S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First problem of my 08 S63, any S550 had this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 03:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F10 M5, 08 S63 Majestic Black Metallic, 09 CLK63, silver
First problem of my 08 S63, any S550 had this?

The display showed yesterday: "Parking Brake Inoperative", and a yellow PARK at left corner of the display, I pushed E-brake, nothing, then turned off, and on , it worked fine, after I started driving, "Parking Brake Inoperative" came out again, parking brake dead again, sent it to the dealer today, they are working on it, anyone had this problem?
Old 12-06-2007, 04:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I have not seen anything like this on any of the forums I've followed. Will be interesting to see what they find out.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 S550; 2008 E350
Had somewhat similar message

Although I did not get the "parking brake inoperative" message, I was driving yesterday and got a message that said something like "park assist unavailable. See operator manual". It was puzzling since I was not stopped or trying to reverse. Cleared the message and did not see it again.

In the six months that I have owned this car, this was the first time that I saw this message. I believe it has something to do with the Command update done a week ago.

The other message that I have seen occasionally from day one is a warning on one of the tire pressures - the funny thing is that the tire in question has the same pressure as the other tires or is only 1 lb off.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by mmehtas
Although I did not get the "parking brake inoperative" message, I was driving yesterday and got a message that said something like "park assist unavailable. See operator manual". It was puzzling since I was not stopped or trying to reverse. Cleared the message and did not see it again.

In the six months that I have owned this car, this was the first time that I saw this message. I believe it has something to do with the Command update done a week ago.

The other message that I have seen occasionally from day one is a warning on one of the tire pressures - the funny thing is that the tire in question has the same pressure as the other tires or is only 1 lb off.

I would have to say that the update is the cause of the problem. If this keeps happening, I would let the tech know about it. It should be easily rectified.

I would get that pressure sensor replaced next time you're in for service since it's been happening since day one, .... of course this is assuming that you've been keeping an eye on the pressure properly and that the message only comes on while the tire pressure is within the normal range. It sounds like a bad sensor to me. Are you sure that the 1 lb. you're referring to is not the 1 lb. just below the lowest pressure value that will trigger a valid "low pressure" warning?
Old 12-06-2007, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
I also wonder if the pressure monitoring system detects an upper limit of pressure? In other words, would it , or does it, let you know if there is too much pressure in the tire???
Old 12-06-2007, 11:25 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
The rare Parktronic inoperative warning is often due to any extraneous electrical signals (other radars, etc etc) in immediate environment.....if it's a rare event that rapidly (within mins) goes away, wouldn't be very concerned (a couple colleagues had this similar issue and dealer found no fault codes when they took car in for routine 1-3K mi chk)....and problem never recurred....

The TPMS will give false warnings apparently if tire P's are changed and TPMS isn't properly re-calibrated....again, simple fix at dealer....also poss a given TPMS monitor is defective and needs replacement....
Old 12-06-2007, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WSH
The rare Parktronic inoperative warning is often due to any extraneous electrical signals (other radars, etc etc) in immediate environment.....if it's a rare event that rapidly (within mins) goes away, wouldn't be very concerned (a couple colleagues had this similar issue and dealer found no fault codes when they took car in for routine 1-3K mi chk)....and problem never recurred....

The TPMS will give false warnings apparently if tire P's are changed and TPMS isn't properly re-calibrated....again, simple fix at dealer....also poss a given TPMS monitor is defective and needs replacement....
I was a bit confused if this car even had park assist after the update, or was the car new enough to have park assist but not the navi update (are we talking about the new park assist feature on the main instrument cluster display?).

Considering TPMS, the system does not have fixed target/valid pressure values. You just inflate the tyres, then initialise the system from the IC menu and TPMS takes these readings for the reference. If you fill up one tyre incorrectly first, then initialise the system and afterwards inflate tyres properly, the system would likely detect an "error". I would at least suggest checking the tyres and then initialise the system.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:52 PM

F10 M5, 08 S63 Majestic Black Metallic, 09 CLK63, silver
Does the parking brake switcher need to be replaced? I found out this:

konigstiger
11-06-2007, 08:56 PM
P-B-43.10/04 OCT07 Whistling/clicking/thudding from the driver footwell area when driving in Distronic or Speedtronic (cruise control) mode, the cause may be due to noises coming from the Brake Assist System (BAS) activation of the solenoid valve in the brake booster. The software for the ABR control unit will be updated to prevent the solenoid from vibrating.

P-B-42.20/81 OCT07 parking brake cannot be operated via the parking brake switch and either of the following fault messages display in the IC: “Parking Brake – See Operator’s Manual” or “Parking Brake Nonfunctional – Visit Workshop” the brake switch will be replaced.

P-B-91.60/108b OCT07 SRS light illuminated the steering column wiring harness will be repaired.
P-B-54.30/187 instrument cluster, function change; when the back key on the steering wheel is held for more than one second, the display will revert to the basic menu. It is no longer possible to reset the trip odometer by holding the back key on the steering wheel. The trip odometer can only be reset via the multifunction display (MFD).

P-B-32.50/57 OCT07 “ABC Visit Workshop” displayed in the IC the cause may be a software error within the ABC control module and software will be updated.

P-B-83.00/70a AC or AC off indicator lamp flashing after actuation and AC is not functioning; the cause could be the coding of the climate control module. Refrigerant level will be conformed and coding corrected.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:38 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I was a bit confused if this car even had park assist after the update, or was the car new enough to have park assist but not the navi update (are we talking about the new park assist feature on the main instrument cluster display?).

Considering TPMS, the system does not have fixed target/valid pressure values. You just inflate the tyres, then initialise the system from the IC menu and TPMS takes these readings for the reference. If you fill up one tyre incorrectly first, then initialise the system and afterwards inflate tyres properly, the system would likely detect an "error". I would at least suggest checking the tyres and then initialise the system.
The rare Parktronic warning to which I was referring occurred in CL600s and CL63s w/Distronic (where interlinked Parktronic relies on the various Distronic radars buried under bumpers)....suspect w/all the computer/radar systems in car....and extraneous electrical signals in most urban environments, it's not surprising that occasional/random interference events occur....

TPMS IIRC needs some specific procedure to re-calibrate after one resets tire P's or manipulates TPMS sensor....some procedure like needing to drive car a few miles immed afterwards to recalibrate.....
Old 12-06-2007, 01:45 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Originally Posted by KUNMB

konigstiger
11-06-2007, 08:56 PM
P-B-43.10/04 OCT07 Whistling/clicking/thudding from the driver footwell area when driving in Distronic or Speedtronic (cruise control) mode, the cause may be due to noises coming from the Brake Assist System (BAS) activation of the solenoid valve in the brake booster. The software for the ABR control unit will be updated to prevent the solenoid from vibrating.

P-B-42.20/81 OCT07 parking brake cannot be operated via the parking brake switch and either of the following fault messages display in the IC: “Parking Brake – See Operator’s Manual” or “Parking Brake Nonfunctional – Visit Workshop” the brake switch will be replaced.

P-B-91.60/108b OCT07 SRS light illuminated the steering column wiring harness will be repaired.
P-B-54.30/187 instrument cluster, function change; when the back key on the steering wheel is held for more than one second, the display will revert to the basic menu. It is no longer possible to reset the trip odometer by holding the back key on the steering wheel. The trip odometer can only be reset via the multifunction display (MFD).

P-B-32.50/57 OCT07 “ABC Visit Workshop” displayed in the IC the cause may be a software error within the ABC control module and software will be updated.

P-B-83.00/70a AC or AC off indicator lamp flashing after actuation and AC is not functioning; the cause could be the coding of the climate control module. Refrigerant level will be conformed and coding corrected.
In my anecdotal expce, haven't heard of e-pkg brake probs w/CL/S....know several guys w/CL63 who often park on steep hills of SF and use pkg brake (unlike most guys in more flat regions where pkg brakes in auto transmission cars are irrelevant in daily use)....

Given pkg brake is computer-based, would guess any fix is a simple replacement; does your dealer seem to be competent re: svc issues?......
Old 12-06-2007, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by KUNMB

This must be the issue. I think I've read this before but clearly have to start reading Konigstiger's updates more often and improve memory (haven't found a good TSB for the latter issue )
Old 12-06-2007, 04:18 PM

2024 S580 | 2024 Escalade ESV Sport Plat | 2022 X5M Competition
We've never the parking brake problem, but we have had the parktronic issue before. The other day, the parktronic beeped twice, and flashed parktronic inactive or something in the IC, then repeated a few times. Then on the last time, the beep didn't stop and was a solid BEEEEEE, until I pulled over and put it in park. It must've been a glitch but it was very annoying and embarrassing since I was driving a friend as well!
Old 12-06-2007, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ///MB
We've never the parking brake problem, but we have had the parktronic issue before. The other day, the parktronic beeped twice, and flashed parktronic inactive or something in the IC, then repeated a few times. Then on the last time, the beep didn't stop and was a solid BEEEEEE, until I pulled over and put it in park. It must've been a glitch but it was very annoying and embarrassing since I was driving a friend as well!
The parktronic issue would mostly likely come from the ultrasonic sensors. Those do not even exist on the car that has radar sensor based park assist.

But I think Chucky also had and issue with the parktronic, don't remember if he reported the fix.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:30 PM

my car
Originally Posted by trumpet1
I also wonder if the pressure monitoring system detects an upper limit of pressure? In other words, would it , or does it, let you know if there is too much pressure in the tire???
yes they do.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:54 PM

range rover
Question My S550 gave me a falst TPMS warning..................ANYONE?

i had a tpms error before too when nothing was wrong
Old 03-22-2014, 03:34 AM

S550
@KUMB.. can you shed some light on how the "Parking brake inoperative" issue was resolved? what did they tell you at the dealership?

Thanks
Old 10-12-2018, 02:33 PM

2007 s550
How did you clear the message