S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mercedes - quality & reliability problems

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Where I live a 2014 S550 is US$180k.
Here in DR parts and service are cheaper. A friend of mine crashed his 2005 W220 S400 CDI. He replaced the whole engine including the 2 turbos and labor for around US$6,500.
So a new S Class is almost twice as much where you live as it in the US, but a brand new twin turbo engine from Mercedes is 1/4 the price?
Old 11-19-2014, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
If my engine or transmission got cooked after my warranty expires, I would go to an trusted independent with a good reputation and get it rebuilt. That would be far cheaper than going back to a dealer. The dealers have some independent go to shops for certain repairs they do not have the time or expertise to fix quickly. I have seen engine and transmission rebuilds done in other car lines for 1/3 to 1/2 of what the dealer would charge. There are even locals or near locals that can reflash your ECU for a far cheaper price than going back to the dealer. Seems there is always a way to skin a cat if you are willing to be a bit patient.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Mike5215
So a new S Class is almost twice as much where you live as it in the US, but a brand new twin turbo engine from Mercedes is 1/4 the price?
Sounds like a either a rebuilt or a recycled engine installed, not new.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by Nuru
If my engine or transmission got cooked after my warranty expires, I would go to an trusted independent with a good reputation and get it rebuilt. That would be far cheaper than going back to a dealer. The dealers have some independent go to shops for certain repairs they do not have the time or expertise to fix quickly. I have seen engine and transmission rebuilds done in other car lines for 1/3 to 1/2 of what the dealer would charge. There are even locals or near locals that can reflash your ECU for a far cheaper price than going back to the dealer. Seems there is always a way to skin a cat if you are willing to be a bit patient.
When the 7 speed in my 220 went I took it to my Indie. They recommended a reman'd with a warranty versus tearing down and rebuilding. Parts and labor was a wash, but at least with the reman there was a guarantee. It still cost me $6000, but I had a coupon for 10% off.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 C230 sport sedan
I have had my W203 for just over 3yrs and i have a love hate relationship with her...Now i must admit i have driven the car hard for a bit and some stuff broke on her..but i finally understand the brand...and being a member of this forum i learned to love my little benz.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by C..Mr Amg
I have had my W203 for just over 3yrs and i have a love hate relationship with her...Now i must admit i have driven the car hard for a bit and some stuff broke on her..but i finally understand the brand...and being a member of this forum i learned to love my little benz.
That's pretty much it. They drive so beautifully when they're running well that you'll forgive them for their little transgressions. It's the price you pay (in addition to the price you actually paid) for driving a Benz.

It''s kind of like marrying a stripper. You know it's wrong and it's going to end badly, but the sex is so good you can't help yourself.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
When the 7 speed in my 220 went I took it to my Indie. They recommended a reman'd with a warranty versus tearing down and rebuilding. Parts and labor was a wash, but at least with the reman there was a guarantee. It still cost me $6000, but I had a coupon for 10% off.
That a significant bite but you are right a reman with a warranty is a good deal. How long was the warranty coverage?
Old 11-22-2014, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Two years, unlimited mileage
Old 11-22-2014, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
I definitely miss mine when its in the shop. The 221 so far hasn't been in for anything other than an A and a B service. They found some other minor stuff under warranty each time, and it needed a battery and front brakes last time so it was there for a couple of days. It hasn't had anything that would make it non drivable yet. Both 220's had the usual failures, Airmatic on both, a tranny on the 06, motor mounts, transmission mounts, rear main seal, a lot of small stuff. I added it up and the 2006 S500 had $13,000 in warranty repairs in a little over two years and then another $6000 for the tranny outside of warranty (by 3k miles). The 04 S430 had around $4500 before the warranty expired and I dumped it.

So now, i REALLY care about the warranty.

Great points here. When buying a used Benz (or any used German car for that matter), purchasing a warranty is paramount. I just purchased a 2007 S600 with only 24k miles for $37.5k. I also purchased an exclusionary service contract for 7 yr/ 75k miles with $100 deductible for only $3300 through my credit union. The way I see it, for just over $40k all in, I've got a 1 owner car that is in brand new condition, driven by a guy in his 70's who meticulously serviced the car (I have all of the records), that cost over $150k when new....and I paid a small fraction of the original price for a car that is as good as new. The warranty is cheap insurance on a car like this, and I'm expecting claims in the time I own it to far exceed the warranty cost. The warranty also adds a lot of value to the car since it's transferable if I decide to sell it in a few years. This car has soooo much more tech in it than a comparable 07 LS460 for not much more money (I used to have an LS460)....and it'll blow the doors off of almost every sedan, even 2014 models. New LS460's still don't offer as much tech as MB did in 2007.

Of course, the lower the mileage, the cheaper the coverage and longer terms available. IMO, it's always worth spending more to get a fully serviced low mileage car than an avg or above avg mileage car...especially considering how much more expensive the warranties are with more miles.

Last edited by DaveW68; 11-22-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
True. I've yet to lose money on a MB warranty on two of my three S Class (and the third one is well on it's way to break even). So much more pleasurable to own the car knowing you're protected. Anybody who preaches otherwise...self insured, repair fund, etc, has yet to really get hit with a 4 figure, or 5 figure mandatory repair, or has convinced themselves it won't happen to them, or both.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Yep, I am even thinking of extending my warranty with a CU warranty too, as I will have low miles comparatively when my warranty runs out in 2017 and a 7 yr/75k mile warranty is a good one at the prices I am seeing on the forum.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Yep, I am even thinking of extending my warranty with a CU warranty too, as I will have low miles comparatively when my warranty runs out in 2017 and a 7 yr/75k mile warranty is a good one at the prices I am seeing on the forum.

You'll get the best pricing and terms if your mileage is under 35k when you buy the warranty. It might even be worth buying it early and have double coverage to get the big discount and longer terms if you're approaching 35k prior to 2017.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by DaveW68
You'll get the best pricing and terms if your mileage is under 35k when you buy the warranty. It might even be worth buying it early and have double coverage to get the big discount and longer terms if you're approaching 35k prior to 2017.
I am actually thinking of getting an extended warranty next year. I am starting to contact a few of the sources identified in the forums and I am getting some good pricing. Depending on how the car actually behaves, I may keep it for a whole, and if so I will get an Aftermarket warranty from a CU in the future, a 7yr/75k mile (from warranty purchase date) warranty really fits my driving profile for the car.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Ford Fusion
I am actually thinking of getting an extended warranty next year. I am starting to contact a few of the sources identified in the forums and I am getting some good pricing. Depending on how the car actually behaves, I may keep it for a whole, and if so I will get an Aftermarket warranty from a CU in the future, a 7yr/75k mile (from warranty purchase date) warranty really fits my driving profile for the car.
If you are looking for extended coverage or a vehicle protection plan, look no further. Autopom is an accredited business by the BBB and has an A rating, along with an "A" rating from A.M. Best

We are not your typical vehicle protection plan provider (call center) we are a specialty agency, staffed with knowledgeable agents whom recognize the unique requirements of each of our clients.
Our mission is to make every client feel the peace of mind that comes from having the right vehicle protection plan at the right price.

If you are interested in obtaining a quote please feel free to message us with the year/make/model/mileage and your state of residency. We will be happy to send you a quote along with sample contract.

Feel free to contact us at (800) 724 8141 , or check out our website at http://www.extended-vehicle-warranty.com/

*Some Make/Model may not apply based on state/mileage/etc.*
Old 12-19-2014, 08:57 AM

Presently own 96 E 320, 02 ML 500, 12 E 350 and 10 S 550
I read your post questioning MB's quality from 2008. What's your opinion today? I own four and it's been nothing but rewarding all around. NO QUALITY ISSUES. I also don't let quacks do maintenance or repairs on them either, I find that's where a lot of a lot of problems stem from.

(now going back to why I'm browsing the forum: looking to see what I can find out about the durability of alternators. My 2002 ML 500 looks and runs like new, has 190k now and the alternator hasn't worn out yet and that is wonderful. I'm wondering how much longer it'll last.)
Perry
Old 12-19-2014, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
How did you find that a lot of quality issues were the result of letting "quacks" work on your car(s)?
Old 12-19-2014, 09:51 AM

Presently own 96 E 320, 02 ML 500, 12 E 350 and 10 S 550
I expect 100% quality workmanship for maintenance and repairs to my cars to quell subsequent issues stemming from poor workmanship. Before owning MBs, entrusting my first couple of cars to perceived good choice repair/maintenance shops, had resulted in damaged heater hoses because of other work performed. The heater hose would then leak. I've gotten car back with loose reassembly, or forgotten to be tighten parts, leaving bolts out, not replacing finish caps, broken finish covers, damage to the paint finish because someone used a gritty shop rag to wipe a spot. Once got an alignment done to my Toyota at the dealership. POOR at best. I asked to see the "after" spec sheet, and they finally relented, it clearly showed the settings remained out of range. Needless to say, I was refunded, took my car to another dealership, and when I got it back with proper settings, it handled and steered like it was on rails. We all have our stories.
When I do my own repairs or maintenance, I make sure and know eventhing is done right, I take the time to go over it too to make sure I didn't miss anything. If not myself I entrust my local MB dealerships and they deliver quality. Mistakes can happen there too but they stand behind EVERY thing they do and make good. What more can one ask for.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3-pointed star
Originally Posted by perrymolina
I expect 100% quality workmanship for maintenance and repairs to my cars to quell subsequent issues stemming from poor workmanship. Before owning MBs, entrusting my first couple of cars to perceived good choice repair/maintenance shops, had resulted in damaged heater hoses because of other work performed. The heater hose would then leak. I've gotten car back with loose reassembly, or forgotten to be tighten parts, leaving bolts out, not replacing finish caps, broken finish covers, damage to the paint finish because someone used a gritty shop rag to wipe a spot. Once got an alignment done to my Toyota at the dealership. POOR at best. I asked to see the "after" spec sheet, and they finally relented, it clearly showed the settings remained out of range. Needless to say, I was refunded, took my car to another dealership, and when I got it back with proper settings, it handled and steered like it was on rails. We all have our stories.
When I do my own repairs or maintenance, I make sure and know eventhing is done right, I take the time to go over it too to make sure I didn't miss anything. If not myself I entrust my local MB dealerships and they deliver quality. Mistakes can happen there too but they stand behind EVERY thing they do and make good. What more can one ask for.
Well said sir
Old 01-09-2015, 03:19 AM

S 500 4 matic (W220)
Hi guys,
I am new to MBWorld and send you all a big hello from Switzerland.
Regarding reliability, I have to say that my 2006 S500 4 matic (W220) has now clocked 288,000KM / 180,000Miles and I have had no problems with her. She's been driven in summer and winter come rain or shine (or snow). Only once was the airmatic pump worn out (at about 80,000Miles) but other than that not any issues. She was one of the last W220s made as far as the dealer could establish. The secret is to service at a MB dealer regularly. Sure, that comes at a price but I don't know of many cars that have such odometer readings which still look and drive as though they just came out of the factory. This amazes me as the W220 is not in the MB history books for being the best of the best. On top of that the 4 matic is phenomenal in snow. We have snow in considerable quantities every winter and I have always managed to get to the mountains, have left many an SUV behind in my dust and all that in supreme comfort and safety.
Have a great day.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Hello and welcome on joining MBWORLD SclassGuy. Thanks for Sharing your experiences. I have read similar reports on other forums. Everyone says the same thing - get it service regularly and your luck will tend to be a lot better. another thing that is said is, if you are buying used, only buy a car with as much of the factory warranty left on it as you can afford, then also purchase the extended warranty from MB before your factory and CPO warranty run out!
Old 01-31-2015, 09:12 PM

E550, E350, CL550
Exclamation Window and Moonroof Opened in the Rain?!

I have several Mercedes and especially love the E Class. But we have a 2007 E350 that was just serviced that for no reason at all, while turned off and no key in it, lowered all 4 windows and opened the moon roof when it started to rain tonight! I've read that BMW's had this problem in the late 90's and that is was the driver door lock actuator. Has anyone heard of this or have a solution. This car is in PERFECT condition and has never given us a single problem. That this happened right after it being in service only a day ago..makes me wonder.
Thank you for your consideration and feedback. Help!
Old 05-07-2016, 04:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 S550 4MATIC (W222), 2012 GLK350 (X204), 2008 CLK350 cabriolet (A209), 2011 E350 (W212)
'13 S550

Originally Posted by NJS430
You won't find anyone who is more critical or obsessive about their car than me. I have owned five MB's and understand the source of the criticism. Some of it is justified, and some of it stems from the frustration of owners with regard to systemic deficiencies. I'm probably one of the few people who read the manual cover to cover and do a lot of research to understand how everything works.

My bottom was the 2002 W220 - nice car, but cheap materials on the inside and many problems with systems. Too many new things - airmatic, comand, etc.that weren't tested long enough. Lot's of things failed and the dealer fixed them promptly, and for free, but you can't fix the quality of the parts after they are installed. The 2004 W220 was a different car, looked the same but much better on quality. I honestly did not have that many problems in the four years I had it. An airmatic sensor in the front left wheel was the biggest problem.

I now have a 2008 s550. This car sets a new standard for quality in Mercedes. Nothing has gone wrong with mine. Stopped back at the dealer for the initial check and haven't been back since. That was 5 months ago. The quality and feel of ever thing has been upgraded and the systems work very well. My understanding is that MB ran a large fleet of these cars with blackboxes inside for an extended period of time to catch all of the failures. From my standpoint it worked. Sure, there may be some nitpicky software issue here or there, but I haven't heard of anything really major.

The distronic+ parktronic sensor issues are mostly not issues at all, mostly warnings regarding system interference which isn't a system failure. I use to think mine was going off for no reason at all when I pulled into the garage. Now I understand its picking up the pole supporting the beam if I drive too close to it.

I think Consumer Reports is wrong in their assessment and time will prove that these cars are much better in quality.

Enjoy your new S when you get it. I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Hello, I know that your post is old, but I found it doing some research on S class reliability. I have had an '11 E class with very few issues over the course of 2.5 years I owned it. Unfortunately a red light runner hit me and totaled the car. I'm in the market and have always liked a bigger car with a V8, so I am strongly considering a S550. I have found a very well priced 35k mileage 2013 and wondered your thoughts on electrical system reliability, actually reliability in total. It seems it was at the end of the generation, but I notice the prior owner had it in the MB dealer service bay monthly for the last few months before selling it for "body electrical"... As you know carfax is fairly generic. I'm thinking there is an issue that they could never diagnose hence the need for multiple visits, but it shows a battery replacement at 10k, and then monthly electrical checks from 30k on for a few months. Just curious - I really want to buy the car (it's certified and I will extend to the max) but don't want a car that is in the shop more than in my driveway. Plus, if I love it and want to keep it after warranty expiration I don't want to be stuck with a major repair at some point. No one has a crystal ball and if it did have problems I would have years of warranty coverage to fix it and decide to trade it.. I'm trying to let my head make this decision rather than my heart which sees such a beautiful car, tech marvel and knows MB build quality is usually exceptionally solid.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I've had three, a 2004 S430, 2006 S500 and a 2010 S550. They're not disasters at all from a reliability standpoint. It's just that when something goes it's usually pretty expensive, shockingly so if you're not used to owning a high end German luxury car.

I wouldn't hesitate to grab a clean low mileage CPO 2013, take the warranty out the full three years and plan on unloading it after that. They are an addiction though. Very few cars drive like an S or pamper their occupants like an S. It'll spoil you for an E or pretty much anything else for that matter.

If you're having trouble rationalizing such an exorbitant purchase, bear in mind the 221 is among the safest cars on the planet. So really you're doing your family a disservice by not buying one.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buick Enclave
Originally Posted by whoover
What does this have to do with reliability? Look at the list! All of this technology, unimagined in the "golden age" is incredibly complex. Who asked for it? We did! Camry drivers don't.
I did not ask for any electronic, sensors, anything about the car. Did you asked for it? It is just offered to me. I gave up from S500 last year because of reliability.

You asked Mercedes about it but you did not ask Lexus? Strange.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:53 AM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
W212 E63 AMG S Model
Mercedes Benz cars are pretty reliable for the first owners... and that's all Mercedes cares about. After the car is out of warranty, it magically starts to break down and require lots of time and money at the shop. This is how they profit:

1) First owner goes and buys / leases a brand new Mercedes (Mercedes makes all their money right here)
2) The car is driven until it's out of warranty and once it is, Mercedes convinces the owner that the car is old and the new styling is out, blah blah and typically Mercedes owners buy into this and just get the newest model.
3) The second owner acquires the car and now that Mercedes can't make much money off of that purchase, they will get that money back through repairs and service that are needed due to lack of quality on that car (why else are 2010 CL65 AMG going for like 50k now?!).

Those second, third, etc. owners are usually us here on the forums and we go and rant about all of this stuff. It's funny because when you mention this stuff to one of the sales people at the dealership, they will say "well of course, it's an old car now!"... and then you're thinking, well, if it's really "the best or nothing", it shouldn't have any issues 4 years after it originally sells with only 60k miles.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes - quality & reliability problems