S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

USA and Canada S-Class Difference?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes ML
USA and Canada S-Class Difference?

Hello,

Is there a difference between the USA and Canada S550 4Matic? (besides the price).

I was thinking of purchasing a new S550 4Matic from the states and drive it across the border to Canada (where I live). I've read the process and instructions on how to do it on (http://www.riv.ca), but was wondering if this will be a wise idea? or should I just buy one in Canada?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-10-2008, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 299 Likes on 250 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I'm really not familiar with this even if both are mostly the same with Euro models but the details are important. I've seen these details discussed at the W211 forums, I would guess most would apply for a W221 too.

Examples like the speedo change from mph to km/h are not straightforward at all with modern cars, unlike one could assume when it is only an LCD screen.

It would sound tempting to import one even to Europe but the paperwork is even more challenging, it is difficult to prove a car built in Sindelfingen would follow European regulations.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
It used to be that you had to have MB change the bumpers because of the crash test different requirements. That may now be waived. I don't know.
The biggest difference that would bother me is the speedo.
You can switch from km/hr to mph but here's the catch: your speedo will be in miles per hour and the km/hr readout will be a small square at the lower left of the screen. That could be a problem for resale. The previous S class model had the same round speedo screen and when you switched from KMs/hr to mph the needle simply jumped. Prices are definately less in the US and as long as you don't need a MB lease, you will be getting a good deal. But your purchaser down the line will expect that same deal because of the speedo factor and so you may not be better off...
Old 08-11-2008, 03:10 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Would guess many new S-Class buyers in Canada have a FL winter house....

Can one lease car in FL; register/insure it to FL home's address; drive it in Canada; and return car in US at end of lease?

Many in NYC region play the FL arbitrage to avoid higher sales taxes, front plate laws, etc of NYC region....

Many high-end cars in London are plated to various Mideast countries...and kept/driven at their London wkend houses...
Old 08-11-2008, 05:30 PM

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS
Shipping a US-registered car for use in Europe is pretty straightforward. I have done it with several of my cars that I have owned in the states. All I have had to shell out was approximately 365 Euros per year, a fee for using a foreign license plate within my homecountry. I have done so with several MBs bought in the States, whose warranty had expired. There is a certain cachet with a front-plateless high end MB with US plates: a certain immunity by the usually-crooky police in "EU-aspiring" countries such as mine, which unfortunately goes hand in hand with unwanted attention from a different class of individuals. I would not want to buy a new, or even used MB in Europe, as they run anywhere from 40 to 80 percent more expensively than here.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WSH
Would guess many new S-Class buyers in Canada have a FL winter house....

Can one lease car in FL; register/insure it to FL home's address; drive it in Canada; and return car in US at end of lease?

Many in NYC region play the FL arbitrage to avoid higher sales taxes, front plate laws, etc of NYC region....

Many high-end cars in London are plated to various Mideast countries...and kept/driven at their London wkend houses...
I've seen this in London and elsewhere but first of all, there are restrictions on who is allowed to drive a car that has foreign plates and those should only be allowed for a limited time (half a year or a year) and only when you move to the country and bring the car along with the other stuff when you move.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ferri
Shipping a US-registered car for use in Europe is pretty straightforward. I have done it with several of my cars that I have owned in the states. All I have had to shell out was approximately 365 Euros per year, a fee for using a foreign license plate within my homecountry. I have done so with several MBs bought in the States, whose warranty had expired. There is a certain cachet with a front-plateless high end MB with US plates: a certain immunity by the usually-crooky police in "EU-aspiring" countries such as mine, which unfortunately goes hand in hand with unwanted attention from a different class of individuals. I would not want to buy a new, or even used MB in Europe, as they run anywhere from 40 to 80 percent more expensively than here.
I interpret you are talking about the case when you move from the US (even temporarily but for a reasonable time at least) to Europe? I see a lot of these cars at our company parking lot. I was talking about the case I would buy a car from the US when living in EU. It still is easier for older US registered cars but it really is difficult for modern cars. I've seen experts showing details, I guess I should find proper reference but let's first agree that we talk about the same case.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:47 AM

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I interpret you are talking about the case when you move from the US (even temporarily but for a reasonable time at least) to Europe? I see a lot of these cars at our company parking lot. I was talking about the case I would buy a car from the US when living in EU. It still is easier for older US registered cars but it really is difficult for modern cars. I've seen experts showing details, I guess I should find proper reference but let's first agree that we talk about the same case.
It would not be worth it to buy, let's say, a new MB here, although it would on face value save up to 30%. For starters, the warranty would be void. IN addition, you would want the dealership you buy from to service your car, even to establish record in case of subsequent sale.