S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Profile of S-Class Buyer

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 S550 with AMG Sport Pkg
World's Most Expensive Car Options

1. Maybach 62*
Option: Glass Partition Wall
Price: $29,900
For the price of a Mercedes-Benz C-Class sedan, chauffeured Maybach 62 owners can achieve tranquility and privacy with the push of a button, securing themselves behind a glass partition that divides them from the driver. The soundproof barrier is complemented by curtains that can be opened and closed electronically, plus an intercom system that lets impatient backseat riders tell their driver to step on it. Maybach reps say that most buyers of the 62 add the glass partition wall.

2. Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano*Option: Rossa Monza Paint
Price: $22,000
The classic Ferrari color, a deep red called Rossa Corsa, just won't do it for Ferrari lovers who yearn for the ultimate in exclusivity. For these true color connoisseurs, Ferrari offers a $22,000 paint job that covers the 599 GTB Fiorano in Rossa Monza burgundy metallic. This deeper red isn't as traditional for a Ferrari, but will help your car stand out from the legions of Ferrari owners who think all Ferraris look best in bright red.

3. Bentley Arnage RL*
Option: Rear TV and DVD Package
Price: $20,690
Bentley Arnage RL passengers rarely call "shotgun!" to secure a seat up front. Why would they, when they can sit in the back and bask in the glow of twin 15-inch LCD screens built into the front seats?
Sure, the pictures won't pop like on a 52-inch Sharp Aquos with HDTV, but it'll do for the short ride to the country club. Two separate DVD systems allow independent viewing choices for each passenger.

4. Maybach 57 and 62*
Option: Customer-Specified Color Match
Price: $20,450
Henry Ford once told his customers they could have their Model T in any color, as long as it was black. Similarly, a standard Maybach is available in black, among several other standard colors. But should you want your Maybach to match your house or your shoes or your hair, or you just want to stand out from the rest of the ultra-luxury crowd, you can pony up $20,450 for the right to pick your own custom shade.

5. Maybach 57 and 62*
Option: Emerald Green Interior
Price: $19,900
Maybach's emerald green interior option bathes occupants in a verdant hue that must be seen in person to be fully appreciated. Seductive green leather covers almost every surface of the cabin to make any owner feel like royalty (assuming he or she isn't already). The color also might remind passengers of the currency that was used to put them into such an opulent environment.

6. Bentley Arnage R*
Option: Level 2 Entertainment Package
Price: $19,190
Need to keep demanding backseat passengers occupied during a road trip? Bentley's Level 2 package turns the rear seat into a veritable luxury lounge. Some of the more notable interior modifications are a beautiful wood veneer cocktail cabinet, a wine cooler located in the center armrest (Jeeves can be the designated driver), and two foldaway work tables ideal for signing documents or providing a resting place for champagne flutes.

Exterior additions include 19-inch chrome twin-spoke wheels, a jeweled fuel filler cap, and touches from Bentley's Mulliner Specification package.

7. Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano*
Option: Carbon-Ceramic Brake System
Price: $18,500
As in the F430, carbon-ceramic binders make the top-of-the-line 599 GTB Fiorano ($302,584) eminently suitable for high-intensity track use or just for bringing it down from illegal speeds on your local autostrada. And with a snarling 612-hp V12 engine underhood, the 599 GTB can definitely send the speedometer needle racing upwards.

The carbon-ceramic braking system reduces weight, dissipates heat more efficiently for fade-free performance, and significantly extends the life of the brakes. Of course, for $18,500, you could also replace roughly 450 brake pads on a Ford Mustang.

8. Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe*
Option: Brushed Stainless Steel Hood and Teak Deck Combination
Price: $17,000
This breathtaking option package from Rolls-Royce is for those who prefer the less discreet things in life. A stunning brushed stainless steel hood for the $407,000 Phantom Drophead Coupe commands attention as it converges on Rolls-Royce's timeless "Spirit of Ecstasy" winged hood ornament. And when cruising with the top down, passersby will be enamored by the nautically inspired teak deck that supplants the standard cloth tonneau cover.

Surely, those who can drop $17,000 for an option can also afford to maintain it — perhaps the same crews that buff the teak fittings on yachts will now add tonneau covers to their repertoire.

9. Ferrari F430*
Price: $16,808
Cast-iron brakes work well enough for most applications, but for truly exceptional stopping, carbon-ceramic brakes are the way to go. They can withstand high temperatures, so drivers can push their cars harder and longer with reduced stopping distances, especially at higher speeds.
Some say carbon-ceramic brakes are only useful for track driving, but anything that helps one stop efficiently is a boon for safety. Another thing Ferrari buyers who opt for the carbon-ceramic brakes will have to splurge on is a lifetime membership to an exclusive country club that counts a racetrack among its amenities. Those can cost up to $100,000.

10. Bentley Continental GT*
Price: $16,500
The most affordable option on our list still costs as much as a Volkswagen Jetta. For $16,500, buyers can outfit their $175,000 Bentley Continental GT with carbon-ceramic brakes that easily bring the large, heavy coupe down from high speeds.
Compared to the standard stoppers, these brakes are better prepared to withstand the repeated heavy use and high heat conditions associated with track driving. Cross-drilled front discs measure more than 16.5 inches in diameter, while the rear discs are nearly as large, reaching over 14 inches. The carbon-ceramic brakes are also 50 pounds lighter than the stock units. The reduced weight improves handling.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:33 PM

The S65 AMG, looking down on the S63 AMG? 2008 Mercedes S65 AMG V-12 Twin-Turbo

A week or so ago, my colleague Amy Skogstrom wrote about the Mercedes S63 AMG. She couldn't quite see the point of the car compared to the 'basic'S550. I couldn't agree more. Then I saw the keys to an S65 AMG sitting on my desk on Friday. I forgot about this mega sedan.

$140,000 is a lot of money for an S-Class (the S63) but $210,000 grand is crazy talk (S65). Sure, you get an extra 100 hp or so but do you need to go that fast in a huge sedan? The bigger difference between the two is that the S65 has a twin-turbo V-12 that makes an extra 273 lb-ft of torque. Yes, that's right, the mega Benz has 738 lb-ft of torque from 2000-4000 RPM. I remember someone telling me that the engine could make more power but it's limited due to the transmission. Ah yes, the transmission.

The Mercedes seven-speed auto that lives in the S63 can't handle all the twist so the S65 soldiers on with a 5-speed automatic. It's not that you really need any gears with all that torque but the personality of the tranny leaves a lot to be desired. As you drive the S65, you feel the transmission and the engine are constantly making sure they don't blow each other up. Shifts are somewhat slow and the engine ECU will not give you power until it makes sure the transmission has finished each shift. The in-gear acceleration is amazing but the S65 doesn't have polished powertrain feel of the S63. Clunks and shudders from the tranny remind you that it's a delicate balance to put all the torque to the ground.

All the power needs fuel and it looks like the S65 is quite picky about what you feed it. On the fuel door, it says the car needs 93 octane where most cars that want premium fuel have 91 octane as a minimum. Delivery of the car to our office was delayed as a previous loan put in 'bad fuel'. I'm not sure if this meant bad quality or low octane but all was sorted and it showed up at our office. During the first 200 miles or so, the S65 didn't feel as crazy fast or powerful as I remembered. Sure, it is blistering on the highway but it didn't feel much faster than the S63. I ran the car until the reserve light came on and then filled it up at a Sunoco station with 94 octane. Wow, did it make a difference. The freight train pull was back and I felt the full power of that mega V-12. It looks like the S65 wants to drink the good stuff. And does it drink. On a lengthy highway journey running just over 80 mph, it averaged 17 mpg. I guess that's better than many full size SUVs.

In the end, I'm still not sold on these 'sporty' S-Class models but they are fast. They're quite pointless and I can't understand why Mercedes insists on tuning in so much weight into the steering. Plus, the ride can get a little rough on broken pavement. I'd save the cash and get an S550.

One last thing, both the S63 and S65 sound great when you start them up from cold. Both raise up the revs at idle when cold and sound fantastic. OK, maybe that's where the extra money goes.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:41 AM

Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG (Robb Report June 2008)
Spacious and sporty; the latest S-Class combines the best of both worlds.

Mercedes-Benz new and mighty 6.3-liter V-8, built by performance division AMG, has slipped fully into the company's product mainstream, seemingly pow-ering everything Mercedes has to offer, from the SLK Roadster to fac-tory forklifts.

With 518 hp and 465 ft lbs of torque to speed one's travels, the 6.3 (which actually displaces 6,208 cc, but Mercedes prefers to round up to 6.3 liters) was the obvious choice for the 2008 S63 AMG, the V 8-powered performance version of Mercedes' S-Class headliners. At $128,000, the S63 is less pricey than the $195,000, hairier, scarier, V-12-powered S65 AMG, but no lighter in terms of driver satisfaction, quickness, luxury appointments, and the status that comes from owning one of the con-sistently best four-doors on the planet, built by a company that pretty much invented the automobile.

The S63's zero-to-60-mph time of 4.5 seconds is comparable to those of the sportier V-8 two-seaters from Aston Martin and Maserati, and it is only a blink slower than the Bentley Continental GT. That's not bad for a sedan weighing well over two tons.

Better yet, all the S63's feral muscle and punch, so exhilarating when the car travels in a straight line, is just as manageable on narrower roads that bend and curl. Steering is precise. Brakes are seemingly inexhaustible. A tighter suspension and flawless stability controls erase the waffle and plod and meander-ing that marred so many Mercedes--Benzes before AMG came on board.

The S63 displays none of the styling of yesteryear. It looms large, yes, but not lumpy. AMG's aerodynamic clad-ding is tasteful, stylish, and befitting a big athlete. The vehicle's interior fea-tures aluminum paddles mated to a 7-speed transmission, well-bolstered and upholstered sports seats, Alcan-tara suede and premium leathers, burl walnut trim as far as the eye can see, and the highest levels of everything, because this is, after all, a Mercedes.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Some good info, a lot was already known by myself. I am not sure what the significance of this thread is but that profile of an S Class or MB buyer is way off I do believe.

Most people I know that own MB's are in their 40's and on down. Like some others mentioned, I wonder who and how many people that they surveyed. In regards to S Class's, which model? You have the 500, 600, AMG's, 430 which all vary greatly in price. I don't own an S Class, but just a thought..

Last edited by bigben320e; 06-02-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:49 AM

Latest J.D. Power Quality Study from the U.S.: Mercedes-Benz receives three awards for best product quality

Stuttgart - Mercedes-Benz is one of the most successful auto brands in this year’s customer survey conducted by U.S. market research institute J.D. Power. The Stuttgart car brand receives two gold awards for the highest vehicle quality in their respective market segments, and is also honored for the world’s best production plant. This outstanding result is one outcome of the initiative launched by Mercedes-Benz to raise customer satisfaction and product quality.

In conducting the annual study, market researchers investigate the satisfaction of American customers with new vehicle purchases within the first 90 days, and evaluate the quality of both the concept and execution of the vehicle. Overall, Mercedes-Benz moved up one place against last year from fifth to fourth, and is the only vehicle brand with three models (CLK, E and S-Class) within the top ten passenger vehicles.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Originally Posted by JohnH4260
Latest J.D. Power Quality Study from the U.S.: Mercedes-Benz receives three awards for best product quality

Stuttgart - Mercedes-Benz is one of the most successful auto brands in this year’s customer survey conducted by U.S. market research institute J.D. Power. The Stuttgart car brand receives two gold awards for the highest vehicle quality in their respective market segments, and is also honored for the world’s best production plant. This outstanding result is one outcome of the initiative launched by Mercedes-Benz to raise customer satisfaction and product quality.

In conducting the annual study, market researchers investigate the satisfaction of American customers with new vehicle purchases within the first 90 days, and evaluate the quality of both the concept and execution of the vehicle. Overall, Mercedes-Benz moved up one place against last year from fifth to fourth, and is the only vehicle brand with three models (CLK, E and S-Class) within the top ten passenger vehicles.
And why the heck did you post this info?
You devil .
Now we will have to hear all the (dubious) competion going after/atacking MB and jumping off the bridges
Mark.

Great news nonetheless...
Old 06-07-2008, 06:53 PM

Mercedes-Benz S-Class Takes Top Honors In Strategic Vision's 2008 Total Quality Awards

The results for Strategic Vision's 2008 Total Quality Awards are in, and this year, two Mercedes models - the S-Class and the SL-Class - both managed to capture wins in their respective categories. In the "Luxury Car" segment, the S-Class achieved an impressive win with a Total Quality Index score of 950, enough to outperform the second-place Lexus LS by 28 points and also enough to make it the highest ranked of any vehicle on the list.

For those unfamiliar with the Total Quality Awards, every year Strategic Vision sets out to measure the "Total Quality Index" of new vehicles across a wide spectrum of automotive segments. The company polls new vehicle buyers that have owned their chosen model for at least two months, and asks them to rate all aspects of the ownership experience, including buying, owning, performance and driving. This year, the results were tallied from a total of 20,655 buyer responses, all of whom bought 2008 models in September, October and November of 2007.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:03 PM

AUTOWEEK DRIVERS LOG: 2008 Mercedes-Benz S63
IN FLEET: May 9-23, 2008
AS-TESTED PRICE: $143,310
DRIVETRAIN: 6.3-liter V8; rwd, seven-speed automatic
OUTPUT: 518 hp @ 6800 rpm, 465 lb-ft @ 5200 rpm
CURB WEIGHT: 4665 lb
FUEL ECONOMY (EPA/AW): 13/16.5 mpg

EDITORIAL ASSISTANT JONATHAN WONG: This Mercedes-Benz S63 is a supreme cruiser. It has more gizmos than the Sharper Image catalog and makes one heck of a statement on the road. Although it’s probably not something I would consider buying, I appreciate everything it brought me during a weekend that was packed with nearly 700 miles of driving.

The massive V8 engine muscles this heavy ship along easily and emits a throaty tone when you drop the hammer. According to Mercedes, 0 to 60 mph comes in 4.5 seconds, which is believable but totally floors me because it’s such a big car. When you gently push the throttle, you whip past slower traffic and merge onto the expressway with aplomb. The giant brakes are--as expected--strong, with a great pedal feel.

The best part is a ride that one of my back-seat passengers described as “gliding.” Cracks and potholes--even crater-size ones--do nothing to upset the ride; both passengers fell asleep as I chauffeured them. The S63 stays composed at all times, and the suspension keeps it smooth and steady when rounding on-ramps without large amounts of roll.

Distronic Plus cruise control proved to be my favorite gadget of all, and it is the best radar-cruise-control unit I’ve encountered. Set the system, turn on the massaging seats, dial up a favorite Sirius station and rack up the miles.

The S63 is a luxury suite on wheels that’s fun to drive and to be driven in. And it gets plenty of looks--why wouldn’t it? Its large 20-inch rims fill up the wheel wells to give it a lower stance and sleek looks.

You would own the road in this. That is, unless you run into someone driving the turbocharged V12 S65.

SENIOR EDITOR BOB GRITZINGER: Aside from this S63’s awe-inspiring power and handling, the electronics are nothing short of space-age. Driving home late at night in the rain, appropriately from a dinner with folks who do automotive telematics, I was happy to have the S63’s arsenal at my disposal. After punching my address into the navigation system and getting gentle guidance from the disembodied female nav voice, the lights and wipers all working automatically to provide visibility, I reached over and tapped the night-vision display to focus more tech on my path. With that front view replacing the speedo and providing an extra measure of visibility, I was comfortable clicking on the Distronic active cruise control to handle matching pace with traffic on my chosen route homeward.

Yes, the S63 is a beast when you want to drive hard, but it’s like a leather-lined personal jet fighter when you want some computer-aided coddling as well.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:56 PM

S550 Is All Class
June 17, 2008: By Jill Ciminillo Chicago Sun Times - Auto Editor

There is a Mercedes-Benz S-Class parked in the garage I use for work. It sits in the same reserved spot every day. It’s there when I come in; it’s there when I leave. And, I have to admit, though I’m in and out of cars all the time, I’m very jealous of the guy who owns that car.

Mostly because I know what’s waiting when you slip behind the wheel: Pure luxury.

I’ve driven everything from Bentleys to Lamborghinis to Maseratis, and while they’re all phenomenal cars in their own right, the S-Class is the only car I’ve found thus far that adapts to my thin form with the touch of a couple buttons. Through 14 different adjustments, the seat bottom can be shrunk; all the bolstering can be tightened to cradle my ribs and thighs. The height, the far-forward position, the lumbar support, the supple leather seats all feel like they were hand-created just for me after I’ve finished adjusting them. The best thing is, they can morph into a custom creation for you, too.

And I haven’t even mentioned the optional seat massagers. The rolling wave that travels up and down your spine is a great stress reliever as you are sitting on the Ohio feeder ramp trying to get into the downtown area. On the one day I was really stuck during my commute, I didn’t care. I just leaned back, turned on the Pulse mode and let out a nice relaxing sigh.

This is why I’m jealous of the guy who owns the car in the garage. He can do this any time he wants, yet the poor car sits in the garage more than it drives on the road.

And, being a Mercedes, this car isn’t just a luxury tourer, it’s meant to be driven.

The test vehicle was the “entry” 2008 S550 that has a base price of $87,575 and comes equipped with the 5.5-liter, 382-horsepower V-8 engine that delivers a 0-to-60-mph time of 5.4 seconds. Not bad for a vehicle that weighs almost 4,500 pounds.

I’ve only ever had the opportunity to drive the S550, but the S-Class also comes as an S600 ($145,075) with a bi-turbo V-12 engine that delivers 510 horsepower, the S63 AMG ($127,875) with a V-8 engine that delivers 518 horsepower and the S65 AMG ($194,875) with a 604-horsepower V-12 engine and F1-inspired manual shifter. Both the S600 and the S63 AMG deliver 0-to-60 mph times of 4.5 seconds. The S65 AMG has 0-to-60-mph times of 4.2 seconds.

After a week in the S550, though, I question the need for more horsepower. I thought the S550 was perfectly powered. It had plenty of gusto for merging, passing and the occasional stomach-dropping, quick acceleration. More horsepower would only get a driver into trouble. OK, let me clarify, more horsepower would get this driver into trouble. Have I ever mentioned that 2-hour trip from Chicago to Indianapolis? If any cops are reading this (cough) it never happened.

Even with the “lesser” powered engine, the S550 still consumes enough gasoline to have a $1,300 Gas Guzzler Tax slapped on it. EPA estimates city/highway fuel consumption to be 14/20 mpg.

During the test period, I felt like royalty. From a night at the symphony to a girls’ day out, my passengers and I had a lot of fun pushing all the buttons (except for that SOS one, please) and generally traveling in style. My backseat passengers liked the power rear sun shade. My front seat passengers liked the heated/cooled seats and optional dynamic side bolsters that help hold you in your seat during more aggressive driving.

The interior quietness was sublime, which opened the door for pleasant conversations or a great music-listening experience. Much of this was due to the infrared reflective/noise insulating glass. The problem, however, is that the glass worked too well. In fact, the windshield was so thick, my garage transponder couldn’t be read through the glass. I actually had to hold the transponder out the open sunroof to get it to work. Kind of makes you wonder how you would deal with an iPass.

In addition to having the perfect seating position in the S-Class, most everything in the cockpit was pretty well positioned and easy to reach. Except for the dial that operates the COMMAND system. It was located at the front of the armrest, which was slightly awkward for my far-forward position. This wouldn’t have been a huge deal, but the COMMAND controls pretty much every function of the car from the seat bolsters to the navigation to the radio.

The locations of the turn signal and cruise control were also a little confusing. Both wands were located on the left of the steering column with the cruise control on top. I habitually reached for the signal lever and got the cruise control instead.

The S-Class is a large vehicle with an overall length of 205 inches. Surprisingly, it is quite nimble and has a really decent turning radius. I never would have guessed this but had the opportunity to test it when I got blocked into my parking space at my condo. I had to do a series of tight turns right to get out and managed to do a complete 360 in about double that amount of space. Of course, the rearview monitor and Parktronic included in the Premium III package also played a part in freeing the S550. The guys who blocked me watched me maneuver out of my space then apologized after I was free. Without lifting a finger or moving one of their own vehicles. Boo. Chivalry is apparently very dead.

The standard powertrain on the S-Class is rear-wheel drive, but the S550 test vehicle came with the optional Mercedes-Benz 4Matic all-wheel drive system, which bumped the base price to $89,700. It then tacked on a slew of pricey options including Savanna/Cashmere premium leather ($1,310), Distronic Plus ($2,870), panarama sunroof ($1,010), Premium III package ($6,190) and the AMG sport package ($5,630). The final MSRP with destination and Gas Guzzler Tax was $108,885.

At this price point there were a couple of things I expected to see but didn’t. First, that Parktronic and rearview monitor I mentioned earlier should have been standard. If you’re spending almost $90K, this particular bell should be thrown in.

My biggest pet peeve on this car, however, centered around the sunroof. It was one-touch open, yet to close the sunroof, you had to hold the button the entire time. The windows were one-touch up and down, why not the sunroof?

Pet peeves and should haves aside, the S-Class is one of my favorite luxury vehicles. It’s large yet nimble, sporty but pure luxury. It has classy Mercedes-Benz looks and all the luxury amenities you could imagine, and whether I’m driving or a passenger I feel positively pampered.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Upon reading this I noticed the HP rating for the S63 is higher than the S600. When did that happen? Last I read , the HP on the S63 was somewhere in the mid to upper 400+range? What's the torque rating on the S63? Maybe that's where the S600 takes charge.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
According to the Business Week article above, Mercedes-Benz USA does not release AMG sales figures for the U.S. Not sure why, you would think MBUSA would be proud to release AMG sales figures for the USA.
Here are the USA latest production numbers from
AMG through 2006.
C 36 AMG

1995 401
1996 296
1997 199

C 43 AMG

1998 788
1999 546
2000 91

C 32 AMG

2002 1600
2003 878
2004 219

C 55 AMG

2005 1299
2006 451

CL 55 AMG

2001 303
2002 607
2003 1379
2004 611
2005 486
2006 182

CL 65 AMG

2006 52

CLK 55 AMG Coupe

2001 1343
2002 1467
2003 761
2004 509
2005 247

CLK 55 AMG Cabriolet

2002 1340
2004 782
2005 662
2006 180

CLS 55 AMG

2006 2765

E 55 AMG

1999 1104
2000 1203
2001 653
2002 997
2003 1318
2004 3218
2005 2214
2006 1187

E 55 AMG Wagon

2005 129
2006 64

G 55 AMG

2003 572
2004 294
2005 921
2006 393

ML 55 AMG

2000 2084
2001 1105
2002 735
2003 150

S 55 AMG

2001 1042
2002 1414
2003 1754
2004 854
2005 908
2006 429

S 65 AMG

2006 427

SL 55 AMG

2004 5217
2005 1542
2006 748

SL 65 AMG

2005 651
2006 390

SLK 32 AMG

2002 1182
2003 562
2004 312

SLK 55 AMG

2005 832
2006 1297
Old 06-22-2008, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by trumpet1
Upon reading this I noticed the HP rating for the S63 is higher than the S600. When did that happen? Last I read , the HP on the S63 was somewhere in the mid to upper 400+range? What's the torque rating on the S63? Maybe that's where the S600 takes charge.
Yes, based on the MB website, the S600 has a significant torque advantage over the S63.

2008 S550 Sedan
MSRP $87,575
Engine 5,461-cc DOHC 32-valve V-8
Net power 382 hp @ 6,000 rpm
Net torque 391 lb-ft @ 2,800 - 4,800 rpm

2008 S600 Sedan
MSRP $145,075
Engine 5,513-cc SOHC bi-turbo 36-valve V-12
Net power 510 hp @ 5,000 rpm
Net torque 612 lb-ft @ 1,800 - 3,500 rpm

2008 S63 AMG
MSRP $127,875
Engine AMG 6,208-cc DOHC 32-valve V-8
Net power 518 hp @ 6,800 rpm
Net torque 465 lb-ft @ 5,200 rpm

2008 S65 AMG
MSRP $194,875
Engine 5,980-cc SOHC 36-valve, bi-turbo V-12
Net power 604 hp @ 4,800 - 5,100 rpm
Net torque 738 lb-ft @ 2,000 - 4,000 rpm
Old 06-22-2008, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by lkirchner
Here are the USA latest production numbers from
AMG through 2006.
C 36 AMG

1995 401
1996 296
1997 199

C 43 AMG

1998 788
1999 546
2000 91

C 32 AMG

2002 1600
2003 878
2004 219

C 55 AMG

2005 1299
2006 451

CL 55 AMG

2001 303
2002 607
2003 1379
2004 611
2005 486
2006 182

CL 65 AMG

2006 52

CLK 55 AMG Coupe

2001 1343
2002 1467
2003 761
2004 509
2005 247

CLK 55 AMG Cabriolet

2002 1340
2004 782
2005 662
2006 180

CLS 55 AMG

2006 2765

E 55 AMG

1999 1104
2000 1203
2001 653
2002 997
2003 1318
2004 3218
2005 2214
2006 1187

E 55 AMG Wagon

2005 129
2006 64

G 55 AMG

2003 572
2004 294
2005 921
2006 393

ML 55 AMG

2000 2084
2001 1105
2002 735
2003 150

S 55 AMG

2001 1042
2002 1414
2003 1754
2004 854
2005 908
2006 429

S 65 AMG

2006 427

SL 55 AMG

2004 5217
2005 1542
2006 748

SL 65 AMG

2005 651
2006 390

SLK 32 AMG

2002 1182
2003 562
2004 312

SLK 55 AMG

2005 832
2006 1297
Thanks for the AMG production figures. Where did you get them?
Old 06-22-2008, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Thanks for the AMG production figures. Where did you get them?
From the AMG Private Lounge web site. You must have an AMG car. They require you to enter the VIN of your car to verify that you are an owner.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:09 PM

Developing the Mercedes-Benz Ocean Drive, Production Likely
Posted: June 23rd, 200

http://www.egmcartech.com/2008/06/23...ly/#more-22428

While the ending of the video says ‘whether this study goes into series production is an open question,’ one must think why Mercedes-Benz put so much work on creating a driving and working model of the Ocean Drive Concept.

It’s been reported before that Mercedes-Benz has given the Ocean Drive Concept, a four-door S-Class Convertible, the green light for production. Power is expected to come from a 5.5 liter V8 producing 510-hp with the range topper getting V12 producing up to 550-hp. A 6.2 liter AMG that produces 604-hp is also on the drawing board.

However, while many may think that the production Ocean Drive may take on the likes of an A7 convertible but we expect Mercedes to head a little up market setting its sights on Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe. Nonetheless, expect pricing to be well below the $412,000 of the Rolls-Royce to lure buyers away from the Phantom Drophead Coupe.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Nice. I bet if you see this thing in real life you'll drop your jaw with amazement. I like the fact it is based on the W221 S600 unlike the Maybach.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:40 PM

2008 Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG

As-tested price: $207,965
Drivetrain: 6.0-liter twin-turbocharged V12; rwd, five-speed automatic
Output: 604 hp @ 4800 rpm, 738 lb-ft @ 2000-4000 rpm
Curb weight: 5035 lb
Fuel economy (EPA/AW): 13/14.5 mpg
Options: Designo Mystic White edition including black lacquer, Alcantara headliner, wood/leather steering wheel, charcoal exclusive leather ($9,765); iPod adapter ($425)

OUR TAKE (Autoweek.com): "It's like a day at the spa," said a passenger enjoying the heated seat and its wonderful massage function. We agreed; we had enjoyed those same features a couple weeks prior in the "entry" S63 at $143,000, the only difference being this car comes with four extra cylinders, a pair of turbochargers, 86 more horsepower, 273 lb-ft more torque and a bigger monthly nut.

If you can afford it and you want to drive yourself, this is your car. It is as luxurious as it gets on four wheels--plus, it's a German-built rocket ship. The earth-rotating power from its twin-turbo V12 is nothing short of gasp-inspiring, regardless of where you are on the speedometer when you stuff your foot to the floor. Three figures come quickly, effortlessly, but completely controlled via the weighted steering, solid suspension and superb braking action.

It glides down the road with explosive V12 power. Overtaking maneuvers aren't an issue; it is just about insane when you find a healthy opening on the road.

While it's certainly not something in which you'll ever do hot laps around your local track for fun, it does shuttle a load nicely. The massive brakes are strong and get things stopped quickly.

The interior is spectacular. It has some of the most comfortable, infinitely adjustable seats you can get.

It is a stealth bomber. Sure, it's an S Class, and there's that "Biturbo V12" badge on the side, but until you disappear into the distance, few really know about the beast that lies within.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:28 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Indeed, '08 S65 is one of world's greatest supercars today

IIRC, whoover on this forum is fond of attacking the SF Penin mtn twisties in his S65....

Recently, had a chance to drive a colleague's '08 S65 in those twisties....simply a phenomenally well-balanced, enjoyable, precise car, even in challenging twisties......

Interestingly, my colleague w/'08 S65 traded in his '07 SL65 for this S65 b/c he needed a kid-hauler....he's now so addicted to driving his S65 every day that he has no interest in getting any AMG SL/CL.....and he views the inevitable steep depreciation of this 65 as worth every penny, given the rather addictive driving expce/daily-useability, all in one uniquely low-profile, incredibly safe, elegant structure.....simply brilliant engineering by AMG....
Old 07-06-2008, 09:51 PM

Joe Lorio on the 2008 Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG

Back in 1991, Automobile Magazine editor David E. Davis, Jr. wrote a column about the just-introduced 1992 S-class, specifically its nose-bleed pricing, as the top-of-the-line 600SEL reached $125,000. If a $100,000-plus S-class was big news back then, what to make of this $200,000-plus S-class?

The S65 AMG, with its custom-order "designo" interior, crests that magic number, reaching $207,965 as tested. Wow. True, there was no AMG version of the S-class back then. (A more direct comparison shows today's S600 starting at $145,075.)

Clearly, the success of Bentley has shown that there is sufficient oxygen to support luxury sedan sales at the lofty, $200,000 price level. And with Mercedes' own Maybach prices starting with a 3, the company obviously felt that the best way to play in the $200k neighborhood was to grow the S-class at the top end.

Thus, we now have not one, but two V-12 S-class sedans (the S600 and the S65 AMG), and not one, but two AMG S-class sedans (the S63 AMG and the S65 AMG). The latter situation is the most bizarre, with the $127,875, 504-hp, eight-cylinder S63 competing against the $194,875 (base price), 604-hp, twin-turbo V-12 S65. Both are insanely fast: 0-60 mph in 4.5 seconds versus 4.2 seconds. Both have similar chassis upgrades. Strangely, the V-12 actually gets better gas mileage-20 mpg highway versus 17-but it would take a long, long time to recoup the extra $67,000.

Whatever its reasons for being, the S65 is one sweet ride. The cream and black designo interior, with leather-covered everything, including quilted leather on the seats and door panels, is striking. Married with the S-class's art-deco-style dash and mood lighting, it creates a vastly different atmosphere than a Bentley's more traditional luxury décor.

The heavy overlay of luxury and refinement mean that the S65's capabilities can remain hidden to those without inclination to look for them. Throttle tip-in is languid, which is probably a good thing with 738 lb-ft of torque under foot. The steering is slightly heavier than a standard S-class, but-with the car's electric brain set to "comfort"-the suspension is just as supple and the transmission just as smooth as any other S-class. But the S65 is not any other S-class, and the first time you put your foot to the floor, you'll know. You'll know.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:01 PM

Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG Video

http://www.motortrend.com/av/reviews...iew/index.html
Old 07-06-2008, 10:18 PM

Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG - How to scare your passengers.

To shoppers strolling the priciest showrooms of the car market, the landscape these days looks a lot like it did in the 1930s. Bugatti is back and as over the top as ever, Bentley builds massive, fast GTs, Rolls-Royce is selling a Phantom again, Maybach has outsmarted the Grim Reaper, a coachbuilder like Fisker will craft Your Highness a custom body, and perched among these glitterati is the Mercedes S65 AMG, a car that blends luxury, performance, and exclusivity in a way that recalls Mercedes' supercharged supercars of the '30s.

To create an S65, AMG starts with the latest-generation S-class, adds a menacing body kit that wouldn't look out of place on a Roush Mustang, bolts on 20-inch wheels and tires that fill the exaggerated fender flares and house huge brakes, firms up the Airmatic suspension, and slips in its most powerful engine. There's no supercharged straight-eight under the hood from the glorious past, but the modern equivalent: a bombastic 6.0-liter twin-turbo V-12 that makes 604 horsepower and 738 pound-feet of torque.

Forget about 60 mph — that's over in a wheelspin-filled 4.2 seconds. Where the righteous S65 really shows its stuff is above 100 mph. Squash the accelerator, and before you can say Mississippi 22 times, 150 mph arrives, faster than a Ferrari F430. Braking is similarly astounding. In front, large 15.4-inch rotors defy reason and stop the 5081-pound S65 from 70 mph in 154 feet, a stop several feet shorter than Mercedes' outrageous 617-hp superstar, the $455,750 SLR, can muster.

In keeping with the tradition of being unobtainable, the S65 is priced much like its predecessors. Those top-of-the-line Mercedes of the 1930s cost roughly 15 times the price of a mid-'30s Ford. The S65 that passed through our hands bore a price tag of $191,215 or, roughly, what 15 Ford Focuses cost. Suddenly, it's 1936 again. By Tony Quiroga
Old 07-06-2008, 10:21 PM

2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class
Car and Driver Road-Trippers

Few earthbound vehicles are better suited to challenge a private jet for mile-eating supremacy than the Mercedes S-class. Whether you choose to drive or be driven, there’s an S-class model that will see to your happiness, massage your tired back, and clean out your bank account. The best luxury car on the planet makes you commander of innumerable mechanical and electronic armies, all tasked with making your experience more pleasurable. Heck, with the optional Distronic Plus cruise control, you’re only burdened with steering; accelerating and braking—right down to a complete stop—are handled by short- and long-range radar.

If you’re going to spend $87,575 for an S550, you might as well spend $194,875 for the top-of-the-line S65 AMG. The latter is spry enough to almost outrun its uncomely sheet metal—not to mention a Ferrari F430, which it will embarrass up to its electronically limited 158-mph top speed. It will come to a stop as abruptly as will an F430, too, or just to 65 mph, where, we assure you, Mr. Trooper, our cruise control was set. Sure, the S65, the S600, and the S63 all get 17 mpg on the highway, but we’re confident even truck stops accept American Express black cards.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:26 PM

2008 Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG - A bargain performer (uh-huh) at $136,245.
Short Take Road Test BY MARK GILLIES

In the convoluted hierarchy that constitutes the Mercedes-Benz model lineup, the S63 AMG makes sense as the bargain performance version of the S-class topliner.

The S63 AMG runs 0 to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds and rips through the quarter-mile in 13.0 seconds at 110 mph, all for the comparatively low base price of $130,775. (Yes, and we do mean comparatively.) Against that, the twin-turbo V-12 S600 covers those benchmarks in 4.2 seconds and 12.6 seconds at 115 mph, but it costs $147,975. If that's not enough speed or money, the über-S-class, the S65 AMG, starts at $189,575, matches the S600's 0-to-60 time, and records a 12.4-second quarter-mile at 118 mph.

Of course, the S63 looks the part, with typically stylish AMG body modifications and gorgeous 20-inch wheels shod with suitably low-profile 35-series Pirelli P Zeros. Inside, it features a special AMG steering wheel with aluminum shifter paddles and heavily bolstered AMG sport seats. Alcantara and leather cover almost every surface, convincing occupants that the car costs money with a capital M.

The S63 sounds wonderful, too, thanks to the now ubiquitous AMG 6.2-liter V-8, which growls malevolently under hard throttle. It's not as swift as the S600 and S65 at covering 30-to-50- and 50-to-70-mph passing, but times of 2.7 and 3.4 seconds, respectively, are still obscenely quick. The sport-tuned suspension gives up some ride quality compared with the S600 and S550, but the upside is that one can make this big car dance in the twisties. Braking, too, is impressive, with the 70-to-0-mph stop taking 159 feet.

But no matter how well the S63 performs, there was this nagging question: Do we really need a sporty version of the planet's best luxury car? The S550 is so good and so capable that we kept thinking the raison d'être for the S63, other than as a profit center, is to show other Mercedes drivers that, well, you're even better off then they are. In this day and age, when too much is never enough, the S63 serves a useful function, as it also delights the stockholders and management of Daimler AG.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:20 PM

DRIVERS LOG: 2008 Mercedes-Benz S63
IN FLEET: May 9-23
AS-TESTED PRICE: $143,310
DRIVETRAIN: 6.3-liter V8; rwd, seven-speed automatic
OUTPUT: 518 hp @ 6800 rpm, 465 lb-ft @ 5200 rpm
CURB WEIGHT: 4665 lb
FUEL ECONOMY (EPA/AW): 13/16.5 mpg

EDITORIAL ASSISTANT JONATHAN WONG: This Mercedes-Benz S63 is a supreme cruiser. It has more gizmos than the Sharper Image catalog and makes one heck of a statement on the road. Although it’s probably not something I would consider buying, I appreciate everything it brought me during a weekend that was packed with nearly 700 miles of driving.

The massive V8 engine muscles this heavy ship along easily and emits a throaty tone when you drop the hammer. According to Mercedes, 0 to 60 mph comes in 4.5 seconds, which is believable but totally floors me because it’s such a big car. When you gently push the throttle, you whip past slower traffic and merge onto the expressway with aplomb. The giant brakes are--as expected--strong, with a great pedal feel.

The best part is a ride that one of my back-seat passengers described as “gliding.” Cracks and potholes--even crater-size ones--do nothing to upset the ride; both passengers fell asleep as I chauffeured them. The S63 stays composed at all times, and the suspension keeps it smooth and steady when rounding on-ramps without large amounts of roll.

Distronic Plus cruise control proved to be my favorite gadget of all, and it is the best radar-cruise-control unit I’ve encountered. Set the system, turn on the massaging seats, dial up a favorite Sirius station and rack up the miles.

The S63 is a luxury suite on wheels that’s fun to drive and to be driven in. And it gets plenty of looks--why wouldn’t it? Its large 20-inch rims fill up the wheel wells to give it a lower stance and sleek looks.

You would own the road in this. That is, unless you run into someone driving the turbocharged V12 S65.

SENIOR EDITOR BOB GRITZINGER: Aside from this S63’s awe-inspiring power and handling, the electronics are nothing short of space-age. Driving home late at night in the rain, appropriately from a dinner with folks who do automotive telematics, I was happy to have the S63’s arsenal at my disposal. After punching my address into the navigation system and getting gentle guidance from the disembodied female nav voice, the lights and wipers all working automatically to provide visibility, I reached over and tapped the night-vision display to focus more tech on my path. With that front view replacing the speedo and providing an extra measure of visibility, I was comfortable clicking on the Distronic active cruise control to handle matching pace with traffic on my chosen route homeward.

Yes, the S63 is a beast when you want to drive hard, but it’s like a leather-lined personal jet fighter when you want some computer-aided coddling as well.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:59 PM

Maximum Strength Car Talk, Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG

What: AMG hand-built rocket motor turns S-Class sedan into Phantom Menace
How Much: Base price, $130,775; As tested, $135,235
What’s Hot: 518 horsepower. Handles like a smaller car. Menacing look (in a good way)
What’s Not: Really thirsty (hey, speed costs money). Column shifter seems strange in a car like this. Limited production.

On The Road: The current-gen S-Class always ranks first or second in any big banger sedan comparo we do. But this is my new favorite among them. The S-Class gets a full body makeover courtesy of the speed dealers at AMG, and the result is classy, mega luxurious, and seriously fast. The heart of it all is the 6.2-liter naturally aspirated, AMG-only V-8 that in this application whirrs out 518 horsepower and 465 pounds-feet of torque. Its backed by Benz’s own 7-speed automatic transmission, recalibrated for AMG duty and renamed Speedshift in the process. AMG also retunes the Active Body Control suspension system for less roll and a firmer ride. Big brakes, handsome and expensive looking 20-inch AMG alloys, and four mondo, burbling dual exhaust outlets. Inside you get premium leather sport seats, an Alcantara headliner, an IWC clock, and too much other stuff to list. But it’s the usual AMG treatment, cranked to max. It’s difficult to fully describe the way Big Benz eats the road, but it’s impressive to a fault. It goes, stops, handles, and does everything else a few steps beyond that of the normal S500, with only a slight ride penalty, and of course, it’s louder. And its screaming silly fast – how does a car this big run 0-60 in 4.5 seconds? Mercedes are born on the autobahns, but the S63’s high speed stability is faultless. The trans is a joy too: Plenty of ratios, quick response to paddle shifter commands, and it adapts to the way you drive. It would be nice to have more torque lower in the rpm band, but the trans compensates for this well. There’s a bit of tire thump on crummy surfaces, although it’s a small price to pay for the improvement in handling, and the look of this aggressive rolling stock. Love the way the sport seat bolsters squeeze you to hold you in during hard cornering. I personally prefer the E63, if only by a nose. It’s lighter, even more responsive, less costly, and just the size of car I like to drive. But it doesn’t have the gravitas of this AMG-ified flagship. If you want to feel like the king hauling your kingdom in a hurry, this is your ride.

Like this? Try These: Bentley Continental Flying Spur, BMW 760i, Audi S8

Bottom Line: Remember that line from a song by War that goes “I’m the handsome stranger in the black sedan, won’t you come inside my car?” Well, I’m no stranger and I’m anything but handsome. But the S63 surely ranks as one of the ultimate black sedans. -- Matt Stone

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average.

Quick Reply: Profile of S-Class Buyer