S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Bigger sunglasses holder?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
Bigger sunglasses holder?

After two years of my subtle curved Porsche Design sunglasses, I decided to get a new pair of Maui Jim's. They're the hinged kind... not the flexing kind that don't hinge. Anyway, after two years of using and enjoying the convenient overhead sunglasses holder, these won't fit! They're nothing like the wraparound Prada-type or anything like that. At a glance they look like they would fit, but alas, they don't.

So, here are my questions:

1) Is there a way to sub the stock sunglasses holder with one that can handle a pair with more "curve"?

2) If not, what is a good alternative holder? I don't like having to keep the case that came with the glasses in the driver door or center compartment.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 06-29-2008, 09:19 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
I keep my sunglasses in a case in the ctr compartment....and, in winter (only time it ever rains in CA), keep a small portable umbrella in stg compt under ft passgr seat....I refuse to have any unsecured items anywhere in passgr cmpt of car, both to avoid intra-car missles in any severe deceleration/collision...and b/c I hate extraneous noises of stuff moving around during spirited driving....

View compartments like the overhd sunglass cmpt or the compartment under the driver's seat (or the open stg areas inside doors) as moronic, based upon common-sense safety analysis....IMO, too great a risk of compartment door spontaneously opening and unloading contents under severe deceleration/collision impact, w/poss of released items impacting driver and/or falling into area of throttle/brakes w/critical implics during any emergent driving maneuver....
Old 06-29-2008, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by WSH
I keep my sunglasses in a case in the ctr compartment....and, in winter (only time it ever rains in CA), keep a small portable umbrella in stg compt under ft passgr seat....I refuse to have any unsecured items anywhere in passgr cmpt of car, both to avoid intra-car missles in any severe deceleration/collision...and b/c I hate extraneous noises of stuff moving around during spirited driving....

View compartments like the overhd sunglass cmpt or the compartment under the driver's seat (or the open stg areas inside doors) as moronic, based upon common-sense safety analysis....IMO, too great a risk of compartment door spontaneously opening and unloading contents under severe deceleration/collision impact, w/poss of released items impacting driver and/or falling into area of throttle/brakes w/critical implics during any emergent driving maneuver....

Speaking of the under the seat compartments, I wish the latches were better made. They release way to easy. I wish they had more of a solid latch feel rather than the feather touch release they have at the moment. They were that way in the W220 models and that annoyed me then as well. I keep my insurance papers, registration papers, and chewing gum stored there. Nothing of a solid nature.

The original poster may want to consider storing the sunglasses there as an option. I haven't checked to see if this is large enough. I would think so.

Last edited by trumpet1; 06-29-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 S550 4Matic, AMG Sports Pkg, White/Black
Lightbulb Ditto

I agree 100% with EVERYTHING all three of you said. Ever since I bought my new sunglasses (from Target.. the cheapest I have ever bought!) I am unable to use the overhead sunglass holder. And many times when I get in the car and my leg brushes against the under seat storage bin it opens up. It just feels (and is) so cheap. The only additional observation I can make is the center console drives me nuts the way it opens up toward the back. I find it very awkward and uncomfortable. IMO it would be much much better if it opened to the side as the top (phone) compartment does.

Last edited by EinMD; 06-29-2008 at 10:54 AM. Reason: accuracy
Old 06-29-2008, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by EinMD
I agree 100% with EVERYTHING all three of you said. Ever since I bought my new sunglasses (from Target.. the cheapest I have ever bought!) I am unable to use the overhead sunglass holder. And many times when I get in the car and my leg brushes against the under seat storage bin it opens up. It just feels (and is) so cheap. The only additional observation I can make is the center console drives me nuts the way it opens up toward the back. I find it very awkward and uncomfortable. IMO it would be much much better if it opened to the side as the top (phone) compartment does.
I guess MB assumes owners using Euro type (sun)glasses, American glasses are often way bigger than those we are used to.

Funny (perhaps not) that you mention the storage bin in front of the seat. My wife manages to open it always, hardly anyone else. The release mechanism could be designed better.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL500 and ML55
https://www.1-800-optisource.com/ex/...e./xe/products