S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Problem with my New S550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350, 2007 S550 - SOLD, 2007 ML350
Problem with my New S550

Hello all,

I have encountered this problem twice, where the audio function stops functioning.
CD player would not play, radio just blanks out and mp3 will not work as well.

ON the dashboard, under audio and navigation tabs, it just has "------".

After turning off the engine and starting it back up, it fixes itself. I have also managed to completely crash the command system where it restarted while i was driving.

Have anyone else experienced this problem with their command system?
Old 05-04-2006, 09:03 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by i7iceguy
Hello all,

I have encountered this problem twice, where the audio function stops functioning.

After turning off the engine and starting it back up, it fixes itself. I have also managed to completely crash the command system where it restarted while i was driving.

Regretably, this issue is identical to my first W220, a 2000 S430. I had my fingers crossed that I would not be hearing these kinds of problems on the new W221. The good news here is that turning the vehicle on and off does tend to cure the problem, most of the time.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:52 AM

So, when I get my S550 (never gonna happen) and I'm going 80 on the freeway, when the radio craps out, I gotta pull over and shut her down?

Stupid.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Hello all,

Have you contacted your dealer and had them look at the "problem." I have had mine about a month now with over 1300 miles and not a hint of any problems. COMAND had worked perfectly. Perhaps it needs a diagnostic check and update of the software and firmware.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:28 AM

2010 E350, 2007 S550 - SOLD, 2007 ML350
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Have you contacted your dealer and had them look at the "problem." I have had mine about a month now with over 1300 miles and not a hint of any problems. COMAND had worked perfectly. Perhaps it needs a diagnostic check and update of the software and firmware.
ill be going in for my free checkout soon but i will for sure to let them know of all the problems i have noticed. i was hoping that its like that because the voice recognition is not yet installed so the system is not complete. i think this happens because i have a memory card in and the system is trying to access the mp3 and the navigation at the same time, causing it to crap out.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
ill be going in for my free checkout soon but i will for sure to let them know of all the problems i have noticed. i was hoping that its like that because the voice recognition is not yet installed so the system is not complete. i think this happens because i have a memory card in and the system is trying to access the mp3 and the navigation at the same time, causing it to crap out.
I don't have the Voice/Phone Kit installed yet either.

I think you may have found the problem and it relates to the memory card. Check the manual and it had a pretty complete section on the format and such for the memory card. This would seem logical that something with the card access is causing COMAND to crash...does it happen when the card is not in the slot? I have not used the card slot...I am waiting for the iPod kit to be stocked and install that. Keep us advised.

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 05-05-2006 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:52 AM

'06 S430 Sport, '05 C 55 AMG, '06 BMW 330i, '06 VW Beetle Convertible
Hello all,

Once in awhile both of mine's ('06 S 430 and '05 C 55) COMAND system do that and I do get the ----- in the dashboard display. I start the car, everything does not work and a minute or two later it is like the system reboots and it all functions. This happens, at least to me, only when the car is started, not while running. On both cars, because of its infrequency, it is a minor annoyance but I will have the service dept check it on each car's next visit.