S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

RSE Pictures

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 02:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rgbyhkr
Yeah, and I feel like the choice probably was to possibly compromise the headrest PRESAFE functionality by doing it another way, disable it altogether for vehicles with an RSE option, seriosuly redesign the headrest PRESAFE functionality for all W221s to accommodate the option (assembly line considerations) or do this. This really seems like the most logical compromise. Besides which, pictures never tell a full story so in real life it might look better or worse.
I agre with you, picture do not tell the whole story. I'll see if I can bug my dealer to see if they'll let me take a look at a W221 with RSE. I've never found that paying 2k$ or more for a system that looks like an add-on was worth it.

Again, given the losability of an item from a vehicle, the cheap remote makes sense to me. But hey, don't like it, why don't you BYO? It appears to only be a simple IR remote, so it's codes can be learned by 100s of universal remotes out there. Go crazy and replace it with whatever remote you want. As for OLED, I don't think anyone in the AV remote industry is using OLED display technology for screens on remotes. On the issue of a remote holder, I could be wrong, but I believe that the leather top of the rear armrest behind the controller wheel lifts up to reveal a storage area. The picture o fthe MB remote looks like it is pretty small so it would probably fit there just like the Lexus one does.
Your losability argument holds a lot of weight. I too would also be afraid to lose the remote, but in our family (all grown kids) it's very hard for that to happen.
I think the remote may be replaced by a PDA. It can't be that hard.

OLED's would be cool, it would be Mercedes-like to introduce it into cars

By the way Ricky, none of this is a personal shot at you and while seemingly sounding agressive, this is just my reaction to what I see as knitpicking. I for one am just glad that we might see a factory RSE option offered in the US market. the system has a few omissions but is much better than that sungle monitor in between the seat crap. MBUSA is still working on the compatability issue and there's no assurance that this system will be available for the 2008 model year. However, I have my fingers crossed since I'm #1 on my dealer's list for an 08 S. I should get final word on that early next year and will post here when I do.

Jeff
Nothing personal what so ever, I'm glad someone else takes interest in this
Old 09-09-2006, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55
Ricky,

If you wanted to get some pretty cool remote options, check out RemoteCentral.com. Those guys stay on top of all the latest remotes from Harmony, Philips, URC, UEI, etc. The forums there are also chock full of info on various models. There are a few PDA based remote software solutions out there do you have some good options there as well.

As for seeing the RSE system in person, are you overseas at the moment? I ask because I see your profile location as Sugarland and the RSE isn't available here yet. If you are and you have the chance to check one out, please do take pictures as I'd love to see more real world (not brochure glamour shots) pics of it.

Jeff

Last edited by rgbyhkr; 09-09-2006 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
124, 140, 211, 220, 221, 996
hi guys. i saw a new S500 (550 in the states) with RSE package today when i was dropping my car for a service.

it was the dealership boss' daily driver so i couldnt really get into the car and play around with it.

here's a photo of the RSE system it had. sorry, took it with a camera phone.

let me know if you guys want some more pics. i'll be able to take more when i pick up my car tommorow.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by schwarz
hi guys. i saw a new S500 (550 in the states) with RSE package today when i was dropping my car for a service.

it was the dealership boss' daily driver so i couldnt really get into the car and play around with it.

here's a photo of the RSE system it had. sorry, took it with a camera phone.

let me know if you guys want some more pics. i'll be able to take more when i pick up my car tommorow.
You bet! Click away...
Old 09-11-2006, 04:35 PM

2004 S55
Schwarz,

Thanks for the offer and I'll second Jayhawk's request. Please do take lots of pics! If you wouldn't mind and if possible, could you ask a few questions about it for us saps who don't have the option available yet here in the US? The ones I would like to know are:

- Does the IR remote shown in the pic at the beginning of this thread come with the system? (I've never seen mention of it anywhere else hence my question)

- If it does, where is the IR receiver? Somewhere around the screen, up front, etc?

- Can the RSE playback discs or any other sources from the COMAND system up front? Or is it limited to just the DVD player in the rear armrest and it's 2 aux inputs?

- Can you start up or otherwise control the RSE system from the COMAND system up front? The example would be for cases where young children are riding in the rear and can't control the system themselves. You could get it going for them before you drive off but if the disc ends while you're on a long drive, it would be nice to be able to restart it from the driver's seat.

- This is related to the last question but involves a specific scenario. Apparently there is an audio system option required in order to playback the RSE audio through the vehicle's speakers (at least in HK according to another poster here). If this vehicle has that ability, can you ask if it's possible to choose the RSE source from up front. In other words, let's say you had an MP3 player connected to one of those RSE aux inputs. According to the manual, it seems as if you have to start the RSE system from the rear controls and select that aux source. After that, you can select "Rear" as a source for the front COMAND audio system and it will playback whatever source was selected previoulsy for the RSE system. I was wondering if you could select a particular source from the RSE and not just "Rear" all from the system up front.

- Is the DVD player in the rear armrest just a single disc or a changer?

Thanks in advance for any details you can uncover.

Jeff
Old 09-11-2006, 10:41 PM

just got back from the dealership and i could only find out a few things from the sales rep i was talking to since he didnt know much about the RSE system itself. seems that this car is one of the rare s500 to have a RSE package in town.

- Does the IR remote shown in the pic at the beginning of this thread come with the system? (I've never seen mention of it anywhere else hence my question)

- If it does, where is the IR receiver? Somewhere around the screen, up front, etc?
there was nothing mentioned about an IR remote for the system in the official W221 brochure. but it did say that it'd have the controls in the center armrest as pictured in the first photo of this thread.

- Can the RSE playback discs or any other sources from the COMAND system up front? Or is it limited to just the DVD player in the rear armrest and it's 2 aux inputs?
yes, the RSE can play DVDs, music CDs, and MP3 CDs from the COMAND system.

- Can you start up or otherwise control the RSE system from the COMAND system up front?
yes, the COMAND system can be used to control the RSE.

- Is the DVD player in the rear armrest just a single disc or a changer?
in conjunction with the Logic7 speakers, a DVD stacker is optional with it being placed in where the standard CD stacker is up front.

i hope this information helped.

oh, and the photos.... the rear armrest was folded in yesterday and today. so i couldnt get any photos of the rear controls.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:29 AM

2004 S55
Thanks for the info. Your information is great to have and certainly is different from what the manual seemed to indicate and that's very good.

there was nothing mentioned about an IR remote for the system in the official W221 brochure. but it did say that it'd have the controls in the center armrest as pictured in the first photo of this thread.
Right, that's why I was asking because neither the brohure info nor owner's manual, nor anywhere else I have seen (and I certainly have combed through any information that is out there) mentions the mysterious remote that rstone posted a pic of in the first post. I knew about the rear controller of course but the remote was something that just wasn't talked about anywhere else.

yes, the RSE can play DVDs, music CDs, and MP3 CDs from the COMAND system.
This is very interesting and certainly is good news. From the manual it looked like the RSE system couldn't access the front changer which was a limitation since the rear DVD drive appeared to be single disc only. That guves you a lot more flexibility.

yes, the COMAND system can be used to control the RSE.
Now that really is good news. It would be great to start up the RSE and select a source from the COMAND Controller up front so I can do that for my kids even while driving.

thanks again for the info.

Jeff
Old 09-12-2006, 09:16 AM
skd

2007 S350L
i may be wrong but after using the rse system i think that the command and the system are tottaly independant of each other i.e. you cannot control the upfront cahnger from the back or the rse from the front. Or maybe my car is jsut not configured correctly.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:18 AM
skd

2007 S350L
i may be wrong but after using the rse system i think that the command and the system are tottaly independant of each other i.e. you cannot control the upfront cahnger from the back or the rse from the front. Or maybe my car is jsut not configured correctly.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:41 AM

skd: i might also be wrong as i didnt really use the RSE myself i just relied on the sales rep's words...
Old 09-22-2006, 04:20 PM

Any recent news on RSE (Rear Seat Entertainment) for the US market?

Do you think we will get something this fall?

Should I pull my order and wait?

Will it be available in 2007 model year for 2008?
Old 09-22-2006, 05:08 PM

2004 S55
Originally Posted by Zoomstop
Any recent news on RSE (Rear Seat Entertainment) for the US market?

Do you think we will get something this fall?

Should I pull my order and wait?

Will it be available in 2007 model year for 2008?
It will definitely NOT be available on the US 2007 model year. If they do offer it, it won't be until the 2008 MY and we won't know for sure until sometime in early 2007 (the 2007/2008 model changeover will be mid-year).

Jeff
Old 10-23-2006, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 S600. 2005 Carrera GT. 2007 Range Rover SC. 2008 BMW X5. 1967 SS Chevelle.
Originally Posted by rgbyhkr
Can't miss that familiar nickname. Nice to see you here as well as AVS and the K owners forum. You gonna mount one of the new K 1U servers in the trunk too?

Jeff

Hey don't know how I missed this message.
Yes I would love a kaleidescape system in the trunk!! Man that would be the final peice. I dont know if the K is up to the task of the bumps although the S is very smooth.

I also have a regular Xbox that has tons of games and movies on the upgraded hardrive.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:10 AM
Almost a Member!

Smile Headrest Monitors for W221

I'm currently performing a mobile video and audio system upgrade in a new S600 . I've custom fabricated some headrest monitor shrouds that resemble the factory option, I'll be posting pictures of the Install shortly. I'm thinking of mass producing the completed headrest.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
The RSE system can be fitted afterwards if necessary. I have done my personal car (w203 C class) already with w221 RSE system.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 S600. 2005 Carrera GT. 2007 Range Rover SC. 2008 BMW X5. 1967 SS Chevelle.
Is the RSE kit available for purchase yet in the US? My NJ dealer says not yet.

Originally Posted by sunman
The RSE system can be fitted afterwards if necessary. I have done my personal car (w203 C class) already with w221 RSE system.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:45 PM

2004 S55
Originally Posted by cmcjo
Is the RSE kit available for purchase yet in the US? My NJ dealer says not yet.
It won't be available in the US market until the 2008 model year, if at all. So, I wouldn't think that the parts would be available here until at least then. Euro parts are always a different story of course and probably are available now.

Jeff
Old 11-19-2006, 02:04 AM
Almost a Member!

RSE Monitor Install

Almost finished, I also performed a navigation screen video converson an this vehicle. The headrest monitor housings are covered in custom dyed vinyl. I used 7" wide screen monitors and routed the wiring inside the headrest post. The vehicle will be completed on Monday so I will post many pictures of the Install.

Last edited by CustomInstaller; 11-19-2006 at 02:23 AM. Reason: insert photo
Old 11-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Almost a Member!

Custom RSE Install

Here are some additional photos of the install. What do you think.....

Old 11-20-2006, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by CustomInstaller
Here are some additional photos of the install. What do you think.....

Very impressive! Is the right-side head rest not functioning?
Old 11-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Almost a Member!

Thumbs up Rse

They both work great, bad photo angle....I'll post some daylight shots and pics of the nav screen conversion. I'm about to start work on S550 in which I will install touch-screen monitors in the headrests along with the nav screen conversion.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Almost a Member!

Rse Pics

Here are some better pics of the first install...

aux input

navigation screen video conversion

dvd player in glove box

headrests
Old 11-22-2006, 08:22 AM

I don't like how tick the headrests become when rear seat screens are added... be it orginal or aftermarket. There has got to be a better cosmetic solution somewhere... urghh!
Old 11-22-2006, 10:18 PM
Almost a Member!

Smile Rse

The headrests gained a total of .5 inches in depth to accomodate the monitors. in most people's opinion the headrests look more finished with the monitors that with out..... That dinky little box behind the plush headrest looks out of place. I now have 12 orders from MBZ dealers in 3 states to install similar systems. I'm working on a new mold that will utilize 9" wide screen monitors.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by iBenz
I don't like how tick the headrests become when rear seat screens are added... be it orginal or aftermarket. There has got to be a better cosmetic solution somewhere... urghh!
I agree it does look rather bulky. Still one of the cleanest installs I've every seen though. Must be nice to have skills like that!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RSE Pictures