S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Need Help with my New S550 4Matic...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 06:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 White/brown Nappa S550, '13 S550 4 matic, 11 S550 sold, '10 S550 Sports BLACK 08 S550 P3 sport
Originally Posted by BlackMamba24
Thanks Nitromilt...im trying to think postive but its just a very frustrating situation because i wanted to be error free for a while...that yellow tire symbol absolutely pisses me off. I can't stand it...first thing tomorrow morning im calling that dealership...hopefully its a quick fix.

Diesel Benz, thanks for posting that information. The dealership changed the tires. I'm just wondering if there is something that they needed to do after changing the tires that they forgot to do which is causing this issue. The wheels have the tpms on them so i don't know.

The message I am getting as an error is: Tire Pressure Monitor Inoperative.

I click ok and it clears, but the yellow tire symbol stays in the upper right corner next to the speedometer in the instrument cluster. I can then click over to Service in the cluster and then click ok and it brings up three options: Messages (which in this case shows that there is one, at times, but then sometimes it shows zero messages) under that it says Tire Pressure and under that it says some other option...anyways, when i go down to tire pressure and click on it, it says use current pressure or i can hit the down arrow and it says reactivate or recalibrate tire pressures. I click ok on that and then nothing really happens...the yellow tire pressure symbol remains and i can't ever see a car with the numbers next to each tire. That never shows up. So that's where i'm at now...

I'll post tomorrow when i finally talk to them. I really hope this is a quick and permanent fix.

wish these 100000 cars came with warranties and dealerships where people could take their cars in case of problems. c'mon man take the car to the dealership and get it over it, these cars r great and ur problem is almost nothing.
BTW the 7 spoke 18' were options on the 2007 cars, strange how it ended up on yours...
Old 04-20-2008, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Thanks for the sarcasm Rajwany...yes, i know i should take it in...which i will come next week, but i wanted to know if there might be way that i could get rid of the symbol on my own...secondly, the 7 split spoke 18" may have been an option in 2007, but it was also an option in 2008 according to the 2008 S Class brochure...as well as these links, along with many others:

http://www.forbesautos.com/options/2..._benz/s_class/

http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2008...s_options.html
Old 04-20-2008, 10:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 White/brown Nappa S550, '13 S550 4 matic, 11 S550 sold, '10 S550 Sports BLACK 08 S550 P3 sport
Thanks for the sarcasm Rajwany...yes, i know i should take it in...which i will come next week, but i wanted to know if there might be way that i could get rid of the symbol on my own...secondly, the 7 split spoke 18" may have been an option in 2007, but it was also an option in 2008 according to the 2008 S Class brochure...as well as these links, along with many others:

http://www.forbesautos.com/options/2..._benz/s_class/

http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2008...s_options.html
glad u have a sense of humor. now kick the dealerships *** and the stuff done. good luck
Old 04-20-2008, 11:07 PM

S550
Trust me...i've got a sense of humor, but this crap is just really pissing me off...as im sure you can tell...it'll be funny when its fixed...

Ill be *****ing them out come monday...
Old 04-21-2008, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Diesel Benz, thanks for posting that information. The dealership changed the tires. I'm just wondering if there is something that they needed to do after changing the tires that they forgot to do which is causing this issue. The wheels have the tpms on them so i don't know.
I was actually referring to nitromilt's experience, he also had wheels changed and if he did that at home, he would be sure there was no need to reset the TPMS system to make it recognise new sensors (reset would be important for the correct pressure reference only).

I understand this was happening because the dealer was in a rush with the car delivery and changed the wheels very late when the shop was closing. Not a good excuse but a reasonable one. We all are expecting the issue being resolved by the dealer once he is made aware of the issue. Would be nice to know what it was after all.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:12 PM

S550
OK, so this is the situation...

I called the dealership this morning and firstly they are telling me that service must have forgotten to reset the sensors (like all of you guys are saying)...i hope this makes sense...do you guys buy this explanation?

Secondly, apparently the 18" 7 split spoke wheels that were on the car were the correct wheels ordered (not by me, though)...i guess when my options and specs were put into the computer they never wiped the optional wheels that were apparently already assigned for the S Class that was alloted for that dealership. In other words, a production date was already assigned for an S class that was coming to that dealership with certain pre-assigned specs and options. When these specs and options were changed for me, apparently the 18" 7 split spoke was left inadvertantly and thus the car came with those wheels from germany.

Im getting this situation worked out. But apparently this is why it happened.

I'll update once all this crap is worked out and TPMS error is finally history...hopefully it will be soon...
Old 04-21-2008, 01:18 PM

'08 S550 4MATIC SPORT,DODGE VIPER GTS,ML350 BLK/BLK
Thumbs up tpms

hang in there........just about fixed.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'09 S63 AMG
I just went through changing my wheels last weekend..... and the TPMS is a big part of that. Althought mine involved non-MB wheels, the techs still had to read instructions and know what they were doing when installing the TPMS sensors from my AMG wheels into the Brabus ones. They then had to re-program the computer to "learn" the new wheels (if that makes sense) even though they were the same sensors from my old wheels.

So, yes, if the MB techs did not follow correct procedures and MAKE SURE the TPMS sensors registered correctly, then there could be an issue with the proper functioning of the system.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by AustinGuy
I just went through changing my wheels last weekend..... and the TPMS is a big part of that. Althought mine involved non-MB wheels, the techs still had to read instructions and know what they were doing when installing the TPMS sensors from my AMG wheels into the Brabus ones. They then had to re-program the computer to "learn" the new wheels (if that makes sense) even though they were the same sensors from my old wheels.

So, yes, if the MB techs did not follow correct procedures and MAKE SURE the TPMS sensors registered correctly, then there could be an issue with the proper functioning of the system.
Did the techs have SDS (was it at an MB workshop)? When sensors are changed or sensor positions are changed, the new set-up can be coded with star diagnosis. This is quick and makes everything functional immediately. The prerequisite is that the techs have the identity code for each sensor (and know which one is at which wheel).

The other option is to reset the system and let the car learn sensor positions. This should mostly happen within three minutes if the car is driven at a speed above 25 km/h. The car first detects which four sensors are installed. Next it would detect the side assignment for the front wheels. This is based on detecting the wheels spin difference at turns, detecting which sensor appeared to be on the wheel that travelled less/more. The most difficult one is to detect the rear wheel sensors side assignment. This should be successful after a longer journey at driving speeds of 35 to 80 km/h and driving through multiple turns.

Note that the Siemens system has individual antennas at the front plus on central antenna. The Beru system had two antennas for rear wheels too.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:45 PM

S550
Thanks Nitromilt...im trying...

Thanks Austin, that makes me feel better...im just surprised that the techs would overlook something which seems like a pretty important issue when replacing wheels...im surprised they weren't through enough because im sure they do this type of thing pretty frequently...well, at least its sounds like a quick and minor fix...can't wait to be done and over with these issues so i can just enjoy the car...

thanks everyone for you input and help...i really appreciate it...obviously, ill update this issue once its fully resolved...thanks again.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:00 PM

S550 / S430 / E320
OK, so this is the situation...

I called the dealership this morning and firstly they are telling me that service must have forgotten to reset the sensors (like all of you guys are saying)...i hope this makes sense...do you guys buy this explanation?

Secondly, apparently the 18" 7 split spoke wheels that were on the car were the correct wheels ordered (not by me, though)...i guess when my options and specs were put into the computer they never wiped the optional wheels that were apparently already assigned for the S Class that was alloted for that dealership. In other words, a production date was already assigned for an S class that was coming to that dealership with certain pre-assigned specs and options. When these specs and options were changed for me, apparently the 18" 7 split spoke was left inadvertantly and thus the car came with those wheels from germany.

Im getting this situation worked out. But apparently this is why it happened.

I'll update once all this crap is worked out and TPMS error is finally history...hopefully it will be soon...
The 23R wheel is a $1200 option (in Europe) that was offered at no-cost in the US as a sales promotion for model year 2008. It was not widely advertised and that is why you didn't know about it. I knew about them and specifically ordered them on mine. I like the look a lot better than the standard nine spoke wheel. Especially on a black car. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Clearly, you were expecting to see something other than what you saw when your car arrived. I just hope you didn't dislike them because you misunderstood the situation. I think you made a mistake.

By the way... I also had a 2004 so I understand your concern. My 2008 has been flawless since I took delivery. Sorry to hear about your TPMS problem. Hopefully it will be your first and last problem. I think they got it right this time.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by NJS430
The 23R wheel is a $1200 option (in Europe) that was offered at no-cost in the US as a sales promotion for model year 2008. It was not widely advertised and that is why you didn't know about it. I knew about them and specifically ordered them on mine. I like the look a lot better than the standard nine spoke wheel. Especially on a black car. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Clearly, you were expecting to see something other than what you saw when your car arrived. I just hope you didn't dislike them because you misunderstood the situation. I think you made a mistake.

By the way... I also had a 2004 so I understand your concern. My 2008 has been flawless since I took delivery. Sorry to hear about your TPMS problem. Hopefully it will be your first and last problem. I think they got it right this time.
I haven't seen these split 7-spoke (I've only seen the split 9) but, IMHO, anything is better than the standard S550 nine spoke. Well, except maybe for the 5 spoke wheel where the spokes get fatter toward the outside of the rim.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:23 PM

S550 / S430 / E320
Originally Posted by AsianML
I haven't seen these split 7-spoke (I've only seen the split 9) but, IMHO, anything is better than the standard S550 nine spoke. Well, except maybe for the 5 spoke wheel where the spokes get fatter toward the outside of the rim.
These are the split 7-Spoke wheels -

Old 04-21-2008, 06:51 PM

They look Great! Much better than stock!
Old 04-21-2008, 07:57 PM

S550 / S430 / E320
^^Yeah, that's exactly what i thought...so when i went to pick it up on friday and saw 18" 7 split spoke wheels on the car (which, in my opinion were absolutely hideous...they looked like large c class wheels) i was floored...i told my sales guy immediately and he was confused as to what to do...i don't have pictures because I had them swap the wheels with another new s class on the lot so now that car has the weird wheels...ill probably have to be heading back to the dealership early next week so ill take a picture of those other wheels while im there just so you guys can see them...i looked everywhere for pictures of those wheels online thinking someone else may have them, but i came up empty...one thing that was interesting is that in the new brochure for the 2008 s class...in the back of that catalog it does mention the 18" 7 split spoke wheels as a NO COST option (not the $1200 they were saying it was)...so im assuming for some odd reason, they put those on the car instead...

I now have the wheels that are in that picture you posted above, which I like much better...im just so irritated by the tpms, i can't even handle it.

Doesn't seem there was really anything wrong with your car - just a procedure that wasn't done to finish the job of changing the wheels. The dealer didn't swap the wheels on your car. He may have made a mistake in the procedure to change them in part because of your panic. You need to take a deep breath and realize that there is nothing seriously wrong here. I think once you calm down you will realize that this is the best S class ever made - it is unlikely you will have a lot of problems with it.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63

Hmm, I don't like them. The design makes it look lke 17" rather than 18". Maybe BlackMamba should have them switch for the multispoke or the Launch Edition wheels.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:06 PM

'09 S63 AMG

These look A LOT better than the stock 9 spoke - more character and more going on than the 9 spoke which are very plain looking. Not even close in my opinion.....

Of course this is completly a matter of opinions..... and all that matters is what BlackMamba thinks about HIS rims...

Last edited by AustinGuy; 04-22-2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:26 PM

S550
I'll admit, on your car they look nice NJS430...but i think black helps a lot...I have it in andorite grey and to me the 9 spoke look more classy...of course, its totally a matter of opinion but i truly believe car color has a lot do to with how various aftermarket type of things look...in this case, i don't know what it is but like AsianML said, i honestly didn't think they were 18's when i saw my car on friday...thats why i initially was pissed...i think the 9 spoke definitely look like 18's...but again its a matter of opinion and your's look nice on your car...i still feel that the 9 spoke look best on my car in the color i have...and thanks for the pep talk...i kind of need it...you're right though, NJS430...i seriously do need to take a deep breath...it's, unfortunately, all ive been able to think about for the last three days and it sucks...i mean, i absolutely hate this feeling...but ill have it worked out by the middle to end of this week and then ill be able to breath a lot better...i just have issues with stuff like this...but i know its minor in the grand scheme of things...im sure this s class is the best ever...thats why i opted for it...i know things will be fine soon...thanks guys
Old 04-21-2008, 09:28 PM

S550
BTW, AsianML, what are the multispoke and lauch edition wheels...do you have any pictures?
Old 04-22-2008, 07:01 AM

I'll admit, on your car they look nice NJS430...but i think black helps a lot...I have it in andorite grey and to me the 9 spoke look more classy...of course, its totally a matter of opinion but i truly believe car color has a lot do to with how various aftermarket type of things look...in this case, i don't know what it is but like AsianML said, i honestly didn't think they were 18's when i saw my car on friday...thats why i initially was pissed...i think the 9 spoke definitely look like 18's...but again its a matter of opinion and your's look nice on your car...i still feel that the 9 spoke look best on my car in the color i have...and thanks for the pep talk...i kind of need it...you're right though, NJS430...i seriously do need to take a deep breath...it's, unfortunately, all ive been able to think about for the last three days and it sucks...i mean, i absolutely hate this feeling...but ill have it worked out by the middle to end of this week and then ill be able to breath a lot better...i just have issues with stuff like this...but i know its minor in the grand scheme of things...im sure this s class is the best ever...thats why i opted for it...i know things will be fine soon...thanks guys
Not to pour salt in the wound, WHY did'nt they take care of the TPMS first thing yesterday morning? You just dropped 100k on a car that they ordered the wrong wheels and now fu**ed up the TPMS? Does'nt seem like good service.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
BTW, AsianML, what are the multispoke and lauch edition wheels...do you have any pictures?
Multispoke:

Launch edition:

They probably, definitely cost more than the standard 9-spoke.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:21 AM

'09 S63 AMG
Ouch!

Those multi spokes look God aweful! My neighbor drives an S600 (on which these are stock) and every time I see the car I think why would MB want to have rims that look like Hyundai/Toyota rims?

Just my opinion
Old 04-22-2008, 11:36 AM

S550 / S430 / E320
Nothing wrong with the nine spoke wheels. In my mind they look better than most of the optional wheels. There are so many little features on this car that will impress you like the "Hill Holder", Cornering Lights, and the "Vault Tumbler" command controller. Don't let the mix-up ruin your experience.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:41 AM

S550 / S430 / E320
Nothing wrong with the nine spoke wheels. In my mind they look better than most of the optional wheels. There are so many little features on this car that will impress you like the "Hill Holder", Cornering Lights, and the "Vault Tumbler" command controller. Don't let the "mix-up" ruin your experience.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:45 PM

S550
Gellie, you're right...the service is terrible...to top it off, they actually thought they "accomodated" me by swapping the wheels the day I picked up the car. The reason they didn't fix the tpms yesterday is because I haven't taken the car in yet, because i haven't had time to do it. I'm planning on doing it thursday, but maybe tomorrow. But trust me, once this whole fiasco is over, I'll be writing a pretty long letter about my experience to MBUSA and I can't wait to get the letter asking about my dealer experience. It ain't gonna be pretty...

AsianML, thanks for posting the pictures...i actually really like the Launch wheel, but the multispoke aren't too hot...I'd take those Launch Wheels any day...

Austin, i agree that the multispoke are terrible.

NJS430, yeah, i agree the 9 spoke are better than a lot of the wheels that mb puts standard on their s class...i know that the 2004 s 500 standard wheel wasn't something i liked at all...but these 9 spoke aren't that bad...im not against the 7 split spoke, but i just think on my car for some reason it didn't look that great...i seriously can't wait to experience all the advancements in the car...im just not driving it much at this moment until this crap is fixed...its very depressing to turn the car on and the first thing that comes on is the beeping noise telling me the tpms is non-active...YUCK!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Help with my New S550 4Matic...