S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

LS460/Sclass comparo...You Won't Like It!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Lexus GS300, 2007 Lexus GS350
It seems my brethren on clublexus agree that this is not a fair comparison.
Again, I haven't driven an S but I will. I am really curious now.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2016 750i xDrive
Originally Posted by 451/443=EW
Im glad others buy Lexus. One day when I get my S ill pull up to a LS and say keep at it son and you will one day drive an S too. HAHA.... But for now I cant say anything
I'm sorry, but you need to grow up.

I would agree with most of you that LS600 in no way compares to S600... NO WAY!!! I think S600 is truly in class of it's own. I would also disagree with some of you about LS460L assessment. It competes and in some ways exceeds S550 w/out any problems (personal opinion).
When you talk about pricing of these cars, they are almost on the same level. When someone spends that kind of money on a car, a difference of 5 - 10K is not an issue. When I purchased my first LS460L back in Dec of 2006,(i'm on a second one now), I could have gotten an S550 with cheaper lease payments then LS460L. I'm not sure what MB rates are right now, but I'm pretty sure the payments for a lease would be roughly the same for both cars.
I guess some people are going thru a stage in life when they need to purchase a car for "status" and some people simply buy their cars because they like them. I guess I'm the second type.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:43 PM

2005 Range Rover HSE, 2008 BMW M3 Cab d/c, 2010 GL550 (wifes), 1993 Porsche 928GTS 32kmi garage quee
I'm a driving enthusiast. That is what pushed me to the 600. I don't need status. I need performance. However I do like the LS looks and interior. Most people do not need or want the performance handling and acceleration. Both cars are great for their intended slightly different audience. On a side note the only thing that really irritated me at Lexus was the salesman told me three times how they "copied Mercedes and made it better and more reliable." He didn't know I had an S. That was a turn off. No MB salesman ever talked to me about Lexus.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 S-Class, 2016 GLC-Class
Originally Posted by vonbeeler
I'm a driving enthusiast. That is what pushed me to the 600. I don't need status. I need performance. However I do like the LS looks and interior. Most people do not need or want the performance handling and acceleration. Both cars are great for their intended slightly different audience. On a side note the only thing that really irritated me at Lexus was the salesman told me three times how they "copied Mercedes and made it better and more reliable." He didn't know I had an S. That was a turn off. No MB salesman ever talked to me about Lexus.
Some sales people are just stupid. Don't let these morons turn you off to an entire brand..
Old 07-08-2008, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic
[QUOTE=dimapb;2925595]I'm sorry, but you need to grow up.

Or maybe your too grown up?
Im just havin fun buddy, if you read a privous post you would see that I think both cars are great, its just a matter of choice. Some like more excitment and others like a.... Lexus.

Ps im flattered that you would take the time to tell me what I need.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:38 AM

2016 750i xDrive
[QUOTE=451/443=EW;2926785]
Originally Posted by dimapb
I'm sorry, but you need to grow up.

Or maybe your too grown up?
Im just havin fun buddy, if you read a privous post you would see that I think both cars are great, its just a matter of choice. Some like more excitment and others like a.... Lexus.

Ps im flattered that you would take the time to tell me what I need.
Ok, let's talk about excitement...
What is so exciting about driving a S550?
I do however see excitement in driving S600, especially when you have to have an extra quart of oil in your trunk when you take the car on the long trip.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:10 AM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
[QUOTE=dimapb;2927843]

I do however see excitement in driving S600, especially when you have to have an extra quart of oil in your trunk when you take the car on the long trip.
At least you can concentrate on and not try to navigate your way thru the sea of plastic buttons that the LS is while driving.

Also, as far as status v. liking a car. There are a lot of people on this part of the MB forum (myself included) that are into double digits when it comes to MB ownership. So it is pretty safe to say our S class choice is strongly based on affinity to the model.

Last edited by LETO; 07-09-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:02 PM

2005 Range Rover HSE, 2008 BMW M3 Cab d/c, 2010 GL550 (wifes), 1993 Porsche 928GTS 32kmi garage quee
[QUOTE=dimapb;2927843]

It seems everybody that buys a Lexus tries to legitimize their purchase by implying there is a mechanical liability issues with Benz.
22,000 miles later and I havn't added a drop of oil to my twin turbo V-12. 10 years of ownership and 4 Mercedes later I have only had a dead battery. Its funny I used to hear the same talk from Porsche owners talking about Ferraris. Its always the lesser attacking the leader.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by trumpet1
What is so funny is that this whole thread is based on a comparison of the Lexus to a Mercedes ....and not the other way around.
My point above exactly. I buy the innovator not the copier. But for JQ public the copier is the percieved safer decision.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C350 4Matic
[QUOTE=dimapb;2927843]

I think we have a TROLL!! Why the heck do you drive an LS and come to an MB form? Its not like one of your cars is an S.

I said it before I LIKE LEXUS!!! but for my DAD!!
Lexus makes PERFECT cars, it just happens that to me they are also perfectly BORING!!
Old 07-09-2008, 12:54 PM

'06 S430 Sport, '05 C 55 AMG, '06 BMW 330i, '06 VW Beetle Convertible
[QUOTE=ChrisBrown;2922255]
Originally Posted by JohnH4260

I agree. The Lexus is a great car, it is what it is. That said, there is no car in the Lexus lineup that truly matches the S-Class. The LS is a great car, but if you're looking for an S, well, you need to buy and S.
Compairing a new LS 460L to an S 550 the dimensions, HP and many other features are similar and the Lexus does cost less. What it does not have is the S Class pedigree and prestigue. I recently drove an LS 460 and, in my opinion, it drove like a Cadillac did many years ago when it was a desireable car.

As to reliability, I've had my '06 S 430 almost three years and it has had only one minor problem outside of its normal maintenance. It drives beautifully, handles well on two lane mountain roads (with the suspension on full sport) and gets almost 26MPG on the interstate crusing at 80 MPH with the air on.

An S is a car in a class by itself. It is above everything else in every way except possibily Bentley or a Rolls and that is a debateable point. I believe it was Motor Trend that compared an S 600 to a new Rolls Phantom and said save the $200K and buy the S. It does everything better.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:55 PM

2016 750i xDrive
[QUOTE=vonbeeler;2928110]

It seems everybody that buys a Lexus tries to legitimize their purchase by implying there is a mechanical liability issues with Benz.
22,000 miles later and I havn't added a drop of oil to my twin turbo V-12. 10 years of ownership and 4 Mercedes later I have only had a dead battery. Its funny I used to hear the same talk from Porsche owners talking about Ferraris. Its always the lesser attacking the leader.
I'm not trying to legitimize my purchase and bore you with stories about my friends or coworkers having issues with their cars. I will however post a link to a topic on this forum and you judge for your self....
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w221/181412-s600-keeps-burning-oil.html
Old 07-09-2008, 01:02 PM

2016 750i xDrive
[QUOTE=Lender1;2928240]
Originally Posted by ChrisBrown

Compairing a new LS 460L to an S 550 the dimensions, HP and many other features are similar and the Lexus does cost less. What it does not have is the S Class pedigree and prestigue. I recently drove an LS 460 and, in my opinion, it drove like a Cadillac did many years ago when it was a desireable car.

As to reliability, I've had my '06 S 430 almost three years and it has had only one minor problem outside of its normal maintenance. It drives beautifully, handles well on two lane mountain roads (with the suspension on full sport) and gets almost 26MPG on the interstate crusing at 80 MPH with the air on.

An S is a car in a class by itself. It is above everything else in every way except possibily Bentley or a Rolls and that is a debateable point. I believe it was Motor Trend that compared an S 600 to a new Rolls Phantom and said save the $200K and buy the S. It does everything better.
I would agree with you that Lexus is missing a pedigree and prestigue of an MB. But look at it this way... Lexus has only been around for 18 years and here we are... comparing it to MB. They must be doing something right.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:12 PM

2016 750i xDrive
[QUOTE=451/443=EW;2928179]

I think we have a TROLL!! Why the heck do you drive an LS and come to an MB form? Its not like one of your cars is an S.

I said it before I LIKE LEXUS!!! but for my DAD!!
Lexus makes PERFECT cars, it just happens that to me they are also perfectly BORING!!
You can call me whatever you'd like, I'm here to express my opinion, as it is a forum, and not to sh*t on anybody. And you are correct, I drive an LS, and not because I could not afford an MB but simply because I have different priorities at this time. I come to this forum because I enjoy reading about fine cars, and I think MB fits the category. They have had their fair share of issues since 2000, but based on what I'm reading here and hearing from my friends that do have S class, most of them have been addressed.
Back to the topic... Can you define "BORING" please? Have you ever test driven an LS460L? You are here calling me a TROLL, but from what I've seen, you yourself don't have an S class. You are an S class wannabe.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:37 PM

[QUOTE=dimapb;2928243]
Originally Posted by vonbeeler

I'm not trying to legitimize my purchase and bore you with stories about my friends or coworkers having issues with their cars. I will however post a link to a topic on this forum and you judge for your self....
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=181412
This thread is getting pretty funny and shows that we are all passionate about vehicles. We all def have that in common. If the price I need to pay is put a quart of oil in now and then to drive this magnificent beast then I will
be more than happy to do that. Even though I have never had to.
This will give me an excuse to pop the hood and admire it.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Almost a Member!

///M3
should I read that whole thread just to get to the LS460/S-Class comparison? Or is it just the S320 diesel vs. the LS600h as claimed?
Old 07-09-2008, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C350 4Matic
[QUOTE=dimapb;2928286]
Can you define "BORING" please? Have you ever test driven an LS460L? You are here calling me a TROLL, but from what I've seen, you yourself don't have an S class. You are an S class wannabe.
By boring, I mean lack of proformance. I can say it till my face turns blue!
Lexus is a VERY nice car, its just to tame for my taste.

And YES im an S class wanabe. I mean why would I not want an S?
It is what all other cars are measured to. If Lexus is pursuing the premium brand, who do you think is in there sights?

Buddy dont take things so personal. To be honest im sure your a good guy, but you are on an S class form. And I have driven the LS and the S. In fact iv driven Farrari's, lexus, benz, BM's, Porsche, all domestic's, and so on...
Too many to list by models or even brands. To answer a Question you may now have. I used to be an Auto detailer for many years. Iv also had other jobs that are linked very close to cars. My friends are fan's so we trade cars.
I have driven every current Lexus on the market, my buddy sell's them.

Perfect cars, but also perfectly dull. Not everyone wants what I want out of a driver. Some just like a nice smooth driver and quite reliable drive, wraped in comfort and luxury, that makes up a lexus. Just not enough for me.

I'll take the car that eats corners at the same time as the above desires.
I want the car that people are scared to touch! Cus I dont want them to touch it anyway. I love it when people say that Benz is crap, when they get in they seem to forget what a crappy car they are in.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:09 PM

2016 750i xDrive
[QUOTE=451/443=EW;2928450]

By boring, I mean lack of proformance. I can say it till my face turns blue!
Lexus is a VERY nice car, its just to tame for my taste.

And YES im an S class wanabe. I mean why would I not want an S?
It is what all other cars are measured to. If Lexus is pursuing the premium brand, who do you think is in there sights?

Buddy dont take things so personal. To be honest im sure your a good guy, but you are on an S class form. And I have driven the LS and the S. In fact iv driven Farrari's, lexus, benz, BM's, Porsche, all domestic's, and so on...
Too many to list by models or even brands. To answer a Question you may now have. I used to be an Auto detailer for many years. Iv also had other jobs that are linked very close to cars. My friends are fan's so we trade cars.
I have driven every current Lexus on the market, my buddy sell's them.

Perfect cars, but also perfectly dull. Not everyone wants what I want out of a driver. Some just like a nice smooth driver and quite reliable drive, wraped in comfort and luxury, that makes up a lexus. Just not enough for me.

I'll take the car that eats corners at the same time as the above desires.
I want the car that people are scared to touch! Cus I dont want them to touch it anyway. I love it when people say that Benz is crap, when they get in they seem to forget what a crappy car they are in.

That's cool. I'm not offended and I don't take it personally. We are all entitled to our opinions and I respect yours.
BTW, ask your friend at Lexus to let you test drive LS460L with touring package (air suspension) and tell me if your opinion changes. My first LS460 did not have air suspension and it felt a bit floaty, however, my second one does, and it feels completely different.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C350 4Matic
Sure, and maybe it will change, stanger things have happend lol
Im just glad we can sometime agree to disagree. Nothing wrong with that right
Old 07-25-2008, 05:29 PM

'15 S550 4matic; '10 RX350; '14 E350 Cabriolet
Although the Lexus is a nice car, but definitely not a 'drivers' car, I really do not have a large selection to choose from (Not that I am unhappy with the S550 4-Matic), as I require all wheel drive due to the hills that I have around here in CT, and the LS600h is outright absurd. Perhaps if BMW made an all wheel drive SEDAN there MAYBE a vehicle to compare the S550 4-Matic with.