S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

ECU upgrade, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s600
ECU upgrade, is it worth it?

Hey guys, I am considering getting an ecu upgrade for my s600. I know a lot of people have mixed feeling about this upgrade and what company to choose and I just needed a little guidence to factor in when making my decision. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2008, 09:35 PM

S600
I am happy with my Kleemann ecu
Old 07-25-2008, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Renntech did mine and it really performs well. Just make sure that your service advisor and technician know you've done it so they don't flash the computer back to factory. This happened to me
Old 07-26-2008, 01:10 AM

s600
Originally Posted by trumpet1
Renntech did mine and it really performs well. Just make sure that your service advisor and technician know you've done it so they don't flash the computer back to factory. This happened to me
So it doesnt void the warranty.. Mb of manhattan told me it might void the warranty which I think is b.s. To be honest I just want the 130 governor removed that thing is annoying, plus i was told that when the temperature is hot the car doesnt run well with the ecu upgrade.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by bks600
So it doesnt void the warranty.. Mb of manhattan told me it might void the warranty which I think is b.s. To be honest I just want the 130 governor removed that thing is annoying, plus i was told that when the temperature is hot the car doesnt run well with the ecu upgrade.

It probably would void the warranty but only if their is considerable proof that damage to the engine, transmission, motor supports,and other associated parts were damaged due to the upgrade. Also, Renntech warrants against any damage if I'm not mistaken. Call Rob at Renntech and ask him about Renntech's warranty.
But if you came in with a window motor damaged/broken or a radio problem, power seat issue or something totally unrelated, the engine modification isn't going to void the MB factory warranty against those type of items.
My MB techs always seem supportive of my modification. They don't pounce on me about it in any negative way.
I don't think there is any overheating issue. I went through one of the hottest summers here last year and it never overheated.

However, if you ever plan on trading in your car, remove any evidence that it was done (badges) and get the MB tech to remove it by flashing the computer as it will negatively affect the trade in value slightly. It will give the impression you've been abusing the car.

I got my ECU done to get a quicker early-on acceleration in traffic but I don't pounce on the accelerator in an abusive way. I did a few times right after I got it just to play around and test just how much better it would perform but I'm sensible with it as I know a car this heavy could be damaged if I pushed it real hard all the time. I plan on keeping my car and I want it to last a long, long time.

Last edited by trumpet1; 07-26-2008 at 08:35 AM.