S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Serpentine belt pulley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by EinMD
Took my car in for the exact same problem today before I saw these posts. They recognized the problem immediately as the pulley problem. I'll find out tomorrow (Wednesday) how long it will take. Other issues I hope to get resolved:
1) Squeeky brakes. I told them not to "bake" the pad but to change them
2) Two rattling noises in the back, one while starting the car on a cold morning (they believe a clamp is loose) and a typical rattle on the RR while going over rough ground.
3) Intermittent creaking noise in dash. Sounds like plastic against plastic.

Has anyone else had the rattles or creaking? Thanks.

Let them know it's more than just a pulley replacement. They have to replace the valve cover and a few other things as well. Mine being a V12 may have something to do with some of that.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 S550 4Matic, AMG Sports Pkg, White/Black
Thanks Trumpet1 and CJF. I was told by my SA today that they were able to fix the rattles in the back but they couldn't hear any noise in the engine. Trust me, there is a loud whining noise that is embarrassing when someone else is in the car, and just plain annoying to me. He didn't report on the breaks or dash area. They still have the car and I will visit with them tomorrow. I will report back the final analysis. I will also pass along to my SA the advice Trumpet1 passed to me. I was in Florida the past 2 weekends and had both a Dodge Charger and Chevy Malibu. They had no noises in them at all...I'll keep working on it.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by EinMD
Thanks Trumpet1 and CJF. I was told by my SA today that they were able to fix the rattles in the back but they couldn't hear any noise in the engine. Trust me, there is a loud whining noise that is embarrassing when someone else is in the car, and just plain annoying to me. He didn't report on the breaks or dash area. They still have the car and I will visit with them tomorrow. I will report back the final analysis. I will also pass along to my SA the advice Trumpet1 passed to me. I was in Florida the past 2 weekends and had both a Dodge Charger and Chevy Malibu. They had no noises in them at all...I'll keep working on it.

Do you hear the whining noise coming from the engine area, or were you referring to the back of the car? If you think it is coming from the engine, it's easy to determine if you have a bad pulley. Get someone else to rev your engine up for you (no need to go higher than 2500 rpm) while you look at the upper right idler pulley area of your engine (actually it is the right side of the engine, but your left as you view it). It was easy for me to pinpoint where it was coming from.
Just curious , how many miles do you have on your car at this time. Mine started going bad around 17000 miles.

Last edited by trumpet1; 01-23-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 S550 4Matic, AMG Sports Pkg, White/Black
Angry

Originally Posted by trumpet1
Do you hear the whining noise coming from the engine area, or were you referring to the back of the car? If you think it is coming from the engine, it's easy to determine if you have a bad pulley. Get someone else to rev your engine up for you (no need to go higher than 2500 rpm) while you look at the upper right idler pulley area of your engine (actually it is the right side of the engine, but your left as you view it). It was easy for me to pinpoint where it was coming from.
Just curious , how many miles do you have on your car at this time. Mine started going bad around 17000 miles.
Thanks for the follow up. The whining noise is from the front of the car. I have about 4700 miles. I picked up the car this evening and right now I am livid. Noise was pretty obvious when driving home. I keep the interior immaculate. The car interior looks like it was worked on in a barn. Dirt and grass all over the floor. They say they couldn't hear the breaks squeak and didn't do anything. First time I stopped, you could hear them with the windows closed. They didn't fix any of the rattles, but they said they did. The took down the headliner to silence the rear rattle which my 7 year old can hear, and now the front and rear roof shades barely move because they are so tight. I won't go on any further but it is quite unbelievable. I will be having a nice conversation with them tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 S600 sold
Wow! Sorry to hear about all that trouble. Good Luck.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by usctrojans1
Wow! Sorry to hear about all that trouble. Good Luck.
+1.
This is horrible service. I'd be upset too and if you bought the car new, I'd be having a talk with the salesman about getting a new one if this is not resolved within a couple of weeks max. My car is as quiet as a church mouse fart and every time I pick my car up it is almost detailed it's so clean.
Wish you luck.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03' C230K
I've just recently got the same problem with a horrid "squeeking"/whining noise from the engine bay. I know it's one of the pulleys but Idk which one (newbie :P) But should I bring in into dealership? I'm not exactly sure what you guys all mean by "warranty" or what not! Please help! It's an 03 C230k with 76k miles!