S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

New S600 Brakes, 6-piston or same as current?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche, Aston Martin, Chevrolet
New S600 Brakes, 6-piston or same as current?

Afternoon all,

From some of the official pictures MB has released showing the new 2010 S600, it appears as if they have finally stepped up and put proper 6-piston AMG style brakes on the V12s. Is this braking system going to come to the US or is it going to stay only in Europe. I also have reason to believe that they are coming to the US considering Car and Driver recently reviewed the new 2010 S550/600 and commented on how strong the new 600 brakes were and how their feel was also great. Anyone input on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

AMG1

Here is the article:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review
Old 06-21-2009, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Thanks. These are some of the first real pictures I've seen of the 2010
Old 06-21-2009, 07:22 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Good observations; I had also noticed that and agree w/your speculation; given US buys vast majority of MB/AMG V12s sold globally, highly unlikely any new tech brakes wouldn't come to US

Noticed the front brake calipers of 600 are much larger than the C-Class-like calipers of 550...and the focus seems to be on more precise steering (DirectSteer), ABC, stability control, etc; would presume tire choices for 600 will also be more perf/precision-oriented for better steering/handling and braking distances

For MY10, AMG is now offering a $2K option to allow one to spec specific brand of factory-spec perf tires (e.g., Yoko or Conti for CL65), and cars are specially aligned/balanced at VPC upon arrival in US (apparently, dealers lack the high-precision alignment/balancing machines at VPCs)

Seems like emphasis at MB and AMG is increasingly on precise chassis/brakes/tires, etc....great to see this rapidly evolving tech
Old 06-21-2009, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
WSH,
You mentioned different tire offering (Yoko or Conti). You didn't mentioned Pilot Sports.
Yoko - I hear are really catching up
Contis - I know are crap. After I switched from Contis to Pilots, I realized that Contis (especially on AMG) shouldn't be offered.
If you, like I have certain curvy roads we know and like to test our cars to the limit (still safe), the shock of Michelins superiority is immediate and obvious. They stick to the road and don't let go!

As for dealerships not having time/proper training/proper equipment to align and balance the car, I highly agree.
I happened to me (Not once).