S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

No ipod integration for 2007 S550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No ipod integration for 2007 S550

Emailed MB USA asking about availability of ipod integration kit for 2007 S550. I was called the next day by a cordial representative of MB who explained that this was NOT an offered option and that there were no plans to ever offer it.
I was told to use the PCMCIA slot for all my MP3 desires.

Anybody know differently.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:07 AM
asg

2007 S600
Thats what I heard too.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:51 AM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
You were given false information, there is an I-pod kit for the S550. The part number is #67824223 and it is currently unavailable as it is backordered.
It should be available soon, just order it with your local dealer, also whoever told you that should look in a brochure as there is a picture and description of the I-pod kit. It is true that before the S550 was released they didn't have any plans for the I-pod kit..................for some weird reason!
Old 05-12-2006, 07:05 PM

2004 S55
It's been my experience that MBUSA reps know less than the dealers do and those guys are often in the dark about certain things. This is especially the case with unreleased options or models. Here, they're just plain idiots because the iPod integration kit is already shown in the new S accessories catalog. I wouldn't expect them to know an exact availability date (God forbid they should be helpful), but when the item in question is clearly shown in the catalog, they should at least be aware of that. That would completely invalidate the "...there were no plans to ever offer it" comment. Sure things change before and after a launch, but we're 3 months into it now, so they really should get with the program.

Jeff
Old 05-12-2006, 07:10 PM

2004 S55
What I'm curious about is the possibility of having both the iPod integration kit AND the factory installed RSE system that should be available later in the year. On the GL, you can only have one OR the other, but not both. That must have to do with aux input limitations. Of course, the COMAND and audio systems on the new S are different than the GL, so who knows if the limitation will apply to the S as well. I want both when I get my new S next year, so I'm very curious about this.

Jeff
Old 05-12-2006, 08:50 PM
JLP

Originally Posted by rgbyhkr
What I'm curious about is the possibility of having both the iPod integration kit AND the factory installed RSE system that should be available later in the year. On the GL, you can only have one OR the other, but not both. That must have to do with aux input limitations. Of course, the COMAND and audio systems on the new S are different than the GL, so who knows if the limitation will apply to the S as well. I want both when I get my new S next year, so I'm very curious about this.

Jeff
I'm 98% sure that you are correct, if you have the I-pod you cannot have the RSE on the S-class.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Originally Posted by JLP
You were given false information, there is an I-pod kit for the S550. The part number is #67824223 and it is currently unavailable as it is backordered.
It should be available soon, just order it with your local dealer, also whoever told you that should look in a brochure as there is a picture and description of the I-pod kit. It is true that before the S550 was released they didn't have any plans for the I-pod kit..................for some weird reason!

Old 05-13-2006, 01:48 AM

W221-S550
iPod in S550

I just traded my CLS 55 for a 2007 S550. In the CLS55, the iPod integration kit works great but the display does not display International characters (Chinese for some of my MP3s). I use the PCMCIA slot and DVD for the MP#s in my S550 for now and waiting for the iPOD integration kit. And again, it does not display the Chinese characters on the dash display or in the COMAND. It does on my iPOD screen. There is a Chinese language option in the S550 COMAND, but its in that funny simplified characters (not real Chinese IMHO) and even if I choose that, it still does not display the characters.
anyone out there share similar problems?
Old 05-13-2006, 06:15 AM

Mercedes all the way!
its in that funny simplified characters
LMAO, i thought simplified chinese is "the official chinese" in most parts of the world

on a more serious note, though - i don't know. but i'm almost certain the cars we get in asia don't support chinese display for songs as well - at least mine doesn't, but not 100% sure if that's the case everywhere - hcwong might have a better idea?

Last edited by ruykava; 05-13-2006 at 06:17 AM.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:11 AM

2004 S55
Originally Posted by JLP
I'm 98% sure that you are correct, if you have the I-pod you cannot have the RSE on the S-class.
I'm really hoping it's the 2%. I came across this after checking out the "Build Your Own" section o fthe MBUSA site for the GL. There's a disclaimer on both the RSE option and the iPod integration kit noting the mutual exclusivity of the 2. However, the R also offers the same 2 options. On that build to order, no such disclaimer appears on either option. So, my hope is that if it's possible on the R (and I have no idea if it actually is or not), it may be possible on the S.

If it turns out to be true, I'll go with RSE and figure out some alternative for the iPod even if it means going aftermarket. I'd much prefer to stick with a factory option, but if that's my only choice, I guess I'll have to go that route. Damn.

By the way, do you have any specific info that makes you 98% sure?

Jeff
Old 05-13-2006, 10:07 AM
JLP

By the way, do you have any specific info that makes you 98% sure?

Jeff
A close friend of mine has worked in MB parts for 20 years. I'll ask him today and get the 100% answer for you, but I remember him saying no dice.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:21 AM

2004 S55
Originally Posted by JLP
A close friend of mine has worked in MB parts for 20 years. I'll ask him today and get the 100% answer for you, but I remember him saying no dice.
Thanks for that. I also sent a message to a regional manager who I had contact with in early February. At the time there was uncertainty about the iPod Kit and pretty much noi info about the RSE option for US W221s. He was able to confirm the iPod Kit's availability timeline and that the RSE option would be available later this year. Not sure if he'll know a technical detail like this one, but I figure it was worth asking. I'll also post back whatever he replies with.

Jeff
Old 05-13-2006, 06:49 PM
JLP

After speaking with my friend he said he will know on Monday if it will be possible to have both. There still isn't any info in the DOG or on Netstar according to him about the RSE. I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:10 AM

2000 ML320
What The Heck Is RSE?!
Old 05-15-2006, 12:17 PM

'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
Originally Posted by iLoveMyMB
What The Heck Is RSE?!
I had to look that one up too...

"Rear Seat Entertainment"
Old 05-15-2006, 09:19 PM

2000 ML320
Originally Posted by JAdmiral
I had to look that one up too...

"Rear Seat Entertainment"
thanks

I wish they would have the iPod kit available sooooon. I already have all my songs on my iPod, and i dont like to transfer everything to a PCMCIA card again, let alone pay for one.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:28 AM

Talked to my service manager in Florida while getting my first service. He expects that in spite of the representation that no ipod integration is forthcoming for us, it will happen one day anyway.
Well, I can't wait for one day, so I bought a 2 gig memory stick and transfered songs to it. Took many hours mainly because of reorganization of my songs. The PCMCIA works great but upon cranking on some occasions I have to eject the card and reload. Booo.
Well some day I might have a chance to integrate my 60 gig Ipod.
By the way, I have a bluetooth phone also and there is no problem between the two. Bluetooth rocks.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:51 PM
JLP

Your service manager is smoking something, the ipod kit already has a part number and is only on backorder, go to parts and order one.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:57 PM

'03 CLK500
Originally Posted by Gebop
By the way, I have a bluetooth phone also and there is no problem between the two. Bluetooth rocks.
What bluetooth phone do you use?

I asked "Auto Wireless Solutions (AWS)" if my Treo 650 would work with the "Bluetooth Interface" and they said "Not a chance".

Of course, they would say that because they want you to buy one of their "compatible" phones.

I can't give up my Treo 650 for one of their simple minded phones so I was thinking about buying the "Bluetooth Interface" after I get my S550 and just see if it would work and if not, return it for a refund.

Anybody have a definitive answer about how well their "Bluetooth Interface" conforms to the bluetooth standard? I.E. Will it work with most, non-AWS supplied bluetooth phones?
Old 05-16-2006, 03:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 S560; 2021 C300
Taking delivery of my S550 on Saturday and was informed by my dealer that the iPod integration has been installed... Availability is still limited, but they are starting to show up... Will report further on Saturday!
Old 05-16-2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by suprhulk
What bluetooth phone do you use?

I asked "Auto Wireless Solutions (AWS)" if my Treo 650 would work with the "Bluetooth Interface" and they said "Not a chance".

Of course, they would say that because they want you to buy one of their "compatible" phones.

I can't give up my Treo 650 for one of their simple minded phones so I was thinking about buying the "Bluetooth Interface" after I get my S550 and just see if it would work and if not, return it for a refund.

Anybody have a definitive answer about how well their "Bluetooth Interface" conforms to the bluetooth standard? I.E. Will it work with most, non-AWS supplied bluetooth phones?
The Treo 650 will try to work with the MHI Bluetooth interface but it's not that stabile. Some people have had good luck and others have learned to live with the intermittant out of sync, BT noise, and dropped BT connections. You will also not get phonebook download but since you have/will get voice command, it may not be a big deal for you.

I've heard reports that the new Treo 700w has more stabile Bluetooth operation than the 650 so you might also want to give it a try before ditching the BT idea.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:03 PM

Had a Motorola Razr before buying the auto. Was told it would not work because of the software used by my provider, Alltel. Took the wireless people at their word and ordered their Razr and chose Cingular as the provider. Gave my old Razr to wife.
Autowireless then proceeded to transfer the wrong number. Cingular had to retransport the right number. I had to get another SIM card which Cingular shipped free.
The phone autowireless sent me is definitely not the phone Cingular is selling. The software is not as uptodate. For instance, I can't connect to MEdia Net, even after resetting the phone parameters in web access. But this is no bigey because I had enough WAP to download opera
mini. Opera mini is the only way to go for a phone internet connection.
My new phone is better because it is CSM rather that CDMA (hope I am right
about those initials), meaning that it can be used to roam in many foreign countries unlike my old Razr.

Bottom line is that I don't have enough guts to check my old razr to see whether it can also use the Mercedes bluetooth puck. Autowireless states that the wrong software in a phone will ruin the puck and no more warranty. My new phone works so fantastically that I ain't gona try. Sorry.

My Mercedes service manager says he can't install the Ipod adapter referred to by some of you. He insists it will not work in my car. I have dealt with this dealer for more years than I care to say. I consider myself a good customer. They have never refused my money before.

Who has the ipod integration kit installed NOW in their 2007 S550? Who installed it? Please give me a phone # of the dealership. Somebody must if it is backordered. And why the heck am I being given the run around over something as little as an ipod kit?
Old 05-16-2006, 05:05 PM
JLP

What dealership are you working with? The part number is #67824223 and it is specifically for the 2007 S550. Why a service manager would be in the dark about this i-pod kit is odd. Tell him that its currently listed in the accessories brochure for the 07 S-class as well. Good Luck
Old 05-17-2006, 08:49 AM

2004 S55
By the way, I heard back from the regional manager this morning. The question was a little too technical for him so he referred it to one of the S Class product managers in the home office. I would assume that those guys will know for sure one way or the other about having both RSE and the iPod kit in the W221 once both are available.

Jeff
Old 05-17-2006, 10:26 AM
JLP

By the way, I heard back from the regional manager this morning. The question was a little too technical for him so he referred it to one of the S Class product managers in the home office. I would assume that those guys will know for sure one way or the other about having both RSE and the iPod kit in the W221 once both are available.

Jeff
I should have a definite answer today sometime.......I hope!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No ipod integration for 2007 S550