S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

S600 and bentley GTC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 S600. 2005 Carrera GT. 2007 Range Rover SC. 2008 BMW X5. 1967 SS Chevelle.
S600 and bentley GTC

I am trying out the new Bentley GTC and comparing it to my 07 S600 for the past few days.

I originally thought the cars may be similar in some ways and I may want to replace the S600 with the GTC.

These cars should not be compared at all.

The rear seats are the biggest difference but in fairness the GTC is not a family hauling sedan. The rear seats dont recline, massage, or heat/cool. There is very little leg room. There is no armrest either and the S seats are way more confortable front and rear. No cooling seats in front either.

The ride quality is not that big of a differnece. There is a little more road noise in the GTC and it appears a little more harsh. Again since it is more of a sports car. Handling is better and more responsive on the GTC. But I can also push the S600 around corners too hard.

Acceleration is way better in the S600. THe 600 appears to thrust under full throttle. The GTC is nice smooth power but considerley not as fast

Love the open air convertible.. cant get that in any S class.

Here are some pictures. I would say that the Bentley is a bit more appealing inside the car than the S. I like the electronics better in the S as well. As far as exterior style its subjective but I like the S style better.

The Bentley attracts way more looks then the S. This car is more of a status car then anything else I think.

Overal this is not a fair comparison. Maybe it should be compared to the SL Benz. But I thought it may replace my S600, but not a chance for me anyway.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:22 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Thx for interesting comparo

Have briefly driven GTC (and CGT and FS)....was rather underwhelmed w/tech of Bentley (dubious advanced safety systems, primitive braking systems, lack of ventil seats, TeleAid, iPod, etc etc)....and aesthetics IMO are caricature of baroque tackiness.....w/plenty of ugly blk plastic buttons to remind one of VW roots....

And even in straight-line, B tq vs 65 (and speed/smoothness of transmission and brake pedal feel/confidence in emgcy braking/handling) is rather lacking....

But do applaud VW for managing to sell some ?2-3K/yr $200K cars into US; don't think MB has been able to successfully sell as many 65s....I suspect VW pulled off a brilliant marketing move, realizing that many "aspirational" affluent in US lack much appreciation for whether car's tech/perf/safety is truly class-leading...but rather seek to drive whatever car favored by rappers/celebutards of day....to each his own....
Old 09-29-2007, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
I can't knock the vehicle, and especially after cruising an Arnage, and working on the vehicle, you would hug the VW people. The Arnage is the biggest POS for the money. But if MB was to sport a McLaren logo on the 65's you'd sell a crap load of 65's. VW just got lucky with the Bentley name that is all.

I do like the FS, reminds me of the Quattroporte, and the GTC reminds me of a Chryslet Sebring with a bigger plastic grill on the front