S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Sirius "Acquiring Signal" problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 08:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2022 S580
Sirius "Acquiring Signal" problem

I've had my '08 S550 for about 8 weeks now. My Sirius constantly goes out with the "acquiring signal" issue. Called Sirius a few times, they send me a new signal which mostly doesn't help.

Took the car in for it's 1st service last week, the service manager said all the connections were tight to the antenna, and he said he did a software update. The Sirius worked steady for about a week, then got that dreaded "acquiring signal" again.

Today, I noticed when I would make a hard turn, the Sirius would come on for about 5 seconds. Then pulled over and slightly banged on the antenna with my hand, the music came on, and stayed on for the rest of my trip.

Is anyone else with a '08 S550 having this issue? Does the antenna need replacing? My service mgr evidently doesn't know how to fix my problem.

Can I gain access to the antenna connection? I don't see how the plastic top comes off. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by hhankk
I've had my '08 S550 for about 8 weeks now. My Sirius constantly goes out with the "acquiring signal" issue. Called Sirius a few times, they send me a new signal which mostly doesn't help.

Took the car in for it's 1st service last week, the service manager said all the connections were tight to the antenna, and he said he did a software update. The Sirius worked steady for about a week, then got that dreaded "acquiring signal" again.

Today, I noticed when I would make a hard turn, the Sirius would come on for about 5 seconds. Then pulled over and slightly banged on the antenna with my hand, the music came on, and stayed on for the rest of my trip.

Is anyone else with a '08 S550 having this issue? Does the antenna need replacing? My service mgr evidently doesn't know how to fix my problem.

Can I gain access to the antenna connection? I don't see how the plastic top comes off. Thanks.

This was discussed last week in this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...es-sirius.html
Old 12-02-2008, 02:51 PM

2022 S580
Thanks for the reply. However, i think my problem is a bit different.

Yesterday, I lost Sirius signal 3 times while driving. Each time, I stopped the car, tapped the top of the antenna, and the music immediatley came back.

I just wondered if anyone else has this particular problem. My dealer is over 60 miles away, and I'd like to know what to tell him. This is an intermittent problem, and I'd like to get it resolved with just 1 more visit.

At the last service, they told me all the connections to the antenna were tight. While they had the car, the "acquiring signal" never came on, (of course).
Old 12-02-2008, 03:25 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Thanks for the reply. However, i think my problem is a bit different.

Yesterday, I lost Sirius signal 3 times while driving. Each time, I stopped the car, tapped the top of the antenna, and the music immediatley came back.

I just wondered if anyone else has this particular problem. My dealer is over 60 miles away, and I'd like to know what to tell him. This is an intermittent problem, and I'd like to get it resolved with just 1 more visit.

At the last service, they told me all the connections to the antenna were tight. While they had the car, the "acquiring signal" never came on, (of course).
I certainly get the "acquiring signal" issue frequently. However I also drive through streets with a lot of large trees (and even one tunnel) which make excellent signal blockers. At times however Sirius is almost impossible to listen to because of the break ups... I wish they buffered the signal more effectively (or for longer) so at least if there is a drop out it will "catch up"... The whole system is too sensitive or prone to loss of signal... Never had to get out and tap the antenna though.. I have never even thought of it...

Chris
Old 12-02-2008, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
I certainly get the "acquiring signal" issue frequently. However I also drive through streets with a lot of large trees (and even one tunnel) which make excellent signal blockers. At times however Sirius is almost impossible to listen to because of the break ups... I wish they buffered the signal more effectively (or for longer) so at least if there is a drop out it will "catch up"... The whole system is too sensitive or prone to loss of signal... Never had to get out and tap the antenna though.. I have never even thought of it...

Chris
I've noticed the same thing Chris and I too drive through a very tree laden set of streets around my home.

What is weird is how sometimes I can go under a large freeway bridge and I don't get a drop out of the signal and then there are times I go under a small 2 lane size bridge and the signal drops out entirely. Seems to be no consistent pattern.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:53 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by trumpet1
I've noticed the same thing Chris and I too drive through a very tree laden set of streets around my home.

What is weird is how sometimes I can go under a large freeway bridge and I don't get a drop out of the signal and then there are times I go under a small 2 lane size bridge and the signal drops out entirely. Seems to be no consistent pattern.
I see this also. It is amazing how one tree leaf or twig seems to have all the signal blocking power of a 3 foot thick slab of solid lead...

There must be some kind of buffer because when I drive on the 24 through the Caldicot Tunnels (right through the Oakland Hills) the signal normally cuts off about 4 to 5 seconds into the tunnel. That small margin may explain what you are seeing. (You would not be as long under a freeway bridge) Unfortunately Sirius does not seem to buffer for any longer than this.... anyone know more about this?

Chris
Old 12-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,439 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
My dealer is over 60 miles away, and I'd like to know what to tell him. This is an intermittent problem, and I'd like to get it resolved with just 1 more visit. At the last service, they told me all the connections to the antenna were tight. While they had the car, the "acquiring signal" never came on, (of course).
If the malfunction continues, request the shop foreman open an EDAC case. This will provide a diagnostic guide and allow for MBUSA monitoring as well as authorization for part replacement – mention DTB P-B-82.60/426c.

Trending Topics

Old 12-03-2008, 11:03 AM

2022 S580
Thanks, I will do that. How can I find out more about "DTB P-B-82.60/426c"? I'm not sure what that is.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,439 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Thanks, I will do that. How can I find out more about "DTB P-B-82.60/426c"? I'm not sure what that is.
PM your email address and I will forward a copy. If you want a MB datacard listing your vehicle's equipment and paint codes, initial delivery date, etc. include your VIN.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't afford
The antenna might be loose. They did not check it, as the headliner has to be removed to get to it.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by Satan
The antenna might be loose. They did not check it, as the headliner has to be removed to get to it.
Yes. Believe me , I know. Question to the OP, did you back into your garage door?

That's the way I "loosened" mine.