S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Pretty big problem...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 S550 w/ AMG Package
Pretty big problem...

Well this morning, I went in the car, turned it on...waited a little bit before leaving, and then put the car in reverse to back out of the garage. As soon as I started moving, the car was shaking like crazy! Then the engine symbol by the RPM thing started flashing but I got no messages on the screen. Idk what was wrong with it...but then I put it back in the garage, and took the ML because I had to be somewhere soon. So when I got back home, I called Tele-Aid and they sent out a technician. So they tried turning on the car and it was grinding and making awful noises and wouldnt turn on. So they took a look at the engine and they said there was tons of water in it, which I dont know how it could be there...it hasnt rained, I havent gone to the car wash in a week, or drove through any puddles. But long story short, they sent a tow truck, and now theyre taking it to the dealer. Does anyone know what could be going on?
Here are some pics though...

Old 06-14-2008, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Water in the engine, like in the crankcase? Or the engine compartment is very wet? If it's the former, you could have a cracked block or head or blown headgasket. It's new engine time if that's the case.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:59 PM

'07 S550 w/ AMG Package
Originally Posted by whoover
Water in the engine, like in the crankcase? Or the engine compartment is very wet? If it's the former, you could have a cracked block or head or blown headgasket. It's new engine time if that's the case.
I think the tech said the engine compartment.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
That is a bummer! I can't imagine what happened. Definitely keep us informed. Have you checked the exhaust pipes? There have been stories going around where someone can vindictively plug up the exhaust pipes with that expanding foam product called "Great Stuff". I looked in your exhaust in those pictures and they seem clear. Just a thought.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:31 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Too bad it's prob too old a car for a lemon law exit...

Wouldn't want any car post-anything more major than an oil change/new tires, no matter how allegedly competent is the dealer....
Old 06-15-2008, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Would have helped if you had taken equally good photos from the engine bay.

This one should not have a water-cooled alternator, what about the water pump failing badly (what else could do both the sound and the water in the engine bay)? Or perhaps some other part on the serpentine belt that had made the water piping fail when blowing itself?
Old 06-15-2008, 11:24 AM

'09 S63 AMG
The main derivatives of the fuel/air burning process of an internal combustion engine are carbon dioxide, water and some particulate matter (soot).

Since you say that you've not come in contact with any water (rain, car wash, etc.), the ONLY plausible explanation is that the water your engine produced ended up making it ill

Hard to believe. Really hard to believe, but......seems to be the ONLY plausible explanation for what happened.

I'd be keenly interested to know the outcome of this issue and what MB says happened to your engine.

Last edited by AustinGuy; 06-15-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:19 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by AustinGuy
The main derivatives of the fuel/air burning process of an internal combustion engine are carbon dioxide, water and some particulate matter (soot).

Since you say that you've not come in contact with any water (rain, car wash, etc.), the ONLY plausible explanation is that the water your engine produced ended up making it ill

Hard to believe. Really hard to believe, but......seems to be the ONLY plausible explanation for what happened.

I'd be keenly interested to know the outcome of this issue and what MB says happened to your engine.
The only other source of water I can think of is the A/C... (Though have no idea how it would have routed into the engine) Also interested...

Chris
Old 06-15-2008, 10:50 PM

'07 S550 w/ AMG Package
I should hear some news from the dealer tomorrow. Ill let you know what they say tomorrow.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:37 PM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
good luck. hope everything works out for you.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
I can't believe you took a pic of your vehicle getting loaded on the truck...
Old 06-16-2008, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by jbondox
I can't believe you took a pic of your vehicle getting loaded on the truck...
Learn some respect.

Best of luck OP in getting your car fixed.

Last edited by Carl Lassiter; 06-16-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:41 PM

MB
I'm sorry to hear of your problem, hope this gets resolved soon...

I had a similar experience in Germany with a new MB a few weeks ago. Car had been outside overnight, and ran extremely rough the next morning with subsequent warning lights and fluid discharge (coolant). The culprit was an animal that got into the warm engine compartment and played havoc with the wiring! (At least it had good taste)
Old 06-16-2008, 06:13 PM

'07 S550 w/ AMG Package
Update

The delaer said that the gas was contaminated and because of that, the whole system was contaminated.
I have two options

The first option is that they drain the system and put new gas in. He said that, the car may start again, it may not, but our entire fuel system warranty would be voided.

The second option is that they replace the gas pump, flush the gas system, replace all the components of the system, and do a spotless cleaning job on the engine. The only bad thing is that I would have to pay for that.

Should I sue the gas company I last gassed up at? I dont know what to do right now, and my only option really is the 2nd one, but that sounds expensive. Help please...
Old 06-16-2008, 06:22 PM

2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by sme636500
The delaer said that the gas was contaminated and because of that, the whole system was contaminated.
I have two options

The first option is that they drain the system and put new gas in. He said that, the car may start again, it may not, but our entire fuel system warranty would be voided.

The second option is that they replace the gas pump, flush the gas system, replace all the components of the system, and do a spotless cleaning job on the engine. The only bad thing is that I would have to pay for that. Should I sue the gas company I last gassed up at? I dont know what to do right now, and my only option really is the 2nd one, but that sounds expensive. Help please...
You mentioned they said there "was tons of water" in the engine. How did they say contaminated gas would have caused that? Where did the water come from? If the gas company had mixed water with the gas (deliberately or by accident) then that would surely have impacted many drivers in your area. Did you always fill up at the same station? This seems like it was something that would have progressively built up over time or the engine would not have run period - if the gas was that contaminated all in one fill-up.

Was this a reputable (well as much as any of them are these days) supplier?

Chris
Old 06-16-2008, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Unless you can find other people who bought contaminated gas from the same station, you have no case. They can always say someone siphoned gas from your car and replaced it with water so you wouldn't notice.

You need to do some research. If you can find others, the station will have to reimburse you. And yes, you have to do the work. Otherwise, even if your car recovers, you'll never be able to sell it with that on its record.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
BTW, when did you last gas up? If it weren't shortly before this happened, things would be very suspicious. Water is heavier than gas, and would get sucked into the engine pretty quickly after it got introduced into your tank, since the fuel line is tapped at the bottom of the tank.

If you had driven a while since you're last fill-up, you need to look for other sources of contamination. Anybody annoyed at you who could have taken a hose to your tank? Going through a divorce?
Old 06-16-2008, 06:48 PM

'07 S550 w/ AMG Package
Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
You mentioned they said there "was tons of water" in the engine. How did they say contaminated gas would have caused that? Where did the water come from? If the gas company had mixed water with the gas (deliberately or by accident) then that would surely have impacted many drivers in your area. Did you always fill up at the same station? This seems like it was something that would have progressively built up over time or the engine would not have run period - if the gas was that contaminated all in one fill-up.

Was this a reputable (well as much as any of them are these days) supplier?

Chris
They didnt say anything about the water on the engine, and it was the same company, but a different station.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by sme636500
They didnt say anything about the water on the engine, and it was the same company, but a different station.
Just trying to make sense of your response... You mean you filled up at one specific station, drove around OK and then had this problem when you started up one morning? As Whoover states, if significant amounts of water was entering your tank from the gas station it should have seized up your engine pretty quickly... And lots of other drivers visiting that station should have exactly the same problem. Is it a cheap gas brand or one of the majors?

The most likely way the gas could have been siphoned out and replaced with water is if the gas cap was forced open... but that is locked and I assume you checked if it has been forced? (Unless you leave your car unlocked where others have access )

Otherwise the cause would appear to be progressive with a little water being introduced over time... If you visited the same gas station continuously that would suggest one possible source, but if you visit different gas stations the cause would more likely seem internal/mechanical or plain malicious.

Just not seeing how the gas station would be at fault from information provided so far - or that you would have a case against them.

Chris

Last edited by cjf_moraga; 06-16-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:51 AM

'09 S63 AMG
Wow!

Just wow!

Water in you gas tank! I really don't know what to say. If it's true that the gas station adulterated the gas then I would pursue legal action to the fullest extent of the law. I really can't believe what this country is coming to and the extent to which people can get ripped off.

I used to always wonder about that sleazy looking gas station owner down the street who owned that decrepid gas station..... but figured since there was a large "Mobil" sign in the front the gas was good......

Last edited by AustinGuy; 06-17-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S550 , S430
ML forum member had similar problem:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ighlight=water
Old 06-17-2008, 11:57 AM

2018 S63 Sedan and 2012 E350 Cabriolet
All,

This is such a shocking surprise. I am just wondering if anybody have ever had such problems on any makes other than MB. I have never had this problem ever / never heard. Is it at all possible that there is an issue with MB fuel system etc? Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 White/brown Nappa S550, '13 S550 4 matic, 11 S550 sold, '10 S550 Sports BLACK 08 S550 P3 sport
Wow!

Just wow!

Water in you gas tank! I really don't know what to say. If it's true that the gas station adulterated the gas then I would pursue legal action to the fullest extent of the law. I really can't believe what this country is coming to and the extent to which people can get ripped off.

I used to always wonder about that sleazy Muslim looking gas station owner down the street who owned that decrepid gas station..... but figured since there was a large "Mobil" sign in the front the gas was good......
hey could we keep racism out of this. Iam a muslim and proud of it...
Old 06-17-2008, 12:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 White/brown Nappa S550, '13 S550 4 matic, 11 S550 sold, '10 S550 Sports BLACK 08 S550 P3 sport
also back to the original problem. ne said the engine compartment was flooded with water. how could that have happened, they surely did not smell gas during tow, so the fuel line was probably intact. sounds more like foul play.
really sorry for u man. hope they find the actual problem
Old 06-17-2008, 01:03 PM

2018 S63 Sedan and 2012 E350 Cabriolet
Wow!

Just wow!

I used to always wonder about that sleazy Muslim looking gas station owner down the street who owned that decrepid gas station..... but figured since there was a large "Mobil" sign in the front the gas was good......
AustinGuy - Not all Muslims are sleazy. Please be sensitive of the fact that people from across relegious / geographical / racial boundaries come to this forum.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pretty big problem...