S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Mercedes-Benz Introduces New SPLITVIEW COMAND Display For The S-Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E420
Mercedes-Benz Introduces New SPLITVIEW COMAND Display For The S-Class

You may be wondering what magic lies behind the SPLITVIEW system, and the answer lies in pixel placement. The COMAND screen shows two different images simultaneously by placing pixels adjacent to one another, after which a filter masking the display divides this mixed image so that depending on seating position, either one image or the other can be seen.

http://emercedesbenz.com/Dec08/10_00...e_S_Class.html
Attached Thumbnails Mercedes-Benz Introduces New SPLITVIEW COMAND Display For The S-Class-10_mercedes_benz_splitview_technologys.jpg  
Old 12-11-2008, 12:48 AM

2015 S550 4Matic, AMG Sports Pkg, White/Black
Cool

I sure hope that will be a software upgrade..but I doubt it We'll just have to buy the new model.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by EinMD
I sure hope that will be a software upgrade..but I doubt it We'll just have to buy the new model.
SW cannot change the physical properties of the display:

You may be wondering what magic lies behind the SPLITVIEW system, and the answer lies in pixel placement. The COMAND screen shows two different images simultaneously by placing pixels adjacent to one another, after which a filter masking the display divides this mixed image so that depending on seating position, either one image or the other can be seen.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
SW cannot change the physical properties of the display:

As neato as that is , it's not something I'm going to trade a car for. I really don't get that much use of my DVD viewing mod as it is. We used it on the Thanksgiving trip (my wife watched a movie and thoroughly loved the sound and picture quality), but I can't really see why they've pursued a technology like this pixel trick. The only time it would be nice , which would be rare for us, is if I needed to see (and not hear) the nav screen while the passenger is engrossed in a movie. We're beginning to go a little overboard with some techno gadgetry IMO. Just like I NEVER use the night vision. Just not practical. I can't truly pay attention to my driving if I have to quickly alternate looking at a screen then back to the front repeatedly. And you certainly can't just look at the screen and drive (I almost get dizzy like).

BTW, I have just recently noticed that when listening to music , I like my sound system better with the Logic 7 turned OFF. The bass and all around midsection seems leaner and punchier. Just my opinion of course.

Now with movies, Logic 7 surround sound is GREAT!
Old 12-11-2008, 11:09 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Not a feature that interests me...I almost never use my car's nav feature or stereo anyway....

Am far more intrigued by all the smarter, new, active safety tech that '10 S/CL will have...and to see how much of that stuff will make it to US, e.g., Intelligent Headlamp System of CLs never reached US, though std in EU since late '06

BTW, was pleased to find that my '09 CL has a change in instrument panel software from '07-'08 versions....when one sets display to, for ex., digital speedo, car recalls this upon any future start-ups, so one doesn't need to remember to reset display upon every start-up....subtle ergonomic change that I find far more useful in driving on any roads w/speed limits...
Old 12-12-2008, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 E63 Obsidiant Black; '06 R350 Alabaster White; 05 C55 Obsidiant Black (sold)
It'd be a nice feature combined with the new MyCOMAND system tho