S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

New Jaguar

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
New Jaguar

Since Tata bought out Jaguar, what do you guys think of this new one?
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4469352
Old 07-26-2009, 10:15 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Have never been impressed by Jag for its tech innovation or safety or performance or elegance or ergonomics....seems like a man-purse of a car, much like Aston or Bentley or Rolls or RangeRover

The car that should be an intriguing back-to-back driving comparo vs '10 S65 will be Panamera Turbo

Loaded PanamTurbo is about $180K vs $200K for S65....but 738lb-ft vs a piddly ~550lb-ft...and 5000lb 65 vs ~4700lb P...and a fugly hatchback with all its negative safety and design implications

Examining PanamTurbo specs, one quickly sees how primitive is latest P tech vs latest tech from MB/AMG....but will be fun to drive 'em both this Fall to confirm
Old 07-26-2009, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
ugh. will someone ban this individual already.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:01 PM

2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
Once made the mistake of putting my wife into a Jag x series. Really felt like a Ford Taurus or rental car. Had to dump it after a few weeks. Jag makes nice interiors, but they seem to drive really loosey goosey. A BMW 3 series drives better, so if you're an S class fan, then the Jag could never be a consideration.
Man purse/*** bag/....indeed
Old 07-26-2009, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've driven both the x308 (xjr) and x350 (vanden plas) chassis xj's and both cars had a wonderful sense of immediacy. the light weight nature of the car really makes them nice to drive. too bad the interior on the x350 is plasticky, cheap, and lacking some features i really wanted on my next car. i wonder if depreciation is going to rear its ugly head as fast on the new one.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:17 AM

'12 ML350
I think it would be prudent not to write off recent Jaguars without a test drive.

I'm interested in trying out the new XF and XF-R when my E63 lease is close to ending.

My wife and I had rented an XJ8 in 2003 in the Bay Area and it was a wonderful driving car, surprising me - a long time BMW owner so that was my only comparison. That was the last Jaguar I drove so based on recent press, I can only guess the products have improved.

The XJ8 did lack trunk space though - hope the newer cars have addressed this practical issue.

The new XJ isn't my cup of tea - yet - based on the press photos: the rear light clusters look odd and suspiciously like the strange headlights of the Lancia Thesis. But I'd give it a chance when a test drive is available.

As for the X-Type Jaguar, it's generally agreed that it was an awful car and a rebadged Ford Mondeo with AWD thrown in to differentiate it from the blue oval FWD product. So don't think the X-Type is a proper yard stick for Jaguar comparisons, especially now that Tata is giving the JLR group some leeway to manage its own products and product development.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 560SEC Teal 1989 420SEL Ice Blue 1984 500SEC White
I agree with you. The owner of Tata motors is a business man but also a car head.
I think he will resurrect Jaguar from the British/Ford embers and recreate a world class vehicle. As we all know Lucas has always been a major problem for Jags even before the British Leyland Rover company had them.
Jaguars have typically had terrible resale values, just check Manaheim.

Originally Posted by rkao
I think it would be prudent not to write off recent Jaguars without a test drive.

I'm interested in trying out the new XF and XF-R when my E63 lease is close to ending.

My wife and I had rented an XJ8 in 2003 in the Bay Area and it was a wonderful driving car, surprising me - a long time BMW owner so that was my only comparison. That was the last Jaguar I drove so based on recent press, I can only guess the products have improved.

The XJ8 did lack trunk space though - hope the newer cars have addressed this practical issue.

The new XJ isn't my cup of tea - yet - based on the press photos: the rear light clusters look odd and suspiciously like the strange headlights of the Lancia Thesis. But I'd give it a chance when a test drive is available.

As for the X-Type Jaguar, it's generally agreed that it was an awful car and a rebadged Ford Mondeo with AWD thrown in to differentiate it from the blue oval FWD product. So don't think the X-Type is a proper yard stick for Jaguar comparisons, especially now that Tata is giving the JLR group some leeway to manage its own products and product development.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:57 PM

'09 S63 AMG
Great looking car! I like the front end a lot! Very aggressive. What are those, 21" wheels? The interior is classy and incorporates touches from the the 1950's British racing heritage...

Bowers & Wilkins speakers? Wow! That's very very high end stuff! Trust me - I know - I own a couple of B&W 310 watt towers

As far as driving experience? Who knows what TATA puts under the hood?

Last edited by AustinGuy; 07-27-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:59 PM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by Oliverk
ugh. will someone ban this individual already.
Dude - what's your beef with trumpet1?

Old 07-27-2009, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Thanks for all of the comments. I hope you guys realize I just threw this topic up for good ol' luxury car talk. I know we like to compare and contrast these 'toys' and this one seemed like fresh new meat to talk about since we've beaten BMW/Lexus/Bentley up pretty bad. All of them are fine cars but I find it interesting to see Jag shuffle up their menu a bit from the past. It does seems like a nice looking car on initial views. Hope to test drive one one day and give some true thoughts of it.
I probably would never buy a Jag, but I do like to consider them.
MB is my favorite, then Audi, , BMW, Bentley, Lexus , Jag in that order.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:32 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
W222 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by rkao

I bought an XF Supercharged in November after 3 test drives.

Awesome engine (420bhp), incredible brakes, terrific steering, beautiful lines, cheap interior and awful reliability.

4 months later I had so many problems they offered me a replacement vehicle or my cash back - after my experience I wouldn't accept a replacement so Jag bought the car back and off to the Mercedes dealer I went.

Buyer beware.

...... BEFORE ........ and AFTER
Attached Thumbnails New Jaguar-jag.jpg   New Jaguar-benz.jpg  
Old 07-27-2009, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by Mandingo

Awesome engine (420bhp), incredible brakes, terrific steering, beautiful lines, cheap interior and awful reliability.

4 months later I had so many problems they offered me a replacement vehicle or my cash back - after my experience I wouldn't accept a replacement so Jag bought the car back and off to the Mercedes dealer I went.

Buyer beware.

Wow! Is the XF a Ford inspired/built product?, and since Ford is now out of the picture (I suppose), does Tata still build the car the same way Ford did utilizing the same suppliers, mechanics, factory???

Regardless, the whole automotive family tree is totally screwed up with the global economy in the mess it's in. Check out this link:

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/Car...thumb1280x1280

To help clear up some of the confusion, here is a road map to navigate who owns what brands among the major companies that sell in the U.S. car market.

BMW owns: BMW, Mini, and Rolls Royce

Fiat owns: Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Fiat, Lancia, Maserati; Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep–20-percent stake

Ford Motor Company owns: Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Volvo (for now), and still owns 13.4 percent of Mazda

General Motors owns: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC. Also owns a controlling interest in Daewoo, as well as Opel and Vauxhall in Europe and Holden in Australia. (Pontiac to be discontinued)

Honda owns: Honda, Acura

Hyundai owns: Hyundai, Kia

Tata Motors (India) owns: Jaguar and Land Rover

Mazda (partially owned by Ford)

Mitsubishi

Daimler AG owns: Mercedes-Benz and Smart

Nissan owns: Nissan and Infiniti (Nissan is owned by Renault--France)

Porsche owns: Porsche and a majority share in Volkswagen

Subaru (A controlling interest of Subaru is owned by Toyota)

Suzuki

Toyota Motor Company owns: Lexus, Toyota, Scion, Daihatsu and Hino Motors, with a stake in Fuji Industries (Subaru’s parent company) and Isuzu

Volkswagen owns: Audi, Volkswagen, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, and overseas SEAT and Skoda.

In formal negotiations to be sold:
Hummer: Tengzhong (China)
Saturn: Penske Automotive Group
Saab: Koenigsegg (Sweden)

Last edited by trumpet1; 07-27-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Tata, of course, is a company based out of India.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by Mandingo

Buyer beware.

You were fortunate to get out of that mess that easy. At least you ended up with a winner.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:35 AM

2005 Range Rover HSE, 2008 BMW M3 Cab d/c, 2010 GL550 (wifes), 1993 Porsche 928GTS 32kmi garage quee
Originally Posted by trumpet1
Wow! Is the XF a Ford inspired/built product?, and since Ford is now out of the picture (I suppose), does Tata still build the car the same way Ford did utilizing the same suppliers, mechanics, factory???

Regardless, the whole automotive family tree is totally screwed up with the global economy in the mess it's in. Check out this link:

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/Car...thumb1280x1280

To help clear up some of the confusion, here is a road map to navigate who owns what brands among the major companies that sell in the U.S. car market.

BMW owns: BMW, Mini, and Rolls Royce

Fiat owns: Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Fiat, Lancia, Maserati; Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep–20-percent stake

Ford Motor Company owns: Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Volvo (for now), and still owns 13.4 percent of Mazda

General Motors owns: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC. Also owns a controlling interest in Daewoo, as well as Opel and Vauxhall in Europe and Holden in Australia. (Pontiac to be discontinued)

Honda owns: Honda, Acura

Hyundai owns: Hyundai, Kia

Tata Motors (India) owns: Jaguar and Land Rover

Mazda (partially owned by Ford)

Mitsubishi

Daimler AG owns: Mercedes-Benz and Smart

Nissan owns: Nissan and Infiniti (Nissan is owned by Renault--France)

Porsche owns: Porsche and a majority share in Volkswagen

Subaru (A controlling interest of Subaru is owned by Toyota)

Suzuki

Toyota Motor Company owns: Lexus, Toyota, Scion, Daihatsu and Hino Motors, with a stake in Fuji Industries (Subaru’s parent company) and Isuzu

Volkswagen owns: Audi, Volkswagen, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, and overseas SEAT and Skoda.

In formal negotiations to be sold:
Hummer: Tengzhong (China)
Saturn: Penske Automotive Group
Saab: Koenigsegg (Sweden)
Wow trumpet your really doing a great job on this thread!!!! Enjoying!
I really like the new 510hp XFR (i think its called) but the rear is way too small for a four door. I have not driven it yet however. I would also consider the new 550 HP Cadillac CTS-V that can find its way around the ring faster than any other four door apparently. The new model that your previewing that replaces the XJ should be quite exciting to see and drive. Quite an improvement. My luxury fav's in order would be MB, BMW, Audi, ....Actually would not consider much else for a sedan except the CTS-V.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:00 PM

Mercedes-Benz S600
mercedes-benz is the only car to drive if you care about yourself. a jaguar is for people who have bad feelings and cannot affors s600. if you think you want jaguar just walk instead. walk until you get to s600 and buy s600.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:07 PM

2015 S550, 2016 Escalade
Originally Posted by OnlyMercedes600
mercedes-benz is the only car to drive if you care about yourself. a jaguar is for people who have bad feelings and cannot affors s600. if you think you want jaguar just walk instead. walk until you get to s600 and buy s600.
Looks like we found a new idiot to "contribute".
Old 07-29-2009, 02:23 PM

Mercedes-Benz S600
Originally Posted by hayden
Looks like we found a new idiot to "contribute".
looks like i see "someone" who cannot afford s600.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:46 PM

SRT8 Challenge,MB S550, MB SL65 45th ann, MB GL450, Range Rover, Maserati GranTurismo Sport
I don't see how that makes any sense that jaguar is for people that cannot afford s600's... I was recently about to buy a supercharged xf when they came out because i simply loved the new body style and after test driving it i loved it. a few years i had an xj... and quite frankly i can easily afford a s600 so i dnt think that makes any sense how jaguar is for people that cannot afford and S. Terrible statement my friend!
Old 07-29-2009, 06:11 PM

2005 Range Rover HSE, 2008 BMW M3 Cab d/c, 2010 GL550 (wifes), 1993 Porsche 928GTS 32kmi garage quee
This is fun reading
Old 07-29-2009, 06:18 PM

Mercedes-Benz S600
I give you the truth and you treat me like i am the fat african american guy in the room who farts and doesn't take responsibility and just leaves. I cannot beleive the atitude.

those who have s600 know there is no other car in the world. i had some guy who looked like a girl fight with me the other day saying his lexus was a luxury car. lets get this straight-lexus is a bicycle.

the day life turns good is the day you own s600. when you own the 2nd s600 life is better. there is no car you look better smoking in then s600.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:27 PM

SRT8 Challenge,MB S550, MB SL65 45th ann, MB GL450, Range Rover, Maserati GranTurismo Sport
AI lol'd your making the s600 to be some supercar. Your materialistic beyond belief and I find it quite funny.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
Originally Posted by OnlyMercedes600
I give you the truth and you treat me like i am the fat african american guy in the room who farts and doesn't take responsibility and just leaves. I cannot beleive the atitude.

those who have s600 know there is no other car in the world. i had some guy who looked like a girl fight with me the other day saying his lexus was a luxury car. lets get this straight-lexus is a bicycle.

the day life turns good is the day you own s600. when you own the 2nd s600 life is better. there is no car you look better smoking in then s600.
You must look stupid next to someone with a S65...
Old 07-29-2009, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by vonbeeler
This is fun reading
Yes! Even though you've sold your MB, aren't you glad you stuck around for the drama (and immaturity)?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by trumpet1
Yes! Even though you've sold your MB, aren't you glad you stuck around for the drama (and immaturity)?
LOL yes. This is good entertainment. Just when things were a little quiet the natives are getting restless.

Car talk and laughs! this is good.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Jaguar