S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Power steering pump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Power steering pump

Just got my car back after being in the shop for over a week. Took it in for Schedule D and my complaint list included 1. chrome strips at the bottom of the doors were loose and needed new clips , 2. groaning sound in the front of the engine area and was worried it might be the idler pulley going bad again, 3. Keyfob needed a spring replaced in it. 4. left headlight has been getting moisture in it since I've owned it and I notice it mostly after washing it.

The chrome strips were repaired with new clips, headlight was fixed as a seal had somehow come loose (factory or later, we don't know), key fob was fixed with no issue, and schedule D was completed and I get a call that my car would be ready that afternoon.

The groaning sound was a result of low level of fluid in the power steering pump , not the idler pulley (thank God). That was the good news. Now the bad news. After the service was completed and they test drove the car, they brought it back to the shop to wrap things up when suddenly the hose to the power steering pump busted, spilling fluid all over their floor!!! They quickly called me back and said that my car would need to remain in the hospital for some more surgery. After ordering the part, they received the wrong part and had to order it again. Overall, it took a week to replace the hose.
Bottom line , the groaning sound vanished. It just seems odd that a hose would bust at only 40K miles and exactly at the same time it was getting serviced.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche, Cadillac
Well, I hope you don't have too many more extra miles put on your car...

P.S. If that's really what happened, be glad it didn't happen to you while you were driving. This happened to my wife in her (at the time) brand new GL450 after it needed an engine replacement. Luckily, she was in a parking garage, but she lost all ability to steer normally. I don't think that would've been too pretty on the freeway. After that day, she was able to get MB to buy it back from us which turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Last edited by QuadBenz; 10-12-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by QuadBenz
P.S. If that's really what happened, be glad it didn't happen to you while you were driving. .
Those were the same words the service advisor told me.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:31 PM

'09 S63 AMG
sorry to hear that

Hopefully she's alright now and ready to be ridden again
Old 10-15-2009, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550 / S430 / E320
Originally Posted by trumpet1
Just got my car back after being in the shop for over a week. Took it in for Schedule D and my complaint list included 1. chrome strips at the bottom of the doors were loose and needed new clips , 2. groaning sound in the front of the engine area and was worried it might be the idler pulley going bad again, 3. Keyfob needed a spring replaced in it. 4. left headlight has been getting moisture in it since I've owned it and I notice it mostly after washing it.

The chrome strips were repaired with new clips, headlight was fixed as a seal had somehow come loose (factory or later, we don't know), key fob was fixed with no issue, and schedule D was completed and I get a call that my car would be ready that afternoon.

The groaning sound was a result of low level of fluid in the power steering pump , not the idler pulley (thank God). That was the good news. Now the bad news. After the service was completed and they test drove the car, they brought it back to the shop to wrap things up when suddenly the hose to the power steering pump busted, spilling fluid all over their floor!!! They quickly called me back and said that my car would need to remain in the hospital for some more surgery. After ordering the part, they received the wrong part and had to order it again. Overall, it took a week to replace the hose.
Bottom line , the groaning sound vanished. It just seems odd that a hose would bust at only 40K miles and exactly at the same time it was getting serviced.
I would suggest the power steering hose was damaged when they replaced your idler pully. I thought there were vent holes in the headlamps to let moisture out. Seems odd that the chrome strips would come loose on the bottom of the doors unless you let wax get in the cracks and use some sort of tool to clean it out. I don't think there is a spring in the key fob - three microswitches on a circuit board and a battery holder. Hope they at least gave you a car to use while you were waiting.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by NJS430
I would suggest the power steering hose was damaged when they replaced your idler pully. I thought there were vent holes in the headlamps to let moisture out. Seems odd that the chrome strips would come loose on the bottom of the doors unless you let wax get in the cracks and use some sort of tool to clean it out. I don't think there is a spring in the key fob - three microswitches on a circuit board and a battery holder. Hope they at least gave you a car to use while you were waiting.
I can't believe you said this as I thought the very same thing during the week I was without my car. I find it hard to believe that a hose just busted while in the shop without being tampered with in some way. The chrome strips ( all 4 of them) were loose and the backing was hanging down on one of them.
The headlight did have a seal that had been dislodged and simply needed snapping back on , how it came off is a mystery to me. It seems to be fine now.
Wax would not be an issue as I've only waxed it once.

Now my driver's seat heat doesn't work. It works on the back part but not on the buttocks part . I am going to check connections and fuses first but if they seem OK, back to the shop again