MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   S-Class (W221) (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w221-74/)
-   -   sport/comfort mode button (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w221/243738-sport-comfort-mode-button.html)

hotwiredbenz 05-11-2008 11:27 PM

sport/comfort mode button

There's a button on my center console that says "C/S". From my understanding this changes the suspension and transmission configuration between a "comfort" and "sport" mode. Switching back and forth while driving, I've noticed a pretty dramatic difference in acceleration and suspension dampening. My car is a 4matic and I'm wondering, is this button only on the AWD cars? Does sport mode change the ride height at all?

MB Fanatic 05-12-2008 12:09 AM

All recent MBZ's have them. Comfort starts the car in 2nd gear forward and 2nd gear reverse, also the suspension is more comfy and smooth. Sport starts the car in 1st forward and 1st reverse, and the ride is firm.

Diesel Benz 05-12-2008 06:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
To be accurate, not all have the C/S button, Euro cars have a C/S/M button. :)

AsianML 05-12-2008 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz (Post 2818233)

Quit stabbing the U.S. members in the heart! :rolf:

hotwiredbenz 05-12-2008 10:45 AM

does sport mode do anything to ride height and gas mileage?

whoover 05-12-2008 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by hotwiredbenz (Post 2818442)
does sport mode do anything to ride height and gas mileage?

It doesn't affect height, but it does alter the suspension calibration. Both Airmatic and ABC will become firmer in S than C.

In addition to starting in second, C causes earlier upshifts. This will increase mileage.

whoover 05-12-2008 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz (Post 2818233)

I wonder why US cars don't have the M mode. US AMG models do, so it can't be because of a regulation.

aschb 05-12-2008 03:50 PM

That's correct for European Cars (C,S,M).

But I never have a need to use the M(anual) function. For best performance just click the "S" and the car is on fire!

hotwiredbenz 05-12-2008 04:11 PM

I discovered that my car in fact does lower itself about a half inch in sport mode... even got out the measuring tape just to make sure! :)

WSH 05-12-2008 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by aschb (Post 2819114)

But I never have a need to use the M(anual) function. For best performance just click the "S" and the car is on fire!

Indeed:y

Almost never drive my CL in anything but S mode (unless wet)...have never found myself faster/smoother/safer in M mode, even in spirited driving...

And my expce w/SL63 030 in mtn twisties is similar....found self fastest/smoothest/safest in S+ mode, not M mode...

Other drivers who are far more competent than me seem to concur w/my sense of S vs M mode in any of latest AMGs on public roads...

My guess is that in an era of ever-faster/smarter/more interlinked drivetrain&chassis computer networks, M mode is essentially a placebo function for most drivers, certainly on any public roads....:)

AustinGuy 05-12-2008 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by hotwiredbenz (Post 2819161)
I discovered that my car in fact does lower itself about a half inch in sport mode... even got out the measuring tape just to make sure! :)

EXCELLENT!!

Probably the best news I've seen all day :D:y

That should throw some water on this fiery dialog of lowering my car :smash:

So, does it keep the car lowered even when the ignition is off or only when the car is mobile? If it's the latter, then my enthusiasm will be tempered a bit ...again.

cjf_moraga 05-12-2008 06:22 PM

To get really picky... the manual says that for us common S550/600 types, when "Sport" is selected the car is in "Standard" driving mode... as opposed to C for Comfort mode with its different gear changes... but for the AMG's, "Sport" equals "sporty" driving mode... I guess with all that additional lowering and ABC/suspension stiffening going on etc...

Semantics I know! I always find it a little incongruous to call a huge 5000 lb sedan "sporty" with all the attached connotations... though powerful and fast, absolutely...

Chris

WSH 05-12-2008 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by cjf_moraga (Post 2819397)
To get really picky... the manual says that for us common S550/600 types, when "Sport" is selected the car is in "Standard" driving mode... as opposed to C for Comfort mode with its different gear changes... but for the AMG's, "Sport" equals "sporty" driving mode... I guess with all that additional lowering and ABC/suspension stiffening going on etc...

Semantics I know! I always find it a little incongruous to call a huge 5000 lb sedan "sporty" with all the attached connotations... though powerful and fast, absolutely...

Chris

Having driven/owned enough underwhelming 3200-4000lb F/P's that claim to be "sporty", I tend to scoff at those who try to define what is a "sports" vs "GT" vs "luxury" car:eek::nix:....esp b/c I always risk-adjust perf claims for car's safety/daily-useability parameters...any monkey engineer can maximize perf if doesn't have to optimize vs real-world safety/daily-useability....

As a risk/reward-oriented guy, I laugh at guys who claim various pseudo-precise/quantitative track times for their alleged sports cars....most guys I know w/a 3-digit IQ who can afford any car on planet seem to be fairly impressed w/real-world perf of latest/greatest AMGs (many also own latest/greatest F's, but don't seem to drive them often, even on wkends:nix:)....and I enjoyed my humble '07 CL600 far more in mtn twisties than the rather lame '07 599/997TT I also drove many times through the same routes....:eek::nix:

Diesel Benz 05-13-2008 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by aschb (Post 2819114)

I hardly use the M, but I do switch between S and C where the existence of the M-mode becomes more of a nuisance (I hope this makes US owners feel better :)).

According to the manual and workshop info, the Airmatic suspension on a W221 does not lower when stationary and S selected. The W211 Euro cars do that but somewhere I found that US W211 with Airmatic would not do that, only at higher speed (which is what the W221 would do too).

ABC is probably different, don't know any details about that.

hotwiredbenz 05-13-2008 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz (Post 2820275)
I hardly use the M, but I do switch between S and C where the existence of the M-mode becomes more of a nuisance (I hope this makes US owners feel better :)).

According to the manual and workshop info, the Airmatic suspension on a W221 does not lower when stationary and S selected. The W211 Euro cars do that but somewhere I found that US W211 with Airmatic would not do that, only at higher speed (which is what the W221 would do too).

ABC is probably different, don't know any details about that.

hmm I dont have ABC... maybe it's just the 4matics that lower in S mode? Its possible that the awd cars sit higher in C mode and when switched to S, they come down to the same height as rwd cars.

Diesel Benz 05-13-2008 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by hotwiredbenz (Post 2820364)
hmm I dont have ABC... maybe it's just the 4matics that lower in S mode? Its possible that the awd cars sit higher in C mode and when switched to S, they come down to the same height as rwd cars.

I do not know if 4-Matic would be different. Never know about the market area specific issues neither, it could be the opposite for the W221 from that of W211. Workshop documentation may not always be accurate either.

jochenthomas 05-15-2008 03:04 AM

That would be a good news, but I tested the C/S/M button on bumpy streets (cobbled street) or at 240 km/h on different motorways but did not see any noticeable effect.
And as far as I remember I am not aware of any suspension change of my W221 after switching between C or S while stationary.

Is there a typical / easy method to check it out?

Diesel Benz 05-15-2008 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by jochenthomas (Post 2824503)
That would be a good news, but I tested the C/S/M button on bumpy streets (cobbled street) or at 240 km/h on different motorways but did not see any noticeable effect.
And as far as I remember I am not aware of any suspension change of my W221 after switching between C or S while stationary.

Is there a typical / easy method to check it out?

The suspension stiffness change should be easy to feel between C and S (or M) almost on any road but at 240 km/h the suspension in any case has adapted to be stiffer and then the button setting should not make any difference.

LETO 05-15-2008 08:49 AM

I always hit the C mode as soon as I hit New Jersey. It eats away the bumps nicely.

18hzhang 04-27-2018 08:14 AM

COMF and SPORT

Hey, I have a similar question. What's the difference between the C-S switch and the SPORT - COMF switch on my E400 4matic?
THX

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...73788988fb.jpg

why's the difference between the C-S switch and the SPORT -COMF switch??

Bobitza 04-29-2018 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by 18hzhang (Post 7440744)
Hey, I have a similar question. What's the difference between the C-S switch and the SPORT - COMF switch on my E400 4matic?
THX

Select the year and E-Class here:
https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servi...owners_manuals

I'm pretty sure that's covered in the RTFM. It looks like SPORT-COMF has a suspension icon, so maybe that's what it does ... and the C-S only controls the gears changing behaviour.

lionsfan54 04-30-2018 11:03 AM

S600 has a 2 speed reverse too??

Vasile1988 09-21-2021 06:07 PM

Hi

I have Mercedes-Benz S Class 2012 and I have some problems with my sports mode is always on and if I want to change in comfort is not working can any one help me please

Lotus GT 09-24-2021 11:23 AM

Since this thread has been resurrected: My 2006 S350 has the C/S/M button but not the extra button on the dashboard to choose "sport" suspension damping that later cars seem to have. Does fitment of this extra button mean that gearbox behaviour is controlled by the C/S/M button and suspension damping by this extra button allowing you to choose between three gearbox and two suspension settings independently, or does the extra button introduce a third damper setting? Do all later cars have this extra button or was it an option when the car was new?

Thanks

Pete

MikeKerr7 09-24-2021 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Vasile1988 (Post 8422481)
I have Mercedes-Benz S Class 2012 and I have some problems with my sports mode is always on and if I want to change in comfort is not working can any one help me please

Vasile,

I have a newly acquired 2012 that also only allows "S" mode. Going to check into it and will post on this thread what I find.