S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trade in your S-Class for a Hyundai Genesis?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:06 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
Sorry
No prob
Old 04-27-2009, 11:18 PM
KA8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
It's kinda funny. This thread sorta proves how far Hyundai has come. If they didn't make decent enough cars this thread wouldn't exist. There's a rumor Genesis will be separate sub-brand. Can't wait till they release the Equus (Genesis Prestige) in couple of yrs. That thing is suppose compete with S-class and Lexus LS.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:08 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by KA8
It's kinda funny. This thread sorta proves how far Hyundai has come. If they didn't make decent enough cars this thread wouldn't exist. There's a rumor Genesis will be separate sub-brand. Can't wait till they release the Equus (Genesis Prestige) in couple of yrs. That thing is suppose compete with S-class and Lexus LS.
I saw pics of that. Not too crazy about its styling personally but I can see it being a hit. It takes a lot of cues from German Luxo cars like the Genesis, incorporating some gimmicks and lines that M-B has been using (like the "Ponton" rear fender flare that they've used on the GLK and new E-Class).

I think the name Genesis is a poor choice, especially for a full line. Just not a classy name.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Very interesting thread.

First off, anyone that is seriously thinking about a S-Class (i.e. can actually afford one) isn't going to buy a Hyundai. Of course there are exceptions, but you're talking about something rarer then hen's teeth. Such a buyer would have never paid 85K+ for anything to begin with. Idiotic to even thing such a thing.

Now one who bought a used S550 and can't keep up with the cost of owning/driving it will be one to trade a S-Class in on a mere Hyundai.

Everyone keeps talking about Lexus and what they did back in 1990. Well this isn't 1990. Unlike 1990 Mercedes and BMW aren't the only game in town. Mercedes like in 1990 builds arguably the best luxury car around, but this time around it is arguable that BMW and Lexus are right there in many ways. Then there is Acura, Infiniti and Cadillac in the lower ranks. Way tougher market now compare to 1989.

Then unlike Toyota's Lexus, Hyundai is selling luxury cars out of the same dealers that sell "regular" cars.....some luxury car buyers (the real ones) won't dare set foot in a Hyundai dealership.

This Genesis is done to impress the leather/wood/sunroof/nav/ crowd and the leather dash seals the deal. The fact that a Hyundai has these things only proves what I've said all along, any car can have these things.

Meanwhile at worst it doesn't drive worth a damn, especially when the road twists and turns or has bumps...at best it simply doesn't drive like a German/British car. Design couldn't be more generic and derivative.

I know I'd rather be in a Mercedes in an accident as opposed to a car designed to pass lab crash tests vs real world testing/after crash collection of their vehicles.

On the plus side it gives more people the chance to experience what they think is a true luxury car and it has a lot of the ingredients, but at the end of the day its just a spec sheet, not an experience.

Lets face it, it is just that..the experience is why you buy a Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, etc. etc...not their reliability or low price.

If Lexus couldn't knock off Mercedes-Benz and BMW what in world makes anywhere here think Hyundai will? They won't. They'll take a share of the market and the more expensive cars will just get better for it.

One thing I like about this whole Genesis thing is that they're sticking it to Lexus in the same manner Lexus did to Mercedes and Lexus has less to cling to than Mercedes did back when Lexus debuted.

I'd say that if you can't tell the difference between a Mercedes E-Class or S-Class an Hyundai then you're make for the Hyundai or better yet a Lexus.

M
Old 04-28-2009, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BENZO
kinda

Originally Posted by Germancar1
Very interesting thread.

First off, anyone that is seriously thinking about a S-Class (i.e. can actually afford one) isn't going to buy a Hyundai. Of course there are exceptions, but you're talking about something rarer then hen's teeth. Such a buyer would have never paid 85K+ for anything to begin with. Idiotic to even thing such a thing.

Now one who bought a used S550 and can't keep up with the cost of owning/driving it will be one to trade a S-Class in on a mere Hyundai.

Everyone keeps talking about Lexus and what they did back in 1990. Well this isn't 1990. Unlike 1990 Mercedes and BMW aren't the only game in town. Mercedes like in 1990 builds arguably the best luxury car around, but this time around it is arguable that BMW and Lexus are right there in many ways. Then there is Acura, Infiniti and Cadillac in the lower ranks. Way tougher market now compare to 1989.

Then unlike Toyota's Lexus, Hyundai is selling luxury cars out of the same dealers that sell "regular" cars.....some luxury car buyers (the real ones) won't dare set foot in a Hyundai dealership.

This Genesis is done to impress the leather/wood/sunroof/nav/ crowd and the leather dash seals the deal. The fact that a Hyundai has these things only proves what I've said all along, any car can have these things.

Meanwhile at worst it doesn't drive worth a damn, especially when the road twists and turns or has bumps...at best it simply doesn't drive like a German/British car. Design couldn't be more generic and derivative.

I know I'd rather be in a Mercedes in an accident as opposed to a car designed to pass lab crash tests vs real world testing/after crash collection of their vehicles.

On the plus side it gives more people the chance to experience what they think is a true luxury car and it has a lot of the ingredients, but at the end of the day its just a spec sheet, not an experience.

Lets face it, it is just that..the experience is why you buy a Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, etc. etc...not their reliability or low price.

If Lexus couldn't knock off Mercedes-Benz and BMW what in world makes anywhere here think Hyundai will? They won't. They'll take a share of the market and the more expensive cars will just get better for it.

One thing I like about this whole Genesis thing is that they're sticking it to Lexus in the same manner Lexus did to Mercedes and Lexus has less to cling to than Mercedes did back when Lexus debuted.

I'd say that if you can't tell the difference between a Mercedes E-Class or S-Class an Hyundai then you're make for the Hyundai or better yet a Lexus.

M
i dont think you are getting the argument, yes that is what you pay for but HAVE YOU driven the car or been in one. i venture to say no as you basically paraphrased the articles you have read. hyundai makes a good car, accept that, they do most of the manufacturing and business in a country that allows them to save money on every aspect of the process, the US and Europe are all expensive places to live and build cars.

No Hyundai cant make a mercedes or lure a 90k owner to a genesis the point is that it is a good car and you are only sounding like someone who is "prejudiced" against the name....
Old 04-28-2009, 09:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 S550
The resale on the Genesis is going to be horrible. It may be a nice car, but most people that walk into a Hyundai dealership are not looking to spend $40K.

It's really not if it is a nice car but how Hyundai has marketed themselves since they have been in business. People expect a lower priced car. Bottom line is that they are a cheap brand. Sorry, but that is the truth.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:23 PM
KA8

2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by softgenious
The resale on the Genesis is going to be horrible. It may be a nice car, but most people that walk into a Hyundai dealership are not looking to spend $40K.

It's really not if it is a nice car but how Hyundai has marketed themselves since they have been in business. People expect a lower priced car. Bottom line is that they are a cheap brand. Sorry, but that is the truth.
Well MB's aren't good at resale value game either. After 3 yrs of ownership our C230 lost $22K in value not including all the interest we're paying on the loan... Ouch! Next yr it going to run out of warranty, another OUCH! Not too many keep their benz's w/o warranty. I think Hyundai has better resale value than MB's.

Sounds like some people expect v8 genesis to cost $25K or something because it's a Hyundai.

Last edited by KA8; 04-28-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:36 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

My E stickered at over $60K, in two years it lost half its value. 2 year old W221's are also going for about half their new values. I think it's safe to say that a higher priced Benz will lose roughly 50% in value in 2 years (at least in the current Economic State). Same goes for BMW, etc.

I'll bet the Genesis will have pretty rough resale too simply because it's a Hyundai that's selling for about $40K new, but on the flip side, in a year or two they will be the BEST Used bargain out there.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:52 PM

07 S550
Originally Posted by K-A
My E stickered at over $60K, in two years it lost half its value. 2 year old W221's are also going for about half their new values. I think it's safe to say that a higher priced Benz will lose roughly 50% in value in 2 years (at least in the current Economic State). Same goes for BMW, etc.

I'll bet the Genesis will have pretty rough resale too simply because it's a Hyundai that's selling for about $40K new, but on the flip side, in a year or two they will be the BEST Used bargain out there.
I agree with you.

Purchased my S550 for around 45% off original price. It is still like new and I enjoy driving it but who know how long I will keep it. It is still under the original warranty and if I decide to hang onto it I will purchased the extended warranty.

The Genesis is a nice car but it is still a Hyundai. In 2 years it would be a nice car in the low $20K range.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:01 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Agreed.

Actually once the Genesis gets into the $20K range, and with that huge Warranty behind it, it will be a helluva Used car to get. Right now I'm looking for a newer and reliable/relatively nice "beater" per-se, something to rack miles on, and I so wish I could get a Genesis for the high teens/low 20's.

But yeah, the resale on M-B's is a bitter-sweet thing, bitter for those who bought them new, and sweet for those of us who wait a year or two .... That is until another year or two passes and we lose another 50%
Old 04-28-2009, 05:12 PM

07 S550
Originally Posted by K-A
Agreed.

Actually once the Genesis gets into the $20K range, and with that huge Warranty behind it, it will be a helluva Used car to get. Right now I'm looking for a newer and reliable/relatively nice "beater" per-se, something to rack miles on, and I so wish I could get a Genesis for the high teens/low 20's.

But yeah, the resale on M-B's is a bitter-sweet thing, bitter for those who bought them new, and sweet for those of us who wait a year or two .... That is until another year or two passes and we lose another 50%
If my S550 drops 50% in the next year, I'll buy another. You usually loose the most during the first 2-3 years then it levels off. Mine has low miles and is mint so it should not drop to drastically. I'm going to enjoy it and most likely hang onto it. If you are going to keep it, why worry about resale.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:22 PM

CLS63, GLK350
I agree with you.

Purchased my S550 for around 45% off original price. It is still like new and I enjoy driving it but who know how long I will keep it. It is still under the original warranty and if I decide to hang onto it I will purchased the extended warranty.

The Genesis is a nice car but it is still a Hyundai. In 2 years it would be a nice car in the low $20K range.

WOW 45% off new MSRP

Last edited by SL2003driver; 04-28-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by Pacific NW Guy
i dont think you are getting the argument, yes that is what you pay for but HAVE YOU driven the car or been in one. i venture to say no as you basically paraphrased the articles you have read. hyundai makes a good car, accept that, they do most of the manufacturing and business in a country that allows them to save money on every aspect of the process, the US and Europe are all expensive places to live and build cars.

No Hyundai cant make a mercedes or lure a 90k owner to a genesis the point is that it is a good car and you are only sounding like someone who is "prejudiced" against the name....

That is the problem, there is no argument. You do indeed get what you pay for and I've been in the car many times, don't care to drive it. Why would I need to? They can't duplicate the way a Mercedes drives. The Hyundai is a good car, yes if you look at the spec sheet vs the dollar amount, but on the finer points it will never match a S-Class. End of story.

I couldn't care less about all that manufacturing mumbo jumbo. We all know they can build a comparable car for cheaper, but you're only fooling yourself if you think they've duplicated the S-Class for less than half the price. All the price savings in the world aren't going to erase the fact that Hyundai's are designed to a specific price point and to pass lab crash test vs real world like a Mercedes.

I'd gladly drive a Genesis coupe, but I wouldn't drive a wannabe luxury car in its first edition and I wouldn't pay 40K for a new Hyundai luxury sedan. Next generation after the car proves itself and doesn't look like a collage of everything else on the road and maybe so.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 04-28-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:05 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

So today I went and drove both a V6 and V8 Genesis, and hopped across the street to the M-B Dealer to drive an '07 S550 with the AMG Package immediately afterward. My friend who just bought a Nissan GTR is in the market for a second car which is where the Genesis comes in.

Both of us were THOROUGHLY impressed with the Genesis. My personal observation of it after driving both the S and Gen back to back is the Genesis is carefully crafted as a poor mans S-Class.

After driving both you get the feeling the W221 is the "real deal" version, but the Genesis is nothing to scoff at. Even the nit-picky materials are impressive, they definitely put some thought and R&R into the car. It doesn't feel as sporty or tight as the 221, and the V8 doesn't pull as hard in the upper RPM's, but it has a super smooth and gliding, serene ride. Very comfy and plush Leather inside, and the interior smells like a nice plush Luxury car. The interior is super impressive, even coming from a nit-picky M-B owner who looks at all the little nooks and crannies here and there.

On a side note, M-B is a tricky company sometimes, with all the natural progress they make with new models, they seem to find these little areas to save money and cut costs on. Such as the lower bumper-grille material on the AMG W221 bumpers, it's this CHEAP honey-comb-ish flimsy plastic, my pre-face lift W211 has a quality authentic glossy metal material in the same place. Also on the interior A-Pillars, the trim on my 211 is this classy "fuzzy" like material that give a very luxurious vibe, it seems like every '07+ M-B, face-lifted W211 and W221 included use this more "mass-produced" like spongy-ish textured material that says "durability" more than it does the fuzzier materials "luxury". Even the door pins on the face-lifted W211 is this cheap rough edged thin plastic piece, compared to the pre-face-lifted much more elegant sprouting-rounded and chrome ringed pieces.

Just some nit-picking and sorry for going O/T.

Last edited by K-A; 04-29-2009 at 03:09 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:11 AM

07 S550
WOW 45% off new MSRP
I wish, I purchased it used with 18K miles.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:20 AM

07 S550
WOW 45% off new MSRP
I believe you also wrote this then deleted it.

"I think I beat you on this deal. I bought my CL new for 28% off MSRP and I can buy the extended warranty if I want to when the 4 year 50K mile warranty is getting ready to expire you can't since you bought used. Advantage new car buyer."

WRONG again. You can buy a new car warranty anytime up to expiration. I already have a price from a Mercedes dealer on the MB USA Care Premium coverage for a 7/75 or 7/100 warranty. Just trying to decide which way to go because I may trade or sell the car. Just not sure as of yet what to do. I would also bet that I am paying much less then you did for your CL warranty. It pays to know people.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:04 AM

CLS63, GLK350
I believe you also wrote this then deleted it.

"I think I beat you on this deal. I bought my CL new for 28% off MSRP and I can buy the extended warranty if I want to when the 4 year 50K mile warranty is getting ready to expire you can't since you bought used. Advantage new car buyer."

WRONG again. You can buy a new car warranty anytime up to expiration. I already have a price from a Mercedes dealer on the MB USA Care Premium coverage for a 7/75 or 7/100 warranty. Just trying to decide which way to go because I may trade or sell the car. Just not sure as of yet what to do. I would also bet that I am paying much less then you did for your CL warranty. It pays to know people.
I wrote that and then deleted after rereading your post since it sounded like you bought it new after I reread your post. My car had a MSRP of $118K and I paid $88K, so I got $30K off, it had 23 miles on it when I bought it. I know if you buy your MB new you can extend the warranty beyond the 4 year 50K miles anytime before it expires. I understood that unless your car is a CPO purchase that is the only way you can get an extended MB warranty. All others are after market. If this is not true you will make a lot of owners very happy, please give everyone more information. Thanks
Old 04-29-2009, 10:07 AM

07 S550
I wrote that and then deleted after rereading your post since it sounded like you bought it new after I reread your post. My car had a MSRP of $118K and I paid $88K, so I got $30K off, it had 23 miles on it when I bought it. I know if you buy your MB new you can extend the warranty beyond the 4 year 50K miles anytime before it expires. I understood that unless your car is a CPO purchase that is the only way you can get an extended MB warranty. All others are after market. If this is not true you will make a lot of owners very happy, please give everyone more information. Thanks
As stated, I checked it out. If I keep the car, I'll purchase the MB USA warranty.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:55 PM

BENZO
impressive

Originally Posted by K-A
So today I went and drove both a V6 and V8 Genesis, and hopped across the street to the M-B Dealer to drive an '07 S550 with the AMG Package immediately afterward. My friend who just bought a Nissan GTR is in the market for a second car which is where the Genesis comes in.

Both of us were THOROUGHLY impressed with the Genesis. My personal observation of it after driving both the S and Gen back to back is the Genesis is carefully crafted as a poor mans S-Class.

After driving both you get the feeling the W221 is the "real deal" version, but the Genesis is nothing to scoff at. Even the nit-picky materials are impressive, they definitely put some thought and R&R into the car. It doesn't feel as sporty or tight as the 221, and the V8 doesn't pull as hard in the upper RPM's, but it has a super smooth and gliding, serene ride. Very comfy and plush Leather inside, and the interior smells like a nice plush Luxury car. The interior is super impressive, even coming from a nit-picky M-B owner who looks at all the little nooks and crannies here and there.

On a side note, M-B is a tricky company sometimes, with all the natural progress they make with new models, they seem to find these little areas to save money and cut costs on. Such as the lower bumper-grille material on the AMG W221 bumpers, it's this CHEAP honey-comb-ish flimsy plastic, my pre-face lift W211 has a quality authentic glossy metal material in the same place. Also on the interior A-Pillars, the trim on my 211 is this classy "fuzzy" like material that give a very luxurious vibe, it seems like every '07+ M-B, face-lifted W211 and W221 included use this more "mass-produced" like spongy-ish textured material that says "durability" more than it does the fuzzier materials "luxury". Even the door pins on the face-lifted W211 is this cheap rough edged thin plastic piece, compared to the pre-face-lifted much more elegant sprouting-rounded and chrome ringed pieces.

Just some nit-picking and sorry for going O/T.
this response proves the point more than anything anyone could say, you actually drove a HYUNDAI and then went and drove a s550 as a comparison. hyundai has come a long way and makes a good, if not great, car!

thanks for the honest and intelligent remarks! good stuff.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:41 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Thanks! Yeah, that does indeed say a lot
Old 04-30-2009, 06:38 AM

2007 s600 2007 cls63
I understood that unless your car is a CPO purchase that is the only way you can get an extended MB warranty. All others are after market.
As one dealer explained it to me before, as long as you purchased the vehicle NOT from a MB dealer, MBUSA has no record of ownership change (granted there's only one previous owner). Purchase the extended warranty under the original owners name (whoever took initial delivery) and after say about 3weeks, in which time the extended warranty info has entered into MBUSA database, call MBUSA and tell them about the ownership transfer. They will do it over the phone and now the warranty is under your name. Now the only downside to this is if the original owner knew about the extended warranty purchase before the 3week period before the transfer took place, he/she can actually call MBUSA and request a FULL refund (since the warranty is still under his/her name at that particular time)

This is what the dealer explained to me and it is what I did. Checked with my local dealer with my vin and the extended warranty info came up (and transfered under my name).
Old 05-01-2009, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
This is to all of you K-A, KA8 and other loyal defenders of "legendary" Hyundai.
In this case - Elantra.
Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPVw4nfESz0
Old 05-01-2009, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by markopolo
This is to all of you K-A, KA8 and other loyal defenders of "legendary" Hyundai.
In this case - Elantra.
Enjoy.

THAT was funny!
Old 05-01-2009, 06:43 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

^^ Yeah I've seen that before, funny indeed.

Hey I'm not bowing to the throne of the almighty "H" or anything, but I am being a realist. I've never been into automotive fanboy-isms.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:41 PM
KA8

2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by markopolo
In this case - Elantra.
Enjoy.

Good one I like it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trade in your S-Class for a Hyundai Genesis?