S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Headlight going out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Headlight going out

This past weekend as I was driving home from a Christmas party, I noticed a flickering ahead of me being produced by my headlights. I was hoping for the best and that it was just a fluke but it did it again as I drove home from work tonight. I even pulled over and got out of the car and looked at it from the front to verify that it is the left headlight. The bulb is very hazy compared to the right one. I have already mentioned before on the forum and to my service tech that my left head light housing has always held water after going through the touchless car wash or even if I wash it at home. It has done it since brand new. Looks like it may be finally causing a problem. I'm almost due to go in for my service C so hopefully I can get that problem knocked out at the same time.
Has anyone had a problem yet with their headlight bulbs? Has anyone ever replaced one by yourself? I will not be attempting it since it is under warranty but I'm just curious if anyone has tackled this before. I'm sure the adaptive headlights would be tricky to work on.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I'm not expecting a bulb go any time before I have at least twice the mileage today and your car is new compared to mine. Changing bulbs isn't difficult, just that one has to be careful with the xenon bulbs.

The problem anyway must be from the water entering the light unit.

I always wash my car myself (not that often unfortunately) and I often rinse it with a power washer and I've never had an issue with water entering the lights.

The dealer may claim that power washer can do this and to some extent I would agree if the washer was not properly used (I have no idea how the touchless car wash works, it could be different from my "manual" washer). Still this should be very unlikely.

You might let them check that all the bulb covers at the back of the light unit are properly in place. If they are, perhaps the glass is not well "glued" and leaks water. They probably should replace the whole light unit.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I'm not expecting a bulb go any time before I have at least twice the mileage today and your car is new compared to mine. Changing bulbs isn't difficult, just that one has to be careful with the xenon bulbs.

The problem anyway must be from the water entering the light unit.

I always wash my car myself (not that often unfortunately) and I often rinse it with a power washer and I've never had an issue with water entering the lights.

The dealer may claim that power washer can do this and to some extent I would agree if the washer was not properly used (I have no idea how the touchless car wash works, it could be different from my "manual" washer). Still this should be very unlikely.

You might let them check that all the bulb covers at the back of the light unit are properly in place. If they are, perhaps the glass is not well "glued" and leaks water. They probably should replace the whole light unit.

I agree. The whole housing should be replaced because a month ago I saw another owner drive up at the dealership with the exact problem I have....a left headlight housing with water in it. I even brought it to the tech's attention and pointed it out. I told my tech I'm having the same problem. Funny thing is, I said "its not giving me any problems". Now I realize I jinxed myself making that comment. I really do believe Murphy's laws are practically gospel.

Last edited by trumpet1; 12-09-2008 at 07:29 AM.