S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Real-time traffic feed and route calculation ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 S63 Sedan and 2012 E350 Cabriolet
Real-time traffic feed and route calculation ...

One question. I noticed that my navigation system gives information on traffic conditions. However, I am not sure if it calculates the best route based on those real-time traffic feeds. Is this how the navigation works?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 05-21-2008, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 249 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by ahmadkshuja
One question. I noticed that my navigation system gives information on traffic conditions. However, I am not sure if it calculates the best route based on those real-time traffic feeds. Is this how the navigation works?

Thanks in advance!!
If it is the same as with the Euro Navi, it does if you select "dynamic route".
Old 05-21-2008, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
If it is the same as with the Euro Navi, it does if you select "dynamic route".
Where do you select the "dynamic route"?

Thanks!!
Old 05-21-2008, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by ahmadkshuja
Where do you select the "dynamic route"?

Thanks!!
Hmmm. Interesting. I don't recall ever seeing that option and I have a USA model.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 249 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Again, this could be different on US cars but this is how the options appear on a Euro car:

Selecting the route type
  • Fastest route: COMAND calculates a route with the shortest possible (minimised) journey time.
  • Dynamic route: same route type as Fastest route. However, COMAND also takes into consideration any RDS-TMC traffic announcements
    (RDS-TMC and Dynamic route are not available in all countries.)
    that are received for route guidance. The navigation system is thus able to guide you around a traffic jam, for example. If a quicker route is determined due to a received RDS-TMC traffic announcement, the navigation system changes the route. It will bypass blockages if possible.
  • Short route: COMAND calculates a route with the shortest possible (minimised) distance regarding distance and driving time.
Select Navi Navi Mode.
The mode list appears. A filled square indicates the current setting.
To make a setting: select Fastest route or Dynamic route or Short route.
To exit a menu: slide .
Old 05-22-2008, 07:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 E 350, 2012 GLK 350, 2012 C300 4matic
I do not believe that the US cars have dynamic mode. Also realize (at least in NYC) for the most part it wouldn't help - the traffic is not that current - they are relying on the same (lousy) info that the radio stations get. Obviosuly if there is a major closure that's different - but for minute to minute traffic updates - not yet AFASK
Old 05-22-2008, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Again, this could be different on US cars but this is how the options appear on a Euro car:

Selecting the route type
  • Fastest route: COMAND calculates a route with the shortest possible (minimised) journey time.
  • Dynamic route: same route type as Fastest route. However, COMAND also takes into consideration any RDS-TMC traffic announcements
    (RDS-TMC and Dynamic route are not available in all countries.)
    that are received for route guidance. The navigation system is thus able to guide you around a traffic jam, for example. If a quicker route is determined due to a received RDS-TMC traffic announcement, the navigation system changes the route. It will bypass blockages if possible.
  • Short route: COMAND calculates a route with the shortest possible (minimised) distance regarding distance and driving time.
Select Navi Navi Mode.
The mode list appears. A filled square indicates the current setting.
To make a setting: select Fastest route or Dynamic route or Short route.
To exit a menu: slide .
Thanks a lot!!

Unfortunately, it sounds like this feature is not yet available in the US. So for us, it just provides traffic feeds without much routing benefits.

Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:58 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Originally Posted by Eddie Knopp
I do not believe that the US cars have dynamic mode. Also realize (at least in NYC) for the most part it wouldn't help - the traffic is not that current - they are relying on the same (lousy) info that the radio stations get. Obviosuly if there is a major closure that's different - but for minute to minute traffic updates - not yet AFASK
My guess is that RTT (no matter how accurate) is/would be one of least-used features in new S/CLs, given most of buyer base....

Those who commute via new S/CL tend to be an upscale crowd....even in major mkts w/allegedly congested traffic, many such guys live only 10mins from their office (e.g., intra-Greenwich/intra-BH commutes) and/or commute in off-hrs anyway...

Great ex.: recently asked a colleague who commutes daily via '08 S600 from Greenwich to Midtown Manhattan (some 35mis) if he ever used his RTT....he simply laughed at the absurdity of my question...

He has an easy ?45min drive into office, arriving by 5:45AM; during AM commute, he's busy on BT catching up w/his London colleagues....and he leaves office about 6:30PM; and, during his some 75min drive home, he's busy on BT returning calls to his SF/BH colleagues....he observes that he has one of world's most elegant, secure and productive commutes.....(let's not forget that vast majority of rather affluent people in NYC region have gruesomely painful, sweaty, smelly, dangerous daily commutes via train/cab/TownCar (often w/an inept driver))....
Old 05-22-2008, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Yeah, Eddie is right.
A conversation piece, as much as a Night Vision
But I don't understand why people are not using TeleAid.
At the begining I was hesitant, broke the barier and use it a lot.
They know exactly where you are, provide most up to date traffic info. So far so good, nice ENGLISH speaking crowd .
Sometimes better than my secretary (I'm talking making reservations here ) . Try it next time.
Mark.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:35 AM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLS450, 2021 Porsche 911 Cab
I noticed that sometimes my car does not receive traffic updates in nyc area. Any ideas? When I select traffic it says "No Messages".
Old 05-23-2008, 07:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 E 350, 2012 GLK 350, 2012 C300 4matic
Originally Posted by deniska
I noticed that sometimes my car does not receive traffic updates in nyc area. Any ideas? When I select traffic it says "No Messages".
From what I've found - with 1 exception when the entrie system was down - it updates eventually.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:23 AM

2015 S550
I have noticed this too. I am in the Dallas area and sometimes it says there is no traffic data available but eventually I start seeing the traffic on the map. I usually need the traffic information at the beginning of my trip and by the time it updates it is too late. I have gone back to checking traffic using google maps on my Iphone. Even when they are both working I find the google maps traffic data more timely.