S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Risk of parking on the street

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by markopolo
Gentelmen,
Thank you all for your support

As i promised, I have an update.
So, the car has been fixed. Light replaced and fender changed.
It took the body shop 5 days. In the meanwhile I had to ride a rental Mitsubishi Endeavor 4x4.
Total horror. I almost crushed it first morning. Silly me, sharp turn and force of habit of driving (ABC) CL.

Big question to my member friends:
The car definitely seems to sit higher than before.
I know that, they most likely disconnected the battery or took the fuse out while changing the light.
Something happened and the chassis is raised.
Can I lower the car by myself? (diagnostic mode or something)
Or I have to visit the dealer and let them do it thru Star Diagnostic computer?
From the pix , it looks like they did a great job on the repair.
I noticed in the pix the wide fender gap even before I read your post. I would imagine if you tried to lower it via the dash button and had no luck that it would have to be adjusted at the shop.

Thanks for the great update. I know you're glad to have 'er back.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
Car looks awesome!
Glad you have it back; sorry you had to be in this situation in the first place...
Old 08-12-2009, 08:55 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
Lowering ride height back to normal

Your vehicle has a switch immediately to the left of the nav display which raises or lowers the ride height. The legend looks like a car with an arrow pointing upward in the middle of it. Try pressing it while the vehicle is idling. It the vehicle was in the raised position, this should cause it to lower.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jag XKR
Originally Posted by steveb9771
Your vehicle has a switch immediately to the left of the nav display which raises or lowers the ride height. The legend looks like a car with an arrow pointing upward in the middle of it. Try pressing it while the vehicle is idling. It the vehicle was in the raised position, this should cause it to lower.
THATS where it is! Could not find the raising switch for the S/CL class anywhere! Had problems when trying to get that thing towed for brake service.

Thanks alot!
Old 08-13-2009, 02:54 AM

W221 s65 , w220 s55
Well,
Usually I don't do that (almost never).
It was one of those 2 minutes moment in Manhattan. Quick out for coffee and in to work.
Not this time...

Like Forrest Gump says - ***** happens.
Not a biggie. Not this time.
Funny part comes later. I went to authorized (by Mercedes Benz) body shop, aluminum work, high end spray booths, etc and I've got detailed estimate.

My jaw dropped - over $5,100. For this?
I wonder what my insurance company reaction will be

Ouch!

How often do you guys park on the street and riks it ???

first of all congrats on getting the car back.....but man that sucks...some ******* can just **** up ur car....i read in ur post u were parked at 72st and 3rd ave in manhattan....i work at 74st and 1st ave and lemme tell u something...im amazed how some ppl just dont give a **** about someone else stuff...im like cmon look what ur hitting....for this reason i seldom take my s55 to the city...whenever i do im worried that some freakin cab driver will pull up next to my car and the idiot getting out of it will bang the door on the car...im sayin this cuz this actually happened 5 days ago while i was still sitting in the car...thank god no damage...i have learned my lesson as my other car ..drive an m35 infiniti to work is all banged up on the doors frm these cab drivers....i absolutely hate it...sorry for the long post....this just pisses me off...lack of consideration.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Originally Posted by trumpet1
From the pix , it looks like they did a great job on the repair.
I noticed in the pix the wide fender gap even before I read your post. I would imagine if you tried to lower it via the dash button and had no luck that it would have to be adjusted at the shop.

Thanks for the great update. I know you're glad to have 'er back.
Yes, I missed the car a lot.
I feel like all of us are doomed, in a nice way.
It would be very difficult to adjust to something lesser quality/ride/joy/safety etc.
I tried, of course to play with up/down dash button to no avail.
The pictures I shot are in lower setting. The car looked comical in higher setting.

Originally Posted by QuadBenz
Car looks awesome!
Glad you have it back; sorry you had to be in this situation in the first place...
Thank you.

Originally Posted by steveb9771
Thank you for the suggestion, that's the first thing I tried.

Originally Posted by rockykhan
first of all congrats on getting the car back.....but man that sucks...some ******* can just **** up ur car....i read in ur post u were parked at 72st and 3rd ave in manhattan....i work at 74st and 1st ave and lemme tell u something...im amazed how some ppl just dont give a **** about someone else stuff...im like cmon look what ur hitting....for this reason i seldom take my s55 to the city...whenever i do im worried that some freakin cab driver will pull up next to my car and the idiot getting out of it will bang the door on the car...im sayin this cuz this actually happened 5 days ago while i was still sitting in the car...thank god no damage...i have learned my lesson as my other car ..drive an m35 infiniti to work is all banged up on the doors frm these cab drivers....i absolutely hate it...sorry for the long post....this just pisses me off...lack of consideration.
You are correct, some people don't give a *****, more so, I think the whole incident could be easily avoided, meaning somebody has done this on purpose.
Long time ago WSH said that, these nicks and scratches should be considered as a "Warrior scars".
And that's how I look at them.
Warrior scars

Originally Posted by AustinGuy
Man! That's the reason I park a mile away (not literally) from where I need to be. Esp. grocery stores, malls and other high traffic areas that get frequented by a fair amount of idiots - some of whom are envious. Yeah, that's true...Even in the TX heat. I literally have nightmares about this sort of thing happening to me.

My wife laughs at me when I park 100 yds. away from the grocery entrance. You know what - 2 months ago she got a pretty good smack on her Lexus when it was parked in one of them premium spots 10 yds. from the mall entrance. You know who was laughing then? Well yeah..... - until I had to pay the deductable

Regardless, NYC is a dump IMO - I used to live in Boston for a few yrs. I literally used to shudder driving through Manhattan, Queens. It's almost like all the degenerates from the entire U.S end up there. Worse still it's like people there drive with some sort of vengence. It's like they WANT to be a$$ holes. Not that that had anything to do with your car but it sure looks like classic NY trash.

I feel for ya man!

Group hug?
Austin,
is Group e-hug ok?

Anyway,
regarding the height of the car.
It's fixed.
I went to my MB preferred SA, tipped him my usual $100, fifteen minutes later, my car sits at the normal height.
SA told me something about re-coding (after power loss) via Star Diagnostisc computer.
I'm happy
Old 08-15-2009, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
it's just a car......dont fret about the damage....glad u got it fixed and are whole again
Old 08-16-2009, 02:45 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Markopolo, congrats on getting your 600 back

As a car fanatic and having served my time in Manhattan early in my career, I can empathize with how irritating this episode may have been

Despite many years of getting new cars every 6mos (all of which served as daily commuter cars), I still "strategically" choose where I will park and how I tip valets to watch my car; I can live with a few small rock chips from spirited driving in twisties or on a fast fwy, but door dings and sloppy stuff due to others' inability to drive or lack of respect for property irritates me greatly

Prevention is best approach but obviously near impossible in Manhattan (or most places) without spacious, controlled, private parking....such is life...car nuts like us are a small, much maligned minority...and life is too short to drive a "beater" car for daily use; for me, a relaxing daily pleasure is to drive a new 65 to office everyday, even at low urban speeds...do my best to prevent parking incidents and just get new cars frequently....all my cars get micro rock chips from my fun wkend driving in a few K mis, but I've managed to avoid any dings/scuffs in CA to-date
Old 08-16-2009, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by WSH
Markopolo, congrats on getting your 600 back

As a car fanatic and having served my time in Manhattan early in my career, I can empathize with how irritating this episode may have been

Despite many years of getting new cars every 6mos (all of which served as daily commuter cars), I still "strategically" choose where I will park and how I tip valets to watch my car; I can live with a few small rock chips from spirited driving in twisties or on a fast fwy, but door dings and sloppy stuff due to others' inability to drive or lack of respect for property irritates me greatly

Prevention is best approach but obviously near impossible in Manhattan (or most places) without spacious, controlled, private parking....such is life...car nuts like us are a small, much maligned minority...and life is too short to drive a "beater" car for daily use; for me, a relaxing daily pleasure is to drive a new 65 to office everyday, even at low urban speeds...do my best to prevent parking incidents and just get new cars frequently....all my cars get micro rock chips from my fun wkend driving in a few K mis, but I've managed to avoid any dings/scuffs in CA to-date
What blows my mind is how I can park way out away from a store , no car anywhere near me, yet when I come out to my car, there will be this one damn car parked right next to me!!! What gives??
Old 08-17-2009, 07:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What blows my mind is how I can park way out away from a store , no car anywhere near me, yet when I come out to my car, there will be this one damn car parked right next to me!!! What gives??
Very true observation. Funny but annoying. It happens to me quite often also.
Maybe our cars are like subconscious magnets to others?
Or people just lonely on an empty parking lot?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:13 AM

my wife wild, but she loves every minute of it.
Very true observation. Funny but annoying. It happens to me quite often also.
Maybe our cars are like subconscious magnets to others?
Or people just lonely on an empty parking lot?
I've seen this too. People do stupid things, Markopolo. That's how we ended up with Obama.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:20 PM

10 S550 4matic Palladium, 12 G550 Edition Select Silver, 10 BMW 128i Cabrio Blue Water
Gentelmen,
Thank you all for your support

As i promised, I have an update.
So, the car has been fixed. Light replaced and fender changed.
It took the body shop 5 days. In the meanwhile I had to ride a rental Mitsubishi Endeavor 4x4.
Total horror. I almost crushed it first morning. Silly me, sharp turn and force of habit of driving (ABC) CL.

Big question to my member friends:
The car definitely seems to sit higher than before.
I know that, they most likely disconnected the battery or took the fuse out while changing the light.
Something happened and the chassis is raised.
Can I lower the car by myself? (diagnostic mode or something)
Or I have to visit the dealer and let them do it thru Star Diagnostic computer?
I meant to mention this sooner. The colour on your vehicle is amazing, I can only imagine how much better it must look in person. I have designo Graphite on my car, but it basically looks like the flint grey.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 13pauls
I meant to mention this sooner. The colour on your vehicle is amazing, I can only imagine how much better it must look in person. I have designo Graphite on my car, but it basically looks like the flint grey.
Thanks for your nice comment
You are right, this particular color changes a lot in direct sunlight, especially at dusk. I absolutely love it!

Btw, all MB colors look much better in person
Old 08-28-2009, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Thanks for your nice comment
You are right, this particular color changes a lot in direct sunlight, especially at dusk. I absolutely love it!

Btw, all MB colors look much better in person
Very classy indeed! If you have a chance, please post some more pictures
Old 08-28-2009, 02:40 PM

2005 Range Rover HSE, 2008 BMW M3 Cab d/c, 2010 GL550 (wifes), 1993 Porsche 928GTS 32kmi garage quee
This DOES happen a lot. I think the thought process is they want to park next to a nice car assuming the owner will not let a door hit their car as apposed to parking next to rent a wreck who's owner is not paying attention to much of anything. I.E. Cigarette and Big Gulp in one hand, talking on cell phone in the other, with screaming baby strapped to her chest. Flinging the door open as is slams against the next car and not even noticing or caring...... Um there is a nice Mercedes....park next to that.

Marco congrats on the fix! Looks good. Did an authorized MB facility do the work? What did you drive in the interim? How did it feel to get back into yours?
Old 09-03-2009, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Very sorry to see this. I understand the gut-wrenching feeling you've got as I would feel very cross if someone did this to one of my vehicles.

I sincerely hope it never happens again. Best of luck my friend.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vonbeeler
Marco congrats on the fix! Looks good. Did an authorized MB facility do the work? What did you drive in the interim? How did it feel to get back into yours?
I went to authorized (by Mercedes Benz) body shop, aluminum work, high end spray booths, etc and I've got detailed estimate.
In the meanwhile I had to ride a rental Mitsubishi Endeavor 4x4.
To answer your third question, it felt absolutely ....
back home, fantastic.
Having this car, V12TT, I'm not bragging, maybe just a bit, I can't imagine driving anything else less torque-immersing vehicle. I'm doomed, in a very positive way.
Micro-adrenaline-rush every time I press the accelerator. Tease others on the Interstate? I'm guilty as charged.
I urge (in a very positive way) everybody, who is not ready to buy 600,
don't test drive the car if you are not ready to buy it.
It is that much addictive!

Originally Posted by patrick_y
Very sorry to see this. I understand the gut-wrenching feeling you've got as I would feel very cross if someone did this to one of my vehicles.

I sincerely hope it never happens again. Best of luck my friend.
Thank you for best wishes,

...hoping it won't happen again...

deep down, we all know, it will happen again.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
I urge (in a very positive way) everybody, who is not ready to buy 600,
don't test drive the car if you are not ready to buy it.
It is that much addictive!
I like that quote. Very accurate description of the situation.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:53 PM

10 S550 4matic Palladium, 12 G550 Edition Select Silver, 10 BMW 128i Cabrio Blue Water
Originally Posted by Jen_Kenne
I've seen this too. People do stupid things, Markopolo. That's how we ended up with Obama.
Do not insult our Commander in Chief! (yeah, he is responsible for everything even though he has been in office for only 8 months) He has momental task ahead of him trying to undue the insanity of the past 8 years under GW. You would rather have McCain and who, Palin, now that is FUNNY! What is REALLY stupid is how blind people like you are.