S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Valet Paranoia!!! Need Advice!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 07:50 AM

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts
S580, GTC, GL550, NEW S550, S63 (Sold), S550 (Sold), ML350, C230
Valet Paranoia!!! Need Advice!

I refuse to valet my car!!!! Is this normal behavior??? Please make some sense to me please and tell me how to overcome and let go!!! In addition, tell me how much you guys give valet to leave the car upfront and not drive it.

I know most of you have the "I'll just replace It" mentality but I am just sick in lust with me new S.

Thanks in advance,
reelestates
Old 11-16-2006, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 VW Jetta GLX VR6
Originally Posted by reelestates
I refuse to valet my car!!!! Is this normal behavior??? Please make some sense to me please and tell me how to overcome and let go!!! In addition, tell me how much you guys give valet to leave the car upfront and not drive it.

I know most of you have the "I'll just replace It" mentality but I am just sick in lust with me new S.

Thanks in advance,
reelestates
I agree completely with the not wanting to have your new bautiful S valet parked. My uncle just had the rims on the A6 all scuffed up and it took him FOREVER to get them to pay for it.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 S600. 2005 Carrera GT. 2007 Range Rover SC. 2008 BMW X5. 1967 SS Chevelle.
Valet parking is a tough thing to do when you have to hand over your $100K+ car to strangers who are notorius for not taking care of cars.

I will avoid valet as much as possible, like taking a different vehicle if there is valet only or trying to self park.

There will be some times that you have to valet park and I will just hand over $20 and tell him it must be in the front and taking very well care of.

My last car was also black and I hate those door dings that stick out. I refuse to let that happen on this new car.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1993 300SEL/S320
I stayed in a hotel once in Wellington NZ The Bolton, just so you all know don't take a car there. They have sort of a carosel I guess you would call it where all the cars get stacked up on this revolving thing under the building the car above mine had an oil leak the valet drove the car up with a massive oil smudge over the front window, I know they saw it as it was huge, I got them to clean it off and just asked them to make a note of it and perhaps put something over the car etc, the next day another oil leak, I got really pissy and complained to the first person I saw who happened to be the manager who was walking through the lobby, hehe I don't think I can trust valet parker again after that.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by cmcjo
Valet parking is a tough thing to do when you have to hand over your $100K+ car to strangers who are notorius for not taking care of cars.

I will avoid valet as much as possible, like taking a different vehicle if there is valet only or trying to self park.

There will be some times that you have to valet park and I will just hand over $20 and tell him it must be in the front and taking very well care of.

My last car was also black and I hate those door dings that stick out. I refuse to let that happen on this new car.
I have a Fund Raising Gala this weekend... I am already threating not to go if I have to valet. My wife is quick to remind me that we own an "S" for precisely this type of event... to be in the lap of Saloon luxury!!! She states- that using another one of our cars is simply not acceptable and that she would reconsider the permission given for S-class aquisition.

I refuse for a 18 year old Fast & Furious wannabe touch my $100k!!! Moreover, ding my doors.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Try to find the oldest person to valet your car?

I was on ClubLexus a while ago...and a GS owner has a not-so-good experience with valets. He was at a restaurant or something, and the valet opened all the windows. The guy's suit, briefcase, PDA was in the car, and it all got stolen by someone that saw the windows were open.

Luckily none of the information was confidential or vital.

Make note of everything that you have in the car. If you want, even take pics of all angles and wheels, etc. Before you even leave the parking lot do a look around to see if any damage has been done. If the situation doesn't allow you to do that...then pull around the building or something, but stay in the parking lot and within eyesight distance of the valet. That way he can't argue that you did the damage to make them pay, because he say you, and you never left........

Good luck!
Old 11-16-2006, 06:03 PM

After the damage is done... it's done!!! You are violated and the car is never the same.

I had a Marriott punk smash my truck. 6 months hat r and a legal threat I got barely paid. There is the bondo & color match as a reminder that some punk kid smashed my new truck.

I'm ranting!!! I guess I need counseling???
Old 11-16-2006, 09:01 PM

2001 Lorinser Edition CL600 (SOLD)
You all know the cars I have driven, the attention they tend to attract and how fussy I am about detail; the last thing I need to worry about is whether the valet will park the car in the protected and safe top spot or not. Here in Vegas, you're pretty much forced to valet at any decent establishment unless you want to leave a half-hour early to self-park and then spend half the time walking to and from your car, which, when you're driving something as nice as an S-class I look at as an insult. Also, no one in a self-park cares about your ride, let alone there's, so door dings are even more a concern. It's always some a**hole that will intentionally go way out of his way to park next to your carefully distant spot just to **** you off. In any case, you're driving one of the top-of-the-line vessels in today's luxury lineup, so you should be pampered, after all. Just like anything else, you get what you pay for - at least 99% of the time - with a valet. He works hard for his tip and if he wants repeat business, he will make certain you get VIP rock-star treatment. If your car is really tricked out (as mine always are), I find the valets will usually go ahead and automatically park it right out front (which gives the establishment free advertising) - and will sometimes even put cones around it - which not only prevents them from driving it for more than a few feet - but keeps it far away from anyone else, making it impossible for door dings, etc. I have even made friends with many of the valets around town which is always a nice treat when you pull up.

In my five+ years of consistent valeting, I have only had one theft of a digital camera - but never a vandalism or even unintentional damage - but, then again, I have probably helped put a few valets through college!

Last edited by CLFREAK; 11-16-2006 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Wow, college must be real cheap in Vegas......
Old 11-16-2006, 10:49 PM
pas

2007 S65, 2005 Nissan Armada
I never valet period. If there is no self parking option I don't go. I would much rather walk a block then have some idiot messing around with my car, stealing my change and finding new dents and scratches.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:03 PM

2001 VW Jetta GLX VR6
Originally Posted by reelestates
I have a Fund Raising Gala this weekend... I am already threating not to go if I have to valet. My wife is quick to remind me that we own an "S" for precisely this type of event... to be in the lap of Saloon luxury!!! She states- that using another one of our cars is simply not acceptable and that she would reconsider the permission given for S-class aquisition.

I refuse for a 18 year old Fast & Furious wannabe touch my $100k!!! Moreover, ding my doors.
Tell the wife you bought the S because you love cars and it is second to none in luxury, not to show the neighbors that you can afford one (or your guests for that matter).

Old 11-16-2006, 11:22 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by pas
I never valet period. If there is no self parking option I don't go. I would much rather walk a block then have some idiot messing around with my car, stealing my change and finding new dents and scratches.
I agree.
There is this restaurant on Staten Island my friends and I go to all the time. ONLY VALET - and when I pull up - they still remember me from the first time when I said frankly "ABSOLUTELY NOT..... NO!" and i said it sternly, but not loud to attract attention. One "boy" told me that it was the only way - and I said..."There is NO way but my way... take the next car please" and that was that. I pulled into the closest spot and parked it myself and got it back later on my own. I do not wish to have the violated feeling. It isnt the money. I can afford to pop a dent - its teh feeling of violation. I HATE THAT feeling. I take such good care of the car... and to have somoene that doesnt give a darn about it... put a ding in it so he can move on to the next car... nope!
Old 11-17-2006, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K
I was 19 when i bought this car and paid it all by my self, i will never trust valet cause i know what they want to do, i always see them stare me down as i pass. I think its pretty funny as they think ima give my car to them, not in a million years! Its my baby and if i wanna wreck it i wanna do it not them! Im now 20 but its still my baby, i hand wash it never get a auto car wash done and i wax it atleast once a month and in the winter i put 2 coats of wax on for the road salt, i also always walk around the car everytime i get in it invested the money in it so ima make it last! just my $.2
Old 11-17-2006, 01:00 AM

W126, W140, W201, W208
Why don't you rent a limo for the night?
Old 11-17-2006, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by pas
Perhaps in places where there IS an option to park right in front and not have him drive it in a lot (which defeats the whole purpose of doing valet) why not just tip him enough so that you don't have to worry? If there isn't that option, and the valet is garage or lot only + you have to wait around, then I'd resort to self-park. The Wynn here is the absolute sh*ts when it comes to that. I ALWAYS self-park because he's too cheap to allow for the nicer, upscale cars to park out in front like all normal hotels! I saw a guy wait for his $300K Lambo to come up from the garage, and all the while I was clenching my teeth thinking the 18 yr old valet driving it was going to burn out the clutch on the way up!
Old 11-17-2006, 08:12 AM

Get a driver, it will eventually be cheaper than the bypass surgery if giving the keys to a valet it is that big a deal for you and causes aditional blood pressure.

Tipically they get use to the cars after a while and remember that (depending where you go) the valet also handles Ferraris, Porsches, BMWs, Bentleys, and Maseratis. Luxury cars are less exclusive these days. The basics on your car are not going to be any nicer than the next one in line.

I personally never use valet, specially when getting a new car with newer technology like the keyless go when it came out, or the gear changer on the ML or S. It is something new for them to play with and for me it is not a toy. If there is no choice, I usually find one. However, I must admit that in my friend group I am the exception.

J
Old 11-17-2006, 08:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by 02S430
I was 19 when i bought this car and paid it all by my self, i will never trust valet cause i know what they want to do, i always see them stare me down as i pass. I think its pretty funny as they think ima give my car to them, not in a million years! Its my baby and if i wanna wreck it i wanna do it not them! Im now 20 but its still my baby, i hand wash it never get a auto car wash done and i wax it atleast once a month and in the winter i put 2 coats of wax on for the road salt, i also always walk around the car everytime i get in it invested the money in it so ima make it last! just my $.2
IDK maybe its just my family, when ever we valet my cousins and my dad (i'm to small to scare someone 5'11") but they are always pissed when they valet and give the valet driver a talking too...The funniest hing i ever said was you scratch the benz and I'll scrat you d**k. What i found interesting is speaking like that you get much better service!!!

Except for the amazing valet places in which case it's here are the keys I'll see you in an hour, btw the car will tell me how much it's been driven when you start it! Turn off the car and give the keys!
Old 11-17-2006, 01:56 PM

2007 S600. 2005 Carrera GT. 2007 Range Rover SC. 2008 BMW X5. 1967 SS Chevelle.
Originally Posted by harpz
...The funniest hing i ever said was you scratch the benz and I'll scrat you d**k. What i found interesting is speaking like that you get much better service!!!
That won't work for some places though and will backfire on you. Especially here in NJ these kids will be like .OK sir will do... with a smile. And then when they turn the corner..
Old 11-17-2006, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1993 300SEL/S320
At the airports here we have valet parking, you know when you store your car and they clean it etc before you return, a girl I know her Dad's car arrived late so he wandered over to the parking shead where the young guys were messing around with his car, he went ape and I think some of them lost their jobs.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by cmcjo
That won't work for some places though and will backfire on you. Especially here in NJ these kids will be like .OK sir will do... with a smile. And then when they turn the corner..
idk so far it hasn't backfired 4 years clean!!...lol...what ever happened to let me park in a big open area? I remember they would make lines 4" wider on each side for the "executive clients"
Old 11-17-2006, 03:51 PM

Velvet Fleetwood
ok,,, rule #1. always tip the guy upfront. I never ever let a valet park my car... but... if you pull up, hand the valet a $20 and ask to park it your self in the front spot, more then likely he will let let you. Just maks sure to back the car in. For most places $20 is fine, depending on how exclusive the place is, sometimes $50. If you're going to drop $200 - $300 on dinner, I don't see how an extra $20 would be an issue. Don't use the self parking, take care of your baby, and besides, if your gf is with you, I'm sure getting a front spot will make you look much better then walking half a mile to get to the place.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
Originally Posted by vb26
ok,,, rule #1. always tip the guy upfront. I never ever let a valet park my car... but... if you pull up, hand the valet a $20 and ask to park it your self in the front spot, more then likely he will let let you. Just maks sure to back the car in. For most places $20 is fine, depending on how exclusive the place is, sometimes $50. If you're going to drop $200 - $300 on dinner, I don't see how an extra $20 would be an issue. Don't use the self parking, take care of your baby, and besides, if your gf is with you, I'm sure getting a front spot will make you look much better then walking half a mile to get to the place.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by vb26
This is more the rule than the exception and even moreso here in Vegas; you are right on the $$$!

I mean, are you going to pick up your date and drive your $100K+ car to self-park and then walk? That'll be the last time she goes out with you!
Old 11-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Banned

cl500-o5, s500 sedan-o4, new s550 sedan
some valets are great, for example the valet at the 4 seasons in los colinas are excellent, while the valet at the cresent court are avarage, it always worriies me tho, just like another member pointed out once the damage is done it's done. if the car is brand new, i will self park, after a year or so i am not quite as ****.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:48 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by CLFREAK
You all know the cars I have driven, the attention they tend to attract and how fussy I am about detail; the last thing I need to worry about is whether the valet will park the car in the protected and safe top spot or not. Here in Vegas, you're pretty much forced to valet at any decent establishment unless you want to leave a half-hour early to self-park and then spend half the time walking to and from your car, which, when you're driving something as nice as an S-class I look at as an insult. Also, no one in a self-park cares about your ride, let alone there's, so door dings are even more a concern. It's always some a**hole that will intentionally go way out of his way to park next to your carefully distant spot just to **** you off. In any case, you're driving one of the top-of-the-line vessels in today's luxury lineup, so you should be pampered, after all. Just like anything else, you get what you pay for - at least 99% of the time - with a valet. He works hard for his tip and if he wants repeat business, he will make certain you get VIP rock-star treatment. If your car is really tricked out (as mine always are), I find the valets will usually go ahead and automatically park it right out front (which gives the establishment free advertising) - and will sometimes even put cones around it - which not only prevents them from driving it for more than a few feet - but keeps it far away from anyone else, making it impossible for door dings, etc. I have even made friends with many of the valets around town which is always a nice treat when you pull up.

In my five+ years of consistent valeting, I have only had one theft of a digital camera - but never a vandalism or even unintentional damage - but, then again, I have probably helped put a few valets through college!

I agree 200% with you i live at Turnberry in the center of Vegas and you valet everywhere, hell i valet every night i come home. Even at the mall which most of you non-urban guys know is not really notorious for valet's. I give the guy $20 bucks when i get there they leave it upfront and i give them $10 wen they hand me the key. I usually just walk to the car (i'm not that lazy). In all my years here i have never had a single thing gone missing from my vehicle and i have never had any damage done. Granted that i am 19 thats still almost 5 years of good valet service. Now whenever i go they always park it up front and i still take care of them. I have built a good rapport with these guys and they work hard beleive it or not a **** loading of running especially here in Vegas. NYC valets are bull**** they walk like 10 feet i would never leave my car with them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Valet Paranoia!!! Need Advice!