S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Back in the fold

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Back in the fold

I have rejoined the pack and picked up an S550 last night in time for my birthday today. Initial observations:

1. The 7 speed tranny is seamless in this car. It almost feels like a CVT. None of the jolts when cold like my previous CLS 500.
2. The ride quality is the best of any car I have been in. There is a distinct different between comfort and sport and the comfort is too floaty and the sport is just right for me.
3. Handling is much better than expected. My last car was a BMW 750 with active roll stabilization and the S 550 feels flatter in the corners and I don't even have ABC!
4. I really have to depress the accelerator to make the car go, unlike the BMW. I suppose this helps in slow speed driving and is more comfortable for passengers, but it takes some getting used to.
5. Sound system is a real step up for Mercedes.
6. Comand is dramatically better than before although there is a learning curve.

Pcitures to come if it ever stops raining here in Northern California.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cangratulations on the car. I think comparisons to the 7 series are particularly interesting. Especially those like yourself who have had both the 750 and the S550. Thanks for the info and please keep it coming. One question, how would you compare the learning curve of the COMAND system to the I-drive system?
Old 04-10-2006, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Congratulations shoes! I would agree with everything you said, especially the 7G. Even with my S430 I had the cold shift problem when starting out...not on the S550. It's like there is no transmission.

I caught on to the COMAND fairly quickly due to the excellent checkout by the dealer. Did you get the phone kit installed or are you waiting like I am? MBUSA says late Spring or early Summer for units to reach the dealers...:-(
Old 04-10-2006, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL600, A8L W12, Continental GT, Range Rover SC
Shoes, it’s good you are back in the fold, although I’m beginning to slip away! While I’m less put off by the S550 styling than when I first saw the car, my wife absolutely hates its looks both inside and out. Thus it looks like no W221 for me. The eventual replacement for my W220 S500 is likely to be either 1) the LS600h, which is set to be introduced at the NY show Wednesday – I think it’ll become the “got to have” sedan of the year – or 2) a Bentley Flying Spur – the downside being its similarity to my GT – or 3) a Cayenne Turbo S. The common thread among these divergent vehicles is that they all have high HP and all-wheel drive, since I will use the thing primarily for winter commuting.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:00 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
S 550

My car supposedly includes the phone kit and I am going to order the bluetooth module.

In comparing I drive from BMW to this new version of Comand, I feel I am too biased to really say which is easier. I have had six BMW's with I drive and am very comfortable with it and this new Comand works somewhat differently (same priciple of course). I will say that the new Comand is more powerful and engaging than the old one, which I rarely made much use of.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by shoes
My car supposedly includes the phone kit and I am going to order the bluetooth module.

In comparing I drive from BMW to this new version of Comand, I feel I am too biased to really say which is easier. I have had six BMW's with I drive and am very comfortable with it and this new Comand works somewhat differently (same priciple of course). I will say that the new Comand is more powerful and engaging than the old one, which I rarely made much use of.
If you have voice control then you have the phone kit installed.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
I have rejoined the pack and picked up an S550 last night in time for my birthday today. Initial observations:

1. The 7 speed tranny is seamless in this car. It almost feels like a CVT. None of the jolts when cold like my previous CLS 500.
2. The ride quality is the best of any car I have been in. There is a distinct different between comfort and sport and the comfort is too floaty and the sport is just right for me.
3. Handling is much better than expected. My last car was a BMW 750 with active roll stabilization and the S 550 feels flatter in the corners and I don't even have ABC!
4. I really have to depress the accelerator to make the car go, unlike the BMW. I suppose this helps in slow speed driving and is more comfortable for passengers, but it takes some getting used to.
5. Sound system is a real step up for Mercedes.
6. Comand is dramatically better than before although there is a learning curve.

Pcitures to come if it ever stops raining here in Northern California.

Wow, this is right up there with the never ending saga with Nevada Jack.....lol! I thought I remember reading a post in which you preferred the 750 to the new S? Ultimately what made you change your mind?

M
Old 04-11-2006, 12:11 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
7 Series versus S 550

I thought highly of the BMW 7 Series but there were a number of troubling issues which maded me switch:

1. Rattles- I had more of these in my BMW than I could tolerate. Everytime I would have the dealer fix one, another would appear. I had the same problem with my 530 xi but they fixed it and now have this issue in my 650. Chasing down the rattles wore me out on the 7.
2. Interior- there was way too much cheap looking plastic in the interior of the 7 and the design was disjointed. I hated the feel of engaging some of the controls, particularly the cheap transmission stalk. The interior of both my 530 and my 650 is much better, richer.
3. Ride- for a luxury car, I found the ride quality brittle bordering on harsh. I did not have the sport package that would only have made it worse.
4. Appearance- some people think this car has presence, but I never could warm up to the appearance.

I loved the seats, found the lease very attractive and thought the 7 performed well.

In the final analysis, I missed owning a Mercedes. I am tired of the E Class and CLS (particularly the SBC brakes) and have never owned an S Class and wanted to give it a try. So far, I like it better than I expected. The car does not seem as enormous as I feared it might. The ride quality is superb. The handling is shockingly excellent for such a large car. The only thing I am struggling with is the effort required to depress the accelerator. This car definately has presence.
Attached Thumbnails Back in the fold-mercedes-s550.jpg  
Old 04-11-2006, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I thought highly of the BMW 7 Series but there were a number of troubling issues which maded me switch:

1. Rattles- I had more of these in my BMW than I could tolerate. Everytime I would have the dealer fix one, another would appear. I had the same problem with my 530 xi but they fixed it and now have this issue in my 650. Chasing down the rattles wore me out on the 7.
2. Interior- there was way too much cheap looking plastic in the interior of the 7 and the design was disjointed. I hated the feel of engaging some of the controls, particularly the cheap transmission stalk. The interior of both my 530 and my 650 is much better, richer.
3. Ride- for a luxury car, I found the ride quality brittle bordering on harsh. I did not have the sport package that would only have made it worse.
4. Appearance- some people think this car has presence, but I never could warm up to the appearance.

I loved the seats, found the lease very attractive and thought the 7 performed well.

In the final analysis, I missed owning a Mercedes. I am tired of the E Class and CLS (particularly the SBC brakes) and have never owned an S Class and wanted to give it a try. So far, I like it better than I expected. The car does not seem as enormous as I feared it might. The ride quality is superb. The handling is shockingly excellent for such a large car. The only thing I am struggling with is the effort required to depress the accelerator. This car definately has presence.
Nice analysis and great picture of a great looking car. Looks fantastic!
Old 04-11-2006, 01:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
Hey Shoes...the throttle "tip in" is different between BMW's and S Class 'Benz cars. I have had plenty of Bimmers and loved them...but you can't get to the "limo" start and stop in a BMW lke you can in a S Class. What I have noticed is I have been challenging myself as to how smoothly I can pull away from a dead stop in my S500 and still stay with traffic. If you do it correctly with the tranny in "comfort" mode you can pull away smoothly and never feel the 7 speed shift.

I have had passengers comment that our S500 is the smoothest and quietest automoble that they have ever been in. The BMW's are driver's cars but tend to compromise the other passenger's comfort while the driver is having fun. The S Class is just a more refined and upscale enviroment.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sprink49
Hey Shoes...the throttle "tip in" is different between BMW's and S Class 'Benz cars. I have had plenty of Bimmers and loved them...but you can't get to the "limo" start and stop in a BMW lke you can in a S Class. What I have noticed is I have been challenging myself as to how smoothly I can pull away from a dead stop in my S500 and still stay with traffic. If you do it correctly with the tranny in "comfort" mode you can pull away smoothly and never feel the 7 speed shift.

I have had passengers comment that our S500 is the smoothest and quietest automoble that they have ever been in. The BMW's are driver's cars but tend to compromise the other passenger's comfort while the driver is having fun. The S Class is just a more refined and upscale enviroment.
It is a pleasure listening to you two discuss the ride properties and driving pleasures of the S550. I will stick to my pictures and expect you guys to add all the analysis and finer points of driving this exquisite car to this forum

Keep them coming...