S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

enable command DVD while moving for passanger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
For those of you that have installed the VIM module, have you noticed on occasions where the DVD screen blacks out and the sound mutes for about 1-2 seconds while driving down the road not long after start up?? Mine has done it now about 5 times this past week. Seems to only occur within a minute or so after driving away from home/work. It comes back on resuming exactly where it left off if your watching a DVD, or if your listening to the radio or CD the screen blacks out and the music is totally silent. This seems to be a momentary shut off the radio/comand system and is really puzzling. It all started after installing the VIM.
It works fine otherwise and doesn't happen everytime I drive , but I noticed it twice today. Once while driving home and once again later this evening on an errand run. It's not a big deal, just wondering if anyone else has noticed this and again, it only happens one time during an engine start cycle. Once it does it, I never see it happen again until after a restart of the ignition and even then it's not every time.

I guess I'll have to call midcityengineering tomorrow and ask if this is a problem common to everyone or maybe just mine. I went back tonight and rechecked all connections and everything is fine (ground, connectors, LED indicator on the module, etc, etc).

Last edited by trumpet1; 02-25-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550 / S430 / E320
This has never happened to me. Does it happen with the VIM off?
Old 02-26-2008, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by NJS430
This has never happened to me. Does it happen with the VIM off?
Yes it does. It hasn't done it so far today and I've gone through 3 ignition cycles and driven each time around 10 minutes each. Like I said earlier, this may be a leftover fault code trying to settle itself after doing the VIM install. I'll keep you posted if this happens again.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 White/brown Nappa S550, '13 S550 4 matic, 11 S550 sold, '10 S550 Sports BLACK 08 S550 P3 sport
Originally Posted by trumpet1
Yes it does. It hasn't done it so far today and I've gone through 3 ignition cycles and driven each time around 10 minutes each. Like I said earlier, this may be a leftover fault code trying to settle itself after doing the VIM install. I'll keep you posted if this happens again.

Sorry to read about your problems ,any news from mid-city about it. also i have the 08 . the video in mine turns off as soon as u place the trans out of park. regardless whether the vehicle is moving or not. so it is not connected with the vehicle speed. do u think there might be an easier hack for VIM on the 08's.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:32 PM

S550 / S430 / E320
Is it possible that its having trouble reading one of the disks you have in the changer? I honestly haven't had any side effects caused by the VIM. If it happens often enough, you could disconnect the VIM to prove that the VIM is causing the problem.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Is it possible that its having trouble reading one of the disks you have in the changer? I honestly haven't had any side effects caused by the VIM. If it happens often enough, you could disconnect the VIM to prove that the VIM is causing the problem.
I thought of that but it completely shuts off the system for just a second(screen, sound, no menu, nothing). It also does it with radio, phone, and navi selected. IIRC, I don't even think I have to have the VIM activated. However, I think the problem is self-resolving as yesterday it didn't happen at all. I will keep an eye on it today and the rest of the week and if it happens again, I'll report back. Again, I may be witnessing a fault trying to correct itself as this seems to happen (but not always) within 5-10 minutes after start up while all the systems are cycling through checks. After that period of time, I can't remember ever noticing it.

If it happens again, I will remove the VIM module, watch it for a week and see if the problem goes away.

Last edited by trumpet1; 02-27-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:51 AM

S550 / S430 / E320
I thought of that but it completely shuts off the system for just a second(screen, sound, no menu, nothing). It also does it with radio, phone, and navi selected. IIRC, I don't even think I have to have the VIM activated. However, I think the problem is self-resolving as yesterday it didn't happen at all. I will keep an eye on it today and the rest of the week and if it happens again, I'll report back. Again, I may be witnessing a fault trying to correct itself as this seems to happen (but not always) within 5-10 minutes after start up while all the systems are cycling through checks. After that period of time, I can't remember ever noticing it.

If it happens again, I will remove the VIM module, watch it for a week and see if the problem goes away.
You might also check if you have the latest version of the command software that was updated for the 08 model year.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:52 AM

S550 / S430 / E320
Originally Posted by RajwanyS550
Sorry to read about your problems ,any news from mid-city about it. also i have the 08 . the video in mine turns off as soon as u place the trans out of park. regardless whether the vehicle is moving or not. so it is not connected with the vehicle speed. do u think there might be an easier hack for VIM on the 08's.
Do you have the VIM installed?
Old 02-28-2008, 12:16 AM

2015 White/brown Nappa S550, '13 S550 4 matic, 11 S550 sold, '10 S550 Sports BLACK 08 S550 P3 sport
Do you have the VIM installed?

no i have not. iam wondering if there would be something easier out there since the video shuts off the minute the trans moves away from park. any clues, thanks
Old 02-28-2008, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 249 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
no i have not. iam wondering if there would be something easier out there since the video shuts off the minute the trans moves away from park. any clues, thanks
Why would these guys have bought a VIM module if they knew about an easier way? Why would the VIM device makers not offer an easier way if there was one? This device anyway is an easy way. Some other options to try to hack the unit itself through diagnosis features have existed but that is expensive for a single car and some drawbacks have been reported too.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:51 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 S class
For those of you that have installed the VIM module, have you noticed on occasions where the DVD screen blacks out and the sound mutes for about 1-2 seconds while driving down the road not long after start up?? Mine has done it now about 5 times this past week. Seems to only occur within a minute or so after driving away from home/work. It comes back on resuming exactly where it left off if your watching a DVD, or if your listening to the radio or CD the screen blacks out and the music is totally silent. This seems to be a momentary shut off the radio/comand system and is really puzzling. It all started after installing the VIM.
It works fine otherwise and doesn't happen everytime I drive , but I noticed it twice today. Once while driving home and once again later this evening on an errand run. It's not a big deal, just wondering if anyone else has noticed this and again, it only happens one time during an engine start cycle. Once it does it, I never see it happen again until after a restart of the ignition and even then it's not every time.

I guess I'll have to call midcityengineering tomorrow and ask if this is a problem common to everyone or maybe just mine. I went back tonight and rechecked all connections and everything is fine (ground, connectors, LED indicator on the module, etc, etc).
Ive had mine since fall of last year and I havent had any problems with it like you are describing. I also asked my co-worker who also has the VIM and he hasnt had any problems either.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
It happened again twice yesterday. Once as I was backing out of the driveway and once a good 20 minutes after a separate startup after work. It , so far, has not happened twice during any one startup cycle. I may see if midcityengineering will give me another one. It works great otherwise and really is such a small isolated problem that I almost talk myself into just ignoring it and move on but I may regret that later.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:40 PM

S550 / S430 / E320
Thanks for clarifying. I thought you had the same problem as trumpet1. If you don't, then it would seem his issue may be unique or even unrelated.

It doesn't get any easier or cleaner than this solution. It's easy to install and easy to remove. You might want to wait until we find out what the issue is before deciding, but I have had no negative side effects - even the Nav still updates accurately every second with the device on.

Last edited by NJS430; 02-28-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Thanks for clarifying. I thought you had the same problem as trumpet1. If you don't, then it would seem his issue may be unique or even unrelated.

It doesn't get any easier or cleaner then this solution. It's easy to install and easy to remove. You might want to wait until we find out what the issue is before deciding, but I have had no negative side effects - even the Nav still updates accurately every second with the device on.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I were you. I think my issue is isolated and no big deal. I called midcity today but their tech won't be there until 3:00 so I will have to call back later. IKYposted.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:29 PM

2007 S550 & 2005 S500 (both FULLY loaded incl. AMG sport package)

Hi Buddy, firstly I wanted to thank you immensely for some very helpful tips when installing the VIM module i.e. hear the radio shut off and that is the correct wire to remove for installation of the VIM module. The entire installation was a cake walk and the back up camera works as well. However, I have also had occasions where the screen completely blanks out for a couple of seconds exactly as you have stated above. Shall keep myself updated through your inputs as to how to resolve this if happens for longer durations. However, it feels great to have the VIM active now. THANKS
Old 02-28-2008, 04:23 PM

S550 / S430 / E320
Originally Posted by sanjaysingh
Hi Buddy, firstly I wanted to thank you immensely for some very helpful tips when installing the VIM module i.e. hear the radio shut off and that is the correct wire to remove for installation of the VIM module. The entire installation was a cake walk and the back up camera works as well. However, I have also had occasions where the screen completely blanks out for a couple of seconds exactly as you have stated above. Shall keep myself updated through your inputs as to how to resolve this if happens for longer durations. However, it feels great to have the VIM active now. THANKS
Since both of you have MY07, I would suggest that it is related to the 07 configuration.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:37 PM

It doesn't get any easier or cleaner than this solution. It's easy to install and easy to remove. You might want to wait until we find out what the issue is before deciding, but I have had no negative side effects - even the Nav still updates accurately every second with the device on.
thanks for ur help. i will wait until the issues r clarified.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by sanjaysingh

Hey Sanjay,
I gave you a personal message to state pretty much what I'm saying here and that is, I really don't think this issue of the "black out" is really a big deal. It happens so quickly and so rare that only the nit picky freaks like me will even notice it. As long as the car seems to be OK and I'm happy with the VIM feature, I can deal with it. I think we have it hooked up just fine and that their really is no issue to worry about. I didn't have time to get back with midcity today but since I am off of work tomorrow, I will most likely be able to call them and at least let them know of the minor quirk in the system. Again, no sweat over this. It also may, just may, be the slight possiblility that others are having this issue but just haven't witnessed/noticed it yet. It may be a model to model issue < I simply don't know and probably shouldn't really care......but you know me....it'll drive me nuts to know what is going on here. Regardless, I'm happy with my VIM ability and I'm extremely happy with it.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Since both of you have MY07, I would suggest that it is related to the 07 configuration.
I think you have hit the nail on the head. Although we have upgraded our comands to '08 standards , their is a glitch in their somewhere that interferes with the operation of the VIM. It could be just about anything, even a phone interface interference, an ABC pump relay, an air conditioner sensor, who the heck knows.???? All I know is, it seems to be benign and not an issue that is worth worrying about. Thanks so much for your input in the matter and I really think you're at least partially right if not 100% correct on the matter.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:43 PM

2020 GTR Roadster, 2020 GT63S
Mine arrived today. I plan to install it tomorrow. I will report on my performance experiences .
Old 02-29-2008, 03:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by srice
Mine arrived today. I plan to install it tomorrow. I will report on my performance experiences .

Good luck. We're here if you need help. You probably won't have any issues but keep us posted on how you like it. My wife and kids love it.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by srice
hey can u try something. with the radio wire removed and vim not yet connected, check to see if video works while in motion. again do not connect the vim module, just unplug the radio wire. there will be no error codes..
Old 03-01-2008, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
I spoke with my service advisor today about the black out problem with my VIM module and my service advisor seems to believe they may can stop the problem with an updated flash of the comand software. I told them what I did and they were cool about it. My service advisor wants to purchase the VIM too and add it to his car
Today, it did it again this morning but later today it never did it again for almost two hours of driving. Really strange how it does it "at will" with no obvious reason.

Very minor issue to say the least.

I will keep everyone posted.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:32 AM

2020 GTR Roadster, 2020 GT63S
hey can u try something. with the radio wire removed and vim not yet connected, check to see if video works while in motion. again do not connect the vim module, just unplug the radio wire. there will be no error codes..
I didn't get to it today. I'll try to do the install tomorrow, and I'll let you know what happens.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
I'll try it tomorrow.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: enable command DVD while moving for passanger