S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

W221 tested by Top Gear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 03:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
AMG C63s Coupe
W221 tested by Top Gear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZD8STpUpCo
Old 08-02-2006, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
Originally Posted by XZACM102
i just love this car
Old 08-03-2006, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
McLaren 570S, G12 BMW 750Li, GLE63s AMG Coupe
its a nice review but it did come out some time ago.....and brought back reminders of the fifth gear review where the presenter criticised the night vision....contrary to Clarkson in top gear....what the fifth gear reviewer forgot or was ignorant of was that the infra red headlamps only operate above 10km/h....he tested the system with the vehicle at a standstill!!!!

But all in all....i think the s-class can claim to be the best performance luxury sedan in the world....and although i may be biased i dont see any upcoming rival marques being able to beat it.....quality, performance, luxury, safety, technology are all exemplary....in my opinion it shows that despite the problem of the late 90's and early 2000's Benz still knows how to build the best large luxury cars!!!!!
Old 08-03-2006, 06:37 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by dr.skp.ortho

But all in all....i think the s-class can claim to be the best performance luxury sedan in the world....and although i may be biased i dont see any upcoming rival marques being able to beat it.....quality, performance, luxury, safety, technology are all exemplary....in my opinion it shows that despite the problem of the late 90's and early 2000's Benz still knows how to build the best large luxury cars!!!!!
I suppose we will have to wait a few more months to see if the car really is trouble free. It is in fact first model year for the 221, and you cant come to the conclusion that quality is all back. We CAN say that the quality of the feeling of the car (touching the material, drive handling, clunk of doors) is 100% better, but things like "will the suspension break (my W220 ABC broke twice) will the horn break, will the A/C work sometimes, etc) That collective amount of data will be available later on in the year.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Chucky300
I suppose we will have to wait a few more months to see if the car really is trouble free. It is in fact first model year for the 221, and you cant come to the conclusion that quality is all back. We CAN say that the quality of the feeling of the car (touching the material, drive handling, clunk of doors) is 100% better, but things like "will the suspension break (my W220 ABC broke twice) will the horn break, will the A/C work sometimes, etc) That collective amount of data will be available later on in the year.
The car does have a record on the road of 10 months in Europe and 6 months now in the US. I have yet to see any significant complaint (or any for that matter related to quality) or trend in that direction here or on other forums. I am now entering my 5th month of ownership with over 7500 miles and all systems are go. I would think that if some major component was going to fail that it would have shown up by now.

I would agree with dr.skp.ortho that MB is again building the best luxury cars in the world...people would say I am bias...nah...:-)
Old 08-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
The car does have a record on the road of 10 months in Europe and 6 months now in the US. I have yet to see any significant complaint (or any for that matter related to quality) or trend in that direction here or on other forums. I am now entering my 5th month of ownership with over 7500 miles and all systems are go. I would think that if some major component was going to fail that it would have shown up by now.

I would agree with dr.skp.ortho that MB is again building the best luxury cars in the world...people would say I am bias...nah...:-)
Awsome Thats great then! I believe MB is building the best lux cars around as well! My friend had a 1989 300SEL ... when you would get in the car - the feeling of solidity, and VAULT LIKE feeling was so apparent.... I have been inside a W140 and felt the same, but with the W220.... it wasnt really there. Everything felt watered down.... The W221 is JUST like the way the W126 and W140 felt. Really happy to feel this because thats WHY i like mercedes. My friend would tell you, I used to just open and close his doors (it belonged to his dad b4 he got it) just to hear the sound the doors made as they clunked closed.

7500 miles and no prob? Thats Great. You are right. Most would experience some problems by now. They did pump a billion $ into this car's development, so its probably gonna be a trouble free, or at least minimal in the way of kinks. I was always concerned about first model years being the worst cars to get, but lets see! We might have a Gem in our driveways!

=)
B
PS - Lowering your car.... I was just thinking.... if you have sports package, your front airdam bumper is KINDA LOW as it is. if you lowered the car... i think ur bumper would only be a few inches from the ground....

Anyone notice this? the W220 sport package had the bumper a little bit higher up. I luv the lower look - but scuffing on driveways and parking blocks might be an issue?
Old 08-03-2006, 09:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Chucky300
PS - Lowering your car.... I was just thinking.... if you have sports package, your front airdam bumper is KINDA LOW as it is. if you lowered the car... i think ur bumper would only be a few inches from the ground....
Unless sparks are flying whenever you drive your car is not low enough