S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Convertible S Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML55
Convertible S Class

don't know if someone posted something about it, but saw this in a german auto mag at the dealership.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/06/22/s...d-for-detroit/
Old 08-09-2006, 02:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CLS 63 S AMG , s500,clk550
a convertable s class would be the uglyiest benz ever. the s class as it is now is a sweeett looking car. they should just keep it a sedan. the sl is the benz covertable
Old 08-12-2006, 04:19 PM

'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
Originally Posted by Modeer
don't know if someone posted something about it, but saw this in a german auto mag at the dealership.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/06/22/s...d-for-detroit/
Cruising along the Pacific coast, top down and the wind blowing your hair? Mmmm.. that's a ride. I'd give it a solid look.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:24 PM

Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche, Aston Martin, Chevrolet
I do not believe that the concept of this car will be accepted by the typical Mercedes-Benz customer. Sure it is a very nice concept idea, but I believe that this concept directly conflicts with the idea of the SL-Class. But I truley do not know what this concept will lead to or how the MB customer will react two the conept, just my prediction.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:25 PM

Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche, Aston Martin, Chevrolet
Originally Posted by JAdmiral
Cruising along the Pacific coast, top down and the wind blowing your hair? Mmmm.. that's a ride. I'd give it a solid look.
However I do agree with JAdmiral, that would be a very interesting experience.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
I don't know if its just me, but I think a drop top S-class would be completely classless.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:48 PM

2001 Lorinser Edition CL600 (SOLD)
Originally Posted by AMG1
I do not believe that the concept of this car will be accepted by the typical Mercedes-Benz customer. Sure it is a very nice concept idea, but I believe that this concept directly conflicts with the idea of the SL-Class. But I truley do not know what this concept will lead to or how the MB customer will react two the conept, just my prediction.
In no way would it take away any spotlight from the SL which is a two-seater roadster and a completely different driver. As long as the design, the boot, and the look is right, it will fill a much-needed niche in the top-of-the-line four-door luxury class; as it stands now, there is only the CLK convertible which doesn't even qualify for that spot and does not have four doors. If you look at Gennadi Design's (an aftermarket co.) work, it gives us a similar look in the Maybach which I think is one of the best I've seen and quite an elegant and tasteful conversion, certainly taking the car from the uber-luxury status to a super-exotic and a real gorgeous head-turner. Unfortunately, the cost of the conversion outweighs the practicality:

http://www.vgdauto.com/maybach.html

The same would be for the S-class, except the cost would be more palatable since it'd be spread over more units, and the workmanship even better, since it'd be factory! I vote YES for this to go into production. No one has a factory four-door luxury cabriolet out these days. Merc definitely needs more variants in the top-of-the-line luxury class instead focusing down-market.

Now if they do the new CL in a roadster version......hmmmmm....that may change my vote.

Last edited by CLFREAK; 08-13-2006 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:58 PM

ML55
well said CLFREAK... i think many people who:
-dont think the SL is a big enough car for them
-dont think the SL is a car that fits an older person
-would like to enjoy the spacious luxury of an S class and the unconstrained (is that a word) feel of an SL
-are too big to fit in the driver seat of an SL comfortably
etc.
would go for the S class convertible
plus i believe if it hits its market, it will be a trendsetter and probably introduce a new product for other companies to follow, knowing MBs history in that, i think it can very well be a good go, on a short wheel base though.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by newton22
I don't know if its just me, but I think a drop top S-class would be completely classless.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
I can't see this type of car coming to market. Now Mercedes might do a converitible CL, but I can't see a 4-door S-Class with no top. The weight would be way up do to all the re-engineering needed to make the body stiff on such a long car. I can't imagine what the structural rigidity would be with the rear doors opened. I'd say that the press is mistaken on this one. Maybach may do such a thing, but I can't see the S-Class. Maybe the CL since MB has played with the idea of a CL Cabriolet since the W140 Coupe days.

M
Old 08-14-2006, 09:02 AM

ML55
by the time they introduce the new CL, they wouldnt have time to come up with a CL convertible before the new SL (one of the oldest bodies now along with the C, E, and CLK) is out. i dont know why but i think the CL convertible is a far-more-fethced idea than the convertible S class (plus the engineer at my dealership told me that this time, it was for sure). anyways, i think if they find the S class convertible idea hard to engineer, they will most probably work on making the CLK convertible more appealing (which i recommend!) or the SL more spacious (which i oppose, well a lil more legroom but thats it) rather than introduce a CL convertible, imho.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:25 PM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
They probably have again heard rumors of a S chassis CL convertible which would be the obvious choice for Mercedes over a 4 door S. If MB made a S convertible I would probably have to stop buying MB's forever....it would be a complete joke in my eyes. The CL rag-top would take a percentage of SL customers...the SL is not a true sports car guys, but besides the SLR and race version CLK its as closest MB has gotten to one. If there was a CL drop top, Mercedes will make the next generation SL own it for sure in every category besides head room and comfort. You can take that to the bank.

MB better not pull this crap....Its not a design break through like the CLS where the only negative issue is the small amount of headroom for the back passengers; this would probably turn Mercedes into much less respected brand by past and future customers. Maybe BMW will bring out a 7 series convertible to compete, which would be the ugliest car on earth, and we can all buy these 4 door flagship convertibles and look like morons....did I actually write that

The other thing is, if I needed a full size 4 door my first instinct would be to buy a S550. If they made a convertible version I would never touch one in a billion years hardtop or not.

I have to call BS on this...I hope.

Last edited by CY; 08-14-2006 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
I agree!

M
Old 08-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Banned

F248 F1
Originally Posted by newton22
IMO Merc over the last 10 years has slowly been loosing its roots and class.

*flame suit on*