S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Permanent watermark "bubbles"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW
Permanent watermark "bubbles"

Hey there all,

On my w221 S320 cdi, there are watermarks on the external black pillars (in between the driver and passenger windows) which are 100% unremovable. There are also some watermarks on the chrome strips that run along the edges of the windows. I'll try and post some pictures of this when I have a chance but has anyone had experience with this before? You know when it rains and then the sun dries off the water and you're left with all of these visible watermark bubbles, that's exactly what it's like but permanent!

Should this be covered under manufacturers warranty? A friend recently told me that it's an issue with BMW's/Mercs but I've never heard of it before. Any truth in this? What could have caused this?

Also, my chrome strip (going along both sets of doors) is discoloured and has started rusting at some points. I took this into my dealer and they said that they will happily replace the strip(s) which is rusting, but not any of the other strips (discoloured but not rusting.) This would just make the car look odd as some of the strip will be new/shiney while other parts will be tarnished. Am I being unreasonable in asking them to replace all of the chrome lining at the bottom so it's all one colour?

Thanks
Old 09-22-2008, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by zuby84
Hey there all,

On my w221 S320 cdi, there are watermarks on the external black pillars (in between the driver and passenger windows) which are 100% unremovable. There are also some watermarks on the chrome strips that run along the edges of the windows. I'll try and post some pictures of this when I have a chance but has anyone had experience with this before? You know when it rains and then the sun dries off the water and you're left with all of these visible watermark bubbles, that's exactly what it's like but permanent!

Should this be covered under manufacturers warranty? A friend recently told me that it's an issue with BMW's/Mercs but I've never heard of it before. Any truth in this? What could have caused this?

Also, my chrome strip (going along both sets of doors) is discoloured and has started rusting at some points. I took this into my dealer and they said that they will happily replace the strip(s) which is rusting, but not any of the other strips (discoloured but not rusting.) This would just make the car look odd as some of the strip will be new/shiney while other parts will be tarnished. Am I being unreasonable in asking them to replace all of the chrome lining at the bottom so it's all one colour?

Thanks
Please post pictures. The CDI came from 2006, it is difficult to believe you have some rust, specifically on plastic chrome strips. Where have you kept the car, at some really bad industrial plant where people should not visit without protective clothing?
Old 09-22-2008, 01:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'09 S63 AMG
I had the same problem on my prev. 08 S550 though not as bad as yours seem to be. I had some discoloration (brown spots) on the front grille and door molding strips. No water marks (although the brown spots could have been water marks). It was really annoying.

Try this. Works like magic - I use it on my S63 to polish the chrome tail pipes and on the stainless steel door sill plates. Can't beat it!! : http://www.signaturepolishonline.com/

It's the best stuff money can buy. They are a small company located in Wisconsin - been is business for nearly 100 years ... and only sell direct to the consumer and other high end appliance companies like Sub Zero, Wolf, etc. On 2nd thoughts, after reading the site, it looks like it does remove water marks after all

Last edited by AustinGuy; 09-22-2008 at 01:47 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:04 PM

BMW
Hey there all,

I've attached some pictures to illustrate my point.

1st pic: the window pillars
2nd pic: you can just about make out the marks on the chrome (which goes along the edge of the windows) - doesn't show up on the pic as well
3rd pic: you can notice the chrome strips (along the doors) corroding a little (browinsh)

All of these marks are permanent; I recently got my car polished/waxed and all that professionally and they couldnt get it off.

No, I haven't been keeping it in a dodgy place; but I did buy it used.

What do you guys think? The car just doenst't look as sleek and nice as it should.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Permanent watermark "bubbles"-pillars.jpg   Permanent watermark "bubbles"-marksonstriparound-windows.jpg   Permanent watermark "bubbles"-corrosio-nchrome-strip.jpg  
Old 09-23-2008, 03:49 PM

'09 S63 AMG
That last pic is bad. Real bad!

Although carfax is not a 100% accurate, have you done a look up just to see if it's been in any water damage (since your car is used)? Of course, if it was never run through insurance you'd never know.

Your best bet would be to replace the strips on the doors because that damage is deep. But more importantly, any MB dealership owes you an explanation for why this happened. If it's a defect, then MB HAS to fix it under warranty.

Another thing I noticed: The paint below the chrome strip in the 3rd. pic seems to be in bad shape - spots/peeling off. What condition is the car in over all?

Last edited by AustinGuy; 09-23-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:49 PM

BMW
AustinGuy,

I'm not very pleased with the bodywork of the car as there are a few scuffs and chips on it. But overall, paintwork is fine, but the chrome/black paneling is not as per the pictures. Check out that picture of the pillars; imagine them on your car!! - not a pretty site.

The 3rd pic isn't as bad as it looks, the paintwork is fine around the chrome strip itself (just quite dirty as hasn't been washed.)

I live in scotland and the car definately isn't water damaged; my guess is that the previous owner used a corrosive kind of polish? Do you think I can get these panels replaced by MB under warranty even though I have no idea what has caused these permanent marks? Should permanent marks be left on them so readily?

On a side note, you got a beautiful car austinguy. I really want to buy myself a AMG in a few years when I can get insured for it.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:07 AM

'09 S63 AMG
AustinGuy,

I'm not very pleased with the bodywork of the car as there are a few scuffs and chips on it. But overall, paintwork is fine, but the chrome/black paneling is not as per the pictures. Check out that picture of the pillars; imagine them on your car!! - not a pretty site.

The 3rd pic isn't as bad as it looks, the paintwork is fine around the chrome strip itself (just quite dirty as hasn't been washed.)

I live in scotland and the car definately isn't water damaged; my guess is that the previous owner used a corrosive kind of polish? Do you think I can get these panels replaced by MB under warranty even though I have no idea what has caused these permanent marks? Should permanent marks be left on them so readily?
No, under normal circumstances you should not have those marks. That's why I told you to get in front of your dealership and have them explain it to you. Actually, first ask them to fix it under warranty. If they don't, then make 'em step up to the plate and explain why
On a side note, you got a beautiful car austinguy. I really want to buy myself a AMG in a few years when I can get insured for it.
Thanks. Right now I'm babying her. Just got done using a paint cleaner and applying some P21S Carnauba wax. I got to tell ya - it looks bad *** - deep black shimmer that literally glows into a purplish hue at sunset

Last edited by AustinGuy; 09-25-2008 at 02:41 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 01-29-2010, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 S550
I know this is an old topic, but I have the same discoloration on my b-pillars as shown in the pictures above. I just bought my S550 (used) and I'm about 600 miles from my factory warranty expiring. I took it in to my local MB and pointed it out (it was actually the first thing I noticed about the car). The tech said it was not unusual but it was not a problem and that it should come out with some buffing and keeping it waxed.
Personally I find this hard to believe. I had a similar problem on a Ford I owned a number of years ago and they replaced them under warranty.

Anyone have any recommendations or similar problems?
Old 01-30-2010, 10:20 AM

2007 S550
Hey there all,

I've attached some pictures to illustrate my point.

1st pic: the window pillars
2nd pic: you can just about make out the marks on the chrome (which goes along the edge of the windows) - doesn't show up on the pic as well
3rd pic: you can notice the chrome strips (along the doors) corroding a little (browinsh)

All of these marks are permanent; I recently got my car polished/waxed and all that professionally and they couldnt get it off.

No, I haven't been keeping it in a dodgy place; but I did buy it used.

What do you guys think? The car just doenst't look as sleek and nice as it should.

Thanks
I detail my MB's as a hobby and the spots look like hard water spots to me. The problem with water spots is they will etch the clear coat if not removed in a timely manner. If I ever see water spots on my black S, I prepare a 50:50 vinegar and water mixture, saturate a microfiber towel, then lay the towel on the area for a few minutes and then rinse. If this does not work, a Good detailer can usually polish them out with a more aggressive polish. However, if water spots have etched through the clear coat, you will have to replace. You may want to post on Detailing Bliss and ask the guys on that website their opinion. Good Luck
Old 01-30-2010, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
If it is on uncleared chrome or stainless you can use a stainless polish or a lime-away type product- just don't use it on a painted/cleared surface (or at least try in an inconspicuous spot). After you get the spots off just wax a few times to protect it. The painted surface can be clayed which will often help or if they are really stubborn- vinegar as mentioned or a dedicated water spot remover. As far as the pits go- that is strange, I usually see that on older boats, not MB's. If the pits are that bad I would consider changing the affected trim

More than likely you have been trying polish or compound to remove- both prove to be nearly useless when it comes to water spots...