S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Distronic cruise control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Distronic cruise control

I often wonder what is the difference in Distronic Plus and the original Distronic? When did Distronic Plus become available and did it exist on the W220 model?
I do recall seeing it developed as far back as on some of the latest W140s in the late '90s but I don't recall ever seeing it sold on W140s here in the USA. I just saw it on a test car.
Anyone know? The car I have now is my first experience with it and I never really watched its evolution over the past decade.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1953 Fiat Topolino
My 2 centavos on Distronics Plus...

Distronics Plus was introduced by MB on the '07 S class, the first German firm to start using this advanced technology. Other German manufactures like BMW started using it in MY08 (although they call it by another name). One of the main improvements of Distronics Plus over the Distronics 1.0 is that it works down to a full stop. The original Distronics 1.0 would disconnect automatically under a minimum speed (maybe 40 MPH or less). As you know from your S600, it allows Distronics Plus to be used in heavy traffic areas and stop and go situations. In general, it also has been improved to operate more reliably than the previous generation (for example: better tracking obstacles/vehicles ahead when car is in Hway curves). Distronics Plus now also incorporates a radar function for Parktronics so that the funny plugs on the bumpers are no longer required on cars so equipped. It also improves safety via advances in prepping car (tightening seat belts, positioning of seat and headrest, etc) as radar anticipates a possible impending crash. On the later '08 and '09 models, Distronics Plus has been expanded to incorporate capabilities related to Blind Spot and advanced Park Assist. As far as the negative side of this advanced radar based system, Distronics Plus uses an extended wave length band that interferes with the use of radar detectors to the point of making them worthless (that plus the special coating of the windshield and other glass of car). Distronics 1.0 did not interfere with radar detectors. This is all from my fuzzy memory after loads of turkey and not inconsequential quantities of fine Pinot Noir. Hope others have more technical information on the subject matter. Saludos, Z356.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I'd say the above covered more than Distronic Plus, in my opinion the main differences of Distronic Plus to Distronic are the "bring to stop" funcion as described above as well as the extended high speed range. The maximum braking power has also been increased (I believe from 180 km/H to 200 km/h). The rest are more of the Park Assist (Parktronic) features although Distronic Plus is making use of Park Assist radars.

The main Distronic radar is still working at 77 GHz but the bumper radars are working at 24 GHz (those did not exist earlier).
Old 11-28-2008, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Thanks Z and Diesel for the refresh on this feature. Most of this I already knew but had forgotten. Thanks again for the memory jolt. Regardless, it is a great feature hard to live without if you're a freeway/autobahn driver.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Z356
Distronics Plus was introduced by MB on the '07 S class, the first German firm to start using this advanced technology. Other German manufactures like BMW started using it in MY08 (although they call it by another name). One of the main improvements of Distronics Plus over the Distronics 1.0 is that it works down to a full stop. The original Distronics 1.0 would disconnect automatically under a minimum speed (maybe 40 MPH or less). As you know from your S600, it allows Distronics Plus to be used in heavy traffic areas and stop and go situations. In general, it also has been improved to operate more reliably than the previous generation (for example: better tracking obstacles/vehicles ahead when car is in Hway curves). Distronics Plus now also incorporates a radar function for Parktronics so that the funny plugs on the bumpers are no longer required on cars so equipped. It also improves safety via advances in prepping car (tightening seat belts, positioning of seat and headrest, etc) as radar anticipates a possible impending crash. On the later '08 and '09 models, Distronics Plus has been expanded to incorporate capabilities related to Blind Spot and advanced Park Assist. As far as the negative side of this advanced radar based system, Distronics Plus uses an extended wave length band that interferes with the use of radar detectors to the point of making them worthless (that plus the special coating of the windshield and other glass of car). Distronics 1.0 did not interfere with radar detectors. This is all from my fuzzy memory after loads of turkey and not inconsequential quantities of fine Pinot Noir. Hope others have more technical information on the subject matter. Saludos, Z356.
Parktronic is now behind the bumper in K-band.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VW Passat
Could someone please clarify if Distronic Plus, with its hidden radar-based sensors for close range, replicates the functionality of forward Parktronic ultrasonic sensors for parking maneuvers?

Also, could someone confirm that Distronic Plus is incompatible with Parktronic but normal Distronic is compatible with Parktronic sensors?

Lastly, does Parktronic automatically give both front and rear sensors, or does it only include rear ultrasonic sensors?

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2008, 07:30 PM

06' E500 Estate, '08 S65, '05 S430
Did anyone ever figure out if the blind spot assist could be retrofitted?
Old 12-17-2008, 07:37 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by jeffreyy
Did anyone ever figure out if the blind spot assist could be retrofitted?
I don't believe so. I did pursue this the possibility with my SA but it appears that there is some wiring that needs to be in place.

As MB sent me a check to compensate for not having it on my MY2008 I have not pursued it since. I am sure stick on blind spot mirrors are cheaper!

Chris
Old 12-17-2008, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by benzmodz
Parktronic is now behind the bumper in K-band.

My brother in law followed me to my house from work the other evening and he said his K band radar detector was beeping the whole way home. I always wondered why cars were suddenly slowing down when they got near me on the interstate.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dharmabhum
Could someone please clarify if Distronic Plus, with its hidden radar-based sensors for close range, replicates the functionality of forward Parktronic ultrasonic sensors for parking maneuvers?

Also, could someone confirm that Distronic Plus is incompatible with Parktronic but normal Distronic is compatible with Parktronic sensors?

Lastly, does Parktronic automatically give both front and rear sensors, or does it only include rear ultrasonic sensors?

Thanks!

Distronic Plus comes with radio radar sensors both at the front and the back where these low frequency radar sensors perform the tasks of the ultrasonic sensors previously used, plus a bit more.

You cannot have the bumper radar sensors together with the ultrasound sensors but there is an option for the W221 too where the Distronic main radar exists with traditional ultrasonic Parktronic sensors. This is mainly for some countries where the bumper radars were not allowed (at least at the time of introduction of the W221).
Old 12-18-2008, 11:46 AM

VW Passat
Thanks Diesel. It helps clarify a lot.

With Parktronic, does it include both front and rear ultrasonic parking sensors? Is there an option to have only rear or only front sensors? Can I assume that anywhere I see Parktronic on a price list, that it means I would receive both front and rear sensors?
Thanks in advance again!
Old 12-18-2008, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dharmabhum
With Parktronic, does it include both front and rear ultrasonic parking sensors? Is there an option to have only rear or only front sensors? Can I assume that anywhere I see Parktronic on a price list, that it means I would receive both front and rear sensors?
Thanks in advance again!
Yes, Parktronic (with option code 220) would have sensors at the front and the rear. Actually I have not seen rear only being a factory option for any of the MB models I've owned.

There is a rear only retrofit kit which is usually called "Quickpark". It usually also has a speaker only to indicate an object, instead of the display that also shows on which side the object is.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:19 PM

VW Passat
Awesome, thanks again Diesel. I ask because the G-Class does offer only rear sensors on the Parktronic option, but it specifies it as such in the price list. Its also a different option code than normal Parktronic (code J44).

I had heard that some other models, like the C-Class and perhaps another C**-Class, might have only rear sensors, but every price list I have shows the Parktronic (code 220) option and does not specify rear sensors only, as was the case on the G-Class. Sounds like I can be pretty certain that they all have front and rear sensors when offering Parktronic (code 220). If anyone finds any contradictory information though, do post.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Originally Posted by trumpet1
I always wondered why cars were suddenly slowing down when they got near me on the interstate.
Suddenly it hit me too why they are slowing down. Not only slowing down but also merging in a panic into the middle line and give me a right of way
Oh well, pluses and minuses of Distronic Plus.
Mark.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by markopolo
Suddenly it hit me too why they are slowing down. Not only slowing down but also merging in a panic into the middle line and give me a right of way
Oh well, pluses and minuses of Distronic Plus.
Mark.

LOL! Same here.

I often wonder if it affects the radar guns of the police? Would it scramble their guns accuracy?

From what I've read, our cruise control operates on K band frequencies. Infiniti cruise control systems use laser and they set off laser based radar detectors too.

One thing that some folks are concerned with are radar jammers. It makes me wonder if our Distronic cruise controls could malfunction if we are tailing someone with a jammer or if a jammer is coming straight at us while using Distronic!
Something to think about.

Last edited by trumpet1; 12-19-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It is only the radar sensor on the bumpers that operate on K-band (24 GHz) and detect "close range" objects. The main radar at the centre operates at 77 GHz and is the main radar for Distronic cruise control, the bumper radars are used to bring the car to standstill when slowing down (at normal driving speeds the distance to the next car is kept above the range of the 24 GHz radars.

The Distronic Plus cruise control should deactivate if it detects that it cannot operate properly, I'm not sure if it would be sufficient to do that if the bumper radars are jammed or if one would have to jam the 77 GHz radar too.

Jammers are not allowed where I drive but you should have noticed the cruise going off if it would be sensitive to those, or police radars. I believe the problem is mainly radar detectors getting confused from the radars on your car, I don't think even the police radar would get blinded, not sure, and they may use laser guns anyway.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:07 AM

S500 LWB ( W221 ) - CL63 Biturbo ( W216 ) CL 55 Kompressor ( W215 Sold ) C43 AMG ( W202 Sold )
I have Distronic Plus and live in the UK.

I have to go to Cambridge from London occasionally and i use the M11 (Freeway), on the way up i have to pass the Duxford Air Museum and at that exact place the Distronic + disables itself and refer to owners manual comes up. As it is close to Cambridge it is still deactivated while i am there which means the Parktronic does not work, the Distronic + starts to work after i have passed the Museum by a couple of miles on my way back to London. Any idea's ?
Old 12-23-2008, 06:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mercedes22
I have Distronic Plus and live in the UK.

I have to go to Cambridge from London occasionally and i use the M11 (Freeway), on the way up i have to pass the Duxford Air Museum and at that exact place the Distronic + disables itself and refer to owners manual comes up. As it is close to Cambridge it is still deactivated while i am there which means the Parktronic does not work, the Distronic + starts to work after i have passed the Museum by a couple of miles on my way back to London. Any idea's ?
Believe me or not, the standard advice should be good here too: RTFM.

See here:
http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/manual...13e89395.shtml

Vehicles with COMAND and navigation system*: the radar sensor system is deactivated automatically near radio telescope facilities. If Distronic Plus*, Park Assist*, Park Guidance*, Blind Spot Assist* or PRE-SAFE® Brake* are activated at this point, a corresponding warning will appear in the multi-function display to tell you that the radar sensor system is being switched off. BAS PLUS* is also no longer available. If the deactivation does not occur automatically, you must deactivate the radar sensor system using the on-board computer

United Kingdom
Cambridge
52°09'59" N, 00°02'20" E
9 km
Darnhall
53°09'22" N, 02°32'03" W
5 km
Jodrell Bank
53°14'10" N, 02°18'26" W
9 km
Knockin
52°47'24" N, 02°59'45" W
5 km
Pickmere
53°17'18" N, 02°26'38" W
5 km
Old 12-23-2008, 09:52 AM

S500 LWB ( W221 ) - CL63 Biturbo ( W216 ) CL 55 Kompressor ( W215 Sold ) C43 AMG ( W202 Sold )
Many thanks for that Diesel Benz. What a fountain of knowledge you have.

We now have the exact coordinates for the Duxford Air Museum.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Original distronic does not have full braking power, I believe it can only use 20% of braking capacity, if more was needed it would start beeping at you. The Distronic Plus can use 100% braking capacity I believe.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by Kar don
Original distronic does not have full braking power, I believe it can only use 20% of braking capacity, if more was needed it would start beeping at you. The Distronic Plus can use 100% braking capacity I believe.

40%
Old 12-26-2008, 06:50 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by trumpet1
LOL! Same here.

I often wonder if it affects the radar guns of the police? Would it scramble their guns accuracy?

From what I've read, our cruise control operates on K band frequencies. Infiniti cruise control systems use laser and they set off laser based radar detectors too.

One thing that some folks are concerned with are radar jammers. It makes me wonder if our Distronic cruise controls could malfunction if we are tailing someone with a jammer or if a jammer is coming straight at us while using Distronic!
Something to think about.
distronic+ has a limited jamming effect on certain olderK band guns. All modern radar guns use digital signal processing and detect when there is an interfering signal and either switch frequencies or report a fault condition.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by rob13572468
distronic+ has a limited jamming effect on certain olderK band guns. All modern radar guns use digital signal processing and detect when there is an interfering signal and either switch frequencies or report a fault condition.
Thanks for the info. I was wondering about that.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:56 PM

2020 S63+2014 E550 Cab+2019 E450
I have an S550 with Distronic Plus. Will the car actualy brake itself if it thinks a crash is about to occur? I've had the belts tighten and the drivers seat adjust if I've been aggressive but I had read it could apply the brakes as well.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
I think the USA version will not apply the brakes, but it WILL jam the brakes if you touch the pedal and you are about to collide... if that makes any sense. It is called Brake Assist Plus.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Distronic cruise control