S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

iPod question on 2009 S550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 11:49 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
W222 S63 AMG
iPod question on 2009 S550

I have just bought a 2009 S550 4-Matic with AMG sport kit, Premium 3 and iPod. Absolutely loving the car.

I do have one question - I am having trouble with pausing the iPod either manually or when a call comes in.

I listen to a lot of audiobooks so losing my place is a real pain. Muting doesn't pause the ipod and incoming phone calls don't seem to pause it either (?). Only way I have found to pause iPod is to turn audio off from the Audio menu or by switching inputs (e.g. go to FM). However this is hard to do when a phone call is coming in without hanging up on the caller.

Anyone else with this system got any tips or tricks for a newbie?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails iPod question on 2009 S550-img_0964.jpg  
Old 04-01-2009, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bimmer
Sorry, don't have any help on your question, but do you mind PM'ing me details of the deal you got on your car? I've been looking to get a similarly spec'd car.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:08 PM

W222 S63 AMG
You have mail.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S550 4matic
Originally Posted by Mandingo
I have just bought a 2009 S550 4-Matic with AMG sport kit, Premium 3 and iPod. Absolutely loving the car.

I do have one question - I am having trouble with pausing the iPod either manually or when a call comes in.

I listen to a lot of audiobooks so losing my place is a real pain. Muting doesn't pause the ipod and incoming phone calls don't seem to pause it either (?). Only way I have found to pause iPod is to turn audio off from the Audio menu or by switching inputs (e.g. go to FM). However this is hard to do when a phone call is coming in without hanging up on the caller.

Anyone else with this system got any tips or tricks for a newbie?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the world of iPod hell we've all been suffering through. You want proper functionality of an iPod, apparently MBUSA thinks we should have bout C classes. How can you market a majro new feature such as the new Command interface, and then not have properly integrated an iPod interface with it Mercedes!?
Old 05-02-2009, 01:57 PM

W222 S63 AMG
Pausing iPod

I spent some time trying the PCMCIA/CF route - it has the advantage of pausing properly for phone calls etc BUT has the major disadvantage of not remembering your place if you move off the mp3 track (switch to radio for example). So I am listening to an audiobook, ~4 hours in, if I switch to the radio and come back it plays the book from the begining again.

In the end I have come back around to the iPod which will always remember your position on each file (assuming you have set that option in iTunes).

I have discovered the iPod will pause if you:-

a) Select Audio Off from the drop down menu in the COMAND interface
b) Use voice command "Audio Off"
c) Switch to a different input (e.g. FM)
d) Toggle the ON (power) button for the whole COMAND system on the center console (the button above the volume wheel)

For most situations hitting the ON button (d above) does the job just fine but it switches off the entire system (except Climate) so it won't help if you are on the phone.

So this is where I have netted out:-

1) If I just need to pause the iPod quickly I use the ON button
2) If the phone rings I answer the call and quickly go to the audio menu and switch audio off

Not perfect, but workable.
Attached Thumbnails iPod question on 2009 S550-pause.jpg