S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

silly newbie questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW
silly newbie questions

Hey all,

I apologise in advance for these and I'm sure multiple newbie questions that I'll ask over the coming days/weeks/months. I've got a S320 cdi (UK) coming in a few days with the full amg bodykit and wheels on it. My original aim was to buy a full Brabus D6 conversion from Germany, but I couldn't get insurance on it so I went for the next best thing.

Just what is a lowering module. Am I right in that it just lowers the car? Does it matter if it's a Brabus/Renntech/Kleeman etc.. or do they all do the same thing. Why pick one over the other? My car has airmatic suspension; is that not the same thing in that it moves the suspension up or down thus lowering the car. And with a name like "module" I can't get the idea out of my head that it's actually a software upgrade?

Secondly, a little less of a newbie question; but a question nevertheless. Since my car is a lowly diesel car it doesn't have the exhausts showing from the back like the petrol cars do as the exhausts are hidden. Does anyone know what I need to change to get it looking like the petrol cars with 2 big juicy exhausts? (one at either side) Do I just need the rear AMG (bumper?) with the exhaust cutouts and exhaust system or do I need a lot else? Might sound silly, but is it possible just to cut out the space needed for the exhausts from the AMG rear bumper on just now?

Cheers in advance guys

Last edited by zuby84; 07-05-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:49 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Not clear what the strategic objective is....

If trying to fool those w/a 2-digit IQ who rarely see $100K+ cars, most efficient approach may be to simply spend ?$50 and slap some "S65 AMG" and "V12 Biturbo" badges on....mission accomplished....

If live/work in Lond's W End, where many slightly more jaded observors may mock such an amusing poseur approach, any aftermkt stuff is a waste of (obviously) scarce money anyway.....just get a new S65; anything less is a waste of money if trying to command respect at any office pkg garage/restaurant that matters....

May make more strategic sense to relocate to a place like CA, which has a far more dynamic economy (esp to afford better cars at a young age)....and world's cheapest cars/leases (S65s only cost about what a lowly, underpowered, underbraked, plasticky S500 costs in Lond/Munich)....and CA has some of world's best weather/roads to actually enjoy these cars daily, w/no need for those silly, girlie winter wheels/tires.....
Old 07-06-2008, 01:04 AM

CLS550
Median income stats for California, UK, and others.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by zuby84
Hey all,

I apologise in advance for these and I'm sure multiple newbie questions that I'll ask over the coming days/weeks/months. I've got a S320 cdi (UK) coming in a few days with the full amg bodykit and wheels on it. My original aim was to buy a full Brabus D6 conversion from Germany, but I couldn't get insurance on it so I went for the next best thing.

Just what is a lowering module. Am I right in that it just lowers the car? Does it matter if it's a Brabus/Renntech/Kleeman etc.. or do they all do the same thing. Why pick one over the other? My car has airmatic suspension; is that not the same thing in that it moves the suspension up or down thus lowering the car. And with a name like "module" I can't get the idea out of my head that it's actually a software upgrade?
I believe some of them not only lower them, but have the ability to be adjusted to different heights, not just the lowest setting. Different lowering modules lower at different heights. Do a search on some of the more popular sections around here on ELMs (electronic lowering module) and you'll learn more.

Secondly, a little less of a newbie question; but a question nevertheless. Since my car is a lowly diesel car it doesn't have the exhausts showing from the back like the petrol cars do as the exhausts are hidden. Does anyone know what I need to change to get it looking like the petrol cars with 2 big juicy exhausts? (one at either side) Do I just need the rear AMG (bumper?) with the exhaust cutouts and exhaust system or do I need a lot else? Might sound silly, but is it possible just to cut out the space needed for the exhausts from the AMG rear bumper on just now?

Cheers in advance guys
I'm curious to know what the AMG package rear bumper looks like if it doesn't have the cutouts for exposed exhaust tips. It is most likely possible to just cut the bumper and weld new tips on.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
The AMG kit was not initially available for CDI-models at all. Now there are separate rear bumper lower portion parts for AMG + CDI. I guess one can cut the bumper to make room for gasser pipes but it may not look too good.

Personally I prefer the CDI approach where twin-pipes are not visible, before you press the pedal to make some smoke (although there is no such smoke as "good old time" diesels had).

By the way, the UK price without options seems to be $118 000 for the V221 CDI.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:10 AM

BMW
WSH,

Firstly, I love the assumptions you make and your post does have a little "I am better than you" ring to it and is a little cheeky. Is it because that by yourself having a real AMG and I getting a S with lowly AMG styling; do you think you are better than me? You talk about my scarcity of money; but that is a big assumption to make as you know nothing about me or my circumstances. I know a lot of people more wealthier than myself or perhaps yourself, but roll around on normal everyday cars. I wouldn't even say it's prioritisation; I would say it's personal taste. If you re-read your message; you'll realise just how aloof you sound. Do I not have the right to customise my car by adding 2 (not 4) visible tailpipes if I'm not willing to spend $300k for a S65 even if I'm rich or poor?

Fact is this car costs $130k (with no extras apart from bodystyling/alloys) in the UK, in the USA you will pick up all the AMG's apart from the S65 for that price. The average salary's of the UK and the USA is intresting, but the £:$ has been hovering at around 1:2 for quite some time and that would lift up the median salary in the UK to the same as the USA's. It's a lot more expensive living here in the UK (houses/cars/electronics/probably taxes?) and we have the National Health Service so it may just level out in the end.

I am not going to get a $300k S65 or even a $200k S63 as I also have other priorities and I think that at my stage in life; it's a bit excessive. Like you mentioned it's very easy to get financing/leases out on very expensive cars and it's the same here, but I always pay cash for cars. I've been brought up that if you can't pay it outright; you can't afford it. You will not imagine how many "prestige" cars have hit the roads over the course of the past 6-8 years even here in Scotland. It seem's every second car is a BMW/audi/merc and every 4th is a Bentley! I have yet to see a S65/S63 ever in the flesh and who knows maybe when I'm comfortable spending that kinda money; mine'll be the first I'll see I'm curious, just how many less S65's you would see if they cost $100k more in the States? I'm sure everyone could still afford it for an extra 100k, but having money and willingness to spend it (some might say wastefully) are 2 entirely different things.

What I'm not trying to do is to make it look like a proper AMG. It will still have a diesel badge on it and everything else will be the same (might change alloys, but that's ok isn't it?). I dislike cars wich are trying to be like something they're not as I gather you do too. But in this case I just like the look of exhausts which are showing from under the rear bumper. I don't want AMG quad tailpipes, just double (like the S350). I have heard that the facelift S320cdi model may also have the exhausts showing from the rear bumber like the S350 does just now like the new C class diesels have. So basically, the strategic objective is none of the 3 options you mentioned. It's because I like the look of those exhausts and it just looks that bit extra sportier for someone who's relatively young like myself without being forced to go all the way for a S65 or waiting for a diesel facelift.

I realise you have a CLS AMG, that's another car I considered and one in which I could get insurance on! But I decided to let my head win over my heart this time and opt for the full 5 seats diesel.

Cheers