S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Winter Driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Winter Driving

Hi Everyone.

I have a question!! Are the traction Control / ESP Devices for the 221 different than the 220 ?

I already bought a new set of winter tires / wheels for the snow so I dont harm my AMGs, (and the fact that the AMGs would never get me anywhere in the snow)

Your thoughts? Did the 221 improve on the traction systems?

Bradley
Old 09-18-2006, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500 2003, S 600 Model 2007
Get delivery of the latest Sept 2006 production S 600 tomorrow (Model year 2007 startet early September in Germany). Basically all options except AMG Outfit but including 20Z AMG weels. Today they recommended strongly to order winter tires already now. The powerful S 600 is hard to drive under winter conditions and need definitly the best tires available. Recommend to go with 18Z only.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by Chucky300
Hi Everyone.

I have a question!! Are the traction Control / ESP Devices for the 221 different than the 220 ?

I already bought a new set of winter tires / wheels for the snow so I dont harm my AMGs, (and the fact that the AMGs would never get me anywhere in the snow)

Your thoughts? Did the 221 improve on the traction systems?

Bradley
I think you have a different system, but I would post your question on The Tire Rack forum here and ask Luke. He was very helpful to me last year and specifically told me not to get the then hottest winter tires (Brookstone Blizzaks) because my ESP would "think" the tires were spinning out of control even when they were not, and would stop the car in its tracks. He said the very best winter tire for my car was the Michelin X-Ice, and boy was he right. It's almost impossible to brake traction, even on ice or deep snow. And the ESP system loves them! They are fantastic.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
I think you have a different system, but I would post your question on The Tire Rack forum here and ask Luke. He was very helpful to me last year and specifically told me not to get the then hottest winter tires (Brookstone Blizzaks) because my ESP would "think" the tires were spinning out of control even when they were not, and would stop the car in its tracks. He said the very best winter tire for my car was the Michelin X-Ice, and boy was he right. It's almost impossible to brake traction, even on ice or deep snow. And the ESP system loves them! They are fantastic.
Tirerack told me to get the DUNLOP WINTER SPORT M3s.... they are = to the blizacks. Should be ok for the winter.

the Michelin X ICe... hmm. He didnt mention that on the phone.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Tirerack told me to get the DUNLOP WINTER SPORT M3s.... they are = to the blizacks. Should be ok for the winter.

the Michelin X ICe... hmm. He didnt mention that on the phone.
That's why I suggested you contact TTR. They know what is best for our cars given the make, model and year. I've seen Luke recommend those DWS M3s for other newer cars. If that is what they recommend that is want you probably should get. They can deliver them to a TTR Installer near you w/in 24 hours. I'm glad you called.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:14 PM
Banned

2014 S550
That's why I suggested you contact TTR. They know what is best for our cars given the make, model and year. I've seen Luke recommend those DWS M3s for other newer cars. If that is what they recommend that is want you probably should get. They can deliver them to a TTR Installer near you w/in 24 hours. I'm glad you called.
I bought a wheel / tire package from them so the dunlops are already mounted to wheels and balanced, so now i just have to take the AMGS off and put these new ones on. Ill do that in late november just b4 snow.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
I bought a wheel / tire package from them so the dunlops are already mounted to wheels and balanced, so now i just have to take the AMGS off and put these new ones on. Ill do that in late november just b4 snow.
OK!!! You're smarter than you look! You did it exactly right! I usually change my summers to winter in early December, but last year we got an early snow on Dec. 1 and I was driving around on my Eagle F1s in several inches of snow and ice! Have you ever tried to steer a two-ton tobaggon? It isn't fun and neither was cleaning off my beautiful leather seats afterwards...

What wheels did you get? Post some pics in early Dec...
Old 09-19-2006, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
i made it fine in the winters with my michelin pilots (although i had a 320 engine )... never got stuck once... but the winter tires cant hurt... good luck
Old 09-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by clkcadet
i made it fine in the winters with my michelin pilots (although i had a 320 engine )... never got stuck once... but the winter tires cant hurt... good luck
Are your michelin pilots an all season or the summer performance tires? Makes all the difference.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:31 AM
Banned

2014 S550
OK!!! You're smarter than you look! You did it exactly right! I usually change my summers to winter in early December, but last year we got an early snow on Dec. 1 and I was driving around on my Eagle F1s in several inches of snow and ice! Have you ever tried to steer a two-ton tobaggon? It isn't fun and neither was cleaning off my beautiful leather seats afterwards...

What wheels did you get? Post some pics in early Dec...
lol jayhawk! I AM SMART, and i look smart too... nut
I bought 18" Dunlop Sport M3.

Click this Link......

http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheel...e_e1_ci3_l.jpg
Old 09-19-2006, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
lol jayhawk! I AM SMART, and i look smart too... nut
I bought 18" Dunlop Sport M3.

Click this Link......

http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheel...e_e1_ci3_l.jpg
Very nice! You'll have the nicest winter wheels in NYC. Did you say if they are stagarred or not?
Old 09-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Very nice! You'll have the nicest winter wheels in NYC. Did you say if they are stagarred or not?
HI HI
Nah = not staggered. i dont think thats good for the winter. But at least they are 18" and wont look stupidly small on an obviously massive machine =)
Old 09-19-2006, 02:53 PM

Are your michelin pilots an all season or the summer performance tires? Makes all the difference.
Ditto, there is practically no difference in handling between all season and winter tires, nor will there be any difference in extreme situations like ice. winter tires make a slight difference when stopping and starting off in packed snow.

is there alot of snow in New York? how cold does it usually get in the winter? Up here in the north, if you don't have AWD, regardless of what tires you have, be prepared to to a lot of pushing. (a rear wheel sedan usually won't make it on the slight incline to your garage.)
Old 09-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by kevine310
Ditto, there is practically no difference in handling between all season and winter tires, nor will there be any difference in extreme situations like ice. winter tires make a slight difference when stopping and starting off in packed snow.

is there alot of snow in New York? how cold does it usually get in the winter? Up here in the north, if you don't have AWD, regardless of what tires you have, be prepared to to a lot of pushing. (a rear wheel sedan usually won't make it on the slight incline to your garage.)
NY Gets a lot of snow if there is a blizzard. As for the # of snowstorms, it really varies. some years not so much, with just 3 strong blizzards, and some years we get many 6"ers and a few big ones. Depends.

ALL SEASON and WINTER are basically ok for regular snow, the winter ones work a bit better when the snow gets more intense.
ON ICE....it doesnt matter what you have - nothing will grip ice.

Inclinations....VERY hard for rear drive cars to make it up - but with snow tires, and no ice....it should be ok. But, dont bet that you wont slide back down =)
Old 09-19-2006, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
They were the summer performance tires.... the cars lease is now expired.... i think i did fine with them, since in brooklyn they clean the streets very well... i know you live near me so you wouldnt have that problem, But i dont think anyone should make any risks... if i could do it again i would purchase a set of winter tires just to be on the safe side
Old 09-19-2006, 06:54 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by clkcadet
They were the summer performance tires.... the cars lease is now expired.... i think i did fine with them, since in brooklyn they clean the streets very well... i know you live near me so you wouldnt have that problem, But i dont think anyone should make any risks... if i could do it again i would purchase a set of winter tires just to be on the safe side
Here in Mill Basin, our streets are forgotten for the first 2 days of the storms. Making it out of our area during a storm is tough. Winter tires do make it easier, but during a 2 foot blizzard, the only cars able to move around are the SUV's. I HAVE seen enough S500 4Matics stuck in a ditch. Not enough clearance, not enough traction in the All seasons..........
Old 09-19-2006, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by kevine310

My winter tires get incredibly better traction and handling on snow and ice than did my all-season OEM Michelin's. I mean day and night difference! Hell, my Eagle F1 summer tires get better traction and handling in snow and ice than the OEMs. My ESP system would cause the car to come to a complete stop w/ the OEMs on slippery streets. Unbelievable...
Old 09-21-2006, 10:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 C63S Cabriolet, 2021 GLE53 Coupe, 2022 GT3 Touring, 2021 Taycan Turbo S, 2022 F-150 Lightning
Tire Pressure Monitoring

Brad,
What did you do about the TPM sensors? I'm thinking of the same set-up. Thanks!
Jan