S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Grinding sound in the seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Grinding sound in the seats

This past week or so, I've been noticing a grinding/squeaking sound coming from the active dynamic seats while in a turn. I'm hearing it only on the passenger side at the outboard side of the seat. Apparently the side bolsters tighten up even when no one is sitting in that seat as I heard it today as I was in a sharp turn on my way home from work. I first noticed the problem two weeks ago when I was sitting in the passenger seat while my son was driving.
Has anyone else had this issue yet??? I probably can reproduce it if I simply play around with the seat adjustments while tightening up the side bolsters. It's not bad enough to take into the shop for but I guess I'm gonna mention it next time I'm there. So far, this is the only problem I've had with my car and even that is not bad.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:37 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by trumpet1
This past week or so, I've been noticing a grinding/squeaking sound coming from the active dynamic seats while in a turn. I'm hearing it only on the passenger side at the outboard side of the seat. Apparently the side bolsters tighten up even when no one is sitting in that seat as I heard it today as I was in a sharp turn on my way home from work. I first noticed the problem two weeks ago when I was sitting in the passenger seat while my son was driving.
Has anyone else had this issue yet??? I probably can reproduce it if I simply play around with the seat adjustments while tightening up the side bolsters. It's not bad enough to take into the shop for but I guess I'm gonna mention it next time I'm there. So far, this is the only problem I've had with my car and even that is not bad.
Heya!

Darth Brad here (ha ha.... as i were an evil sith lord .... or at least a brooklyn, ny nerd...)

I hear something as well - but its not just in curves... I diagnosed it myself. The seatbelt keeps rubbing or clicking and poking at the side of the center console. It is VERY annoying - but absolutely nothing can be done about it....I think the materials themselves are "noisy" when they interact...Dont know if the clicking is just an oversight, but boy is it akward.

Although - not quite as akward as my previous S500 - where the seats themselves were actually moving - and making a creaking sound - had to have the track replaced and it still did not help. I am not a skinny guy, but I am certainly not large - or large enough to make that kind of damage.

Oh well. Its my benz...ill cry if i want too... cry if i want too... you would cry too if your benz blew too

(FYI - this is all because I had a rum cocktail or 2 at a Sushi Samba in Tel Aviv last night... dont even ask what the F i dreamt last night!!!!!)

But - at least you will find it entertaining.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
In a car this price, I really wish the grinding sound was coming from the rear seats

Anyway, seems you are having a great time back in the land of Israel.

Back on topic, my creaking sound is coming from the other side of the passenger seat , not the console side. I also tried to make it happen by adjusting the side support bladders and it doesn't make that sound at all. So, I don't know. For now, it's not that big of a deal. I was just wanting to report it so that we can keep tabs on this kind of issue and to see if I was the only one. If it doesn't get worse, I won't even mention it to the S.A.