S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Cracked my front bumper and side skirt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 S550, 08 E63
Cracked my front bumper and side skirt

Over the weekend a flying piece of tired attacked me!!!! It cracked my front right bumper, may have broken the clip to the fog light (amg), Cracked the bottom shield cover that covers the under carriage (not too worried bout that, thats why its there) and but a nice long crack on the side skirt that runs on the bottom of the skirt. You can hear the fog light rattle sometimes. It completely took the side marker off with the bulb, I can rewire that without a problem. Just need to buy another clear side marker.

So I took it to a autobody (M1) that comes higher recommeded in Socal. They wanted to charge me $900 to fix it and he was going to shave the side markers off.

Should I get it fixed or should I purchase a new bumper S65 style? Or does anyone know of somewhere cheaper I can get it done??

Attached a pic... The pics are being modest it actually doesn't look too bad in the pics but the cracks are actually pretty long.
Attached Thumbnails Cracked my front bumper and side skirt-img_1198.jpg   Cracked my front bumper and side skirt-img_1199.jpg   Cracked my front bumper and side skirt-img_1201.jpg  
Old 07-15-2009, 05:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
bummer. But you may as well bite the bullet and fix it right. But hey, why not throw in clear side marker light covers (with amber bulbs)? Looks better than the amber lamp covers. Avail. @ 123 Mercedes.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by slau2332
Over the weekend a flying piece of tired attacked me!!!! It cracked my front right bumper, may have broken the clip to the fog light (amg), Cracked the bottom shield cover that covers the under carriage (not too worried bout that, thats why its there) and but a nice long crack on the side skirt that runs on the bottom of the skirt. You can hear the fog light rattle sometimes. It completely took the side marker off with the bulb, I can rewire that without a problem. Just need to buy another clear side marker.

So I took it to a autobody (M1) that comes higher recommeded in Socal. They wanted to charge me $900 to fix it and he was going to shave the side markers off.

Should I get it fixed or should I purchase a new bumper S65 style? Or does anyone know of somewhere cheaper I can get it done??

Attached a pic... The pics are being modest it actually doesn't look too bad in the pics but the cracks are actually pretty long.
It depends on how much you want to spend. The S65 bumper cover alone is going to cost you at least $1,200; plus you will need new lower mesh grills (another $400), the side marker lights are different. possibly the fog lights will need changed. The S65 bumper may even require you to replace some of the inner components such as the front inner fenders. Then you have paint and labor. Costly.

Thev repair cost at $900 appears to be reasonable. Someone opened their door on my wife's S550 and left a dent and a 3" crease in the driver's door. The dent/crease was very close to the door edge and even if paintless dent repair coud get to it it would not work since the door is aluminum. That little dent cost me $1,500 to get it repaired.
The side markers do not need to be shaved off. They attach with a bracket from the inside of the bumper cover.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:29 PM

08 S550, 08 E63
Originally Posted by carsnob
bummer. But you may as well bite the bullet and fix it right. But hey, why not throw in clear side marker light covers (with amber bulbs)? Looks better than the amber lamp covers. Avail. @ 123 Mercedes.
Thats what I had. Clear side markers. I just need to bulb socket and wire it back on there. Why pay someone to do that when I could do it myself.

Last edited by slau2332; 07-15-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:38 PM

08 S550, 08 E63
Originally Posted by lkirchner
It depends on how much you want to spend. The S65 bumper cover alone is going to cost you at least $1,200; plus you will need new lower mesh grills (another $400), the side marker lights are different. possibly the fog lights will need changed. The S65 bumper may even require you to replace some of the inner components such as the front inner fenders. Then you have paint and labor. Costly.

Thev repair cost at $900 appears to be reasonable. Someone opened their door on my wife's S550 and left a dent and a 3" crease in the driver's door. The dent/crease was very close to the door edge and even if paintless dent repair coud get to it it would not work since the door is aluminum. That little dent cost me $1,500 to get it repaired.
The side markers do not need to be shaved off. They attach with a bracket from the inside of the bumper cover.
Yea the S65 bumper will cost about $2500 with install and paint with the mesh and lights. They said they could fit it since they do custom work or benz. They told me some guy has his sl changed to look like an SL65. I'm not trying to pass it off as a S65 unlike him, I just like the kit.

I know the side markers don't need to be shaved off, he was only suggesting that I do it since he's fixing it already. Said it would look better but I didn't really matter to me. I should have bought a used S65 bumper I saw on ebay for $1200. It came complete and just needed to be painted and retrofitted. But at the car was fine hahah oh well. Most likely just get it repaired.
Thx for the input guys!!!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:07 PM

SRT8 Challenge,MB S550, MB SL65 45th ann, MB GL450, Range Rover, Maserati GranTurismo Sport
something similar happened to markpolo which is the thread above you he cracked his cl... i suggest that you guys both get the lorinser front bumper.. a bit pricey but hey its a quality/ awesome looking bumper