S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

7-Series V12 TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
The most egregious recent example being the mountains of star struck fluff written about the E60 M5 despite its woeful (sub 200 mile) range, thirst, miserable torque, awkward SMG, wildly over complex controls, cheap plastic interior... Oh yes its great on the track and the "twisties".. which is hardly where 99% of us spend most of our time behind the wheel...
Chris, as an owner I can say that more than 300miles is the range on the tank. Admittedly, that sinks during city driving and the tank is indeed too small. When one specs the Full Leather option, the interior ceases to be "plasticy," but of course is not as luxurious as a 600-series S/CL class. SMGIII is not for all, but keen drivers appreciate the heightened control over a torque converter. The TQ is low compared to the tree-stump pulling offerings from AMG but is more than sufficient and the power at the top end more than makes up for it.

I understand this is an MB board but to suggest that magazines like Autocar and Evo are off the mark in proclaiming the M5 the class leader seems far fetched. The US magazines do tend to exhibit a little bias towards BMW, but this is not true in the UK publications. As regards claims the 5000lb W216 CL63 has better steering feel, brake feel and high speed stability, well all I can say is that I respectfully disagree and a functional rear diffuser vs one there for purely aesthetic reasons supports this.

We are lucky to have choices and, as a keen driver I'll take my sedan's from Motorsport, but respect the competition from AMG as different rather than denigrate it as inferior.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alpine White BMW E90 3er
Originally Posted by ahmadkshuja
Well well ... I said that before and I will say it again ... it is your personal preference. Do what makes you happy

great. good to know. anyways, as far as a V12 twin turbo on a 7 series? mmm. unlikely. would be a sad day for the fuel pump if that became a reality.

boys, dont count on this one. i claim

its not going to happen.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Chris, as an owner I can say that more than 300miles is the range on the tank. Admittedly, that sinks during city driving and the tank is indeed too small. When one specs the Full Leather option, the interior ceases to be "plasticy," but of course is not as luxurious as a 600-series S/CL class. SMGIII is not for all, but keen drivers appreciate the heightened control over a torque converter. The TQ is low compared to the tree-stump pulling offerings from AMG but is more than sufficient and the power at the top end more than makes up for it.... We are lucky to have choices and, as a keen driver I'll take my sedan's from Motorsport, but respect the competition from AMG as different rather than denigrate it as inferior.
Hi Carl,

Certainly if you are getting 300 mpg then I differ to your real world experience.. My comment was mainly based on my evaluation of the car when moving on from my E55 and around 200 miles to the tank seemed the benchmark for me (and others at the time)... Lead feet in P5 perhaps?

I hold to my comments on too many non-critical reviews of the current M5 though... BMW did such a good job with the previous generation M5 that I think they set a level of expectation, a palpable sheer desire for it to be absolutely perfect that all too many reviewers ended up telling people what they wanted to hear... not what they did not... or at least were far less critical than they should have been... journalists are as prone to following the herd as anyone else... which is why the best reviews are the real-life experiences of those of us on forums like this! (Salted with a healthy dose of critical judgement and skepticism)

Frankly my opinion of most automotive journalists is that they are entertainers... not reviewers...

Chris
Old 06-06-2008, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Originally Posted by Kiemyster
So what are you trying to say? cant someone appriciate both brands? The S-class is good. ill say that. and i can say that because my father used to have one. key word? used to. he had it for a year and a half. his close friend bought a 7er the same time he got his s class.

now, i used to call him "skipper" and everyone called the s550 either the titanic or the SS Mino. good laughs. now, ive driven both, the S550 and the 750. the 7er retained that luxurious feel but it still was much more responsive than the S.

both lovely cars, but the S has no originallity. it copies its big brother, the maybach. i always said: its the poor mans maybach. it contains little original design and substance. i didnt like the interior of the S either. it was nice, but the 7 was much more sleek. not to mention the backseat was sooo much more comfortable. i didnt enjoy 2+ hour trips in the S while in the back, my *** would kill me, and my back would ache. sure, the S can sit 5 comfortable, whereas the 7 was made for 4 really because of the little bulge in the mid section. but the thing about it was i felt like i was in a lazy boy in the backseat of the 7er.

at the end of the day, the reality of it is that a mercedes is the car that you are driven in (?), but a bmw is a car you drive. end of story. you stupid fanboys really have no idea what the hell your talking about, and honestly? your missing out. but its your choice to be ignorant. at the end of the day, they are both wonderfull cars, and they serve their different purposes. albeit, I beleive BMW's are a much better all-rounder.
Let me think... where should I start,
You are all over the thread (consistency is Not your virtue...)
Let me begin.

We are all CIVIL here (except few). Why such a tasteless word - stupid fanboys? Lack of argument maybe?
I went briefly to one of BMW forums. Word "stupid" is very common there, should I say, like a fly in a outhouse
...wonder why...IQ issue???
We are all here saying/writing: "whatever makes you happy, makes me happy". Did you miss that? You might. It is subtle.

Your argument, "My father this, my Father that", is almost the same argument as "My Father had an Elephant in a bottle, but I can't show you because I left it home". Please ...
any better "my friend of a friend knew a friend..." argument?
Maybach - are you for real? That's based on 220. You should know that. Or maybe not. Poor's man ... Hmmmm. What's more MB (top) or BMW (top).
I'm catching myself here. Why do I have to to lower my standards (MB) to yours (BMW). And this is only a lazy riposte to your...originality comparo.

Another one, "MB is the car to be driven in". With pleasure, mind you. Except CL of course.
Let me ask you (and be honest with me ). Have you (you - not your friend of a friend) driven any CL lately?.

...yeah, "it's our choice to be ignorant",
I know.
And we all live in a (ignorance) bliss. And we LOVE IT.
Any thoughtful responses here?
Don't run to your Father now, please...
Mark.

BTW
Let me ask you, (not out of disrespect), how old are you.
Be honest here.
Before you ask - I'm 49.
The reason is - I WAS a BMW fan (Long time ago)

Last edited by Red Marko; 06-06-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Hi Carl,

Certainly if you are getting 300 mpg then I differ to your real world experience.. My comment was mainly based on my evaluation of the car when moving on from my E55 and around 200 miles to the tank seemed the benchmark for me (and others at the time)... Lead feet in P5 perhaps?

I hold to my comments on too many non-critical reviews of the current M5 though... BMW did such a good job with the previous generation M5 that I think they set a level of expectation, a palpable sheer desire for it to be absolutely perfect that all too many reviewers ended up telling people what they wanted to hear... not what they did not... or at least were far less critical than they should have been... journalists are as prone to following the herd as anyone else... which is why the best reviews are the real-life experiences of those of us on forums like this! (Salted with a healthy dose of critical judgement and skepticism)

Frankly my opinion of most automotive journalists is that they are entertainers... not reviewers...

Chris
Your description of magazine writers as entertainers not reviewers is sadly too often true. I'm not sure if you owned the E60 M5 but 200miles or so is the norm until the engine breaks in past 5,000miles (I've somehow done 9,900miles in the last 5 months, but that's not really relevant). I still drive with the aforementioned lead in my right foot and S5/S6 is the only mode to drive the car.

As for the E39 M5, well that car was an instant classic. However, that car always had suspect brakes and never shocked anyone in the staights- it was more just a beautiful and beautifully balanced car. The E60 is arguably not as beautiful, but it really did make its mark from a performance standpoint more then the E39 ever did. The vast majority of E60 M5 owners are very attached to their vehicle.

Some E39ers will criticize the E60, but one has to take that with (sorry for the cliche) a large pinch of salt. Many, but not all, are saying so for all the wrong reasons. What I will say is the S85 engine is lumpy when cold and as slow as a Geo from the lights. However, spend time getting to know it and it is a true masterpiece all the way to it's 8,250 redline. However, even then it is not for everyone. To be honest I like the foibles of this car (oil drinking engine, sometimes confused clutch) as I don't like seeing too many others on the road. One thing I do think is unarguable and that is that no 4-door has currently been able to rival the E60 M5 for all round dynamic pace. The Quattroporte handles the closest, but with 394bhp cannot mount a serious challenge. Of course, for others there are more important things than this and I fully get it. Afterall, I'm fully aware that no near-4000lb sedan can handle as good as a 997 so some say, 'why bother?' I guess owners on this site like Cylinder Head, Vic55 and myself answer that through our writing of six-figure checks.

I may get flamed for this but speaking as someone in my late 20s, I believe that this is the perfect car for me all the way through 40 (changing for the newer model every few years of course). When I reach that age then the more relaxed and luxurious drive of an S/CL600 will likely come calling. They are staggering vehicles and handle and accelerate far better than 99 percent of those on the road will ever understand.

Markopolo- Yes, BMW as a brand attracts too many knuckleheads. Just look at the proliferation of cap-wearing louts that drive around with 20"s on their M3s. However, M5Board.com is a relative safe-haven. The great aspect of that board is that people earn credibility through the almost mandatory posting of pictures there. This is most certainly not aimed at you or CJFMaroga but certain members (and I do not just mean the BMW supporters) on this site seem to be talking out of somewhere other than their mouth and may well not drive what they claim to.

Last edited by Carl Lassiter; 06-07-2008 at 02:57 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-06-2008, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
both lovely cars, but the S has no originallity. it copies its big brother, the maybach. i always said: its the poor mans maybach. it contains little original design and substance. i didnt like the interior of the S either. it was nice, but the 7 was much more sleek. not to mention the backseat was sooo much more comfortable. i didnt enjoy 2+ hour trips in the S while in the back, my *** would kill me, and my back would ache. sure, the S can sit 5 comfortable, whereas the 7 was made for 4 really because of the little bulge in the mid section. but the thing about it was i felt like i was in a lazy boy in the backseat of the 7er.

at the end of the day, the reality of it is that a mercedes is the car that you are driven in (?), but a bmw is a car you drive. end of story. you stupid fanboys really have no idea what the hell your talking about, and honestly? your missing out. but its your choice to be ignorant. at the end of the day, they are both wonderfull cars, and they serve their different purposes. albeit, I beleive BMW's are a much better all-rounder.
Your comments that the S-Class copies the Maybach are completely incorrect. The new Maybach has only been around since 2003 and is based on the old (90s era) W140 S-Class platform and the interior electronics and many controls are similar to the W220 S-Class. Therefore, as much as I like the Maybach, your statement should be reversed since the S-Class really copies the Maybach.

The current S-Class shares only one similarity to the Maybach and that is the real clamshell trunk design. Ironically, everyone credits this design to the BMW 7-series and its designer Chris Bangle (Bangle Butt as it's called), but the Maybach design was actually shown as far back as 1998 so really Mercedes-Benz was first with this design.

I don't have anything bad to say about BMW, they are just not for me. They are good cars, and I have always been pleased when I have driven them. But I'm not really sure where the negative comments come from about the S-Class driving and handling performance. Especially when equipped with the Active Body Control suspention system, the W221 S-Class can run with the best of them.

Also regarding your experience as passenger in the S: You are the only one that knows how your *** felt after sitting in the back of the S-Class, but I really find it very unbelieveable that you found the seat so uncomfortable that it caused you pain, I think you are being a bit hyperbolic here to drive home your point. As you state the S-Class is often used as a chaffuer driven car, espeically in Europe. Why would so many people and companies use them if they were uncomfortable?
Old 06-07-2008, 03:06 AM

Alpine White BMW E90 3er
Originally Posted by markopolo
Let me think... where should I start,
You are all over the thread (consistency is Not your virtue...)
Let me begin.

We are all CIVIL here (except few). Why such a tasteless word - stupid fanboys? Lack of argument maybe?
I went briefly to one of BMW forums. Word "stupid" is very common there, should I say, like a fly in a outhouse
...wonder why...IQ issue???
We are all here saying/writing: "whatever makes you happy, makes me happy". Did you miss that? You might. It is subtle.

Your argument, "My father this, my Father that", is almost the same argument as "My Father had an Elephant in a bottle, but I can't show you because I left it home". Please ...
any better "my friend of a friend knew a friend..." argument?
Maybach - are you for real? That's based on 220. You should know that. Or maybe not. Poor's man ... Hmmmm. What's more MB (top) or BMW (top).
I'm catching myself here. Why do I have to to lower my standards (MB) to yours (BMW). And this is only a lazy riposte to your...originality comparo.

Another one, "MB is the car to be driven in". With pleasure, mind you. Except CL of course.
Let me ask you (and be honest with me ). Have you (you - not your friend of a friend) driven any CL lately?.

...yeah, "it's our choice to be ignorant",
I know.
And we all live in a (ignorance) bliss. And we LOVE IT.
Any thoughtful responses here?
Don't run to your Father now, please...
Mark.

BTW
Let me ask you, (not out of disrespect), how old are you.
Be honest here.
Before you ask - I'm 49.
The reason is - I WAS a BMW fan (Long time ago)
Lower your standards? lol. you were a bmw fan, a long time ago. alot has changed since then, dont you think? no, i have never driven a CL. ive driven the CLS a few times, and was impressed. ill be honest with you, thats the only car i give credit to MB for, and the older CL. how could i forget my love affair with the 1999 SL 500. getting back to it, who really cares about attacking my choice of words? thats really last resort. might as well correct my grammar while were at it.

PMB600: i think you have the concept of bangle butt horridly mixed up. best example, look on the back of a E60 5er, thats bangle butt. To be precise, my *** whent numb. it didnt "hurt" but it got annoying as hell. didnt get that problem in the 7er.

and i will freely admit it, i dont know 1/4th as much about mercedes as i do about BMW's. i appricate MB's older designs, but im loosing faith in their newer ones. anyways. sorry for coming off as an *******. im really here to learn about benz. but then again, thats why i drive a bmw.

Love,
A BMW Fanboy
Old 06-07-2008, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by LETO
I agree with that. If I could not have afforded an S. I would have bought a 750. No questions asked.
Did the 10k on a 85k/95k really make that much of a difference to you? over 3 years thats $277 per month.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:34 PM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
Originally Posted by gellie
Did the 10k on a 85k/95k really make that much of a difference to you? over 3 years thats $277 per month.
dont understand what you are trying to get at here?
Old 06-07-2008, 02:50 PM

Carl,

I have extensively driven the current M5 and after b****ing about everything I absolutely despised about the I-drive, the turn signal indicator and the horn rim glass headlights I just simply loved the way this car went in the high revs.

Compared to an AMG that feels like loud deep exhaust note muscle car, the noise i love the most on the M5 is how the air intake feels like it is going to suck the road in thru the front air dam. I am a big fan of this particular model.

However, living in the north east there is just no where to really push this car. When you put everything on the hardest setting, you realize how horrid the road is or just when you are happy, you are out of road!!!

IMHO, AMG's are better suited for the region I live in.

I have owned a couple BMW's in the past. And trust me when I first started getting into cars I too was full of facts (from magazines) of what my car was capable of. Having been tru several cars and brands i have to conclude that magazine reviewers live on a different plane than most of us do. You cant truly tell if a car is good or not unless you spend a couple days driving it.

Knowing a friend of a friend, or your dad etc etc really means jack in terms of having a opinion that counts in a argument.

"BMW as a brand attracts too many knuckleheads. Just look at the proliferation of cap-wearing louts that drive around with 20"s on their M3s."

couldn't have said it better...
Old 06-08-2008, 01:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by WSH
Have always found BMWs (incl Ms) lacking in steering precision; brake pedal feel/fade resist; tq/shiftspeed delivery; and chassis stability/damping vs high-speed fwys, esp vs bumpy stretches....

Also have never been impressed w/BMW safety engineering/innovation (both active and passive), at least per my common-sense eval....

And running joke among colleagues (back when some junior, non-car-oriented guys would get some Bimmer...the default car for car-clueless, aspirational guys in the finance/tech industries) was that new BMW's struggle w/such basics as competent air cond, e.g., when parked outside a SilicVy off bldg, even for a brief mtg on a 90F day deep in Valley....and basic fuel tank capacity is lacking for commuting in regions like NYC/LA/SF/Chic, where 80+mi round-trip commutes aren't uncommon btwn resid and various office corridors....

Would argue the laughable car (from an engineering/aesthetics standpoint) that has demolished MB from a marketing standpoint is VW-Bent....Bent is globally selling some ?10K/yr $200K commuter cars.....doubt MB is able to sell more than 3K/yr 65s globally....and BMW (like Audi/Lex) struggles to sell any >$100K cars, let alone $150K+ cars......
I typically enjoy some of your posts but this one is a little off the wall.

On the other hand, if you're smoking something that good, please pass it on
Old 06-10-2008, 09:53 PM

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 c63s coupe, 2008 s63 sedan, 2007 335i coupe
Originally Posted by WSH
Have always found BMWs (incl Ms) lacking in steering precision; brake pedal feel/fade resist; tq/shiftspeed delivery; and chassis stability/damping vs high-speed fwys, esp vs bumpy stretches....

Also have never been impressed w/BMW safety engineering/innovation (both active and passive), at least per my common-sense eval....

And running joke among colleagues (back when some junior, non-car-oriented guys would get some Bimmer...the default car for car-clueless, aspirational guys in the finance/tech industries) was that new BMW's struggle w/such basics as competent air cond, e.g., when parked outside a SilicVy off bldg, even for a brief mtg on a 90F day deep in Valley....and basic fuel tank capacity is lacking for commuting in regions like NYC/LA/SF/Chic, where 80+mi round-trip commutes aren't uncommon btwn resid and various office corridors....

Would argue the laughable car (from an engineering/aesthetics standpoint) that has demolished MB from a marketing standpoint is VW-Bent....Bent is globally selling some ?10K/yr $200K commuter cars.....doubt MB is able to sell more than 3K/yr 65s globally....and BMW (like Audi/Lex) struggles to sell any >$100K cars, let alone $150K+ cars......

well i can totally tell all the lies this guy is spewing

as some one with 3 amg s55's and an s63 plus a 335 and an e34 540i
i know oh too well about bmw steering..and esp the active steering in my 335 which is just incredible...it's funny too b/c all the points you said is what every automotive journalists and professionals drivers say in regards to merc being worse than bmw.. the steering, brakes and chassis are much better on bmw's hell the 335 beats rs4's on tracks unmodded. the reason they don't sell as many is b/c your right merc is the king of large sedans..but in terms of spirited driving my 62k 335 will kill the s63 all day long..as well as the s55's..not in a straight line but definitely on a track..hell the c63 with all it's might can't beat an m3 or a 335 on a tack.. amg makes unreal engines..but mercs chassis and weight distribution suck compared to bmw which is why any slalom test bmw wins no matter what class..

oh and do you know bmw's enthusiast list is more than twice the size of mercs..and there are more racing events and track event's for bmw..we have 5 mercs and unless it's an amg i would take a bmw every single time..no question..the enthusiast crowd for bmw is HUGE!!!! much more so than merc maybe only porsche is more devoted..you really need to get your facts straight before you come out and spew such **** people on 10 other forums are laughing there *** off at you!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 02:29 AM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Not lies... opinions which you can be respectful of and civil with your disagreement.... WSH who is respected here has valid views and opinions that do not deserve such hostility from someone jumping in with just 3 posts...

It is your ridiculous obsession with the track that is most revealing... outside of your circle who cares? If I wanted to track I would not do it in an S63, 335 or any other sedan... rather something better optimized for the dynamics of that requirement... MB's are unashamedly biased towards real road conditions... and as a result more pure of purpose IMO... but that does not invalidate what BMW's are good at.

(Incredulity section: Why would anyone own 3 S55's and an S63 especially if they are no good at "the track?")

Chris

Last edited by cjf_moraga; 06-11-2008 at 02:35 AM.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC

(Incredulity section: Why would anyone own 3 S55's and an S63 especially if they are no good at "the track?")

Chris
Why would anyone have 3 S55s. cjf you are right on here.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by purplewidow
the steering, brakes and chassis are much better on bmw's hell the 335 beats rs4's on tracks unmodded.
This is not true. You're thinking of the S4, which I used to own. RS4 is a far superior car to the 335i.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
Originally Posted by LETO
Carl,

I have extensively driven the current M5 and after b****ing about everything I absolutely despised about the I-drive, the turn signal indicator and the horn rim glass headlights I just simply loved the way this car went in the high revs.

Compared to an AMG that feels like loud deep exhaust note muscle car, the noise i love the most on the M5 is how the air intake feels like it is going to suck the road in thru the front air dam. I am a big fan of this particular model.

However, living in the north east there is just no where to really push this car. When you put everything on the hardest setting, you realize how horrid the road is or just when you are happy, you are out of road!!!

IMHO, AMG's are better suited for the region I live in.

I have owned a couple BMW's in the past. And trust me when I first started getting into cars I too was full of facts (from magazines) of what my car was capable of. Having been tru several cars and brands i have to conclude that magazine reviewers live on a different plane than most of us do. You cant truly tell if a car is good or not unless you spend a couple days driving it.

Knowing a friend of a friend, or your dad etc etc really means jack in terms of having a opinion that counts in a argument.

"BMW as a brand attracts too many knuckleheads. Just look at the proliferation of cap-wearing louts that drive around with 20"s on their M3s."

couldn't have said it better...

No, Rap stars don't put 20 inch rims on their S classes nor do they put them on their CLS's. You know, because it's a Mercedes.

That statement is complete and completely Ridiculous. Take a look around, and open your eyes. You're certainly missing something.
Might wanna check your facts there bud.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 06-12-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
great. good to know. anyways, as far as a V12 twin turbo on a 7 series? mmm. unlikely. would be a sad day for the fuel pump if that became a reality.

boys, dont count on this one. i claim

its not going to happen.
uhh....It's already been confirmed bro.

The new 7 will come in 2 different trim levels. 1 that is NA and one with will have a TT.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
No, Rap stars don't put 20 inch rims on their S classes nor do they put them on their CLS's. You know, because it's a Mercedes.

That statement is complete and completely Ridiculous. Take a look around, and open your eyes. You're certainly missing something.
Might wanna check your facts there bud.
You are right about this one. I see far more 'rims' on Mercedes than BMWs.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:28 AM

[QUOTE=-=Hot|Ice=-;2878663]No, Rap stars don't put 20 inch rims on their S classes nor do they put them on their CLS's. You know, because it's a Mercedes.

Might wanna check your facts there bud. [/QUOTE

not my facts originally, I was just agreeing (i quoted carl in the post above)

But I guess you need to learn how to use a car forum

Anywho, this thread is spent.

Good luck to you & whatever 3 series you have.