S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Engine clicking/tapping sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'09 S63 AMG
Engine clicking/tapping sound

I noticed a pretty loud clicking/tapping sound from the main engine area today when I was pulling out of my garage.

I haven't driven the car in 10 days - not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Any ideas?
Old 07-13-2009, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jag XKR
Its a problem with engines

To be honest I do not know what causes it, I just know that since you have an 09 S63, it has to do with the engine, and therefore is tricky and very expensive to replace if you try anything funny and alter the engine, and is something that people DO NOT want to see on service records/carfaxes when reselling a car, you should take that into your MB dealer / trusted mechanic and get it fixed.

Just my .02
Old 07-13-2009, 11:48 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Search forum for threads from ?9-18 mos ago; IIRC, known issue w/63 motor is noisy ?valve tappets on some motors esp when cold; no real solution

I recall reading that the 63 motor has ~30% new or modified parts in the iteration being placed in SLS; presumably these bugs will be addressed via these changes
Old 07-14-2009, 12:13 AM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by WSH
Search forum for threads from ?9-18 mos ago; IIRC, known issue w/63 motor is noisy ?valve tappets on some motors esp when cold; no real solution

I recall reading that the 63 motor has ~30% new or modified parts in the iteration being placed in SLS; presumably these bugs will be addressed via these changes
Thanks.

Well, the car has only 2000 miles on it even though it's almost 11 months old! I guess I've hardly driven it.....

The odd thing is that when I last drove it I didn't notice the tapping/knocking sound. Could be that I didn't have the windows rolled down but today (10 days after I last drove it) I had the windows down and heard the sound.... Actually, the tapping sound has always been there (even on my last S550) but today it was pretty loud.

A few other things to note: it's been hot here for the last month - almost 40+ straight days of 107+ degree heat!! Also, have not taken it for any sort of service since I bought it.... is that okay?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:27 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
IIRC, the noise issue is more annoying than anything else; occurs more w/cars not driven often (a common issue w/any perf car is some glitches are worse w/disuse and/or lack of "spirited" driving)

Chk your dash computer readout (?Asyst) re: when svc needed; generally, would vote for svc after 11mos, no matter miles, as would want fresh oil and filter and overall inspection of car (and any s/w updates)...it's only ~$250 and would do it unless getting a new '10 in next few wks

Also, want to follow official mtce guidelines to avoid warranty being voided/litigated for lack of proper mtce
Old 07-14-2009, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
I'm assuming the noise went away after a few minutes?

If so, your lash adjusters and tensioners probably bled down.

No big deal.

Drive the bloody thing more!!!!!
Old 07-14-2009, 02:10 PM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by Oliverk
I'm assuming the noise went away after a few minutes?

If so, your lash adjusters and tensioners probably bled down.

No big deal.

Drive the bloody thing more!!!!!
No the noise did not go away. But then I didn't really drive it. All I did was start, pull it out of the garage and leave it sitting outside in 108 deg. heat for about 1 hr. I then started it back up to park it back into the garage and noticed the sound. So I left it running/idling for about 1-2 mins. That's it.

I'll take it out for a spin today and see what happens. In the meantime I'll call MB and see what the tech has to say.

Again........... the car only has 2000+ miles - 11 months old
Old 07-14-2009, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Originally Posted by AustinGuy
No the noise did not go away. But then I didn't really drive it. All I did was start, pull it out of the garage and leave it sitting outside in 108 deg. heat for about 1 hr. I then started it back up to park it back into the garage and noticed the sound. So I left it running/idling for about 1-2 mins. That's it.

Austin,
is this the way you drive this car?
No wonder it has only 2000mi. on it.

I'm still laughing

Sorry, it is a cheap shot but you left yourself wide open
Old 07-14-2009, 10:11 PM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by markopolo
[/B]

Austin,
is this the way you drive this car?
No wonder it has only 2000mi. on it.

I'm still laughing

Sorry, it is a cheap shot but you left yourself wide open
Marko - yeah I know it sounds funny but...... I travel a lot sometimes and so I only get to drive the car 1-2 times a week! Hopefully that will change in a few months/weeks as I stop travelling.

But, yeah - that's no way to treat a car that screams to get pounded. Actually sometimes I just feel like stepping on the gas and getting 4 speeding tickets in quick succession
Old 07-15-2009, 12:54 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
AG, anecdotally most perf cars that have stupid glitches tend to be garage queens that develop motor nonsense issues from disuse or flat spots in tires (and tire balance/dynamics issues) from a >4700lb 63/65 sitting around (not to mention tire rubber decays w/age despite few miles)

Can empathize about not being around to drive car as I would travel a lot earlier in my career; these days, I have a <2 mi drive to office (wish I had a 35mi SF-MenloPk daily commute on my favorite fwy) but find plenty of time on wkend AMs to drive ~10-15K mis/yr on my 65 in local mtn twisties

$150K+ perf cars depreciate furiously, no matter how few miles, but if one really enjoys driving 'em, would argue AMGs are awfully cheap forms of daily entertainment (and transport), esp in the new frugal world of staycations
Old 07-15-2009, 04:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by WSH
AG, anecdotally most perf cars that have stupid glitches tend to be garage queens that develop motor nonsense issues from disuse or flat spots in tires (and tire balance/dynamics issues) from a >4700lb 63/65 sitting around (not to mention tire rubber decays w/age despite few miles)

Can empathize about not being around to drive car as I would travel a lot earlier in my career; these days, I have a <2 mi drive to office (wish I had a 35mi SF-MenloPk daily commute on my favorite fwy) but find plenty of time on wkend AMs to drive ~10-15K mis/yr on my 65 in local mtn twisties

$150K+ perf cars depreciate furiously, no matter how few miles, but if one really enjoys driving 'em, would argue AMGs are awfully cheap forms of daily entertainment (and transport), esp in the new frugal world of staycations
The 101??? Its so coarse and bumpy. My CLS rides like crap on it, but then again its a corolla compared to the benzes you drive lol.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:44 PM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by WSH

There are quite a few twisty roads in Austin. Just do a google maps look up on "Bee Caves Rd". Nice and twisty. In fact, that's where the true beauty of handling in an S63 comes to fruition. I can literally take turns at 90-95 mph without any body roll whatsoever.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by AustinGuy
There are quite a few twisty roads in Austin. Just do a google maps look up on "Bee Caves Rd". Nice and twisty. In fact, that's where the true beauty of handling in an S63 comes to fruition. I can literally take turns at 90-95 mph without any body roll whatsoever.
If you really want to have some fun, go to bee creek road or lime creek rd
Old 07-17-2009, 03:25 AM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by Donovan386
If you really want to have some fun, go to bee creek road or lime creek rd
Damn! Looks nasty

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/roads/tx_lcr.html
Old 07-17-2009, 03:27 AM

'09 S63 AMG
BTW - just to let everyone know - that clicking sound disappeared! It now almost sounds as smooth as a silk lined engine (kind 'a like the 750iL )....

Guess it was probably bec. I hadn't driven the car in a few days

Last edited by AustinGuy; 07-17-2009 at 04:13 PM.