S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Bluetooth question??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluetooth question??

Guys just got my big body benzo. In the settings I was able to sync the car up to my bluetooth phone. What is the point of this? I tried dialing out or making calls out while it was synced to the car but it did nothing. Just wondering what the purpose is to sync with bluetooth. My car does not have the phone option. Thanks in advance if you can answer my questions.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:17 PM

Do you have the bluetooth cradle for the MHI?

There are two bluetooth radios and two different sets of bluetooth functions basically for this car. I'm sure someone has written a thorough explanation of this on this forum somewhere. One is built in, the other you need to buy.

But basically the built in bluetooth capability is for transfering contact from a phone, pda, or laptop to the comand address book. And it also allows you to use a bluetooth headset in place of the speakerphone when making calls through the car. There may be other functions also, but those are the two I use.

Being able to use a bluetooth headset instead of the speakerphone is something I use a lot especially when there are others in the car.

Now to actually make and receive calls through the car system using your bluetooth phone you need something else, which is a bluetooth cradle for the MHI system. That's a bluetooth module that would plug into the connector in the armrest (if you don't already have it) and pair with your phone to actually use phone to talk to the network.

Last edited by eddietr; 06-15-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:08 AM

I don't have the cradle, but does that mean I can use the cars speakers as a speaker phone?
Old 06-16-2007, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by TurboTuner
I don't have the cradle, but does that mean I can use the cars speakers as a speaker phone?
No. In order to make/receive calls, you need some way to connect to your phone to connect your network. Which means you need either a wired cradle or a bluetooth cradle. It doesn't necessarily have to be bluetooth, but you need some way of connecting your phone to the car's MHI system.

The built in bluetooth is for other things (like pairing with a headset, transfering contacts.) It's not used to connect to phones for making/receiving calls.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:47 AM

Thanks for the info. Doesn't make sense that they offer bluetooth connectivity just to download contact information. I guess they have to make money on additional options.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:13 AM

2007 ML500
i didn't realize that there were two different ones.... how do you do this contact transfer? I have a Blackjack with all my contacts and a bluetooth enabled laptop (microsoft outlook) with all my contacts and would love to transfer them to the car. How do you do that?

Do all the new MBs have two different BT radios?
Old 06-18-2007, 11:49 AM

2012 ML350BTC
Originally Posted by TurboTuner
Thanks for the info. Doesn't make sense that they offer bluetooth connectivity just to download contact information. I guess they have to make money on additional options.
Aside from trying 'to make money' the real reason to offer (3) different Blutooth solutions (MHI Puck, Motorola V Series Cradle & RAZR Cradle) is to try and offer a variety of options based on the multiple cell phones out there. Approved cell phones based on the different carriers for your car can be found here:

www.wireless4mb.com

You can use that site to see which phones have been tested for compatibility with each model based on the different carriers, and then decide which one would be best for you. The different pucks and cradles can be found at any Mercedes-Benz dealer.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by 2001BMW330xi
i didn't realize that there were two different ones.... how do you do this contact transfer? I have a Blackjack with all my contacts and a bluetooth enabled laptop (microsoft outlook) with all my contacts and would love to transfer them to the car. How do you do that?

Well, I use Macs so I don't know how to do it in outlook. But in my case I just paired my macbook pro to the comand system using the option under the vehicle menu. Then in address book (the app on my Mac), I just highlighted a bunch of contacts and said send to device...

Now I should point out I don't have a bluetooth cradle for MHI. This was just using the standard bluetooth radio built-in to COMAND. I'm sure this is the same on the W216. Not sure about other current models.

I have a blackjack, too. I haven't tried with that. I will and let you know. Again, I still don't have any of the bluetooth cradles, I use a second line and a hard-wired MB v600 for the car.

Last edited by eddietr; 06-18-2007 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by 2001BMW330xi

And I don't have a Blackjack but on my Nokia I just go to contacts meny, select all and send business card, select via bluetooth, let the phone search for my car and select to send them all. Perhaps something similar with your Blackjack.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:40 PM

'07 MB Lorinser S550, '06 MB R350, '04 Porsche 911 cabriolet
Anybody know anything about iphone compatibility?
Old 07-09-2007, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by openwyder
Anybody know anything about iphone compatibility?
Works great, including address book and recent call syncing.

And you can use it for calls and music if you plug the iPhone into the iPod integration kit and tap "no" when it asks if you want to go into airplane mode.