S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Mount Balance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Mount Balance?

Hey guys -

Need your thoughts before I make my decision.

Took my car in to have that back bumper replaced following the hit.

Was told I have a bubble in both front tires. (I saw it one, not in the other but thats ok)

Was told that to replace both , it would $874 + tax (includes mounting/balancing).

If You go to Tire Rack - Both Tires, INCLUDING SHIPPING....... $579.
So I ordered them and had them shipped to MB MAnhattan.

My Service Advisor messaged back saying that technically im not supposed to do that - and if we DO get permission, MB tacks on a "handling fee" and that it would be $45 PER TIRE to mount Balance.........I take it to Midas or a local place and its about $50 for all 4!

Either way - its still quite a bit less. $579 plus $90 = $669 for everything.

Its still a lot better than $874 ($950 with tax) to do the total package at the dealer..................

Rip Off?

Last edited by Chucky300; 03-20-2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'12 ML350
From my experience, buying tires from the car dealer's parts department is always an expensive proposition compared to what Tire Rack offers.

I usually use a tire specialty shop who charges me about $25-35 each to install and balance tires that are not purchased through them, and no other service charge is tacked on.

Try to find a shop that uses Hunter or CEMB machines for wheel balancing, they're some of the best I've seen used in the shops I've dealt with.

Tire Rack can also refer you to recommended installers in your area. Some of my friends have used their recommended service providers and have always had good experience.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by rkao
From my experience, buying tires from the car dealer's parts department is always an expensive proposition compared to what Tire Rack offers.

I usually use a tire specialty shop who charges me about $25-35 each to install and balance tires that are not purchased through them, and no other service charge is tacked on.

Try to find a shop that uses Hunter or CEMB machines for wheel balancing, they're some of the best I've seen used in the shops I've dealt with.

Tire Rack can also refer you to recommended installers in your area. Some of my friends have used their recommended service providers and have always had good experience.

Hope this helps.
Yes. I use their recommended installers too - they are great. No problems ever - this was just about price. Seemed SO excessive........ $880 for 2 tires mounted and balanced........