S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Saks Fifth Avenue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Saks Fifth Avenue

If anyone is looking for the SFA special edition S550, my dealership has one. The white paint on this thing is to die for. I think the sticker is around $102K. +/- a grand.
As most other SFA cars, there will probably be only 1000 sold.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
Surely a unique...but I assume they wont discount them at all in comparison to the normal 550's, major deterrent
Old 10-25-2008, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by blazinginder
Surely a unique...but I assume they wont discount them at all in comparison to the normal 550's, major deterrent
I wouldn't think so either. If I get a chance, I will go back down that way and take pix of it. It may already be in our local Saks 5th avenue store by now. It was raining yesterday and the car was sitting outside, so I know they would have had to detail it since then before taking it to the store. I just tried to call the salesman to see where it is.
Hopefully , I can find time to get some pix.

Last edited by trumpet1; 10-25-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1953 Fiat Topolino
Trumpet1: You might recall than in the early winter of '06 there was a special Saks Fifth Avenue Edition '07 S600 which totaled just 20 examples. It was Mocha Metallic Black exterior paint with an unusual almond beige interior & hand-polished Piano Lacquer Black wood on the dash and doors. The seats had the unique Designo pleating which later became standard on the '08 S600. There was also a '07 CL600 Saks Fifth Avenue Edition (Mystic White exterior with Porcelain Nappa leather and Piano Lacquer Black wood-trim) which was announced in the Fall of '06. Again, only 20 examples were made of this Signature Edition. There is now even a Saks SLR McLaren Roadster (just one) to be sold in this year's Christmas Saks Catalog. It is Sienna Pearl metallic paint with wonderful Tobacco Brown leather interior. The more numerous Saks Fifth Avenue editions in the past have been in the 'lesser' models - 1000 '08 C350 Sports and 750 '06 R class vehicles. These higher production Saks editions were all tied to the 'Find the Cure' project related to women cancer research (very worthwhile effort). The smaller Saks editions are more unique and are aimed at very limited market of high rollers seeking exclusivity & unusual color combinations. What I find interesting about this 2009 Saks Fifth Avenue S550 is the high number (1000 examples) being made of this Edition. Although it will be of great benefit to the charity (an excellent corporate effort), this Saks 2009 S550 will probably not have the unique cache normally associated with low volume Saks Editions. It is also targeted at women buyers via the colors being utilized (as are most other 'Find the Cure' Saks MB editions). Be curious to see how it does in the US marketplace. Given this economy and the soft market for ultra-luxury vehicles, it would not surprise me if you will indeed find good dealer discounts on this special Saks edition. Time will tell. Regards, Z356
Old 10-25-2008, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by Z356
Trumpet1: You might recall than in the early winter of '06 there was a special Saks Fifth Avenue Edition '07 S600 which totaled just 20 examples. It was Mocha Metallic Black exterior paint with an unusual almond beige interior & hand-polished Piano Lacquer Black wood on the dash and doors. The seats had the unique Designo pleating which later became standard on the '08 S600. There was also a '07 CL600 Saks Fifth Avenue Edition (Mystic White exterior with Porcelain Nappa leather and Piano Lacquer Black wood-trim) which was announced in the Fall of '06. Again, only 20 examples were made of this Signature Edition. There is now even a Saks SLR McLaren Roadster (just one) to be sold in this year's Christmas Saks Catalog. It is Sienna Pearl metallic paint with wonderful Tobacco Brown leather interior. The more numerous Saks Fifth Avenue editions in the past have been in the 'lesser' models - 1000 '08 C350 Sports and 750 '06 R class vehicles. These higher production Saks editions were all tied to the 'Find the Cure' project related to women cancer research (very worthwhile effort). The smaller Saks editions are more unique and are aimed at very limited market of high rollers seeking exclusivity & unusual color combinations. What I find interesting about this 2009 Saks Fifth Avenue S550 is the high number (1000 examples) being made of this Edition. Although it will be of great benefit to the charity (an excellent corporate effort), this Saks 2009 S550 will probably not have the unique cache normally associated with low volume Saks Editions. It is also targeted at women buyers via the colors being utilized (as are most other 'Find the Cure' Saks MB editions). Be curious to see how it does in the US marketplace. Given this economy and the soft market for ultra-luxury vehicles, it would not surprise me if you will indeed find good dealer discounts on this special Saks edition. Time will tell. Regards, Z356
Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I do remember now the first two you mentioned : The 07 S and CL 600s. We have a 2008 C350.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem with the Saks editions (especially true with the most exclusive models except the SLR), is that those colors became available as designo options shortly therafter. In this case, the Sahara/Black interior is a standard order interior in Europe, not even designo.

The CL600 SFA was just a designo White released early, the S600 SFA was a designo Mocha with piano trim.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
The problem with the Saks editions (especially true with the most exclusive models except the SLR), is that those colors became available as designo options shortly therafter. In this case, the Sahara/Black interior is a standard order interior in Europe, not even designo.

The CL600 SFA was just a designo White released early, the S600 SFA was a designo Mocha with piano trim.

Which supports why I haven't been a designo fan. Kind of a rip off for the early adopters (in some cases).
I would rather have an S63 than a designo.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:17 AM

2010 S600 sold
Originally Posted by trumpet1
Which supports why I haven't been a designo fan. Kind of a rip off for the early adopters (in some cases).
Real good insight guys! However if I had my choice, I would prefer the S63 with the designo.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I love designo, it makes these cars look and feel the way they were intended to IMO. Just because the SFA editions are not worth it should not negatively impact your opinion of designo.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:53 AM

1953 Fiat Topolino
The bad and the good...

News like this (see links below) about massive MB production cuts due to falling demand in face of the global economic crisis will probably guarantee that you will find deals on just about any model (including '09 Saks S550 Edition) at your local dealer.

http://wot.motortrend.com/6293305/au...its/index.html

Add this one:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081025...ovm5.V6SCyBhIF

Lurking problem ahead is if MB Financial still will have the availability of credit (extended to them and, in turn to their customers) to continue with its aggressive leasing program, including many of its subsidized money factor rates & optimistic residuals which greatly helped it move many of its products in our market and is part of their past success. But for the cash buyer, he will be king.

And continuing on the topic of Designo, I agree with Untertürkheim. There are few vehicle's interiors more elegant that an attractive Designo pkg. MB for our US market limits the number of Designo we can order. But that is not true for other markets and they are the better off for it. For example, MB Canada allows you still to order an S63 with a Designo Armagnac interior in Exclusive Leather (formerly seen in the '07 Espresso Edition S class in the US) which is drop dead gorgeous! Saludos, Z356.

Last edited by Z356; 10-26-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:41 PM

2008 S63 2005 996 Turbo S, 2006 Sennia XLE Limited AWD
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
I love designo, it makes these cars look and feel the way they were intended to IMO. Just because the SFA editions are not worth it should not negatively impact your opinion of designo.
+1 I am a big fan of designo. Although it is not worth the money. But the black/grey/beige are too bore and we should have more variety of choice.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
News like this (see link below) about massive MB production cuts due to falling demand in face of the global economic crisis will probably guarantee that you will find deals on just about any model (including '09 Saks S550 Edition) at your local dealer.

http://wot.motortrend.com/6293305/au...its/index.html

Add this one:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081025...ovm5.V6SCyBhIF

Lurking problem ahead is if MB Financial still will have the availability of credit (extended to them and, in turn to their customers) to continue with its aggressive leasing program, including many of its subsidized money factor rates & optimistic residuals which greatly helped it move many of its products in our market and is part of their past success. But for the cash buyer, he will be king.

And continuing on the topic of Designo, I agree with Untertürkheim. There are few vehicle's interiors more elegant that an attractive Designo pkg. MB for our US market limits the number of Designo we can order. But that is not true for other markets and they are the better off for it. For example, MB Canada allows you still to order an S63 with a Designo Armagnac interior in Exclusive Leather (formerly seen in the '07 Espresso Edition S class in the US) which is drop dead gorgeous! Saludos, Z356.

That is truly sobering to read.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:32 PM

1953 Fiat Topolino
MB S63: You are too modest. Let me put it this way, yours is the nicest S63 I have ever seen (see links below)! Congratulations! Now, if MBUSA would allow us some latitude here too with Designo like they do with you in Canada, we would be a more attractive country...in terms of vehicles on our roads.

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...9&d=1212690911

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...1&d=1212690911

Trumpet1: I am sure you are well aware of the bad situation that GM, Ford and Chrysler have found themselves in here in North America. But the economic landscape for the European auto industry is also in dire shape. So much of the latter's success has been their ability to sell big volumes into our affluent luxury market. Our economic crisis, which is now turning into a world-wide pandemic, is seriously going to reshape the European auto industry since there will be few other 'healthy' emerging markets to pick up the slack. If indeed the music has stop for now and every available chair has been taken (as in the kid's game of musical chairs), at least I am happy that my last big purchase was a 2007 CL600 (black/cognac & black interior) with an extended factory warranty (100K miles/7 years in total) and that I also recently negotiated a subsidized lease on a new 2009 E350 Sport 4Matic for my Colorado second home. These two modern vehicles (I don't count the collector's car that I infrequently use) will hopefully tie me over until we are able to sing 'Happy Days Are Here Again!" (a mellifluous ghost of our last 'big' economic downturn in the 30's). Still, I am concerned about the future of the massive & extremely expensive to maintain Benz dealer infrastructure that has been built in our country and which we depend to service/warranty our MB cars into the future. Same goes for BMW, Porsche, VW/Audi and the others. Let's see how this whole thing shakes out. Z356

Last edited by Z356; 10-26-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
MB S63: .......at least I am happy that my last big purchase was a 2007 CL600 (black/cognac & black interior) with an extended factory warranty (100K miles/7 years in total) and that I also recently negotiated a subsidized lease on a new 2009 E350 Sport 4Matic for my Colorado second home. .......
I can't believe you said that. I was thinking the exact same thing as I was reading the woes of Dr. Z. . We may be more fortunate than initially thought owning our vehicles.

I was also thinking about how much money my dealership and MB are spending on showroom renovations to accomodate the new Smart cars. Their is a campaign going on across the country to make all MB showrooms look as much alike as possible. I'm sure this is just placing more hardships on these guys. At least MB has an econo car to diversify their market.

One more thing that I just noticed yesterday is that my dealership no longer has a Maybach area on the floor. Probably no market for it here and they lost that segment of sales. Atlanta might, but not Birmingham.

Last edited by trumpet1; 10-26-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
MB S63: You are too modest. Let me put it this way, yours is the nicest S63 I have ever seen (see links below)! Congratulations! Now, if MBUSA would allow us some latitude here too with Designo like they do with you in Canada, we would be a more attractive country...in terms of vehicles on our roads.

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...9&d=1212690911

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...1&d=1212690911

Trumpet1: I am sure you are well aware of the bad situation that GM, Ford and Chrysler have found themselves in here in North America. But the economic landscape for the European auto industry is also in dire shape. So much of the latter's success has been their ability to sell big volumes into our affluent luxury market. Our economic crisis, which is now turning into a world-wide pandemic, is seriously going to reshape the European auto industry since there will be few other 'healthy' emerging markets to pick up the slack. If indeed the music has stop for now and every available chair has been taken (as in the kid's game of musical chairs), at least I am happy that my last big purchase was a 2007 CL600 (black/cognac & black interior) with an extended factory warranty (100K miles/7 years in total) and that I also recently negotiated a subsidized lease on a new 2009 E350 Sport 4Matic for my Colorado second home. These two modern vehicles (I don't count the collector's car that I infrequently use) will hopefully tie me over until we are able to sing 'Happy Days Are Here Again!" (a mellifluous ghost of our last 'big' economic downturn in the 30's). Still, I am concerned about the future of the massive & extremely expensive to maintain Benz dealer infrastructure that has been built in our country and which we depend to service/warranty our MB cars into the future. Same goes for BMW, Porsche, VW/Audi and the others. Let's see how this whole thing shakes out. Z356
Thanks for posting those pix as well. That is a beautiful combination. One of the reasons I probably have very little thoughts of designo is because I never get to see examples of them (internet or in person). Maybe if I saw more samples of these gorgeous cars I would get hooked.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by MBS63
+1 I am a big fan of designo. Although it is not worth the money. But the black/grey/beige are too bore and we should have more variety of choice.
My wife had a white, pano roof, 2006 E55 that had 12,000 miles on it. I took my SL55 in for a routine service and made the mistake of walking onto the showroom floor. There it was in all its splendor a Designo white S550 with the AMG sport package and pano roof. The porcelain interior was mind boggling and perhaps the most beautiful interior that MB has ever made. Needless to say much to my wife's dismay the car was in our garage the next weekend. I know that the price tag on a Designo edition will not hold its value but it is worth every penny just looking at it.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:25 AM

2011 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by lkirchner
My wife had a white, pano roof, 2006 E55 that had 12,000 miles on it. I took my SL55 in for a routine service and made the mistake of walking onto the showroom floor. There it was in all its splendor a Designo white S550 with the AMG sport package and pano roof. The porcelain interior was mind boggling and perhaps the most beautiful interior that MB has ever made. Needless to say much to my wife's dismay the car was in our garage the next weekend. I know that the price tag on a Designo edition will not hold its value but it is worth every penny just looking at it.

hehe nice, one day il do that photos?
Old 10-27-2008, 08:45 AM

2008 S63 2005 996 Turbo S, 2006 Sennia XLE Limited AWD
..... One of the reasons I probably have very little thoughts of designo is because I never get to see examples of them (internet or in person). Maybe if I saw more samples of these gorgeous cars I would get hooked.
Let's get hook ... Here is a link that was posted by a member bofore. I found out that those pic change once a while. So keep the link.

http://translate.google.com/translat...6rlz%3D1I7HPIA
Old 10-27-2008, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
I have to say that the diamond white paint is gorgeous, just not too fond of the "oyster" interior. They do come nicely equipped, basically a P3 package w/out night vision.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by MBS63
Let's get hook ... Here is a link that was posted by a member bofore. I found out that those pic change once a while. So keep the link.

http://translate.google.com/translat...6rlz%3D1I7HPIA

Thanks for the link. Got me to thinking. Maybe MBWorld needs to have a sub forum for Designo owners.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:11 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Blk04cobra1
I have to say that the diamond white paint is gorgeous, just not too fond of the "oyster" interior. They do come nicely equipped, basically a P3 package w/out night vision.
wowza...beautiful...
Old 10-27-2008, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That is one of the most comprehensive designo albums I have seen.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:36 AM

'05 S500, '07 s550, '08 ML350, '08 Designo s550
If you have seen a Mercedes with Designo options in person, you would NEVER want to buy one without it. Personally i LOVE my designo white and would never purchase another Mercedes without a Designo package. It truly makes the car unique.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by SonnyJ
If you have seen a Mercedes with Designo options in person, you would NEVER want to buy one without it. Personally i LOVE my designo white and would never purchase another Mercedes without a Designo package. It truly makes the car unique.
I have to agree with you 1000%. I feel the same way with my wife's Designo white.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Originally Posted by lkirchner
I have to agree with you 1000%. I feel the same way with my wife's Designo white.
I also tend to agree with both of you.
Designo adds that final touch to the looks (interior & exterior).
The big problem I see is - MB marketing or rather lack of it.
What can you tell from tiny swatch 3/4" x 3/4" ?
Luckily for all of us, these colors, all MB colors look much better in real world than on the picture or website (color calibration???).
So unless you are lucky enough to see your colors pick on the dealer's floor you are on unchartered teritory playing crapshoot.
So:
MB USA.........nice Designo Brochure ?
MB USA.........more profitable sales ?
Mark.

Last edited by Red Marko; 10-28-2008 at 02:34 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Saks Fifth Avenue