S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

ABC Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320
ABC Question

hey guys,

I ordered the S550 with the ABC option and wanted your opinions on whether its worth the $3900. It seems pretty steep for just a suspension system. I have no doubts that its a highly sophisticated system. My question is that since I am 100% sure I am going to lower the car, either via star or some lowering module, will the ABC still perform to its full potential. Will lowering the car compromise the ABC in any way or will it still perform what it was meant to do.

Subsequently, since I am going to lower the car, will a suspension setup from Brabus, Kleemann or other tuning house perform better in terms of spirited driving when compared to the ABC, i.e. cornering.

thanks,

Calvin
Old 08-03-2006, 06:32 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by calvinlgoh
hey guys,

I ordered the S550 with the ABC option and wanted your opinions on whether its worth the $3900. It seems pretty steep for just a suspension system. I have no doubts that its a highly sophisticated system. My question is that since I am 100% sure I am going to lower the car, either via star or some lowering module, will the ABC still perform to its full potential. Will lowering the car compromise the ABC in any way or will it still perform what it was meant to do.

Subsequently, since I am going to lower the car, will a suspension setup from Brabus, Kleemann or other tuning house perform better in terms of spirited driving when compared to the ABC, i.e. cornering.

thanks,

Calvin
Hey Calvin
The ABC really is quite a fabulous feature - it is eary to make a turn at high speeds, and expect the car to naturally roll as the weight shifts....... but you remain flat, and in sport mode, even MORE flat. If that is the kind of performance youd expect from the car, ABC will definetly meet your wishes.

I dont know anything bout lowering so I dunno what to say about that. Check with your dealer if lowering will effect the ABC.

Brad
Old 08-03-2006, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by calvinlgoh
hey guys,

thanks,

Calvin
Boy that is a tough question. That suspension is so sophisticated that any lowering could effect it and the ride as well. I would definitely check with the dealer and with the performance manager if they have one regarding the lowering impact. Perhaps one of the sponsors could answer that question for you.

BTW...it is certainly worth the $3900! The ride is superb and roll and sway is a thing of the past.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:01 PM

CLS500, CLK500
lowering effects?

Check with someone who knows, like Mercedes dealers who also sell modified vehicles (custom performance, etc.).

I certainly trust Hartmut at RennTech, who used to be AMG USA manager, before Mercedes bought them...

www.renntechmercedes.com
Old 08-04-2006, 03:32 AM

C320
THanks guys... will definitely try to get someone who knows the system well to chime in on this... let you guys know if i come out with anything...

at least I know from Jack that its well worth the $3900

calvin
Old 08-04-2006, 05:03 AM
ON PROBATION

I think that you are going to want to start with the ABC -- and then have any tuning or modifying start from there.

I would not order the car without the ABC....
Old 08-04-2006, 05:37 AM

03 E500
Isn't ABC part of the airmatic system? If you can order one without ABC does the car still have airmatic, or it will use springs instead?
Old 08-04-2006, 06:43 AM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by Dvinn
Isn't ABC part of the airmatic system? If you can order one without ABC does the car still have airmatic, or it will use springs instead?
Hi

Airmatic is one suspension using Air pumpes.

ABC is a totally different one, using Hydraulics....
Old 08-04-2006, 09:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
Calling Renntech is a great suggestion. You know that lowering the car will not provide any handling advantages ....a S550 w/ABC drives like it's on rails anyway. Make sure you don't screw up something that millions of dollars went into the engineering of. If lowering is purely an aesthetic thing with you, you might consider ordering the car without ABC and do what ever you want. I would suspect that lowering the car would possibly screw up the suspension dynamics.

Hartmut at Renntech will know. If it can be done, he will know. If he says no...don't try it. If he says yes...get your check book out.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:35 AM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by sprink49
Calling Renntech is a great suggestion. You know that lowering the car will not provide any handling advantages ....a S550 w/ABC drives like it's on rails anyway. Make sure you don't screw up something that millions of dollars went into the engineering of. If lowering is purely an aesthetic thing with you, you might consider ordering the car without ABC and do what ever you want. I would suspect that lowering the car would possibly screw up the suspension dynamics.

Hartmut at Renntech will know. If it can be done, he will know. If he says no...don't try it. If he says yes...get your check book out.
That is exactly the advice you should follow. I 2nd that.... order without ABC and lower as I have seen W220's lowered using Airmatic - but never with ABC.... I can testify - the ABC makes the S550 corner like it is on Rails. I have not yet tried it out fully due to the break in period - but I can only say that so far - at 50mph - it is still flat!

500 miles more to go till break in is done!
Old 08-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Lowering S550 with ABC

It possible to lower the S550 via reprogramming the ABC computer. Your dealer can lower the setting on the ABC without adding any additional equipment.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by 2007sclass.com
It possible to lower the S550 via reprogramming the ABC computer. Your dealer can lower the setting on the ABC without adding any additional equipment.
HI!
Wow, does that effect ride quality (for the good and the bad)..... how much can they lower it?

Thanks!
Brad
Old 08-04-2006, 10:58 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
Thank you Mr. Glauser...we all learned something today.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:29 PM

C320
Thanks Glauser for replying. I would think that since the ABC is programmable via the dealership, its performance would not be compromised. Otherwise, the dealer or MB themselves would not have made it possible to do so.

In anycase, I will call Renntech to make sure as well as Brabus NA and see if they know anything.

I would definitely not compromise the performance of the ABC system, however, I would want the car to sit lower for aesthetic reasons so I would probably cancel the ABC on my order. I am planning install the Brabus package, and not lowering the car just dont sound right.

Glauser, pls chime in on the performance of the car with lowered ABC settings via the dealer. How was the cars that had the Brabus, Lorinser and Carlsson packages lowered? The respective brands lowering module? Did they have ABC?

Thanks

Calvin