S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Flat Tire Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 08:29 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Flat Tire Question

Hi Everyone,

Need Help and not sure where to post this.

My Left Rear 19" Tire is FLAT. I was driving home from the gym, parked in my driveway - and i came out - and it is totally FLAT. Tirerack is sending me a new tire, and it should be here 2morrow (SATURDAY).

My question is - Can i use my airpump to INFLATE my flat tire to 45PSI and take the 1 mile drive to the gas station that will replace the tire.

My only option is to put it on a flatbed and bring it there - which is a terrible expense when I can just drive it the mile. It might even be less than a mile. 2 minute drive or so.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SL65 45th Anniversary Edition, 2014 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
I did this in my SL55, 3 times in 2 months thanks to a construction crew near my office sprinkling nails around like breadcrumbs.

I did do a test each time to confirm that the tire would hold pressure for at least 5 minutes sitting still.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:13 PM

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
2009 S550 4Matic 2009 GL 550 2009 AM DBS
I too got a flat tire from a nail back in December in my 07' S550 with AMG package wheels. I called road-side assistance and got the spare put on and took it to the local dealer the next day. It could not be repaired so a new tire was ordered and came in two days later.

The problem you will run into is that from your front view of the car it seems you have the AMG sports pak therefore, they will be 19" wheels which most places will not be able to accomodate. I recc you go to the local dealer and have them do it. Besides, they will have to hook up the tire pressure monitor and reset it which a local gas station may not be able to do.

I used to have a 95' M3 and wanted the tires replaced, they were 17" wheels. Went to the local NTW and they had a mother of a time getting the tire off. AFter three crow bars they got the wheel off and realized that they f__ked up my wheel also. So I learned my lesson just go the dealer for the tire replacement especially since all of us have shelled out alot of money for these high end beauties.

I learned from my mistake.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
I had a flat 3 months ago due to a screw in the middle of the tread. I went to Autozone and bought a tire repair plug kit, aired the tire up, jacked up the car with my floorjack in the basement and removed the wheel from the car, removed the screw, drilled a hole in the tire with a 3/16" drill bit and plugged it. Took 30 seconds to plug it. The tire has been fine since and not leaked at all. Same thing happened to my wife's car 6 months earlier. No problems since. Those $.50 plugs work very well. Since then, everybody that knows I've done this come to my house for a quick tire repair as I've got 20 of those plugs laying around on my garage countertop with the needle I use to thread the plug. Once you've done it, you'll never take your car to the tire shop again for this simple process.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:55 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by trumpet1
I had a flat 3 months ago due to a screw in the middle of the tread. I went to Autozone and bought a tire repair plug kit, aired the tire up, jacked up the car with my floorjack in the basement and removed the wheel from the car, removed the screw, drilled a hole in the tire with a 3/16" drill bit and plugged it. Took 30 seconds to plug it. The tire has been fine since and not leaked at all. Same thing happened to my wife's car 6 months earlier. No problems since. Those $.50 plugs work very well. Since then, everybody that knows I've done this come to my house for a quick tire repair as I've got 20 of those plugs laying around on my garage countertop with the needle I use to thread the plug. Once you've done it, you'll never take your car to the tire shop again for this simple process.
My tire is already ordered for monday delivery = but i have a question - will that work on a 19" Performance tire? I heard that plugging/repairing is not possible on summer performance tires. I can always try it out - and use that as a spare tire if ever.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Absolutely. Mine are staggered AMG wheels of the 19" variety with Dunlop sports. However, I don't take my car up to extreme speeds. I also learned that it is better to drill a pilot hole where the nail/screw was rather than using a hand reamer that comes with the kit. It's faster (as air will quickly escape) and you'll get a cleaner hole to insert the gummy plug in with. I also put a little soapy water on it to make sure it releases from the eye of the needle plugger. I then cut the excess off with a very sharp blade and then I check it with soapy water to make sure it isn't leaking. I've never had a problem with this technique and they have always held up. Only insert the drill bit an inch into the tire as you wouldn't want to hit a tire pressure sensor.

Keeping the patched tire as a spare is a great idea.

Also, if your tire was completely flat as you described, you may have to take it to a shop anyway to get it aired up as the seal is broken and it will take compressed air just to get it aired up to do the trick I've described. If you have an air compressor like I do, you can do it all at home in most cases.

Last edited by trumpet1; 05-19-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metro Card : (
make sure the place putting on your tire is experienced w/ mbs

i would just do the dealer, personally. don't want any scratches on your wheels!
Old 05-20-2007, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Originally Posted by Chucky300
My tire is already ordered for monday delivery = but i have a question - will that work on a 19" Performance tire? I heard that plugging/repairing is not possible on summer performance tires. I can always try it out - and use that as a spare tire if ever.
It can be true though. My performance tire got repaired, however blown after in short period. It isn't quite pleasant experience, although you can be luckier.