S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Command Controller Question..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 01:55 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Command Controller Question..

I have a simple question about the Command Controller wheel... I notice that when I am switching between Audio channels (Sat, Aux, FM etc) it often (but not always) seems that I have to either click twice or hold down continuously for a second or so to immediately go to the new selected audio channel... For example I can be listening to Sat and go to Aux... I click on the wheel and it remains on Sat. When I go to Aux again and click a second time it then changes to Aux. One way around this it seems is to just hold the Controller down for a little longer so it "catches" on the new audio channel. I hope this description makes sense?

It has always been like this since I bought the car and I have always assumed it is how the Command Controller works. Perhaps I am just too impatient and quick with my hand actions? All other selections work fine and it does not feel or seem that there is anything wrong with the Controller itself. I am not seeing any inconsistent behavior to indicate a fault.

Having to select and click twice for changing an Audio channel does not seem quite efficient however and I am wondering if it is like this for everyone else?

Chris
Old 01-13-2009, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 S550, 08 E63
I only click once on my command wheel, however, most of the time I use the voice command.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:31 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Doesn't sound as if your controller is working properly
Old 01-13-2009, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I'm not sure if I got it right, and we don't have the sat radio in Europe but even if you were listening to sat radio but if another Comand menu was active (like the phone or navigation) and you then use the Comand controller to select the audio menu, that selection is supposed to bring the "current audio source menu".

If you already are at the current audio source menu, then the Comand controller selection should bring the selection list where you can scroll to the entry you want.

Now I did not even know that one could use the "long press" to make Comand go directly to the source selection list. That sounds very clever actually since from the single menu selection you would have two options to choose, then a short press brings a different options from a long press. I'll have to try this (perhaps it even is written in the manual).
Old 01-13-2009, 03:40 PM

2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
If you already are at the current audio source menu, then the Comand controller selection should bring the selection list where you can scroll to the entry you want.
Yes it will do that Diesel. I can be on Sat... I select Audio and then scroll down the selection list to Aux and when I click it stays on Sat. When I (re) click on Audio and scroll down the selection list to Aux again it then changes to Aux as it should do first time. If this happens I only ever need to select twice. I have never had to select three times or anything that would suggest there is a mechanical fault in the controller wheel.

Also it only seems to do this when I have not changed in a while. I am wondering if it is is because the existing selection is "tied" in some way.

Chris
Old 01-13-2009, 03:53 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
I don't often use Audio functions but often use seat massage func...controller action in my use seems rather seamless and intuitive

May want to sample a new S/CL at local dealer to see if controller operation is different from your copy, but, from my read of your descrip, something sounds amiss
Old 01-13-2009, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
I have a simple question about the Command Controller wheel... I notice that when I am switching between Audio channels (Sat, Aux, FM etc) it often (but not always) seems that I have to either click twice or hold down continuously for a second or so to immediately go to the new selected audio channel... For example I can be listening to Sat and go to Aux... I click on the wheel and it remains on Sat. When I go to Aux again and click a second time it then changes to Aux. One way around this it seems is to just hold the Controller down for a little longer so it "catches" on the new audio channel. I hope this description makes sense?

It has always been like this since I bought the car and I have always assumed it is how the Command Controller works. Perhaps I am just too impatient and quick with my hand actions? All other selections work fine and it does not feel or seem that there is anything wrong with the Controller itself. I am not seeing any inconsistent behavior to indicate a fault.

Having to select and click twice for changing an Audio channel does not seem quite efficient however and I am wondering if it is like this for everyone else?

Chris
I think you've just described something that I think I have been noticing all along as well but never had the gumption (is that a word?) to mention.

And Diesel is right. If this is the way to go about it , I will try it , see if it works for me too, and report back. Good thread.

Trending Topics

Old 01-13-2009, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Nope. Just went out to my car to attempt to duplicate what you're saying and mine doesn't behave as you've explained it Chris. Or maybe I don't know exactly what it is you're saying.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by WSH
I don't often use Audio functions but often use seat massage func...controller action in my use seems rather seamless and intuitive

May want to sample a new S/CL at local dealer to see if controller operation is different from your copy, but, from my read of your descrip, something sounds amiss

Good point! Yes that is the obvious thing to try. Everything works fine for my seat massage functions, telephone controls, navigation etc. As said there does not appear anything mechanical or procedurally wrong.

It only seems to manifest itself when changing Audio selections and in particular when going to Aux... I am starting to ponder whether it might be some peculiarity with the way my iPod is hooked up through the MB kit... Like it takes a second to "hook up" properly (perhaps because it is in a standby mode or something) and send a signal back to the Command Controller that it has successfully done so.

It is not that big a deal. In fact I have lived with it for over a year with no inconvenience at all... its just one of those microscopically small irritating things that is working its way slowly to the surface.

Chris
Old 01-13-2009, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by trumpet1
Nope. Just went out to my car to attempt to duplicate what you're saying and mine doesn't behave as you've explained it Chris. Or maybe I don't know exactly what it is you're saying.
Thanks Trumpet. Yes it does not always happen to me either. However you will know it when it happens. Simply, it is sometimes you have to select an audio function twice to get it to change. If that has never happened to you, if every time it changes from one audio selection to another first time 100% consistently, then it may be some peculiarity of my car.

Chris
Old 01-14-2009, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I also tried what I can without having the sat radio but I agree with others that it should give the list of Audio source options if you already are at the sat radio mode. I guess I misunderstood the "long press on comand controller", I did not any difference when doing that instead of a short press.

Considering that there are buttons for the main selection groups at the front of the comand controller, I actually find the menu driven "group selection" redundant. I mean if you are at navigation for example and want to get the radio menu, it would come from the shortcut button. If I decide to use the comand controller instead, I would not mind getting the list of audio sources even if I was coming from Navigation mode. Of course an extra step if you really want to change from navigation to the "current audio source menu". Pretty much a matter of opinion.

The double-selection once you already are at one of the audio menus sounds like a fault anyway.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
Has anyone else experience problems with the Command Control Knob? My control knob stop scrolling. I can push up, down, left, right and in but the scrolling feature has stop working. Example, when I'm looking at the map, i can not zoom in or out and when screen is in radio function i can not scroll through stations. Has anyone had this problem other than taking car in for repair, which I will do next week. Just wanted an heads up of what could be the problem.