S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Swirl mark removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Swirl mark removal

A few weeks ago, I did something stupid out of a rush of time and washed my car in a car wash with the high pressure sprayer and the foam brush. The foam brush was my mistake. A few days later on a sunny day, I noticed how scratched up my paint looked in certain lighting, you know, the dreaded swirl marks. So this weekend I had some time on my hands and I decided I should see if I could get rid of the swirl marks and since I had not waxed any of my cars in a few years, I thought I'd get up close and personal with my car's exterior since it appears I'll be keeping this one for a few more years.

I went to Advance Auto Parts and bought an 8" buffer and I also bought a bottle of Maguiars Colorx polish creme.

I washed the car thoroughly using the two bucket system (one with soap and water and one with just water to keep the microfiber wrag clean).

Now here is where I got excited. I used the Maguiars Colorx creme and buffed the car one section at a time using the hand held buffer. I always wipe off the creme BEFORE it dries. The reason I like to go ahead and remove the creme before it dries is because I feel that the dried paste could act as an abrasive and scratch the paint and maybe even blister the paint while struggling to remove it from the car. Then after I finished buffing the whole car, I attached a new and unused buffer pad onto the buffer , I also sprayed a tad of Maguiars Exterior Detail spray on the car and used the spare buffer to go back over the area for a final polish, using also a new dry microfiber to dry everything off. I've never seen this paint glisten with beauty like this since new. I highly recommend this technique. It removes swirl marks, rain and hard water buildup and stain and it truly does bring out the color as advertised on the bottle.

Now I'm searching for something to get rid of the haze from the chrome trim around our windows. It seems to be a layer of oxidation that just won't come off.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 S550 with AMG Sport Pkg
Originally Posted by trumpet1
A few weeks ago...

Now I'm searching for something to get rid of the haze from the chrome trim around our windows. It seems to be a layer of oxidation that just won't come off.
Try Griots Garage No Scratch Chrome Polish (8 Ounces )
From their website...
I've been horrified at other polishes I've tested. Some left minute scratches in the chrome that resembled swirl marks usually associated with paint! Griot's Garage Chrome Polish will not introduce any additional swirl marks or scratches and is easy to apply and take off. In test comparisons, Chrome Polish required the least amount of effort and produced superior results. A safe way to polish your chrome.

http://www.griotsgarage.com
Attached Thumbnails Swirl mark removal-polish.jpg  
Old 01-28-2009, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by JohnH4260
Try Griots Garage No Scratch Chrome Polish (8 Ounces )
From their website...
I've been horrified at other polishes I've tested. Some left minute scratches in the chrome that resembled swirl marks usually associated with paint! Griot's Garage Chrome Polish will not introduce any additional swirl marks or scratches and is easy to apply and take off. In test comparisons, Chrome Polish required the least amount of effort and produced superior results. A safe way to polish your chrome.

http://www.griotsgarage.com

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550 / S430 / E320
A few weeks ago, I did something stupid out of a rush of time and washed my car in a car wash with the high pressure sprayer and the foam brush. The foam brush was my mistake. A few days later on a sunny day, I noticed how scratched up my paint looked in certain lighting, you know, the dreaded swirl marks. So this weekend I had some time on my hands and I decided I should see if I could get rid of the swirl marks and since I had not waxed any of my cars in a few years, I thought I'd get up close and personal with my car's exterior since it appears I'll be keeping this one for a few more years.

I went to Advance Auto Parts and bought an 8" buffer and I also bought a bottle of Maguiars Colorx polish creme.

I washed the car thoroughly using the two bucket system (one with soap and water and one with just water to keep the microfiber wrag clean).

Now here is where I got excited. I used the Maguiars Colorx creme and buffed the car one section at a time using the hand held buffer. I always wipe off the creme BEFORE it dries. The reason I like to go ahead and remove the creme before it dries is because I feel that the dried paste could act as an abrasive and scratch the paint and maybe even blister the paint while struggling to remove it from the car. Then after I finished buffing the whole car, I attached a new and unused buffer pad onto the buffer , I also sprayed a tad of Maguiars Exterior Detail spray on the car and used the spare buffer to go back over the area for a final polish, using also a new dry microfiber to dry everything off. I've never seen this paint glisten with beauty like this since new. I highly recommend this technique. It removes swirl marks, rain and hard water buildup and stain and it truly does bring out the color as advertised on the bottle.

Your car is painted with a nano particle clear-coat. Much more resistant to scratches then Mercedes paints prior to 2004. I have always had an 040 black Mercedes and being somewhat of a fanatic about the finish, like to think I know how to get the best results. If you have a orbital polisher, I would highly recommend the Menzerna polishes especially formulated for Mercedes nano paint. These are the polishes they use in the factory. Use the Final Polish II followed by the P0106FA. The Final Polish II has a stronger cut than the P0106FA. But the shine and depth you will see after using the P0106FA can't be beat. I apply them using green "German" pad and my orbital polisher. The polish disolves itself as you apply it leaving very little residue - hard to explain. Follow the polishing with an application of Menzerna FMJ or Klasse.You can purchase these items here among other places -

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo...gerbespol.html

I also recommend using a Boar's hair brush for normal washing.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by NJS430
Your car is painted with a nano particle clear-coat. Much more resistant to scratches then Mercedes paints prior to 2004. I have always had an 040 black Mercedes and being somewhat of a fanatic about the finish, like to think I know how to get the best results. If you have a orbital polisher, I would highly recommend the Menzerna polishes especially formulated for Mercedes nano paint. These are the polishes they use in the factory. Use the Final Polish II followed by the P0106FA. The Final Polish II has a stronger cut than the P0106FA. But the shine and depth you will see after using the P0106FA can't be beat. I apply them using green "German" pad and my orbital polisher. The polish disolves itself as you apply it leaving very little residue - hard to explain. Follow the polishing with an application of Menzerna FMJ or Klasse.You can purchase these items here among other places -

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo...gerbespol.html

I also recommend using a Boar's hair brush for normal washing.
I just did my black SL55 last weekend. For the first time I used the Super Intensive Polish (the SIP) followed by 106FF. The SIP is truly incredible, finishes beautifully and has a great cut. It is so impressive that when I followed with the 106ff there was little difference. Also I swithched from a Porter Cable machine to the Flex DA---night and day difference.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:44 PM

S550 / S430 / E320
Originally Posted by lkirchner
I just did my black SL55 last weekend. For the first time I used the Super Intensive Polish (the SIP) followed by 106FF. The SIP is truly incredible, finishes beautifully and has a great cut. It is so impressive that when I followed with the 106ff there was little difference. Also I switched from a Porter Cable machine to the Flex DA---night and day difference.
The 106fa is the improved version of the 106ff. I believe the Super intensive polish is the non-nano version of the same. The final polish II is the heavy cut nano product. It gets confusing - you can pull the info on all of the products from the Menzerna website.

I use a Porter Cable and the new 3" polisher from Griots Garage to do the smaller areas and bumpers . I'll look into the Flex DA.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:42 PM

S550 / S430 / E320

In answer to your original question... the best metal polish I have ever used is PS21S metal polish. Amazing stuff.