S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Shifting to Park

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 S550 4Matic, AMG Sports Pkg, White/Black
Shifting to Park

I noticed the 2007 S550 makes a "ding" sound when placing the car in Park. However, it does not make that sound in my car which is a 2008. Is that something that can be turned on or off? Is anyone familiar with that?
Old 10-30-2007, 11:27 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
The 08 does not make the gong. MB has acknowledged it and is investigating a possible remedy. As of right now, there is not a documented problem, or fix. It is just different. Obviously, that could change if they deem it an issue.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Either way MB puts this or other similar tones, owners complain. Even a user programmable setting doesn't seem to be the solution, they removed a pile of these when dumb drivers got it wrong and were not able to set things back.

MB should develop a list of option codes, one for each warning/indication tone: owner wants it on or off. Of course less ideal for the second owner.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 ML 350, 2009 Smart Passion, 2004 Audi TT Quattro
I like the dinging sound..I always get paranoid that I didnt put the thing in park..
Old 10-31-2007, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by sblime2js
I like the dinging sound..I always get paranoid that I didnt put the thing in park..
I somewhat feel the same way. A lot of the reason for this is that the keyless start button and the hand motions to use it are in such close proximity to the gear shifter that it leads to confusion. I temporarily forget which did I just do?!? That is why I suggested earlier that the engine start/stop action should be on the gear shifter. The first inward press would start the engine, then do what you normally do to go into R or D and then when you reach your destination, press inward to go to P and then again to shut engine off. That would be more instinctive and less complicated.

In situations where you don't want to start the engine but only want to turn on the ignition to fire up inside electrical components, just don't press the brake pedal and push the shifter in to turn them on.

Last edited by trumpet1; 10-31-2007 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
Originally Posted by trumpet1
I somewhat feel the same way. A lot of the reason for this is that the keyless start button and the hand motions to use it are in such close proximity to the gear shifter that it leads to confusion. I temporarily forget which did I just do?!? That is why I suggested earlier that the engine start/stop action should be on the gear shifter. The first inward press would start the engine, then do what you normally do to go into R or D and then when you reach your destination, press inward to go to P and then again to shut engine off. That would be more instinctive and less complicated.

In situations where you don't want to start the engine but only want to turn on the ignition to fire up inside electrical components, just don't press the brake pedal and push the shifter in to turn them on.
Makes a lot of sense, but the confusion with that would come regarding whether it was turned on/taken out of park and when turning off, whether it was parked/turned off....

Best solution would be to have the DING sound I think
Old 11-05-2007, 09:04 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
When you remove the key from the ignition, the car automatically engages park(safety issue). Also, just pushing the start button twice without pressing the brake if you have keyless is the same as turning the key to the key on, engine off position. If you have keyless go, and turn the car off while it is in drive or reverse, it engages park when you open the driver's door. Whether or not the car gongs, you can sleep soundly knowing that your key is on the counter, key rack or in the washing machine already and your car is in park and won't roll out of your garage.