S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Question regarding break-in of new S550, etc.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2008 | 04:52 AM

2008 S550
Question Question regarding break-in of new S550, etc.

Hello everyone:

I am brand new to the Forum and am waiting on delivery of my new S550 which was just built last week! I ordered in Pewter/Savanna-Cashmere, P3 (I love the drive-dynamic seats), AMG body pkg, wood steering wheel, rear sunblind pkg.

I did not order the ABC pkg as my dealer told me I didn't need it unless I intended to drive it aggressively quite a bit...after reading some of your posts that extole the virtues of this option, I am worried that I will not be pleased with the ride and handling of my car. Oh, well, too late now...

I have also bought a brand new take-off set of standard 9 spoke 18" wheels with Michelin Pilot rubber for winter use on ebay for $750, but need to purchase 4 TPMS sensors. Where can I buy those at the most reasonable price?

Finally, does anyone have an opinion as to the best break-in plan for my new engine? I have always bought used S-classes and this is my first new one!!!
Is there such a thing as a break-in period for engines nowadays? I am sure the owner's manual will speak to this, but I would appreciate hearing some of your thoughts.

So, if someone could advise on the TPMS sensors and new engine break-in I would appreciate it....
Old 02-24-2008 | 06:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Perhaps Tire Rack for the sensors:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...highlight=tpms
Make sure you get the new Siemens sensors instead of Beru that MB used on older cars.

I don't think new MBs need any very specific break-in, just the normal "avoid highest rpms and full throttle, the manual should give sufficient guidance (and you can download a pdf-copy from MBUSA if you are still waiting for the car).
Old 02-24-2008 | 01:41 PM

2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by borntoregulate
....I did not order the ABC pkg as my dealer told me I didn't need it unless I intended to drive it aggressively quite a bit...after reading some of your posts that extole the virtues of this option, I am worried that I will not be pleased with the ride and handling of my car. Oh, well, too late now...

Finally, does anyone have an opinion as to the best break-in plan for my new engine? I have always bought used S-classes and this is my first new one!!! Is there such a thing as a break-in period for engines nowadays? I am sure the owner's manual will speak to this, but I would appreciate hearing some of your thoughts.
Congratulations on your impending arrival! Unusual salesman you have there who did not try to persuade you to buy an option that he did not think you needed... (And refreshing!) You will be fine - you still have a new S-Class with the classic ride! Nothing out of the ordinary on break-in on the 5.5 V8. Just drive normally.

Chris
Old 02-24-2008 | 07:09 PM

S550 / S430 / E320
Originally Posted by borntoregulate
Hello everyone:

I am brand new to the Forum and am waiting on delivery of my new S550 which was just built last week! I ordered in Pewter/Savanna-Cashmere, P3 (I love the drive-dynamic seats), AMG body pkg, wood steering wheel, rear sunblind pkg.

I did not order the ABC pkg as my dealer told me I didn't need it unless I intended to drive it aggressively quite a bit...after reading some of your posts that extole the virtues of this option, I am worried that I will not be pleased with the ride and handling of my car. Oh, well, too late now...

I have also bought a brand new take-off set of standard 9 spoke 18" wheels with Michelin Pilot rubber for winter use on ebay for $750, but need to purchase 4 TPMS sensors. Where can I buy those at the most reasonable price?

Finally, does anyone have an opinion as to the best break-in plan for my new engine? I have always bought used S-classes and this is my first new one!!!
Is there such a thing as a break-in period for engines nowadays? I am sure the owner's manual will speak to this, but I would appreciate hearing some of your thoughts.

So, if someone could advise on the TPMS sensors and new engine break-in I would appreciate it....
I don't think you will be disapointed with the ride or handling without ABC.

I read the manual before mine arrived and followed its guidance which is as follows -

The more cautiously you treat your vehicle during the break-in period, the more satisfied you will be with its performance later on.
      • Avoid accelerating by kick-down.
      • Do not attempt to slow the vehicle down by shifting to a lower gear using the gear selector lever.
        • Select C as the preferred shift program for the first 1000 mile (1500 km).
        After 1000 miles (1500 km) you may gradually increase vehicle and engine speeds to the permissible maximum.