S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Designo Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550 4matic / SL65
Designo Questions

I am in Canada and am going to order a Designo interior to get everything covered in leather and an Alcantara headliner. I had an S500, a car ago that had this interior. It was like a private jet, leather everywhere - beautiful. It appears that if I order an Designo Interior, the accent trim (headliner, dash top of the doors, carpets, etc) will be black. (Correct?) Seating and inset doors panels will be the leather colour I select. Ideally, I would like everything covered in leather and Alcantara but in colour combo like Sahara/Cashmere. Doesn't look like that is possible. Comments.

Also, I am interested in understanding other than the range of colour choices, if the Designo paints are "better". Considering Designo Platinum or Mocha Black. How do these differ from Standard Obsidian or Chromite Black.

Thank-you in advance for your help.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:17 AM

S500 LWB ( W221 ) - CL63 Biturbo ( W216 ) CL 55 Kompressor ( W215 Sold ) C43 AMG ( W202 Sold )
We have an option in the UK called Exclusive Passion Leather, which includes all leather interior, dash door cards etc and Alcantara headlining A, B, and C pillars.

I posted a thread "My 221 Specs" on the 18th August where i have configured my W221 for January delivery.

Last edited by Mercedes22; 09-03-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:22 PM

MB S550 Designo, BMW F10 535i, BMW X5, RRS
There are pics of Designo Mocha posted by XRAES when he posted his car for sale -- we have the car now and it is a black but has golden flakes in the paint -- it is impossible to see at night, but can be seen in the sun. The interior is the brick seats, the headliner is a dark grey alcantra, and there are touches of black on the interior.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:42 PM

2008 S63 2005 996 Turbo S, 2006 Sennia XLE Limited AWD
Originally Posted by rachelpatricia
I am in Canada and am going to order a Designo interior to get everything covered in leather and an Alcantara headliner. I had an S500, a car ago that had this interior. It was like a private jet, leather everywhere - beautiful. It appears that if I order an Designo Interior, the accent trim (headliner, dash top of the doors, carpets, etc) will be black. (Correct?) Seating and inset doors panels will be the leather colour I select. Ideally, I would like everything covered in leather and Alcantara but in colour combo like Sahara/Cashmere. Doesn't look like that is possible. Comments.

Also, I am interested in understanding other than the range of colour choices, if the Designo paints are "better". Considering Designo Platinum or Mocha Black. How do these differ from Standard Obsidian or Chromite Black.

Thank-you in advance for your help.

You can choose the color of the headliner, but you can only choose black, grey or begie (I'm not sure about the begie). The Designo color for nappa leather will give you black color on the accent trim. And there is an Exclusive aniline leather which will cover the top of the door panel and the top of the dashboard in the Designo color. However I never see a picture of a car that has the aniline leather, it only shown on some "offiicial photo" from Mecedes. Ask your saleperson to show you the Designo cataloge. And I don't know you can order that in Canada. Let me know if you hear some news regarding to the aniline leather, because I am going to order a car soon.

I have not seen a Platinum black but I have seen a Mocha black on a real car. It is a matellic black and under bright sun light it is looks dark gold or brown (kind of like your mocha coffee, that's why it call mocha black). It looks nice, I pick this color before I saw the Designo Graphite.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
So in countries other than the US you can "Make Your Own" designo? Is that correct?
Old 09-08-2007, 04:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
Those features are great...
Old 09-09-2007, 07:08 AM

S550 4matic / SL65
Designo Questions...with Answers

Thank-you for the replies and insights provided. I ordereded the car late last week and here is what I know. This information is specific to Canada; I do not know how it applies in the US or globally. The car I ordered is a Standard White Exterior paint (not sure of the exact name or code as it was a colour I saw on a new "C" class on the lot and told them to match) with a Designo Interior in Porcelian White Aniline Leather (softer??). This amounts to charcoal leather on the dash, tops of the doors, etc with matching carpeting. The lower part of the dash, door inserts and seats are white leather with the stitching. I had to select the wood accent from the designo program only, (Mat Oak, Natural Maple or Piano Black) and went with Piano Black. I could also control the Alcantara headliner and stayed with the default Anthracite.

To answer the last question posted, yes, I could configure my own Designo and mix and match but you had to go with the Black accent colour; you can't change it to your selection or mix and match with regular colours.

Of interest also was the opportunity to select a stone instead of Wood Trim(Labrador blue Pearl Stone and Star Galaxy Stone) and 3 colour of Natural Leather (Corteccia,Marron and black), which appears to be a cut above the Aniline.

The dealer had a Designo Configuration Kit to allow you to mix and match and I received a small hard cover book to keep with the details but photos not samples. The dealer also complained that Mercedes Canada only has a small "hard cover" literature booklet on S class at about $25 a pop cost to the dealer. Nice but not that nice.

Lastly, the dealer reconfigured a car in the system and it will be here late November /early December. Designo caused no dealy as he said it was done on the line.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:41 AM

Thank-you for the replies and insights provided. I ordereded the car late last week and here is what I know. This information is specific to Canada; I do not know how it applies in the US or globally. The car I ordered is a Standard White Exterior paint (not sure of the exact name or code as it was a colour I saw on a new "C" class on the lot and told them to match) with a Designo Interior in Porcelian White Aniline Leather (softer??). This amounts to charcoal leather on the dash, tops of the doors, etc with matching carpeting. The lower part of the dash, door inserts and seats are white leather with the stitching. I had to select the wood accent from the designo program only, (Mat Oak, Natural Maple or Piano Black) and went with Piano Black. I could also control the Alcantara headliner and stayed with the default Anthracite.

To answer the last question posted, yes, I could configure my own Designo and mix and match but you had to go with the Black accent colour; you can't change it to your selection or mix and match with regular colours.

Of interest also was the opportunity to select a stone instead of Wood Trim(Labrador blue Pearl Stone and Star Galaxy Stone) and 3 colour of Natural Leather (Corteccia,Marron and black), which appears to be a cut above the Aniline.

The dealer had a Designo Configuration Kit to allow you to mix and match and I received a small hard cover book to keep with the details but photos not samples. The dealer also complained that Mercedes Canada only has a small "hard cover" literature booklet on S class at about $25 a pop cost to the dealer. Nice but not that nice.

Lastly, the dealer reconfigured a car in the system and it will be here late November /early December. Designo caused no dealy as he said it was done on the line.

How much did they charge you for the Designo interior colour?

And I think this is what you are going to get. Nice colour.
Attached Thumbnails Designo Questions-white1.jpg  
Old 09-09-2007, 12:48 PM

S550 4matic / SL65
Designo Questions...with Answers Deux

I didn't ask. I was replacing my car regardless and have always been treated more than fairly on cars I have bought from this dealer. I have known him for 25 years. What I can tell you, is that it will be less than US designo packages because we're not forced to take a Designo colour with a Designo Interior.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Congrats, its sounds beautiful. This interior you picked out is exactly what the designo Mystic White Edition is in the US. In the US we only get "editions" that MBUSA has put together, we can't customize them. For the S-Class there are three: Espresso, Mystic White, and Graphite.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:15 PM

I didn't ask. I was replacing my car regardless and have always been treated more than fairly on cars I have bought from this dealer. I have known him for 25 years. What I can tell you, is that it will be less than US designo packages because we're not forced to take a Designo colour with a Designo Interior.
Take a look at the following pictures. Only the second picture is Aniline leather. You can recognize it by the pattern on the seats. And with the Aniline leather, it also have some pattern on the door panel (which is what I like). The car I saw in the dealership has no pattern on the door panel and I ask the saleperson why it doesn't have it. He couldn't answer my question. He said the only Designo interior is $5200 (not the choice of nappa or aniline) and he doesn't know it's nappa or aniline. I think the Aniline leather should cost more than the nappa. So check with your dealer, if they charge you $5200, that could be the nappa leather. I've ask my saleperson to dig into this issue. Because I'm going to order the car next week.
Attached Thumbnails Designo Questions-cimg3822.jpg   Designo Questions-221designo5.gif  
Old 09-09-2007, 08:34 PM

S550 4matic / SL65
Designo Questions...with Answers III

Again, I'll qualify my comments with the statement that my knowledge is only about Canadian Configured Designo Cars. The White Interior in the picture is Designo, and the quilting on the doors and the seat are part of the package. "Aniline", is a leather than has been coloured with a Natural dye, meaning the hide must be of very high quality, as the natual dye is not capable of couvering flaws. The result is a leather that is very soft to the touch. The only comment I can make a about the CL is that I would suspect you are showing a picture of a CL600, which comes with a premium interior from the get go. CL600=Flagship. Therefore, a standard style interior is available with the best leather(Aniline), and I think the colour is Armagnac. However, it doesn't look like designo.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by MBS63
Take a look at the following pictures. Only the second picture is Aniline leather. You can recognize it by the pattern on the seats. And with the Aniline leather, it also have some pattern on the door panel (which is what I like). The car I saw in the dealership has no pattern on the door panel and I ask the saleperson why it doesn't have it. He couldn't answer my question. He said the only Designo interior is $5200 (not the choice of nappa or aniline) and he doesn't know it's nappa or aniline. I think the Aniline leather should cost more than the nappa. So check with your dealer, if they charge you $5200, that could be the nappa leather. I've ask my saleperson to dig into this issue. Because I'm going to order the car next week.
The car pictured on the left there is a CL550 with Cognac interior. It is not a designo car, Cognac is a standard interior color for the CL. It does look extreamly similar to the designo Espresso interior color. You can tell this is a 550 and not a 600 because of the patern of the leather on the seats. Also the pattern of leather on the door in the next picture is not indicative of anything. All designo S-Class and S600 have those little bumps of leather on the door panels. I am not sure about how to visually tell from the difference between Nappa and semi-aniline leather, I am not sure that you can in a picture.

Just as a side note, I don't think that we can get semi-aniline leather in the US.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:22 PM

I am talking about canadian car. I've seen an S63 with Designo Porcelain interior with no "bump" on the door panel on last Thursday in midtown Toronto. It is a 2008 S63. It look exactly like the first picture I posted. ok let's forget about the type of the leather. My question is: Do you guys know why an S-class with designo interior does not have a "bump" on the door panel?

And pmb600 is right. The left picture is an CL with cognac interior. I will see if I can take a picture of the S63 that I saw in the showroom.

Last edited by MBS63; 09-09-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
I am talking about canadian car. I've seen an S63 with Designo Porcelain interior with no "bump" on the door panel on last Thursday in midtown Toronto. It is a 2008 S63. It look exactly like the first picture I posted. ok let's forget about the type of the leather. My question is: Do you guys know why an S-class with designo interior does not have a "bump" on the door panel?

And pmb600 is right. The left picture is an CL with cognac interior. I will see if I can take a picture of the S63 that I saw in the showroom.
Hmm, that's interesting, I'm not sure why the designo interior would not have the bump on the doors. I thought that was universal to designo interiors worldwide. Let us know what you find out. By the way is there anywhere on the Canadian website where they discuss designo options or is that only something you can learn about in the dealership?

I love this page on the UK site showing all the designo paints, woods, and upholsterys:

http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/cont...o.html#mainnav
Old 09-10-2007, 07:57 AM

Go to Mecedes-Benz international and click into different regions. Some country has Desingo nfo. like the one on UK

Here is one of them: http://www.mercedes-benz.com.eg/cont...igno.0002.html
Old 09-11-2007, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes S-Class (W221) AMG
How much did they charge you for the Designo interior colour?

And I think this is what you are going to get. Nice colour.
This is not the Designo option. This is the standard Sahara interior but as you said the designo will be very similar in combinations with better lines and softer leather trim.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by obaidan
This is not the Designo option. This is the standard Sahara interior but as you said the designo will be very similar in combinations with better lines and softer leather trim.
Thanks obaidan, I did not know the location of the car. But you are right, it's a standard color in UK.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:09 AM

....OH......But..... See the badge on the seatback. I can't see what's on it. But only Designo car should have the badge on the rear seat. AMG car only have badge on the front two seat. ...... I'm so confuse ....
Old 09-12-2007, 08:21 PM

2011 BMW 750 Individual, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Arctic Edition
My car is a Designo Mocha...and I love it more and more each day. Here are some pics...
Attached Thumbnails Designo Questions-e350sw-024.jpg   Designo Questions-e350sw-024.jpg  
Old 09-12-2007, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Taurian
My car is a Designo Mocha...and I love it more and more each day. Here are some pics...
Are there any Designo badge on the rear seatback? What colour is your headliner? I think I've seen the photo of your car. I like the Armagnac colour. Do you find the colour of the headliner too bright? I mean would you like the black roofliner if you have the choice?
Old 09-13-2007, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
My favorite...can we see some interior pics?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:43 AM

MB S550 Designo, BMW F10 535i, BMW X5, RRS
Here are some pics of our Designo Mocha from facebook:

http://smu.facebook.com/album.php?ai...60&id=18808429

I hope it works =/

We are waiting on a new cam to take better pics
Old 09-16-2007, 09:20 PM

2011 BMW 750 Individual, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Arctic Edition
You can see the Designo inserts in front/rear seats. You can also see the headliner is not bright at all. In fact, it's the perfect color, compliments the interior. They did a great job, I wouldn't change anything. If the headliner was black, it would feel dark.
Attached Thumbnails Designo Questions-e350sw-015.jpg  
Old 09-16-2007, 10:35 PM

You can see the Designo inserts in front/rear seats. You can also see the headliner is not bright at all. In fact, it's the perfect color, compliments the interior. They did a great job, I wouldn't change anything. If the headliner was black, it would feel dark.
What excatly is the colour of the headliner? Grey or beige? It's look good too me on this picture but not on the others. I know it is very hard to see the colour on picture. So far I've only seen a Designo black headliner on a real car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Designo Questions