S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Right side rear view mirror setting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Right side rear view mirror setting

Today I was messing around with some of the features of my car and I noticed that it seemed that my right side mirror was not aiming downward as I put the gear selector into Reverse. I thought initially that either the feature was failing me or that maybe the motor in the mirror could be defective. I selected the right side control switch and the mirror adjusted as it should with the toggle pad on the driver's door so that ruled out a bad motor. However I did notice the mirror did move just a tad when I put the gear in Reverse so then I realized that at least a signal was being sent to the motor. After scratching my head and fiddling around with it awhile, it dawned on me that just maybe the downward motion was a customizable feature. It indeed is!! I learned that you can adjust (and place into memory) the limit as to how far downward and outward/inward the mirror will go once you place the gear into Reverse. Has this customization been on cars for the past few years and I've just never noticed it? I know the feature has been on cars for over a decade or so, but I've never had an encounter of customizing it.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 233 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
If I understand, you're observing that the reverse position of the passenger mirror (parking assist mode) is a separate "memorized" position along with its normal (drive) position. If so, yes it has always worked that way. My 2001 did it that way and the manual described it fairly clearly. It's also separately stored for each memory position (1-3). On the W220 the three positions were per key (up to three keys). But a maximum of 18 passenger mirror positions confounded too many owners and key-dependent memory was eliminated in the W221.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by whoover
If I understand, you're observing that the reverse position of the passenger mirror (parking assist mode) is a separate "memorized" position along with its normal (drive) position. If so, yes it has always worked that way. My 2001 did it that way and the manual described it fairly clearly. It's also separately stored for each memory position (1-3). On the W220 the three positions were per key (up to three keys). But a maximum of 18 passenger mirror positions confounded too many owners and key-dependent memory was eliminated in the W221.
Thanks for the reply. I never have been one to RTFM
Regardless, this is great.