S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Mud Guards on S550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Mud Guards on S550

Having a white car has it's advantages but also some disadvantages. I note that with the AMG kit and the larger, wider tires, the "spray" pattern is quite extensive over the sides of the car and in particular behind the trailing edge of the wheel wells. With very little rain here the problem is only associated with sprinkler runoff. The other problem is when there is water present from the sprinkler runoff or light rain, the brake dust on the wheels is spattered quite a bit in liquid form. Also, apparently tire dressing will cause this also. I had the car washed on Friday and noted the black spatter on Saturday. I wiped the areas of dispersion of the spatter clean on Saturday and today when I checked the areas they were covered with the black spatter again. Probably ran through some runoff but it is a slight pain at this point.

I note that the MBUSA website has mud guards for the V221 but I don't know if they will fit with the AMG body moulding? Anyone have any info on this or another possible source of them? Has anyone installed mudguards?

TIA
Old 07-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
I doubt that they will fit. The mud guards for the E class will not fit an AMG E class.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by can drive 55
I doubt that they will fit. The mud guards for the E class will not fit an AMG E class.
Thanks...I just called parts in LV and he indicated the same thing.

I see you have a white E55 so probably have a similar situation in Texas.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500/W220/2000
Jack,

I can't even imagine mud guards on a beautiful car like yours! Unless you plan to park it in front of your double-wide.

Re. the "sling" thing: I highly recommend you get another tire dressing and/or tire dresser. There are many good products out there, but the key to eliminating sling is in the application of the product. I have tried many, and the one I have settled on is 303 Protectant, and when I put it on I use an application sponge or cloth. If I spray it on I rub it in or just rub it on to begin w/. When done properly, 303 and most other products will not come off on your car--even in rain. You will, however, still get spray from the normal action of tires on wet streets. Even mud flaps probably will not eliminate that.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Jack,

I can't even imagine mud guards on a beautiful car like yours! Unless you plan to park it in front of your double-wide.

Re. the "sling" thing: I highly recommend you get another tire dressing and/or tire dresser. There are many good products out there, but the key to eliminating sling is in the application of the product. I have tried many, and the one I have settled on is 303 Protectant, and when I put it on I use an application sponge or cloth. If I spray it on I rub it in or just rub it on to begin w/. When done properly, 303 and most other products will not come off on your car--even in rain. You will, however, still get spray from the normal action of tires on wet streets. Even mud flaps probably will not eliminate that.
I agree with you on the use of mud guards Jay...but I don't like the "sling" either.

The car wash uses some commercial product and they put it on pretty heavy sometimes...think I will just not have the tires done from now on. I use Eagle One WET Tire Shine and I use an applicator. They look nice and it lasts. It could be more brake dust "sling" when I pass through some runoff in the streets than the tire dressing maybe? I will just check things out and by process of elimination track the worst part of the problem.

Oh BTW...the car looks great in front of the double-wide...it is also white with black shutters so it blends in nicely...LOL
Old 07-12-2006, 09:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 C63S Cabriolet, 2021 GLE53 Coupe, 2022 GT3 Touring, 2021 Taycan Turbo S, 2022 F-150 Lightning
Jack,
NO MUD GUARDS!!! Although NAPA stores carry the nice black ones with the chrome naked lady on them!
My wife has an alabaster white SL550. I Zaino the car and use their tire dressing as well. It leaves a nice shine (2 coats) and dries to a non greasy finish.
Regards,
Jan
Old 07-12-2006, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jmrdmd
Jack,
NO MUD GUARDS!!! Although NAPA stores carry the nice black ones with the chrome naked lady on them!
My wife has an alabaster white SL550. I Zaino the car and use their tire dressing as well. It leaves a nice shine (2 coats) and dries to a non greasy finish.
Regards,
Jan
Thanks Jan...just ordered 2 jugs of the Zaino dressing...:-)

Trending Topics

Old 07-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 CLS 500(sold), 2005 C230K, 2005 E 320,
NevadaJack, my S550 AMG package is black. After I wash it and drive it, the first thing I do when I'm done is look at the back. Trust me , it shows up on black too. In florida, there is plenty sprinkler run off, my wife thinks I'm mad when I avoid the curbs and drive in the middle. Maybe, if I get ticketed, I'll stop. But, I would never put mudguards. When I was young (17 years ago) I put mudguards on my Camry(first car), and I was cool back then. But never again. I'm waiting for my kids to grow up and then I 'll make them clean off the splatter marks. Enjoy, we got the best cars in the world. Thanks to God.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by abh11570
NevadaJack, my S550 AMG package is black. After I wash it and drive it, the first thing I do when I'm done is look at the back. Trust me , it shows up on black too. In florida, there is plenty sprinkler run off, my wife thinks I'm mad when I avoid the curbs and drive in the middle. Maybe, if I get ticketed, I'll stop. But, I would never put mudguards. When I was young (17 years ago) I put mudguards on my Camry(first car), and I was cool back then. But never again. I'm waiting for my kids to grow up and then I 'll make them clean off the splatter marks. Enjoy, we got the best cars in the world. Thanks to God.
Mud Guards are OUT...Zaino is IN. Those wide tire really throw the stuff around, even with the fender flares...:-)

You are right about the "best cars in the world..." and the S550/600 is the best of the best. I am just so satisfied with this car that words cannot describe how great it really is.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Mud Guards are OUT...Zaino is IN. Those wide tire really throw the stuff around, even with the fender flares...:-)

You are right about the "best cars in the world..." and the S550/600 is the best of the best. I am just so satisfied with this car that words cannot describe how great it really is.
I knew they should have made those fender-flares bigger...
Old 07-12-2006, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jayhawk
I knew they should have made those fender-flares bigger...
Yup...I hated the flares early on and now I think they should have been "sling" tested and enlarged to catch it...:-)))
Old 07-12-2006, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Yup...I hated the flares early on and now I think they should have been "sling" tested and enlarged to catch it...:-)))
That's very funny!!! Thanks Jack!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Thanks...I just called parts in LV and he indicated the same thing.

I see you have a white E55 so probably have a similar situation in Texas.
Like mentioned above, I use Zaino products. Their tire dressing is great. The polish is some of the best that I have ever used. Dirt and road grime almost fall off when I wash the car. You are going to like that tire dressing that you ordered.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by can drive 55
Like mentioned above, I use Zaino products. Their tire dressing is great. The polish is some of the best that I have ever used. Dirt and road grime almost fall off when I wash the car. You are going to like that tire dressing that you ordered.
If I could find someone locally to apply the Zaino to the car I would buy the stuff and pay them to do it. But, I would want someone who has used it and knows how to properly apply it. Thanks for you help...dressing should be here next week.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
If I could find someone locally to apply the Zaino to the car I would buy the stuff and pay them to do it. But, I would want someone who has used it and knows how to properly apply it. Thanks for you help...dressing should be here next week.
Go online at autopia.org and detailersclub.com and ask for a mobile detailer pro in your area, and you will probably get many offers. I did that and found a mod at detailersclub who worked for MB, BMW and Porche and was a Zaino fanatic. He was incredible! Spent five hours at my house, did interior and exterior and charged $175. I gave him $225 he was so good. Turned out he was a friend of Sol Zaino and tested a lot of his products before they went up for sale. These forums can be a great help. Try it. You'll like it.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
If I could find someone locally to apply the Zaino to the car I would buy the stuff and pay them to do it. But, I would want someone who has used it and knows how to properly apply it.
Jack,

Email Sal Zaino sal@zainobros.com to see if there is local distributor. That’s what I did and found a local distributor who sells and applies Zaino products.

For anyone that’s interested in the Phoenix metro area give Glen Swensen a call at 480-753-9377 or email grswensen@earthlink.net – Great advice and tips for modifying the New Jersey instructions for our Arizona climate. Tell him Dan from Scottsdale with the silver CLS referred you.